Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-25-2012, 3:30 PM

Exclamation Legality: Import Semi-Auto Shotguns + Magazine Extensions

So I have a USSG imported MP-153 shotgun on the way: http://www.jetguns.com/ussg-mp153-12...n-p-16249.html

It's a traditionally styled (think 11-87 hunting gun) semi auto that holds up to 5+1 in a tube magazine. OAL and barrel length certainly won't be an issue. No pistol grip, magazine most certainly fixed. I've seen a lot of people install a magazine extension tube (same threads as the 870, 1100, 11-87, etc), and though it would be pretty cool to have a rugged 8+1 any shell length utility gun.

So I looked it up on the Shotgun Flowchart, and that would indeed be a legal configuration - not an AW. Great, but I forgot about the fact that it's imported. 922r says that if you're building or assembling a gun from imported parts that doesn't meet the criteria for "sporting use", that it can't have more than 10 imported parts from such and such a list. But does that apply to a non manufacturer putting a part that requires no smithing on a gun already built?

And does it change when the guns are imported through an FFL 07? Beneli is one good example (Tom Knapp shoots a Benelli with a huuuge extension on it), and USSG is apparently an FFL 07 as well: http://www.fflregistry.com/FFL-Deale...-Inc/9413.html

So basically:
- Even in CA, an extended tube <10rds doesn't trigger AW status.
- 922r applies to importing guns or building imported parts kits, but unsure if it applies to the owner (non assembler/builder) adding a part to an already imported/built gun without gunsmithing involved.
- Does having an FFL 07 (manufacturer license) import the guns reset its status to equivalent to having been made domestically?
- I assume this question is directly relevant to Benelli/Beretta/Stoeger/Hatsan/Baikal/other shotguns, both high and low end imported to the US.

Last edited by 2nd Shot; 03-25-2012 at 3:34 PM.. Reason: Spelled "Benelli" wrong... Might be a capital offense.