Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-20-2017, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Edmondson View Post
In bad times what make you think people will barter with you they will kill you and take what want just get what you want and keep your mouth shut
Anybody got a link to that thread, where the guy who was trapped in his city for a year in the Balkans mentions alcohol as being a premium trade item? His city was under siege IIRC.
Alcohol has a ton of uses FYI.

Edit: here it is

http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-pr...-zone_10252011

Q: *What items should we stockpile?

Thank you

Well depends, i quess if you stock only one thing you are not going to survive, unless you want to survive like robber, then you need only gun and lot od ammo.

I believe besides ammo food hygiene and energy things (batteries etc.) you need to focus on small things for trade, pocket knives, lighters, flints.

Also LOT of alcohol, kind that can stay long, i mean stuff like whiskey and that, does not important what kind, you can have cheapest kind, it is very good thing for trade in desperate time.

Last edited by Bainter1212; 12-20-2017 at 6:56 PM..
Old 12-20-2017, 8:08 PM
Veteran Member

FYI, if you are storing liquor in a wine rack don’t get anything with a cork. Laying the bottle horizontal will ruin it. Wine can be stored on its side safely but not corked liquor.
Old 12-21-2017, 6:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

OP at least one Bottle of Rum otherwise you canít be a Pirate.

Personally I always have a bottle of Tequila on my boat. Some white wine for the wife. No corks.

What brand of sailboat do you live on.? You enjoy it?

Be well

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-23-2017, 9:41 AM

Default Beneteau

Bought a beneteau in Greece just over a year ago. It was a real fun ride getting it to the bay area of California but honestly its one of the best experiences I ever had. Its a 1999 Oceanis 461 and I don't even look at similar or bigger boats to replace it - I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
OP at least one Bottle of Rum otherwise you canít be a Pirate.

Personally I always have a bottle of Tequila on my boat. Some white wine for the wife. No corks.

What brand of sailboat do you live on.? You enjoy it?

Be well

Bob
Old 12-23-2017, 3:44 PM

I would probably buy a variety to have for guests. Kirkland Vodka and Tequila are supposed to be real good for the price. And pick up a whisky and a rum. Isn't rum kind of a requirement.

I don't drink but my relatives swear by Kirkland Tequila.
Old 12-23-2017, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Makecsure a bottle of night train is on that list.

Old 02-05-2018, 9:17 PM

Black Velvet

$10.99 1.75L
Old 02-07-2018, 6:22 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

This:
Old 02-07-2018, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

Mad Dog 20-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 7:44 PM

Location: My gun has killed less people than Uberís self driving car.

Op,

What you’re looking for is rectified spirit. Dilute to drink, use full strength as a disinfectant, or fuel. It’s pretty much pure ethanol. In the Sacramento area I’ve been told it can be found at the KP International market.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectified_spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.
Old 02-13-2018, 1:01 AM
Veteran Member

Didn't read any post ~ Bourbon, always bourbon!
Old 02-21-2018, 2:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

6 bottles of Kirkland Canadian Whiskey
Old 02-21-2018, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

get smaller bottles, and don't keep them in plain sight.

Easier to trade with smaller bottles, and you can claim "this is all I have".
Old 02-22-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Edmondson View Post
In bad times what make you think people will barter with you they will kill you and take what want just get what you want and keep your mouth shut
Yep I agree; but then again I just finished the book "The Road" WOW!
Old 02-28-2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
You beat me to it. However, you can't get the high proof stuff in California. Gotta go to Nevada for that. The Everclear they sell here is 151 like the rum. Other states get the full strength stuff.
According to a couple of local liquor stores, Everclear 151 is no longer available in California. Seems new legislation limits alcohol to 120 proof now. I don't know if it's true, just what I was told. No stores locally carry 151 proof anything anymore.

I don't believe you can get Everclear 190 in Nevada either. I think it's available in Arizona. Oregon has a 190 proof grain alcohol called Clear Springs, but it isn't legal to display in the state liquor stores. You have to ask for it and the clerk gets it for you from a place hidden from view.
Old 02-28-2018, 8:15 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFGO View Post
According to a couple of local liquor stores, Everclear 151 is no longer available in California. Seems new legislation limits alcohol to 120 proof now. I don't know if it's true, just what I was told. No stores locally carry 151 proof anything anymore.
I think that's actually old legislation. Another mod and I had a thread where we tried to figure out how stores could be selling 151 when the Business and Professions Code, Alcoholic Beverage Control Act says
Quote:

No retail licensee, except a pharmacy or drug store registered with the California State Board of Pharmacy, shall sell or possess on his licensed premises any undenatured alcohol of any proof or compound thereof which is an alcoholic beverage as defined in Section 23004 containing more than 60 percent of alcohol by volume. Undenatured alcohol shall be sold at retail only upon the prescription or order of the holder of a physician’s and surgeon’s certificate or a dentist’s or veterinarian’s license. Any person who violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
In place since 1953.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-01-2018, 8:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Alcohol de cana from TJ. 196 proof. I use it as a solvent.

I once saw a friend take a swig from the bottle, he thought it was vodka.

It dropped him to his knees and I laughed for days.
Old 03-01-2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I think that's actually old legislation. Another mod and I had a thread where we tried to figure out how stores could be selling 151 when the Business and Professions Code, Alcoholic Beverage Control Act says In place since 1953.

Quote:

No retail licensee, except a pharmacy or drug store registered with the California State Board of Pharmacy, shall sell or possess on his licensed premises any undenatured alcohol of any proof or compound thereof which is an alcoholic beverage as defined in Section 23004 containing more than 60 percent of alcohol by volume. Undenatured alcohol shall be sold at retail only upon the prescription or order of the holder of a physicianís and surgeonís certificate or a dentistís or veterinarianís license. Any person who violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
In place since 1953.
Good to know. Perhaps enforcement is finally reaching Humboldt. I seem to remember Bacardi 151 Rum being commonplace years ago living in the Bay Area.

190 proof has its uses. Just one more thing I buy in Oregon that is not available in California.
Old 03-02-2018, 2:32 PM
No Prisoners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_B View Post
The argument I've heard about banning high proof EC is because it's dangerous for binge drinking college kids and increased risk of sexual assault... Both of which are already illegal, soooo the thinking is to make it easier for criminals to do less criminal things... Perfectly consistent with CA gun laws.
Seems inconsistent to me; You can legally buy Weed that is so powerful that three hits will knock your jewels in the dirt, but you cannot buy 190 proof alcohol? What?

Last time I had 190 proof EC I was 19, when someone poured a big bottle of EC in a punch bowl at an afternoon outdoor party....

Last thing I remember; I was being sexually assaulted by a blond with big nanas! Oh, those were the good old days...

OP, if you are on a boat, water is no problem (build a still). For alcohol I'd buy a bottle of Vodka, a bottle of Bourbon, and maybe a bottle of Bacardi 151 if you can find any. They apparently discontinued it last year.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 03-02-2018 at 2:38 PM..
Old 03-02-2018, 2:42 PM
No Prisoners!

BTW Everclear appears to be legal in Arizona and Oregon.