Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-13-2017, 6:45 PM

Default Big Reno Gun Show (Nov-2017)

What a huge disappointment!!!

Did anyone else go this last weekend? I went on Sunday... there was less than 100 other attendees there, and about 1/3 of the tables were empty by 10am.

Apparently the GSR banned attendees from bringing their own firearms to the show, not even CCW’s, only allowing table-holders to bring in firearms to sell/trade. They went so far as to metal wand us at the entrance.

I stopped going to Crossroad and Roadrunner shows years ago. The cheap venues they choose usually charge parking + a door fee. I end up paying $20-$25 before I even begin shopping. The Big Reno Show was the last “good” show we had in NorCal.
Old 11-13-2017, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

You mean NorNev.
Old 11-13-2017, 7:59 PM
retired Goon

Nevada is slowly becoming California East.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-13-2017, 8:06 PM

I was there Friday with a friend. This may be one of the last shows at that location. We're hearing that each vendor will have to have $1M insurance coverage.
Old 11-13-2017, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

You could have saved yourself some money if you searched this forum for "Reno" before you went. There is a thread that talks about this show since friday.
Old 11-13-2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontClaire View Post
You could have saved yourself some money if you searched this forum for "Reno" before you went. There is a thread that talks about this show since friday.

Damn. I my search didn’t catch it. I may have put in too many words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 8:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Big thread in C&R forum.

Apparently they're trying to work it out before the next show

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 11-13-2017, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

I went on friday morning. Lucky for me I live here so the drive is only 10 minutes whichever way in town. However, I didn't go inside the pavilion once I saw garret metal detectors. There were many local folks who walked up to the entrance from parking lot only to turn around and leave.
Old 11-13-2017, 9:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've stopped going to pretty much all gun shows.

Gun shows here in CA are little better than swap meets. The gun shows in Reno are useless to me as the internet has better prices, I can't legally buy any guns there and any mags I may want to buy can't legally be brought home with me. Since I'm not a big fan of jails, or being in them, I don't even bother. I've learned the best way to stay out of trouble is to stay away from temptation.
Old 11-13-2017, 9:31 PM

I went Friday, and yes disappointment.
I herd talk of moving the show to the convention center.
If you bought a firearm or ammo, they made you exit downstairs to the rear of the building.
I didn't find anything to buy, but found plenty at Scheel's and Cabela's.
Last time for me.
Old 11-14-2017, 7:35 AM

There is a show in Lodi this weekend and its usually the best Ive seen in many years. Damn I miss the real shows like L.A. in the 80's at one time there were 8 miles of tables if set end to end. It took three days to see everything.
Old 11-14-2017, 8:31 AM

Ive only been to the Big Reno show one time, lots of cool guns that are no longer for sale in CA, but if you cant buy anything, it's a waste of time.
Old 11-14-2017, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

Default Big Reno Gun Show (Nov-2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty View Post
I've stopped going to pretty much all gun shows.

Gun shows here in CA are little better than swap meets. The gun shows in Reno are useless to me as the internet has better prices, I can't legally buy any guns there and any mags I may want to buy can't legally be brought home with me. Since I'm not a big fan of jails, or being in them, I don't even bother. I've learned the best way to stay out of trouble is to stay away from temptation.

Also consider the DOJ has uncover spotters at the Reno show that radio ahead your CA license plates for apprehension when you cross the border going home.

Last edited by Blade Gunner; 11-14-2017 at 6:31 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

At the August show, some vendors were talking about how this date conflicted with the giant show in Tulsa. Most were choosing Tulsa over Reno.

Might explain low vendors/attendance also. Usually go in August. Going to keep an eye on this.
Old 11-14-2017, 5:46 PM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

My buddy and I went. He CCWd into the show, because he said signs don't mean s*** to him. The guy with the wand didn't even beep on all the iron he had strapped on to him. That security was a joke.

I didn't buy any guns or ammo, not even any parts. Found a guy selling a bunch of Zippo lighters, mostly from US Navy ships. I bought a couple, found one from the USS Enterprise. My uncle served on the Big E and I plan to give him that.

I got halfway home and realized I should have bought ALL those Zippos. Guy had 2 50cal ammo cans full of them. Most of the ships have long since been scrapped.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 11-14-2017, 5:57 PM

I read the title and thought, "Let me guess, another sausage-fest.."

They're all pretty bad. California just about ruined gun shows on the west coast, it's unfortunate.
Old 11-14-2017, 6:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Also consider the DOJ has uncover spotters at the Reno show that radio ahead your CA license plates for spprehendsion when you cross the border going home.
If I recall correctly, this happened years ago. I have been attending the Big Reno Show at least once a year for at least the last 10 years. I have purchased firearms, ammo, and parts. I haven't had any issues bringing anything back into CA.

Sent from my Ivory Tower using Moral High Ground 2.0

No messages are hidden because I am not an emotional snowflake.

DACA; Registration leads to deportation.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-14-2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
If I recall correctly, this happened years ago. I have been attending the Big Reno Show at least once a year for at least the last 10 years. I have purchased firearms, ammo, and parts. I haven't had any issues bringing anything back into CA.
It was happening back in 2003-2006 in Reno and LV until Cal DOJ pulled over the wrong guy just inside the I-80 border, the guy in question had connections with the US Attorney in Sacramento and the US Attorney and Cal’s AG Bill Lockyer had a private discussion and the charges were dropped on the US Attorney’s acquaintance and Cal DOJ stopped trolling the gun shows in Nevada, or so they claimed. Iggy Chin was involved with the Cal DOJ oporation at the time, people were still spotting him at Reno gun shows past 2006...

Mac
Old 11-14-2017, 7:33 PM

I've heard of guys going to the fireworks places in Pahrump Nv...going to the hotels, parking their cars and taking taxis to the fireworks stores so they are not I'd by the plates on the cars....just saying.
Old 11-14-2017, 7:35 PM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
It was happening back in 2003-2006 in Reno and LV until Cal DOJ pulled over the wrong guy just inside the I-80 border, the guy in question had connections with the US Attorney in Sacramento and the US Attorney and Cal’s AG Bill Lockyer had a private discussion and the charges were dropped on the US Attorney’s acquaintance and Cal DOJ stopped trolling the gun shows in Nevada, or so they claimed. Iggy Chin was involved with the Cal DOJ oporation at the time, people were still spotting him at Reno gun shows past 2006...

Mac
They still go.

Gotta keep the CA subjects in check. Wouldn't want them to get a crazy idea in their head and act like a free person without consequences.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 11-15-2017, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbadlarry View Post
I've heard of guys going to the fireworks places in Pahrump Nv...going to the hotels, parking their cars and taking taxis to the fireworks stores so they are not I'd by the plates on the cars....just saying.
I do it with Cali plates several times a year for almost a decade. Never been hassled. I enjoy fireworks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2017, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
I do it with Cali plates several times a year for almost a decade. Never been hassled. I enjoy fireworks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I've seen piles of people around time leading up to Jul 4 get their fireworks confiscated at the agricultural checkpoint in Yermo.
Old 11-15-2017, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Fireworks. Confiscation and a ticket (maybe). Firearms. Felony and time in the big house.
Old 11-15-2017, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Fireworks. Confiscation and a ticket (maybe). Firearms. Felony and time in the big house.
Somewhere on CGN there is a thread showing how a group of Californians got arrested and convicted coming back from Reno with over 10 round magazines and handguns they bought private party without DROS.

Don't do it people. I have too much to lose to risk it. Anything I buy that is illegal in CA stays stored out of CA before I cross back over.
Old 11-15-2017, 6:25 PM

Fireworks??? Those are for people that haven’t invested in a 37mm launcher, and reloadable shells.

Old 11-15-2017, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

The Reno Gun show may be the biggest CADOJ sting operation and it cost them nothing to put on.
Old 11-15-2017, 7:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Somewhere on CGN there is a thread showing how a group of Californians got arrested and convicted coming back from Reno with over 10 round magazines and handguns they bought private party without DROS.

Don't do it people. I have too much to lose to risk it. Anything I buy that is illegal in CA stays stored out of CA before I cross back over.

So even if you don’t get caught at the border. what about later on. you can “explain” away the mags, but how do you explain away an unregistered handgun.

Old 11-16-2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
Well Skippy, maybe that's because the rest of us have not been anointed as demi-gods by the legislature and exempted from the rules and regulations applicable to mere mortals. And we have not been taught the secret handshake so that if we get pulled over we can avoid getting arrested.

Rather than brag, why don't you and your fellow officers work for gun rights for everybody rather than supporting every crazy bill that passes the legislature as long and you and your ilk are exempted.

Toodles!
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”

― Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Old 11-17-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I've seen piles of people around time leading up to Jul 4 get their fireworks confiscated at the agricultural checkpoint in Yermo.
That's why you go early June