Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-19-2013, 9:01 AM

Default Why prep, why store food/water, ammo, guns?

If something like this can happen, why are we all preparing to survive and protect our friends and families when we can possibly be detained and our weapons confiscated? How do we protect ourselves from this?

http://www.infowars.com/army-course-...cted-firearms/

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -Albert Einstein
Old 01-19-2013, 9:12 AM

Well, for one it would be very difficult to detain the 11million residents of LA county. Two where would they put people?
I believe we owe it to ourselves and our families to be prepared.
Old 01-19-2013, 9:18 AM

That's what I thought too, but to see some of the footage of people being forced to hand over their weapons and to hear the police chief over there stating that nobody will have any firearms other than the police and army is some very scary stuff.

Again, how do we protect our weapons and our rights to stay in our homes and live off of our preps if something like what happened in those videos could happen over here? It's not like Louisiana doesn't have a ton of people either.

We have a huge earthquake and the looting starts from those who haven't prepared. Then the National guard comes in to disarm the people to "prevent" continued looting and damage... how do we honest people only wanting to protect our families and preps get to keep our weapons in a case like this? Do we hide them in the house somewhere? This thing really scares me that they can just trample on our rights like that.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -Albert Einstein
Old 01-19-2013, 9:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Cool

Because we don't ALL live in CA.
Old 01-19-2013, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

If something major happened, hopefully the police and NG would be too busy restoring order than have time to confiscate weapons. Also, time to bug out??

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Because we don't ALL live in CA.
I know... this didn't happen in CA either!!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

For me, I store food, water, and emergency supplies (including my guns) for preparation against disasters and any number of possible economic disasters: hyperinflation, shortages, devaluation of the dollar, etc.

I consider my best protection the fact that I already live in my bug out location. Moved to a small rural farm last year several miles away from any major roads, and we are on our way to self-sufficiency - growing food, two year-round creeks and a well, a year's worth of dehydrated food. We are saving up to put in off-grid solar electrical. My worry in a crisis will be protecting my stuff from all the people bugging out from urban centers.

If it actually comes down to confiscation, I think most of us have no idea what we will do. It will all depend on the circumstances. I know a lot of people who say "out of my cold, dead hands" will be singing a different tune if it actually happened. I can say if I were in a Katrina-esque type situation, I'd probably hand them over and then hope they would be returned at some point, or at least be compensated for them.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would like to t I wouldnt be found in a situation like that, but as stated before, I dont think anyone can really know until the situation arises.
Old 01-19-2013, 1:09 PM

Woulda been nice to see an unedited footage clip, not one pieced together by the nut job Alex Jones. The man has some good things to say occasionally, but he is literally not right in the head.

Also I don't have anymore guns, I lost them on a hunting trip in Wyoming awhile back...
Old 01-19-2013, 1:13 PM

Good security and preparations are useful in many scenarios; it's very unlikely that you (or anyone) will accurately predict exactly how the **** will hit the fan in the future.

So the fact that a particular preparation or precaution won't be helpful in every bad circumstance doesn't erase the fact that it might be very helpful in other bad circumstances.

I think it's a big mistake to turn a lot of smaller, solvable problems into a single giant unsolvable problem like "bad things will happen in the future" and then do nothing. In the big picture, we're all going to be die, so who cares, right?

One of the lessons we can learn from WWII and specifically Germany's attempted extermination of the Jews is that, as a divided populace, it's possible to achieve a result that wouldn't be possible if it were attempted all at once. 1,000 people can oppress 1,000,000 people if they focus on the 1,000,000 a few at a time.

If 10 bad guys come to my house to screw with me and take my stuff or kill me, if my neighbors let that happen, I'm toast. Maybe I've got a zillion guns with all of the cool Mag-Pul **** hanging off of them and I've got my digital camo 5.11 tactical pajamas and I'm a Front Sight Intergalactic Space Ambassador member - ultimately they can use small arms fire to keep me in my house long enough to burn it to the ground with me inside it, and my only choice is to die by asphyxiation, fire, or gunshot wound.

And then tomorrow they can get my next-door neighbor, and if nobody else lifts a finger, my next-door neighbor will be toast, because even a small group of bad guys can outnumber/overwhelm him.

And if the 1,000 people repeat that process over and over again, eventually they can disarm/oppress/disenfranchise/enslave/kill the larger group . . . as long as they do it slowly.

But we don't have to let our neighbors go down without a fight. Organized, systematic oppression is a serious threat - but it's not insurmountable. Don't give up - the loss of the will to fight is how the objectively weaker force tricks the objectively stronger force into surrender/defeat.
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 01-19-2013, 1:14 PM

Just because it could happen doesn't mean we lay down and go along. Our forefathers did not and neither should we.

Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
Old 01-19-2013, 1:18 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
One of the lessons we can learn from WWII and specifically Germany's attempted extermination of the Jews is that, as a divided populace, it's possible to achieve a result that wouldn't be possible if it were attempted all at once. 1,000 people can oppress 1,000,000 people if they focus on the 1,000,000 a few at a time.
How many Jews do you think there were?

How many Germans do you think would have been just fine with being able to write the history of WW2?

Thank you for posting your location. I have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-19-2013, 1:20 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetyme View Post
Just because it could happen doesn't mean we lay down and go along. Our forefathers did not and neither should we.

Reading the history of the Revolutionary war, it is clear the population of the states was evenly divided. Lots of Tories, lots of Americans. The British got tired, gave up, and we won. Fast forward to Ho Chi Minh.
Old 01-19-2013, 6:12 PM

Yeah before getting too worried, research "infowars." You'll find it's anything but objective.
Old 01-19-2013, 6:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Because I have kids and a wife that I love and I WILL NOT hear my children crying for food if I can do anything about it. I WILL NOT allow my children to become victims of criminals if I can do anything about it. Not everyone lives where such things as confiscation would be an easy task.
Old 01-19-2013, 6:45 PM

Just checking guys... That video got me a little worried. But since then I've been researching and found just as you guys suggested...

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Old 01-20-2013, 4:16 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
If something major happened, hopefully the police and NG would be too busy restoring order than have time to confiscate weapons. Also, time to bug out??
The chaos following Katrina didn't stop or even slow em down.
Old 01-27-2013, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetyme View Post

Exactly. Something else to consider - not all the cops and military will go along with such illegal orders. Some will realize how dangerous it could be to try and disarm law abiding citizens. Some will turn on those who give such orders.
Old 01-27-2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Something else to consider - not all the cops and military will go along with such illegal orders. Some will realize how dangerous it could be to try and disarm law abiding citizens. Some will turn on those who give such orders.
You are beyond tactical aptitude. Good luck with that.
Old 01-27-2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
Think about their choice if carrying out the orders was the difference in him/her and family having a full belly or not.

Last edited by MotoriousRacing; 01-27-2013 at 3:59 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
How many Jews do you think there were?

How many Germans do you think would have been just fine with being able to write the history of WW2?

Thank you for posting your location. I have nothing to worry about.
I don't know what you got from my post, but this means nothing to me. If your goal is to be understood when you communicate, you might get better results with statements instead of questions.
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 01-27-2013, 5:06 PM

Think of it as a penny saved is a penny earned. Setting aside inflated prices from the current panic, firearms and ammo will be more expensive 5 years from now. My problem is the Y2K survival gear and clothing I bought in '98 won't button or zip up any more

I should have bought more ammo.
Old 01-27-2013, 5:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

the thing I dont get is why people stock up thousands and thousands of rounds for doomsday. whaddya plan on going into a firefight? If its a rebel cause, youll have ammo and guns no matter what. your rebels. realistically, people probably wont even get off 500 rounds down their guns in shtf scenario bet. of course unless its them zombies

Ammo isnt going to do much if a solar storm destroys our magnetic field, or the countless other possibilities. But than again why not have thousands?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 PM

I think we should do whatever our government asks of us. After all, those are our elected officials, and they certainly know what's best for us better than we do.
Old 01-28-2013, 5:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Kids dictate that you at least think about their future... grim, or planned-for, just in case...

Living in Earthquake alley should be able to help more than ourselves. Some people don't learn from history, such as the last two hurricanes, and didn't notice the lack of help by gub-ment...
Old 01-28-2013, 8:36 AM

I never know what type of S going to HTF, or what the government would do. If they are to take away all my stuff, they do that. But that doesnt stop me from prepping today, because i might have a chance to eat my food while uncle sam still decide which best way to ride into town.