Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-27-2017, 7:37 PM

Default Military Surplus Rain Poncho

Anybody have/used this Norwegian Military Surplus Rain Poncho?

I am looking to pick a few up. I like how compact it is and easy to keep in a car.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-E.../dp/B01F7Q3P30

Old 12-28-2017, 9:12 PM

One of the reviewers said - "This is basically a garbage bag with a hole in it."

Image selection on amazon seem to match his description.

this reviewer had me lol

-
Question:
Is this actually military surplus or just a knock off company?
Answer:
This may be military surplus because of the protective material, but not completely sure. I would like to warn you, since this product is a Norwegian outfit familiar to their country and not familiar to America,
Americans will taunt you or worse wearing this Norwegian raincoat. American authorities especially police have harassed me three times in the past 2 months and brutally assaulted me when I wore this, and am now going through lawyers to punish these officers. The offices said I was wearing garbage bags and looked weird, OH so that gives you a right to hurt me? Henry or whoever reads this, if you buy this
product, be very careful walking the streets with this outfit on. People and authorities may not like what they see.
This may be military surplus because of the protective material, but not completely sure. I want to warn you as this is a Norwegian outfit familiar to their country and not familiar to America, that America
It may be military surplus because of the protective material, but not completely sure. I would like to warn you as this is a Norwegian raincoat familiar to their country, Americans will t see less
By Negan on December 2, 2016
Old 12-28-2017, 11:13 PM

I got a bunch of these with this deal.

https://www.majorsurplus.com/flood-p...ust-39-95.html

I mainly picked this deal up for the sandbags and shovels, the ponchos paracord, waterproof bags were just extra. I have a couple in every car bag. They’re not bad in emergency but not something you’d wanna wear all day or that will last long. I wouldn’t pay 8$ for one when you can get the real deal for 20$. The waterproof bags are great for keeping things dry in a pack or rafting. The sandbags expand with water and have been very handy.
Old 12-29-2017, 1:45 AM
Calguns Addict

I got one of these Swiss military surplus rain jackets for $10 and I've been impressed with it it's thick and made to last with lots of heavy duty brass snap buttons that give you multiple uses including snapping two of them together to make a shelter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004D...+military+army

It gets 4.3 stars out of five stars on Amazon and here's a guy who did a review on YouTube that describes both the positives and the negatives pretty well…

https://youtu.be/impA6nYGzlQ

The only two negatives are people like them so now they've increased in price to $20 and they don't fold down into the smallest most compact thing like a thin garbage bag one would.

but I found a way to fold it and store the whole unit inside the hood and then tied the hood strings closed so it becomes a round ball that you could either use for a pillow or even a seat on wet or muddy ground (if your rear end is small enough.)
Old 12-29-2017, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
I got one of these Swiss military surplus rain jackets for $10 and I've been impressed with it it's thick and made to last with lots of heavy duty brass snap buttons that give you multiple uses including snapping two of them together to make a shelter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004D...+military+army

It gets 4.3 stars out of five stars on Amazon and here's a guy who did a review on YouTube that describes both the positives and the negatives pretty well…

https://youtu.be/impA6nYGzlQ

The only two negatives are people like them so now they've increased in price to $20 and they don't fold down into the smallest most compact thing like a thin garbage bag one would.

but I found a way to fold it and store the whole unit inside the hood and then tied the hood strings closed so it becomes a round ball that you could either use for a pillow or even a seat on wet or muddy ground (if your rear end is small enough.)

I like this one a lot, been using it for years, works well when I go prone in the rain. I fold and roll it hard and can fit it in a big zip lock bag.

Front Sight President / Heritage Member
Old 12-29-2017, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

I came across Swiss ponchos some years ago and bought them cheap. ~$6 or $7 each iirc.
These are really durable and I still use one on occasion and keep 2 in the truck.
The posted rain cover would be a good disposable IMO. Not a keeper for serious work, but just a cover with a convenient package. Price is not great tho.

Frogg Togg is good reasonable rain gear.
https://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 12-29-2017, 1:21 PM

I like the SWISS military rain jacket best, a nice rain jacket to have at the range for those adverse weather conditions training days.

it's fun to go shooting in stormy weather once in a while
Old 12-29-2017, 1:43 PM

What I'll probably do, is keep the ones I mentioned in my OP, 24/7/365 in the vehicles and buy two of those Swiss ones and cycle them in during the rainy season. Thanks everyone. Great suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
I got a bunch of these with this deal.

https://www.majorsurplus.com/flood-p...ust-39-95.html

I mainly picked this deal up for the sandbags and shovels, the ponchos paracord, waterproof bags were just extra. I have a couple in every car bag. They’re not bad in emergency but not something you’d wanna wear all day or that will last long. I wouldn’t pay 8$ for one when you can get the real deal for 20$. The waterproof bags are great for keeping things dry in a pack or rafting. The sandbags expand with water and have been very handy.
That is a great deal if I read that correctly, TEN ponchos?

Quote:
$145. the worth of peace of mind for only $39.95! When flooding threatens to damage your home and property, prevent an emergency from becoming a disaster with our Flood Preparedness Bundle. You’ll not only be prepared to act when a crisis strikes, you’ll enjoy exceptional savings, too. Our Flood Preparedness Kit has what you need to keep your property and family safe and dry at dramatic discounts from the list prices. You’ll get 10 of our revolutionary Dam It Up Bags, 2 Single Fold Wood Handle Shovels, 10 Norwegian Ponchos, 1 100’ Utility Cord (Orange), and 3 pack of Swiss Waterproof Laundry Bag. Dam It Up Bags are infused with a patented super absorbent polymer SAP500 active ingredient to remain compact and lightweight until you need it most with no filling needed. More versatile than standard sandbags, they can easily be moved, stored, stacked, and positioned in tight spaces. Most importantly, you can put them in place quickly when every moment counts. Our Single Fold Wood Handle Shovel has a convenient hardwood handle with a screw lock that holds the steel blade in a straight or 90 degree position, for maximum versatility of use.

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 12-29-2017 at 1:48 PM..
Old 12-30-2017, 9:30 AM

Yes 10 ponchos on that deal, with all that’s included it’s a good deal.
Old 12-30-2017, 8:06 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

check out this review of ponchos: https://carryonguy.com/best-rain-poncho/

Here to help

Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association
CALGUNS official 501 C3 Non-Profit

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:22 AM

it looks like the one's you get for 1.99 at walmart, I brought 4 of these for the BOBs we haven't worried about it since.....https://www.majorsurplus.com/promo-r...cho-black.html
Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 PM