Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Arrow Pistol Suppressor Height Sights with RDS...needed? Worth it?

Hello all,

I just got a Holosun 507C mounted on my pistol. My sights are still the standard low sights and are essentially useless. My question is, is it worth to get suppressor height sights?

I would like responses from people with actual experience please.

There is the argument that you should always have a backup just in case the sight goes down. But this sight has a built in solar cell, so unless the sun goes out, it will always run.

Up to now, I have been training with just the RDS and no sights. Working well so far.

Iíve also heard to just run the front high sight only and not the rear sight.

This will be used for plinking, tacticool operator training for YouTube vids and also as my CCW pistol.

Thank you for your help!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:40 AM

I don't run either and its perfectly fine. I think it would be a bit faster to find the red dot with the suppressor size sights and if the rds ever goes out, you can have a funcational backup.

As far as the first issue, i just practice acquiring the sight more and i'm not too concerned about the second issue.

If you do go for a suppressor sights, do make sure the rear is blacked out. I've found if it has any coloration it can get pretty distracting competing with the red dot...
Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 PM

I would say yes. I run a Leupold Delta Point Pro. There is a podcast where a "Pro" shooter stated his Leupold's last about 8k rounds then die. He's got three and they have all died. I just think technology hasn't caught up with the pounding an electronic sight gets when mounted on a slide. I do not have suppressor sights on my handgun......yet.
Old 10-11-2018, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXP123 View Post
Hello all,

I just got a Holosun 507C mounted on my pistol. My sights are still the standard low sights and are essentially useless. My question is, is it worth to get suppressor height sights?

I would like responses from people with actual experience please.

There is the argument that you should always have a backup just in case the sight goes down. But this sight has a built in solar cell, so unless the sun goes out, it will always run.

Up to now, I have been training with just the RDS and no sights. Working well so far.

Iíve also heard to just run the front high sight only and not the rear sight.

This will be used for plinking, tacticool operator training for YouTube vids and also as my CCW pistol.

Thank you for your help!

Dawson Precision makes suppressor and RMR handgun sights in various heights for various handguns and various red dots. Call them and they will get you the correct sights for your application. They are fiber optic, so they are good in daylight if your red dot experiences washout in bright sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 5:09 PM

The main reason I use suppressor height sights on my RMR Glock is because it helps me find the dot faster/easier. So, while it may not be a needed upgrade, it certainly helps out (for me at least).
Old 10-11-2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Dawson Precision makes suppressor and RMR handgun sights in various heights for various handguns and various red dots. Call them and they will get you the correct sights for your application. They are fiber optic, so they are good in daylight if your red dot experiences washout in bright sunlight.

This
Old 10-11-2018, 6:07 PM

Suppressor Height Sight set is easier for you to zero your red dot and find the dot when you are going to shoot. I have 507c with supressor sights on my 2011 and it works great at 15 yards.
Old 10-11-2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
Suppressor Height Sight set is easier for you to zero your red dot and find the dot when you are going to shoot. I have 507c with supressor sights on my 2011 and it works great at 15 yards.
I have a 507C also! Awesome sight! Mounted on my H&K VP9. I have it zeroed at 10 yards right now.

Old 10-11-2018, 8:09 PM

If you ever have the possibility of using the gun around rapid lighting changes (in and around buildings: darkness in room A and bright light in room B) the hard sights are a must.

I use suppressor height sights on my pistols with a RDS installed for a few reasons, one of which is the above. Also, Iím so engrained in my draw/presentation to start picking up the front sight about midway away from my chest that when I first played with RDS pistols without suppressor sights, itís was just weird. Caused more confusion not having them there, and I found I was constantly ďsearchingĒ for the front sight alignment I would never get.

For a range toy though, whatever floats your boat! Those are all about fun.
Old 10-11-2018, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

If it's going to be a defensive pistol, I think you're CRAZY not to have iron sights. On a range toy it doesn't matter.

Also, there is a pretty good learning curve for most people with red dot sights. Most people take hundreds or even thousands of presentations before they're able to easily locate the dot on the draw. Most people starting out with a red dot will align the iron sights first to help guide them to the dot. Hence, iron signs aren't a "nice to have," they're mandatory for most people. YMMV.

Fighter Pilot
Old 10-11-2018, 9:22 PM

probably repeating...but yes IF

it is your primary self defense weapon (optics fail, impact or otherwise).
if it is your gtfood or shtf gun.

otherwise, nah.
Old 10-14-2018, 8:52 AM

Thank you all for your insight. Since this will be my CCW pistol, I will be adding a set of raised front sights to it.
Old 10-14-2018, 9:34 AM

If you are going to carry with a RDS, I would watch a couple Sage Dynamic videos on YouTube regarding RDS. Lots of good information there. It doesn’t mean you have to listen to everything he says, but the more information, the better.
Old 10-14-2018, 9:34 AM
Veteran Member

If that Holosun sits higher then a Trijicon RMR and is more similar to a Burris in base height you will not find a tall enough rear suppressor sight.
Heine (sp?) and Trijicon were the only two brands I could find for HK in suppressor sights. Neither of these will clear a Burris style base.
Dawson will custom make you a tall front sight. They do not manufacture tall HK rear ones.
Unless somethings changed in a matter of months your options are few.
Old 10-14-2018, 6:08 PM

This sis my Holosun sits on my 2011 with rmr plate and trijicon sight set. No co witness issue at all

Old 10-16-2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
This sis my Holosun sits on my 2011 with rmr plate and trijicon sight set. No co witness issue at all.
Wow that looks nice!! How do you like it like that? Do you find that your shots are still just as accurate? How often do you train? Any failures of the Holosun?
Old 10-16-2018, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXP123 View Post
Wow that looks nice!! How do you like it like that? Do you find that your shots are still just as accurate? How often do you train? Any failures of the Holosun?

I think I shoot better with Red dot coz itís easier to aim. I am not a good shooter, so this is my 15 yard target. I had about 150rds so I didnít have any failure since my 507c has finished the recall by holosun.