Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:02 AM

I just use my regular range bag. Why have two that you have to keep transferring stuff from one to the other? (Unless you have two of everything.)

Just use your regular bag and don't fill it up.

That said, I really like what I've been using. Nearly every compartment is lockable, it's well made, not expensive, and doesn't scream "GUN". (I removed the one small sewn on patch.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do have smaller bags, though. Here's the manufacturer's website:

http://www.explorerbag.com/category/range-bags/

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i do, but only when it is for pistols.

for rifles, even if i only bring out 1, i just take my regular range bag so i can use it as support instead of bringing a front bag.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 10-13-2018, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
I have used Lowes Tool Bags for 20 years now and my first one with my G35 in it is still going strong. I do have one Home Depot bag for my G36 and I just used a LAPG Small Bail Out Bag for my G23. None of these bags cost more than $15.

What I do is set up a new bag with everything that goes with that gun every time I get a new pistol.

That bag has pistol mags, extra ammo in either a box or small drawstring bag, holsters and gun belt along with whatever tools and spare parts are needed to support the gun.I also have packs of wipe on Sunscreen, and my common pills I might need in a pinch. IE: Heartburn, pain pills, lip balm etc.

I keep all the mags but one loaded and there is usually a loaded mag in the gun.

All my "Defensive Kit," for Rifles Pistols and Shotguns are setup as grab and go Kits. I can grab anyone of them and know that I have everything I need to wage war in one place, and ready to go.

I can grab a Rifle or Shotgun Bag and any of 5 different Pistol Bags and be good to go for and extended period of time.

It also works for going to 3 gun shoots and I have everything for each gun stocked and ready to go so all I have to do is load the car and drive to McDonalds for breakfast on the way to the range.

If you aren't already doing this you might think about it as it is definitely the most effective way to deal with the logistics of shooting multiple weapons systems.

Before this, I made and laminated lists for all 3 types of guns after I drove all the way to Front Sight and figured out that I left my Rifles at home!

They say "Necessity is the Mother of Invention."

Maybe true, but "Dumbass is definitely the Father!."

Randy

Problem is you probably don't shoot defensive ammo at matches and vice versa.

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.
Old 10-13-2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
Yes, a small bag came inside my full-size range bag
So.... did you get a litter of bag-ettes from that interaction?

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
Old 10-14-2018, 7:27 AM

For a one gun trip I just take the gun in its original box and throw my ammo, eyes and ears into a grocery bag.
Old 10-14-2018, 6:23 PM

https://us.directactiongear.com/pack...t-waist-bag#02

Very well made. A little pricy but I think its worth it.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 PM

Default New to California question

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillman View Post
Not small but all in one box

$ 30.00 on sale, one lock easy This is the #3800 deep enough to stand pistols up.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...therproof+case

If only one firearm than maybe the smaller one can work.
They have four size #1800 #2800 #3800 #4800 on sale all the time w/coupon
Maybe I'm missing something, but how can you take this (and some of the other bags shown on this thread) to the range? I thought the gun had to be locked up separate from the ammo.
Old 10-20-2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbles View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but how can you take this (and some of the other bags shown on this thread) to the range? I thought the gun had to be locked up separate from the ammo.
No ammo in firearm, locked in same case ok.

"Transporting handguns:
Place the unloaded handgun in a secure completely enclosing case and lock it in.
There is no guidance on what 'secure' means.

Gun locks purchased with the gun or otherwise do not meet the 'completely enclosed locked case' requirement.
The locked case with the unloaded handgun may be transported anyplace within a motor vehicle, and inside an outer case, range bag or backpack.
The law provides that the glove box of a vehicle is not acceptable as a locked container for transport - but does not define 'glove box'.

The law provides that the 'utility compartment' of a vehicle is not acceptable as a locked container for transport - but does not define 'utility compartment'.

There is concern that somehow attaching a separate locked container to one's vehicle makes that container a 'utility compartment'. Nobody knows if that is accurate.

A locked trunk is acceptable as a place to transport an unloaded handgun.
There are concerns expressed about 'pass-through' seats and remote trunk releases. Nobody knows for sure if those may be a problem.
Unloaded locked case is California's general rule for transporting handguns and is also the rule in California's Gun Free School Zone law.
Notes:
A disassembled firearm is still a firearm - if that firearm needs to be in a locked container, disassembling it does not change that requirement.

A 'cable lock' or 'trigger lock' is NOT a legal substitute for a locked container.
Transporting long guns:
California law is silent about IN-Vehicle transport of long guns.
California 'registered assault weapons' follow the same rules as handguns.

Federal law, the Gun Free School Zone, requires long guns to be EITHER in a locked container OR in a locking gun rack.

California law DOES regulate transport of long guns OUT OF a vehicle: in general, in an incorporated area, long guns must be cased. If the case is not designed as a gun case, the case must also be locked.
Transporting ammunition:
Both California and Federal law are silent on the transportation of ammunition.

So long as not transported in the gun to make it loaded, ammunition may be transported at any location in a vehicle, covered or open, locked or unlocked.
See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Librarian; 05-19-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-20-2018, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Price drop on this one to $32 - looks like a good option to me

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That was Optics Planet so they are charging $7 shipping I'd order from Capt Dave's instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UD6KWU13&psc=1

Last edited by crufflers; 10-20-2018 at 9:01 AM..
Old 10-20-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
No ammo in firearm, locked in same case ok.

"Transporting handguns:
Place the unloaded handgun in a secure completely enclosing case and lock it in.
There is no guidance on what 'secure' means.

Gun locks purchased with the gun or otherwise do not meet the 'completely enclosed locked case' requirement.
The locked case with the unloaded handgun may be transported anyplace within a motor vehicle, and inside an outer case, range bag or backpack.
The law provides that the glove box of a vehicle is not acceptable as a locked container for transport - but does not define 'glove box'.

The law provides that the 'utility compartment' of a vehicle is not acceptable as a locked container for transport - but does not define 'utility compartment'.

There is concern that somehow attaching a separate locked container to one's vehicle makes that container a 'utility compartment'. Nobody knows if that is accurate.

A locked trunk is acceptable as a place to transport an unloaded handgun.
There are concerns expressed about 'pass-through' seats and remote trunk releases. Nobody knows for sure if those may be a problem.
Unloaded locked case is California's general rule for transporting handguns and is also the rule in California's Gun Free School Zone law.
Notes:
A disassembled firearm is still a firearm - if that firearm needs to be in a locked container, disassembling it does not change that requirement.

A 'cable lock' or 'trigger lock' is NOT a legal substitute for a locked container.
Transporting long guns:
California law is silent about IN-Vehicle transport of long guns.
California 'registered assault weapons' follow the same rules as handguns.

Federal law, the Gun Free School Zone, requires long guns to be EITHER in a locked container OR in a locking gun rack.

California law DOES regulate transport of long guns OUT OF a vehicle: in general, in an incorporated area, long guns must be cased. If the case is not designed as a gun case, the case must also be locked.
Transporting ammunition:
Both California and Federal law are silent on the transportation of ammunition.

So long as not transported in the gun to make it loaded, ammunition may be transported at any location in a vehicle, covered or open, locked or unlocked.
See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Librarian; 05-19-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Thanks very much. I'm new to shooting in California. At the range I go to, everyone seems to lock their guns separately, so I thought that was the rule.

No one at the gun store could give me a definitive answer on how to transport the gun in my 2 door hatchback, where the hatch area is open to the cabin. Obviously, they said to leave it in the hatch area, but things can be reached from the driver seat when they slide forward.

Last edited by Crumbles; 10-20-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Old 10-20-2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbles View Post
Thanks very much. I'm new to shooting in California. At the range I go to, everyone seems to lock their guns separately, so I thought that was the rule.

No one at the gun store could give me a definitive answer on how to transport the gun in my 2 door hatchback, where the hatch area is open to the cabin. Obviously, they said to leave it in the hatch area, but things can be reached from the driver seat when they slide forward.
Make sure to cover the locked case with blanket or something. If a LEO can see a "gun case" they have the right to ask you open it. The firearm will be inspected and checked if unloaded. Calgunner was in traffic and a LEO noticed it on his seat. Sure enough the LEO let him pass and pulled him over. All legal but just a pain in the @ss.

A good start http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=901836
Confusion is what the CA DOJ wants http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=349
Old 10-20-2018, 6:39 PM

I use a cheap bag from Walmart....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GunMate-R...RoC_kMQAvD_BwE
Old 10-20-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Make sure to cover the locked case with blanket or something. If a LEO can see a "gun case" they have the right to ask you open it. The firearm will be inspected and checked if unloaded. Calgunner was in traffic and a LEO noticed it on his seat. Sure enough the LEO let him pass and pulled him over. All legal but just a pain in the @ss.

A good start http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=901836
Confusion is what the CA DOJ wants http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=349

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws View Post
Thank you for the advice and links. I'll put the gun case inside my backpack that I use to carry ammo and other gear.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:42 PM

Found a pretty cool little 1 or 2 gun bag today at Wally World, website says $17.60 but I payed $15.97. Nicely reinforced, mag pockets, even room for ear muffs (as demonstrated in the youtube review).

WalMart link...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fieldline...Black/26357373

YouTube review, since there are no pics in the WM page...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMk4LgCkZBE

I then use a 15" Home Depot Husky bag to throw pistol bags, ammo and the like in to. I like it because its nondescript ... "no guns in here."
Old 10-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.amazon.com/VooDoo-Tactic...oo+pistol+case

Just noticed these lock based on watching a Youtube overview. $26?? Great deal.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:40 PM

Just use a cooler, $1 re-useable shopping bag or some small hiking backpack you already have. Do you really need another bag?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh rick View Post
Just use a cooler, $1 re-useable shopping bag or some small hiking backpack you already have. Do you really need another bag?
I definitely do not need to buy another bag. But I like to. I did use my $25 REI backpack one time to haul a PC Carbine to the range... it kind of worked, but not ideal. No padding. I'd put ammo, ears, and double pistol case into something like that thin REI.

Last edited by crufflers; 10-24-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Old 10-24-2018, 3:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I always bring the same range bag. One gun or more. The bag has extra ear and eye pro, my uplula, markers, etc, etc. If I change bags, then I'll move stuff to the new bag and forget to move it back. I'm an old man and if I break routine, I'll forget and show up at the range missing something that is in the "other bag" and besides, what do you really save from bringing a smaller bag?

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 11-03-2018, 1:08 PM
Calguns Addict

A couple Voodoo bags and a FSDC... the FSDC has padded pockets on the outside where pistols could fit. The Small tan Voodoo bag has locking zippers, pretty small (narrow) but I can fit three revolvers in it inside rugs. Gifting that tan Voodoo to my uncle.

Consttuction on FDSC is OK but the Voodoo's both surpass it by quite a bit, just better materials, zippers, stitching.

I hate those stretch loops to hold pistols they are almost worthless.

Last edited by crufflers; 11-03-2018 at 1:11 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 2:40 PM
Calguns Addict

The difference between something like a Battlesteel covert and a FSDC/Ruger would be build quality, materials... the Battlesteel is something like MILSPEC or hard use with actual safety belt strapping used in construction and very thick canvas materials, great zippers around 46 ounces. FSDC, though well reviewed and loved IMHO, is one of those light as a feather Chinese bags with thin and shiny materials. But not bottom of the barrel. FSDC bag = 25 ounces.

FSDC bag has those nice pockets on the outside, but the Battlesteel has some room in the middle where you could stash some hand guns or guns in rugs, ammo, ears. I love the Battle Steel for $35. Ample room in there not stuffed and running out of pocket like the FSDC if your PCC is not configured as small as possible. I'm buying more - some might make it to Xmas as presents... mulling over the 36" options too. BUT 26" is ideal for the PCC.