Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 04-19-2017, 7:57 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Default The anti-hunting propaganda machine never rests...

Once you get past the brief story of how this guy was eaten the article blames hunters for the demise of Elephants, Rhino's, and Big Cats. For those of you who read that article and believe it to be 100% true, give yourself an education and look up posts done by Fjold, Tanks, and desertdog who have commented in the past about how hunting in Africa actually benefits the animals, economy, and in turn keeps the animals from going extinct.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/t...by-crocodiles/
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsza View Post
in for one just in case the russians come
Old 04-19-2017, 8:12 AM

Reads like a 13-year-old wrote it... African big game hunting may be the only thing that actually SAVES these animals from going extinct. If you truly want to educate yourself on the subject, follow Lew's advice and look at threads/posts from Fjold, Tanks, and desertdog.

www.jesseshunting.com Great stuff

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Anyone who Threatens it.

Last edited by PoorRichRichard; 04-19-2017 at 8:16 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 AM

As soon as I click on the link, a pop up add greeted me telling me to download a new app for yummy vegan food. Didn't see that coming...
Old 04-19-2017, 5:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the anti hunters are nothing but people that refuse to be informed as to the benefits of hunting here and in Africa. they just cry about the poor animal and how cruel it is to hunt game there.

they never have anything substantial to say in the first place.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, This is California; we dont pay too much attention to the Constitution,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-19-2017, 5:53 PM

It's a pretty annoying fad with some very negative consequences.

Enough time has passed that they don't immediately recognize what's here now is because of hunters.
It's just too much work to research when you could hang with people that let you feel cool instead i guess.
Old 04-19-2017, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 04-19-2017, 5:59 PM

I blame Bambi.
Old 04-19-2017, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigue View Post
I blame Bambi.
The actual deer, or the cartoon?
Old 04-19-2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
The actual deer, or the cartoon?
The cartoon...

Eric
Old 04-19-2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Sooooooooo... if we follow the closing statement to be true, we must cull a bunch of liberal demorats for humanity to become healthy.
Am I wrong? Did I misinterpret it?
Old 04-19-2017, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
Sooooooooo... if we follow the closing statement to be true, we must cull a bunch of liberal demorats for humanity to become healthy.
Am I wrong? Did I misinterpret it?
If you're going to talk to idiots (and liberal democrats are idiots), you have to use a medium they understand.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 04-20-2017, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
If you're going to talk to idiots (and liberal democrats are idiots), you have to use a medium they understand.
I guess that lame cartoon is too sophisticated for them then
Old 04-20-2017, 8:50 PM

Setting political affiliations aside...

I'm heading to Namibia in one month and three days for a six day hunt with a PH I've hunted with before. During our last meeting, he told me a little story that's worth spreading around. When Namibia gained its independence from South Africa 20 odd years ago, the government "owned" all the game, and it was being decimated by cattle ranchers who didn't want the critters competing for scarce feed (most of Namibia is desert). Then the government decided to allow farmers to "own" the game, which meant they could sell hunts on their land. According to this PH (I haven't tried to verify independently), the game population has quadrupled since the Namibian government allowed landowners to own the game. It helps that a) game animals like kudu, oryx and eland are better suited to the habitat than cattle, and b) the company that supplies the national parks with meat will buy game animals that have been shot by hunters. Lemme tell you, my wife adores springbok and eland steak is outstanding.

Then there's the story of theealderly kudu I should have shot 8 years ago and didn't because at the time I couldn't bring myself to shoot a trophy and not use the meat. Well, that kudu died a horrible death six months later from starvation and I've never gotten over my stupidity.

After Namibia my wife and I will be in South Africa for two weeks, partly to hunt and partly for a photo safary. I'm hoping to snap some photos of predators chewing on carcases to help drive home the point that a quick death by bullet is not nearly as bad as a slower death by predator.
Old 04-21-2017, 6:19 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

^^^ Thanks for sharing Jackellis, hopefully you come back and share your hunt story and photos of Africa. Posts like yours will show up in a google search results given some time so hopefully at some point a person who is looking for actual information will find this thread or one similar and read first hand accounts such as yourself.

Anybody who hunts Africa is encouraged to share in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsza View Post
in for one just in case the russians come
Old 04-21-2017, 6:57 AM

That College Humor video is fantastic. My 12-year-old son loved it and is starting to show it to his friends.

www.jesseshunting.com Great stuff

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Anyone who Threatens it.
Old 04-21-2017, 7:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
^^^ Thanks for sharing Jackellis, hopefully you come back and share your hunt story and photos of Africa. Posts like yours will show up in a google search results given some time so hopefully at some point a person who is looking for actual information will find this thread or one similar and read first hand accounts such as yourself.

Anybody who hunts Africa is encouraged to share in here.
Didn't you do a safari hunt? It's definitely on my bucket list.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 04-21-2017, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Didn't you do a safari hunt? It's definitely on my bucket list.
It's probably been 8 or 9 years ago now that my wife and I joined friends of ours who were hunting on a game farm in northern Namibia not far from Etosha National Park, only we were there as observers. Two years ago we all went back and I hunted, bringing home a kudu, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, and gemsbock. I'll try to post some photos and a more detailed account later after I get some chores done around here. The trophies are back and ready to be hung. Nothing spectacular in terms of size, but certainly respectable and I'm happy with them.

Starting in late May, I'm doing six days in a different part of Namibia and then six days in South Africa with a photo safari in between.

If you're interested in a hunting trip to Africa and cost is a factor, Namibia is a better value, though you may be somewhat limited in terms of available trophies. Anyone who's interested in more information about the outfit I hunted with in Namibia can PM me for more details, or you can wait until after I return in June for more information about both of my hunting experiences in that country.
Old 04-21-2017, 1:38 PM

It takes a bit of work to read this but based on the first few paragraphs, it's worth the effort: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 04-21-2017, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
It's probably been 8 or 9 years ago now that my wife and I joined friends of ours who were hunting on a game farm in northern Namibia not far from Etosha National Park, only we were there as observers. Two years ago we all went back and I hunted, bringing home a kudu, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, and gemsbock. I'll try to post some photos and a more detailed account later after I get some chores done around here. The trophies are back and ready to be hung. Nothing spectacular in terms of size, but certainly respectable and I'm happy with them.

Starting in late May, I'm doing six days in a different part of Namibia and then six days in South Africa with a photo safari in between.

If you're interested in a hunting trip to Africa and cost is a factor, Namibia is a better value, though you may be somewhat limited in terms of available trophies. Anyone who's interested in more information about the outfit I hunted with in Namibia can PM me for more details, or you can wait until after I return in June for more information about both of my hunting experiences in that country.
Expecting pics of this.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 04-21-2017, 3:11 PM

Yeah. Let's stop the hunting of legal big game animals so the locals can lose that source of revenue and turn to poaching endangered animals.

/facepalm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Expecting pics of this.
The PH did not send me a photo of the blue wildebeest. My wife might have a photo but for now these will have to do.

Kudu:

Red hartebeest:

Oryx, also known as gemsbock:

None of the four animals was more than 100 yards away. Blue wildebeest and hartebeest were one shot kills from two different ground blinds. Kudu and oryx took three shots each from a tree blind. The wildebeest ran about 50 yards with a hole in his heart before keeling over. The kudu and oryx just sort of walked around and didn't run. They're very tough animals because the first shots were all good. Rifle was a Winchester 670 in .30-06 with a Leupold VXiii 2.5-8 scope using 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts.

The wildebeest turned out to be the most challenging. We were walking into the ground blind and in an attempt to walk quietly, I got a bit separated from the PH, which spooked the wildebeest. He walked back and forth trying to decide whether I was a threat. I was crouched down behind some netting in a very uncomfortable position waiting for what seemed like 20 minutes until he presented a broadside shot. Finally he turned broadside, I squeezed the trigger and got smacked in the face by the scope, and the critter ran off. The owners of the property brought a dog, who found the dead critter about 50 yards away.

We ate some of just about everything we shot and what we didn't eat was sold to a slaughterhouse that supplies tourist locations. The place we hunted is off the grid but they had a walk-in freezer and a nice setup for skinning, gutting and otherwise dealing with the critters. Guts were dumped in an area away from living quarters and the vultures were sitting in the treetops waiting for their next meal.

This hunt was in late May, which is Africa's fall season.

The upcoming hunts start in late May and run through mid-June. They'll be walk and stalk. I haven't finalized my list but right now I know I want a springbok, an impala, and a black wildebeest. My wife would love to have a sable in the house. I'd like to have an eland but they're enormous and we didn't think about hunting trophies when we built our house.

Last edited by JackEllis; 04-21-2017 at 6:21 PM..
Old 04-21-2017, 6:10 PM

it's worth the effort:

Unless you don't facebook.
Old 04-21-2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
If you're interested in a hunting trip to Africa and cost is a factor...
A week long trip to South Africa for 5-6 species of plains game is CHEAPER than a non-resident Elk hunt in Montana or Wyoming. The cost starts going up once one is interested in trophy and/or dangerous game.