Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-01-2013, 8:51 AM

ChuckB, my contract is with reg. US Army, never met with the NG, not opposed to being a weekend warrior, wanted opinions on which is better.

thehummerguy, the battalion is 640th ASB out of Torrance, but no sure on unit.
Old 01-01-2013, 9:00 AM

davidncf, thanks for the input, I'm swearing in this week for the guard, instead of 4 years I'll only have to do 2 years, due to NG having a 2years service obligation reduction, plus 2 years no deployments, which is great cuz Im going back to school.
Happy New Years to all the military folks out there!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 9:24 PM

Im familiar with the active first program, I dont understand how you did not look into it or was explained by your recruiter in the beginning, when you got your contract.

Main difference is the Army reserves are all support MOS's, no infantry, no tankers, nada. They are typically more relaxed. The only reserve unit that has infantry is out of Hawaii.

National Guard has two roles, state and federal. Its the oldest Military in U.S. history, and have been part of every single war, peace keeping, humanitarian, and training missions since 1636. NG has infantry, tankers, cav scouts, special forces, rangers all the schools you can think of you can get (maybe not now because the budget issues) Most units that are not Infantry units I notice are more lax. All the Infantry Units Ive met in Ca. have seasoned war vets, tons of former active duty, and tons of former Marines.

Even with the budget issues, I attended a 2 week training stint before christmas and came out with around $1800 after tax. I dont know about reserves, but when on Active Duty training, I have been getting per diem and travel pay, which was around $66 a day non taxed, about $140 for the travel, and I was getting BAH/BAQ on top of base pay. We have a live fire coming up in a few weeks and itll be the same, so the pay is decent for guard training. ****, less than a month in Germany netted me way over $2800 after taxes. Not bad for a broke state.

Since April of 2012, I have not done a "one weekend a month, two weeks a year" drill like what I thought was supposed to happen. All my drills for some reason were two weeks or more in a month, then went over seas for a month, then when we came back my unit put us in for more two week or more drills. Im barely at my civilian job.

I like the guard, if your in a good unit its good stuff. I have had paper work in to go Active for months, I may just scrap that and find an AGR position just because the pay is damn good, especially with California BAH.
Old 01-09-2013, 5:43 PM

1SOCALGUNNER, sounds like you may be in the same Battalion as I.
Old 01-09-2013, 8:32 PM

When I was in boot camp we regulars would give the NG guys a lot of bs. They may not be regular Army (in my case) but I had more respect for them than the jodies who stayed at home on their couch and didn't give at least a little something of themselves.
Old 01-10-2013, 8:37 PM

The Army Reserves has Combat Arms positions in it. You just need to know where to look. From my time in the Army I have worked with Soldiers from every component of the Army. From what I have learned the National Guard tends to have little to no upward mobility when it comes to promotion. You are also limited to units that are located within the state. In the Reserves if you move you can find a unit nearby and transfer. It is also fairly easy to unit hop and collect MOS's in the Reserves. Everything depends on what you are willing to do and what you want to put into the remaining time you have left in the service.
Old 01-20-2013, 8:25 AM

Its a joke when in M-Day status, but when we get deployed (from my experience) we do our jobs very well.

RIP SGT Carlo "Eugie" Eugenio

KIA 29 OCT 2011 Camp Phoenix, Kabul, AFG
Old 01-21-2013, 2:44 PM

First off as an ex-recruiter I know that the 8 year IRR is clearly stated in the contract with no fine print, and it is also covered by the witness at meps before you sign the contract. It is basically they want to know where you are for the next four years. You show up once a year fill out recall info and your obligation is fulfilled. Looks like you chose to instead of IRR go active reserve/guard which is at minimum 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year.
The Guard is State while reserve is federal. The benefits are kind of close with a few exception. Most Guard members can attend a State college for free while reserve without prior service GI bill get nothing. You still have no healthcare unless you save all your illnesses for you weekend drill.
Guard sometimes offers a 9-5 job in addition to your weekend drill (sometimes!!!)
Both have the ability to activate you and send you to sandy places, or with the guard you can be sent to floods, earthquakes, and other disasters.
In closing you can just fulfill your obligation with a simple IRR and not active reserve or guard, but you might have been mislead into joining active guard or reserve. READ THE FINE PRINT AND ASK QUESTIONS
Old 02-27-2013, 2:10 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
READ THE FINE PRINT AND ASK QUESTIONS
I never served, but I don't think I want the OP in my outfit.