Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2014, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

Default Encouraging others to be just a little prepared...

The other day I had some family and friends at my house. One of them asks my kid to grab them a bottle of water. My kid goes over to the fridge and sees nothing so then she goes over to the pantry and opens a new case. One of my family members sees the water cases stacked up and says "Geez. What are you doing with all that water? Are you preparing for an earthquake?". My reply "Yes."

In that split second I was preparing for the "Great we will come to your house!" response and I was going to reply with "Why put yourself in that situation? Just buy 1 extra item every time you go to the store and before you know it you will be ready too."

The subject changes back to whatever other random talk was going on.

This got me thinking about the recent threads talking about would you help friends and family. I am far from being a "prepper" but I do have enough food to feed my family in a bug in situation.

I am sitting here thinking about who was here that day. I can only think of 2 people in that room who would have enough food/water to get by for a week or two. Then on the far end of the spectrum a couple of those people keep hardly any food at all in their house let alone have bottled water. Their fridge resembles a college kid with leftover ramen noodles and taco bell hot sauce packets.

So here's my question to all of you. Have you been able to successfully encourage people to be a little prepared? If so how did you do it? I don't want to lecture people or have them think im building a doomsday shelter due to all the recent media hype. I'd like to get them to think a little bit in advance before they come knocking on my door asking for a case of my water when the shelves are empty. Maybe I can send them some links, articles, recommend a movie or something that isn't talking about building a bunker for the zombies.

Please share your recommendations and suggestions.

I will update this post later down the line if I am successful. Feel free to do the same.