Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-13-2018, 9:14 AM

Default New found love for my Springfield XD

The very first pistol I ever purchased was a Springfield XD 45. I think I paid between $500-$600 for it out the door. Since then I've bought many others, sold a few, all of which have been more expensive (except my shield), some by a good margin. Needless to say, most of my trips to the range the XD didn't come out to play, because I wanted to shoot the HKs, the CZs, etc. I even considered selling it since I hardly ever shot it, and let's be honest, it's no beauty queen.

But, I went to the range this past week and decided to bring it and put some rounds through it, and to my surprise it was my best shooting pistol of the day! For some reason the trigger just felt better than any of the others and all of my shots were right on point. I don't know if it's the experience I've gained from shooting all the others over the years, and I know my technique had improved, but I was just blown away by how good of a shooter it is. My only complaint is the integrated grip safety which I really don't like. I'd rather have an external safety switch.

Anyway just thought I'd share. I was really impressed with it this past week. I'm curious what others think of their XD compared to other pistols they own. I have also shot a 9mm XD compact, and that one was really impressive as well. My whole family shot well with it, first time any of us had ever tried one.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2018, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
The very first pistol I ever purchased was a Springfield XD 45. I think I paid between $500-$600 for it out the door. Since then I've bought many others, sold a few, all of which have been more expensive (except my shield), some by a good margin. Needless to say, most of my trips to the range the XD didn't come out to play, because I wanted to shoot the HKs, the CZs, etc. I even considered selling it since I hardly ever shot it, and let's be honest, it's no beauty queen.

But, I went to the range this past week and decided to bring it and put some rounds through it, and to my surprise it was my best shooting pistol of the day! For some reason the trigger just felt better than any of the others and all of my shots were right on point. I don't know if it's the experience I've gained from shooting all the others over the years, and I know my technique had improved, but I was just blown away by how good of a shooter it is. My only complaint is the integrated grip safety which I really don't like. I'd rather have an external safety switch.

Anyway just thought I'd share. I was really impressed with it this past week. I'm curious what others think of their XD compared to other pistols they own. I have also shot a 9mm XD compact, and that one was really impressive as well. My whole family shot well with it, first time any of us had ever tried one.

XD is a good proven weapon. I love all my XD's. It performs and shoots well. I always go back to my trusty XD's after I venture off the reservation

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 10-13-2018, 9:56 AM
Gravity Sucks
CGN Contributor

The XD is a good pistol. I switched to Glocks because I just didn’t like the grip safety. But that won’t be a big deal for the average shooter. Although I did enjoy the ergonomics of the XD.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. Til Valhall...
Old 10-13-2018, 10:35 AM

XD is solid. Feels better to me in hand than Glock. I had a 4" and 6" 9mm. Sold them but now have 9mm and .45 XD-M.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:44 AM

My XD45 was the first plastic pistol I bought. It has never had an issue. I just wish it was cheaper to feed.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Those XD subcompacts impressed me - a little chunky, but really easy to shoot and better grip than Glocks.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:58 AM

Going to have to try one out. That is the one main stream semi that I have never shot before- I have never even held an XD. I'll check them out next time at LGS.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:07 PM

I have an XD and while I shoot my 1911s and CZs and S&Ws and Walthers a lot, I shoot the XD once in a great while and like OP I am always impressed with the piece all over again. The ergonomics and trigger pull are outstanding, and the pistol delivers a reliable accuracy; really, there's nothing at all wrong with the XD. I like shooting it, but why I don't shoot it more, I can't say.

(Side note: the police in Perugia, Italy are armed with XD 9 pistols. I wondered about that but then realized Croatia - where the gun is built - is just across the border.)

Last edited by aklon; 10-18-2018 at 8:03 AM..
Old 10-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Currently have three. XD-m 45 4, XD45 and the wife just acquired an XD9.

They are ALL very accurate, point well and have great ergonomics. The triggers are just easier to manipulate and more intuitive. The grip safety is a non issue for us. I have to TRY to not engage the grip safety. I actually use it when I reholster-I lift my palm so that its not engaged.

Anyways, love the XD!!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:28 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post

IMO it makes sense as it was your first pistol you trained on. While my story isn't quite the same, the glock 30 was the first striker fired pistol I purchased 20 years ago and to this day I can't shoot as well with any other striker fired model than the g30. The only difference in my story is that I purchased a S&W model 39-2 DA/SA in the 80s and I can shoot that particular model as well as the g30. However since they aren't the same caliber, it's not quite a fair comparison.
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Welcome back Fjold!!!

Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman
Old 10-13-2018, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
XD is solid. Feels better to me in hand than Glock. I had a 4" and 6" 9mm. Sold them but now have 9mm and .45 XD-M.
Same. Just fits my hand better.
My XD45 has been a trooper, and now looking to get a 9mm Tactical...
Political tags such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. Robert A. Heinlein

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds Samuel Adams
Old 10-13-2018, 2:11 PM

Default XD's are well built & reliable pieces

I picked up this brand new XD9 SC, and put 1000 rds through it without a hitch

tested 15 different types, brands of ammunition, including JHP defense loads, it took anything I fed it, including the WWB people are always complaining about?

these are well worth the price, they even give three extra mags with the rebate, a really great deal

Last edited by omega; 10-13-2018 at 2:15 PM..
Old 10-13-2018, 2:17 PM

I have 6 XD. When I bought my XD-M .45 first time out I thought it was too much gun. Then, once broken-in, I love it. IMO, these guns need about 500 rounds to smooth them out and break-in.

Old 10-13-2018, 2:48 PM

Ive got three as well. XDm 9, XD40, and XDs 45. Love them all and they shoot great. I have nothing against Glocks, theyve just never felt comfortable. XDs feel good and shoot where I point. Id buy more if it wasnt for that damn roster. The XD OSP is one Id buy in a heartbeat.

Obligatory pic of the fam.

Old 10-13-2018, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

I just picked up a barely used XD9 4" with a ton of mags for a really good deal. Looking forward to shooting it. I can already tell it will shoot well. I like the trigger. I dont know why people complain about the trigger. Every trigger is different but that doesnt mean its bad.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 10-13-2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
I like the trigger. I dont know why people complain about the trigger. Every trigger is different but that doesnt mean its bad.
The stock trigger is excellent. I was liking the pull better than my HK compact and CZs the other day. Granted I haven't put many rounds through the CZs yet so I'm sure they'll smooth out, but the XD trigger is a real treat.

Old 10-13-2018, 5:37 PM

An XD9 4" was my first gun owned, but not my first semiauto pistol I ever fired, which was a g19. My initial hatred of the glock had a lot to do with the frame being too small for my hands, which the XD filled just right. Having not enough time shooting guns ever, I didn't know what people were talking about when they said the trigger was mushy. The only thing I know for sure, that reset on it is pretty ...far.

I kind of want to take mine out to the range tomorrow, but I have a brand new 1911 to break in that I'd rather shoot
Old 10-13-2018, 6:00 PM

I have 4" XD 40, XD 40sc, and XD 45. My 4" XD 40 was my first handgun, it has well over 10k rounds no issues at all. Love the XD.
Old 10-13-2018, 6:35 PM

Default recoil spring replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal0327 View Post
I have 4" XD 40, XD 40sc, and XD 45. My 4" XD 40 was my first handgun, it has well over 10k rounds no issues at all. Love the XD.
are you still using your original recoil spring in your first XD40 or has it been replaced with a new one? Im curious how many rounds the XD recoil spring assembly can go?
Old 10-13-2018, 6:53 PM

I have three (or seven, depending on how you count 'em):
  • XD-40 4" (with 357 Sig and 9mm conversion barrels)
  • XD-40SC 3" (with 357 Sig and 9mm conversion barrels)
  • XD-45 4"
...and I love them all.
Old 10-13-2018, 9:45 PM

Very nice! Will have to check one out!
Old 10-14-2018, 9:39 AM

Most of my pistols are part SA, if you you like the XD line. Try and pick up an XDM...those pistols are everything nice on the XD but shoots way better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

I wanted a double stack 45acp. I shot the Glock and an XD 45 tactical in a A/B comparison at a LGS/range.

I bought the XD. I own several Glocks too, all in 9mm tho.
The grip is very comfortable despite the width.

Sure it's blocky looking with slide serrations up front. Grip safety is very turn of the last century and not necessary. The loaded chamber indicator is too high when chamber is full. Cocked/uncocked indicator button is too sharp and small.

...and that pistol is reliable with ammo of all types and puts the bullets where I'm looking with steel sights that are pretty good. XD was actually cheaper than the Glock at that time.

So to sum it up...
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

I didnt know I was a slave until I found out I couldnt do the things I wanted.
Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess- View Post
Most of my pistols are part SA, if you you like the XD line. Try and pick up an XDM...those pistols are everything nice on the XD but shoots way better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I really dig my XD-m 45. Great shooter. The grip is eve so slightly thicker than an XD45. I find the XD45 to be a smidgen more comfortable. Not sure if any differences between the XD9 vs an XD-m 9.

Of the 3 that I have, the XD9 has the lightest trigger (brand new out of the box) then the XD45 (1k rounds) and lastly the XD-m 45 (3k-4K?). They come in at 6.3 lbs, 6.5 lbs and 6.675 lbs average of 5 pulls.

The biggest difference in feel is between the two 45s and the 9. Its tough to detect a difference between the XD and XD-m.

In the looks department, the XD-m wins hands down. Just a much better looking and better balanced looking gun too. That extra 1/2 of the XD-m along with the different slide contour and grip texture give it the edge.

Id hate to part with any.

Shameless plug: I am selling my XD-m though.

OP-agree with you 1,000%, the XD line up just doesnt get any love. Not sure why.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-14-2018, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

I wanted a double stack 45acp. I shot the Glock and an XD 45 tactical in a A/B comparison at a LGS/range.

I bought the XD. I own several Glocks too, all in 9mm tho.
The grip is very comfortable despite the width.

Sure it's blocky looking with slide serrations up front. Grip safety is very turn of the last century and not necessary. The loaded chamber indicator is too high when chamber is full. Cocked/uncocked indicator button is too sharp and small.

...and that pistol is reliable with ammo of all types and puts the bullets where I'm looking with steel sights that are pretty good. XD was actually cheaper than the Glock at that time.

So to sum it up...

Nice summary! However, I find the loaded chamber indicator and striker indicator to both be very unobtrusive. Doesnt obstruct my view of the sights and no ghastly RED lettering etc ala M&P.

Same with the grip safety. Never an issue with any of my XDs or 1911s.

Happy shooting and be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-17-2018, 8:48 PM

Love my xd40. Easy to shoot and very accurate. Grip felt better than the glock 22. Needless to say, I no longer have the glock. Now, if we can just get the 10mm here...

Last edited by silvertriple; 10-17-2018 at 8:51 PM..
Old 11-10-2018, 9:40 PM

Tried the xd45 and at 50yards I was hitting it. Recoil easy and the pistol as a whole is light. Grip is a 1911 feel just as described. Back strap safety Non issue. This will be a great HD tool. Just need night sights. Next on the list xd9 4''' and it's on sale. I tried a glock 17 gen 4 and I just wasn't hitting. I think I just need to practice because it's a keeper too.
Old 11-10-2018, 9:44 PM

Glock 21 gen4 is a sweet shooter too and the recoil has a shorter kick than the xd45. Overall xd45 was more accurate for me.
Old 11-11-2018, 2:29 AM

Never fired an XD. Have an XD9 in the safe waiting for its turn. Maybe I'll have to take her out sooner than later. Have several Glocks, but I must say the XD fits my hand better. Grip safety isn't needed, but doesn't seem to bother me.
Thanks for the post OP.
Old 11-11-2018, 2:40 AM

If I am able to overcome my aversion to striker fired handguns, I'd buy an SA XD, possibly a Shield, definitely an SA.

This could be therapy for my aversion: https://www.turners.com/springfield-...rrel-ge-665442
Old 11-11-2018, 8:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMP3 View Post
If I am able to overcome my aversion to striker fired handguns, I'd buy an SA XD, possibly a Shield, definitely an SA.

This could be therapy for my aversion: https://www.turners.com/springfield-...rrel-ge-665442

I felt the same way being a 1911 snob.

After I purchased my XD-m 45, it took me a while to warm up to the trigger. But after quite a bit, I finally settled into it. I appreciate the extra capacity and light rail as well as weight savings.

Im still a 1911 snob and carry it almost daily, but having options and different flavors is nice.
M&P 15 (Mine)