Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-26-2012, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Handgun Registration

I've got a couple handguns. One I bought in 1968 from a LEO (he traded up to a Python) and one from a dealer in 1977. I read here about people being stopped and having their serial numbers checked to see if they are the registered owner. What will mine come back as if they are run?

Last edited by M1NM; 12-26-2012 at 7:36 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

The one bought from the dealer may come back with a DROS record. The AFS system came into place in the mid 70's and paper DROS forms mailed to DOJ by the dealer were manually inputted into the system. There is a chance the one from the 60's may have a DROS record to the original purchaser, but more than likely there will be no record.

Until 1992, transfers between private persons did not require the use of an FFL or any paperwork.

You can always submit a VolReg form which will generate a record similar to a DROS record in AFS. There are pros and cons to the VolReg. Many people want to be "of the grid" while others prefer a record in AFS to verify ownership.

If you are caught illegally carrying a concealed handgun, and there is no ownership record in your name, the offense may be prosecuted as a felony.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 12-26-2012, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the info. Think I'll stay off the grid until we see if the recent set of shootings produces meaningful mental healthcare advances or more ban the guns laws that don't work.