Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Default Bow and arrow?

Ok, so I am coming off of my depression meds after watching "the Road" as all of you are familiar with. But now I just wondered what you guys think about having a bow or crossbow in your supplies. I have the expected pistol, shotgun, and rifle, but thought of a few downsides, which I have seen mentioned here often

* They eventually run out of ammo
* Ammo is heavy
* They are loud
* Require regular cleaning and maintenance

I have zero experience with one, but am interested.

Ok, so is a bow a practical option for emergencies either for defense or for hunting? Can more arrows (even crude ones) be made later?

If so, where do you start? Is there a good basic one like we might say with a 10/22 rifle?

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt5811 View Post
Glocks are like Darth Vader dressed as Hello Kitty. They sit there looking all plasticky and harmless and when it's time to use the force, the Evil Dark Lord comes out and rules the galaxy.
Old 08-15-2011, 1:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I shoot a traditional bow. One of the best forums for info is tradgang.com. Go there and post yer questions! And yes, the bow is handy, just a stick, string, and wood sticks. Lots of reloads out in them thar hills.
Old 08-15-2011, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoupman View Post
I have zero experience with one, but am interested.

Ok, so is a bow a practical option for emergencies either for defense or for hunting? Can more arrows (even crude ones) be made later?
I would say it could be doable but not practical until ammo supplies run out in the general public. They are relatively short ranged weapons that won't stop and attaker dead in their tracks unless you shoot them right through the heart or the brain stem. Pretty much all other wounds will require them to bleed out before they expire. Rate of accurate fire is also limited compared to what we're used to.

Aside from that, they are alot of fun. I own several traditional bows and have a great time shooting them.

You might also want to consider muzzle loaders. Particularly a flintlock if you're thinking about the end of the world and all that. If you can nap your own flints and make homemade powder you'd be good to go for quite a while. Casting supplies are pretty cheep and it's easy to learn with minimal instruction.
Old 08-15-2011, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

I have a little experience with a bow and I'm considering getting a compound bow for hunting. I do like bows and enjoy shooting them.

While it is possible to make bows and arrows from naturally occurring substances, unless your Native American Grandfather taught you the art as a child I doubt you'd be very good at it....thinking your going to find a few sticks and stones and whip one out is pretty naive. You better start practicing that now.
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 08-15-2011, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spy View Post
While it is possible to make bows and arrows from naturally occurring substances, unless your Native American Grandfather taught you the art as a child I doubt you'd be very good at it....thinking your going to find a few sticks and stones and whip one out is pretty naive. You better start practicing that now.
Oh, agreed. I have no delusions of being instantly proficient at construction and use.

Quote:
Glocks are like Darth Vader dressed as Hello Kitty. They sit there looking all plasticky and harmless and when it's time to use the force, the Evil Dark Lord comes out and rules the galaxy.
Old 08-15-2011, 2:34 PM

For 4000 years the weapon of choice for humankind has been the bow and arrow. For what you are asking the short answer is yes... and no.

The only good a bow would be is in an extended "The Road" scenario but it all depends on your ability to use it, same as a firearm. If you can't hit anything it won't do you any good. The hunter who can't shoot doesn't eat.

Bows are simple but still require maintenence. Some of the compounds need just as much care as an AR. Strings can break or rot, shafts bent, heads lost. Arrows can be made but arrows that work are an artform just like reloading. Of course a bow can't compete with a modern firearm in terms of range and rate of fire but I've seen guys who could split hairs so they are accurate.

I shoot recreationally in a medieval type setting and I'm ok with a recurve bow. I bought a takedown recurve from Cabelas a couple years back and I like it but I'm not sure I'd be willing to add it to my disaster kit. Guess it depends on your own personnal preference.
Well I have the pistols so I'll keep the pesos. Yeah that seems fair."

The Refreshments - Banditos
Old 08-15-2011, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

I Dont know about you but I'd feel pretty stupid bringing a bow and arrow to a gun fight
Old 08-15-2011, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Northeast Tennessee (formerly San Diego Back Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
I Dont know about you but I'd feel pretty stupid bringing a bow and arrow to a gun fight
...but a knife fight . . .
Old 08-15-2011, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Why is that?

The arrow strikes the guy with the gun and its game over. The guy next to the guy with the gun doesn't even know where the arrow \ bolt came from and is at a sincere disadvantage.

I don't have any experience, skill or ownership of archery, but I certainly would respect someone that could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
Old 08-15-2011, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripon83 View Post
The arrow strikes the guy with the gun and its game over. The guy next to the guy with the gun doesn't even know where the arrow \ bolt came from and is at a sincere disadvantage.

I don't have any experience, skill or ownership of archery, but I certainly would respect someone that could.
Not really game over unless you hit a couple of precise spots. The target could be minutes or hours away from death but still return fire. Arrows tend to stick a target following the line of their trajectory. Within their respective range they also aren't as silent as Hollywood would make them out to be either. Wouldn't be hard to narrow down from which direction it came.
Old 08-15-2011, 4:28 PM

Hey guys, I know it is not the perfect weapon, just curious if it was a viable option, a supplement or a redundancy as many of you support. I don't believe in TEOTWAWKI, or I don't necessarily believe in a scenario like "the road, "or in Zombies. Although they are fun to talk about and shoot in video games.

I do consider possible extreme local challenges say earthquakes, nukes, market crashes etc.

Quote:
Old 08-15-2011, 4:49 PM

Quote:
I do consider possible extreme local challenges say earthquakes, nukes, market crashes etc.
I think in a localized aftermath arrows could be used to quietly take down local game. Plus they don't destroy meat the way a bullet does. I'd encourage you to try it out just to see if might have fun with it as a hobby if nothing else and go from there.
Old 08-15-2011, 5:05 PM
Banned

It is not recommended to shoot wooden Arrows with a Compound Bow!!! they tend to snap in half sometimes, too much thrust.... yes I tried it.
Old 08-15-2011, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Having a bow and learning to use it is a very important skill to have, learning to make your own primitive bow and becoming proficient with it is even more important. Heck nearly every supposedly "ignorant", "backwards" third worlder can make their own bows and use them effectively, of course their survival depends on it in many cases.
Old 08-15-2011, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
I think in a localized aftermath arrows could be used to quietly take down local game. Plus they don't destroy meat the way a bullet does.
I don't know about this statement, I've seen meat cut up pretty badly with lots of clots and bone chips in the meat from modern arrows, and have had perfectly clean shots without any damage to the meat from bullets and vis a versa. It all depends on the shot placement. Arrows tend to enter the body cavity and ratchet around when the animal moves causing lots of internal damage, but if it embeds in muscle and breaks apart it can be pretty ugly.
Old 08-16-2011, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

I imagine the art of making effective arrow shafts and points could take most of a lifetime.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM

I like the bow cause its a silent and deadly killer. A shot to the boiler room (heart/lung) is pie sized target on men and beasts, is gonna do the trick in short order.

I imagine a gunshot in a post TEOWAKI will be like a dinner bell to the wolves. People shooting would likely mean I have something to protect and thusly, something to take. Though I think I have enough conventional weapons (yeah right), a bow and arrow makes an excellent way to hunt for the four legged creatures without bringing unnessasary attention to yourself.

I keep telling myself to start making arrows as practice, but just haven't got around to it. Watching The Road and The Book of Eli, it always made my cringe when they walked away from their arrows. Miss with a compound bow and you'll lose that arrow about 3/4 of the time. I imagine a stick bow around 1/2 time. Contrast that with the time it takes to make a good arrow and they become something like gold. The fact remains though, they can be made with materials just outside your door unlike a .223
Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 AM

A bow and some arrows would be usefull for hunting, but not so much for defense. I'd keep one around to hunt with and save my ammo.

Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet! (Stonewall Jackson's reply to Colonel B.E. Bee when he reported that the enemy were beating them back. At the first battle of Bull Run, July 1861)
VCDL Member
Retired Navy CPO
Old 08-16-2011, 3:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I shoot traditional and have two recurves and a longbow.

Archery is a good fallback for saving hard-to-get ammunition in an SHTF scenario. It's also silent.

If you're interested, look on this page and find a club or range in your area...

http://www.cbhsaa.net/Road%20to%20Ra...%20to%20ranges

Hang out, ask questions.

Compound can be used but is kinda complicated and expensive for a beginner.

To get started, I'd recommend a good longbow (PSE. Martin, Bear, etc), quiver, and some carbon arrows like Gold Tips. They're rugged and relatively cheap.

If you decide your more interested you can start spending more money.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 08-16-2011, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
A bow and some arrows would be usefull for hunting, but not so much for defense. I'd keep one around to hunt with and save my ammo.
You can put broadheads on the arrows, ya know.

A couple of arrows with 125 gr. G5's will do some damage.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 08-16-2011, 4:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
You can put broadheads on the arrows, ya know.

A couple of arrows with 125 gr. G5's will do some damage.
Nothing like an 800 grain arrow with 350 grains up front to ruin your day.
Old 08-16-2011, 4:58 PM

I like the idea of the bow in that you can reuse the ammo and it is relatively silent. However, I will not be adding it to my SHTF arsenal for the various reasons discussed.

Although with the Rambo exploding heads, I might rethink the above statements!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:10 AM

Bows are great, make your own you can have a world class bow for less then 10 bucks. I have made 3 bows and am on 4th a hickory pyramid, they are fun and very easy to make but hard to master. Nothing like shooting a bow you made with your own hands. Just made my own stringing jig to make my own custom strings, the last thing i have not made is the arrows but one step at a time.

My most important tip when looking for your section of wood either in the forest or the lumber store if it did not take you 40 mins to find the right one then you are holding a soon to be broken bow in your hands.

Current goal; become a Appleseed Rifleman.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

I love archery and got back into it earlier this year with a new compound bow. But compound or recurve/traditional, I feel it's a great skill to learn. Price range can go from cheap to pricey. Find what works for you, but at the very least, take a look into it.

I'm ready for what comes my way...

Old 08-17-2011, 1:28 AM
Veteran Member

Having a trick bow and suitable arrows is one thing, being able to hit ANYTHING at various distances is something else all together!
Old 08-17-2011, 2:07 AM
Veteran Member

OK, one of my shooting buddies thought it would be neat to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow---at the time, we were friends with a "Rockstar" who will remain unamed---he mentioned the idea of a bow and arrow to him right around X-mas time and was gifted a fancy set of compound bow and trick arrows. Sooooo, he went out and bought a few straw bales and set them up in his backyard with a target attached. He draws back the bow and lets fly---his aim was bad and he missed the hay bales altogether---the arrow pierced the wall of his garage and the arrow went thru the passager side door of his wife's Honda Accord!! In a panic, he removed the arrow from the car door and patched the hole in the garage wall---of course, he never told his wife. She being a school teacher (in a bad area) drove the car to work and parked it in the school lot not noticing the hole. Upon returning to the car in the afternoon, she discovered the "bullet hole" in the door---now comes the fun---the police were called and they arrived to report the problem, BUT, they could not understand how they could have an "entrance" hole, but no exit hole and no recovered projectile! They searched her car for hours and were still baffled at the end! He never told her.
Old 08-17-2011, 8:52 AM

My sister is much more of a Prepper than I am. She lives out in OK has a group of friends to bug out with. They practice bug outs on the weekends..etc.

Anyway, they were talking about security and possibly getting crossbows/bows for some people. They went to one of the huge hunting/gun shows out there and found a company that makes a crossbow that attaches to the lower receiver of an AR platform.

The guy she talked to asked if she was coming from a background in shooting firearms or bows. After she said firearms he immediately went to this crossbow and told her she can basically take what she know from shooting an AR and slap this upper receiver on her AR and be all set. They have red dot scopes and a whole bunch of other accessories for it too.

It may be an option. I did a quick google search and found this. It looks huge but it seems pretty cool. Definitely a cool toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur1fnuYfu_I
Old 08-17-2011, 9:42 AM

Wow, but pretty expensive

Quote:
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 AM

Archery has been a survival skill for much of mans history.
No I wouldn't bring a bow to a gun fight.

I'd say to start, get something simple and not expensive. Try it out, if you like it things will progress.

If you pursue archery and or making your own bows and arrows, different types and techniques. You will learn much about the history of man.

If you have kids I would defiantly look into archery.
Have fun

best
caveman
Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Slightly off topic but might be of interest to the OP: ever consider an air rifle? It would be easier to cast pellets in your above scenario if you get a pellet rifle in say .22 or .25 cal. Air is free, bullets not too hard to make, not super silent but still quieter than a firearm.

Good enough for small game and if you really think about it, I dont know about you, but if I were down to having to make a head shot with a air rifle vs a bow or crossbow, I KNOW I would have a better shot with an air rifle.

Hell, theres that new Benjamin Rogue air rifle that shoots .357 and can shoot ANY standard lead .357 projectile. (not a pump rifle, but thats another story)...
Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptySkuLL View Post
Slightly off topic but might be of interest to the OP: ever consider an air rifle? It would be easier to cast pellets in your above scenario if you get a pellet rifle in say .22 or .25 cal. Air is free, bullets not too hard to make, not super silent but still quieter than a firearm.

Good enough for small game and if you really think about it, I dont know about you, but if I were down to having to make a head shot with a air rifle vs a bow or crossbow, I KNOW I would have a better shot with an air rifle.

Hell, theres that new Benjamin Rogue air rifle that shoots .357 and can shoot ANY standard lead .357 projectile. (not a pump rifle, but thats another story)...
I'd rather get hit with a pellet any day / all day than a broadhead comin out of a modern bow. Most hits on tough skinned deer are pass-throughs, that is, they cut a 1.x wide triangle though 12-18 inches of flesh fairly routinely. Bear, antelope and elk are all on the menu for good bow hunter with 1 arrow. I think you underestimate the killing power of a bow.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJeeper View Post
I'd rather get hit with a pellet any day / all day than a broadhead comin out of a modern bow. Most hits on tough skinned deer are pass-throughs, that is, they cut a 1.x wide triangle though 12-18 inches of flesh fairly routinely. Bear, antelope and elk are all on the menu for good bow hunter with 1 arrow. I think you underestimate the killing power of a bow.
I appreciate the discussion guys.

RC, I think you may have misread Empty's comment. IIRC, I think he is discussing his "ability" to accurately shoot a head shot, not the damage inflicted.

So the gist I get from most is that Bow and Arrow has it's place, but it is not necessarily a must have disaster item.

Quote:
Old 08-17-2011, 1:21 PM

I probably did. And I agree, an air gun would have its place amoung post teowaki firearms, as a small game getter with alot less noise than a .22. Plus ammo for an air gun would be cheaper and lighter than any otherfire bar none. It is also on my list to aquire. My only point was that it would not replace a bow but rather augment a bow when less noise is a consideration.
Old 08-17-2011, 4:27 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the discussion guys.

RC, I think you may have misread Empty's comment. IIRC, I think he is discussing his "ability" to accurately shoot a head shot, not the damage inflicted.

So the gist I get from most is that Bow and Arrow has it's place, but it is not necessarily a must have disaster item.
That was exactly my point, unless you practice daily with a bow and arrow you most likely arent going to be very good at it. Unlike using an air rifle which handles like just about any standard firearm which, I'd assume since we ARE on a GUN forum would be the case for most of us.

I wasnt knocking the killing ability of the bow and arrow, just the effectiveness of the average person who isnt an avid bowhunter to use it, especially under pressure. As I said in my earlier comment I know I couldnt hit a head target with an arrow with confidence, whereas I am pretty confident I could with a pellet rifle.

One shot one kill right? Well if you cant hit the target in the first place, then the "damage" ability of whatever you are shooting is moot...
Old 08-17-2011, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bows are like guns. If you practice with it you can get good...
I've been into archery for over 30 years and feel confident with a bow.
I have a quality compound bow and definitely consider it part of my emergency supplies.