Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 10-29-2017, 6:26 PM

Default Medium Sized Safe Recommendations

I'm in the market for a new safe. I've read the safe buying guide that is stickied in this section as well as done some research and to be honest, I'm extremely overwhelmed. I'm trying very hard to stay in the $650 range and would like something that can hold long guns as well as handguns as well as an area to put a decent amount of ammo and preferably have a power outlet on the inside as well as having fire protection. I don't currently have any long guns but I do plan on owning some in the near future. I'm replacing a safe right now that I bought to fit my current needs rather than for future needs (lesson learned). I'm going to look at 2 local companies that sell safes but I'm looking for some recommendations that I may not have seen or skipped over in my past few days of online shopping. I'm aware these threads are posted all the time and I've looked up some of the past threads and made some notes but some of those threads are a few years old so looking for some updated stuff if possible.

Thank you for all the help.

Last edited by lexanidubs09; 10-29-2017 at 6:55 PM.. Reason: Added fire protection
Old 10-29-2017, 7:13 PM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

never put ammo in the safe. Drilling a hole in the side for power is super easy and then some fire putty to redo the fire protection. That should help since you don't need to pay for them to install power.
Old 10-29-2017, 7:48 PM

For your budget, check out the offerings at Costco.
Old 10-29-2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
never put ammo in the safe. Drilling a hole in the side for power is super easy and then some fire putty to redo the fire protection. That should help since you don't need to pay for them to install power.
Thank you! Will I need any sort of special bit or anything to drill through it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
For your budget, check out the offerings at Costco.
Checked those out as well as Sams Club and Home Depot's offerings. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2017, 1:53 PM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexanidubs09 View Post
Thank you! Will I need any sort of special bit or anything to drill through it?
Any drill will work, just make sure the bit is good and sharp, you will be surprised at how easy it is to drill a hole in the side or back of a safe. Fire putty is available at any home store and will restore the fire proofing.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:36 AM

Don't buy a safe from Costco!!! You seriously get what you pay for, I got a Cannon from Costco and within 2 months the entire lock malfunctioned and all they would do is send a replacement lock. No repair work was included and it cost more to drill it open than the damn safe was worth. The best safe I've seen for $599 is the Treadlock series made by Winchester safe. It's made in USA, 45 min. fire rating and under $650. What kind of size are you looking for?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARBeast View Post
Don't buy a safe from Costco!!! You seriously get what you pay for, I got a Cannon from Costco and within 2 months the entire lock malfunctioned and all they would do is send a replacement lock. No repair work was included and it cost more to drill it open than the damn safe was worth. The best safe I've seen for $599 is the Treadlock series made by Winchester safe. It's made in USA, 45 min. fire rating and under $650. What kind of size are you looking for?
Thank you for the advice! So buying a safe goes with just about everything else... Buy once, cry one. I'll look into Winchester Safes, thank you for the recommendation. Although it's extreme overkill at the moment I'd like a 20 gun safe minimum at this point. I'd like to think that would last me forever.... But we all know how that works lol
Old 10-31-2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexanidubs09 View Post
Thank you for the advice! So buying a safe goes with just about everything else... Buy once, cry one. I'll look into Winchester Safes, thank you for the recommendation. Although it's extreme overkill at the moment I'd like a 20 gun safe minimum at this point. I'd like to think that would last me forever.... But we all know how that works lol
The treadlock 13 is 19 gun capacity, so it might just be perfect for you. This is the best price I've seen: https://www.deansafe.com/win-treadlock-13.html
Old 10-31-2017, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

I just bought the 18 gun model a few weeks ago. On sale at my local Cabelas for just under $500. I also bought the door panel organizer, and I'm glad I did. The door organizer hold 4 hand guns, some magazines, and has a pouch for papers.I was very impressed with the locking bars, a pre drilled hole for a power cord, and the 30 minute fire rating for an entry level safe. I wanted to go bigger, but this safe fits in the space I had and I put it upstairs. My buddy and I took off the door and carried it up, then slide the safe up the stairs on its back.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/ProVa...ty/1321022.uts

This is the 24 gun model I would have bought if I could have
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ref=prd1321022

Of course you can buy a bunch of Cabelas gift cards and get a huge saving that way to buy this safe as well.

This video on Liberty's locking bars also help sell me on buying this safe.
Old 10-31-2017, 3:37 PM

At your budget, I would probably be looking at used safes/RSCs.
Old 10-31-2017, 4:24 PM

That Liberty safe has 14ga steel... the locking bars won't help much if they take an axe and chop through the side of it.
Old 10-31-2017, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankstone View Post
That Liberty safe has 14ga steel... the locking bars won't help much if they take an axe and chop through the side of it.

Neither will any other $500 safe. A cut off wheel and a grinder and you can cut into the side of most safes.

I have the safe in a corner, with furniture on the other side of it. It's not full proof, but its better than nothing. Also a safe is only part of my security system. I have a house alarm and dogs. Your average house burglar isn't going to make it long enough to cut through the safe. If someone does, I have insurance after that.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARBeast View Post
Why blame Costco and not the manufacturer, Cannon?
I'm looking at the Bighorn by Rhino Safes there. 70 min. fire. Much thicker 11 ga. walls on one model for $1,000 free delivery.
An approved aftermarket manual lock can also be installed, and not void the warranty.
For less money around $700 their Field and Stream Company is a good, large, RSC safe.

Last edited by otteray; 11-13-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 5:07 PM

11g is not that thick.. it's 0.1196, less than an 1/8 of an inch. I bought with 1/4" body and 3/8 door.
Old 11-14-2017, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankstone View Post
11g is not that thick.. it's 0.1196, less than an 1/8 of an inch. I bought with 1/4" body and 3/8 door.
Your budget must me twice as much as mine. You are getting the Sturdy Safe, right? Very nice.
I feel far more comfortable with a 1/8" steel box bolted to the slab than what my current flimsy Stack On cabinet has, or even the 14-12 ga offerings most comparably priced RSC gun safes offer.
Having additional layers of security Alarms, and locked gates also gives me comfort.

Last edited by otteray; 11-14-2017 at 7:10 PM..
Old 11-15-2017, 7:35 AM

a bit more than double your budget... but more than double the strength. well worth it to me.
Old 11-15-2017, 7:45 AM

OP, start looking at black Friday sites that always have the ads posted in advance. Might be a good time to snag a safe at a low price.
Also, where abouts are you located?
http://formatsafe.com/products/gun-safe/
Seen a few members here buy from them and have been happy.
Old 11-15-2017, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

Costco's coupon mailer has a $1000 Sports Afield safe on sale this month for $300 off. Thru Nov. 22
Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Get it from Costco. Great price with delivery.
They all have 30min or more fire protection. Some bodies are made of 14ga steel. The 12ga would be better, but I've seen people cut open 1/4" sheets like butter. I like the Cannon warranty.

If your safe is really a fortress to get into, then those that want the content will get you to open it.