Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-02-2014, 6:19 PM

Default Brass in Marine barracks?

Does anybody know the policy about fired brass in the barracks? I knew an armorer in Okinawa who got NJP'd for having two fired cases but I don't know if that was specific to Japan.

If anyone can provide the MCO that would be perfect. Thank you.
Old 01-02-2014, 8:38 PM

Thought this was gonna be about Officers in the barracks.
Old 01-02-2014, 8:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by esnyderr View Post
Me too.

Reminded me of a time when I was at Camp Lejeune when a married male E7 was caught in the barracks on top of a female E3. She wasn't his wife...

It ended badly for him.

“The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.”

-Edmund Burke, Speech at Country Meeting of Buckinghamshire, 1784
Old 01-02-2014, 9:11 PM

We can discuss that too if you've heard about the 'War in the Barracks.'

I'm just really interested in the fired brass policy...
Old 01-02-2014, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

'Don't know aboutthe Marines, but in the Army it was well understod that you did not want to be caught hanging onto brass.
Old 01-02-2014, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
Me too.

Reminded me of a time when I was at Camp Lejeune when a married male E7 was caught in the barracks on top of a female E3. She wasn't his wife...

It ended badly for him.
hahahaha
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

When I was in, the big deal was unfired ammo in the bricks. The Corps started getting really stupid when I was gettin out so I wouldn't be surprised if some over zealous officer or SNCO who doesn't like you would use this to burn you. Maybe not NJP but give you the green weenie.....no lube!!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6114DAVE View Post
When I was in, the big deal was unfired ammo in the bricks. The Corps started getting really stupid when I was gettin out so I wouldn't be surprised if some over zealous officer or SNCO who doesn't like you would use this to burn you. Maybe not NJP but give you the green weenie.....no lube!!
Everybody likes me

Just in case I went looking for anything written about it. Taking it from a range is larceny since they sell that stuff as surplus but as for privately purchased brass I haven't found anything.

The long list of rules on the back of my door bans ammunition and explosives but nothing about brass cases. I emailed the barracks manager and might go talk to him personally on Monday. If I get a thumbs-up I absolutely want a record of it to ward of the green weenie.
Old 01-04-2014, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopjan View Post
Everybody likes me

Just in case I went looking for anything written about it. Taking it from a range is larceny since they sell that stuff as surplus but as for privately purchased brass I haven't found anything.

The long list of rules on the back of my door bans ammunition and explosives but nothing about brass cases. I emailed the barracks manager and might go talk to him personally on Monday. If I get a thumbs-up I absolutely want a record of it to ward of the green weenie.
The green weenie just takes what it wants!! Good job covering your six
Old 01-04-2014, 4:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
that was my first thought as well.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-04-2014, 4:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
i hate it when those boots come in my barracks
Old 01-04-2014, 4:19 PM

Back in the Army in the 80's/90's, brass here and there wasn't a big deal. We even had 120mm endcaps for ash trays.

These days, probably a no-go.
Old 01-04-2014, 4:33 PM

In 93, we had some idiot in SOI who tried to take a green star cluster home on a weekend. Airport police thought it was a pipe bomb. Surprisingly he didn't get kicked out or even do major jail time. Of course that was pre 9/11.
Old 01-06-2014, 6:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Depends on your BEQ policy. Most of them state that you're not allowed to have firearms and/or ammunition but it's probably up to your command (or who finds it) to determine if spent brass is considered ammunition.

HOWEVER

It is ILLEGAL to remove live or spent ammunition from a military range. That includes live ammunition, brass, bullets and stripper clips. If you haven't been to the range in quite some time and there are folks in your command that know you're an avid shooter and your weapons are properly stored (parents house back home or in the armory), then they MIGHT let you off. If they can prove you went to the range, say last week, you're screwed.

I didn't own an AR-15 in California until I moved out of the barracks. No chance of them accusing me of stealing 5.56 ammo or brass.
Old 01-06-2014, 7:53 PM

Face it: you're in the barracks. Anything that could possibly bring you joy and/or pleasure is verboten.
You're best bet is to start cruising the MCX or bars off base, become Ahab, and catch yourself that great white land-whale that can get you BAH, and possibly some sort of STD.*

Erik

*I'm by no means a lawyer, life coach, or even a decent role model; proceed at your own risk.
Old 01-06-2014, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Me too.

It ended badly for him.
When were you stationed in Lejeune?
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

Command Discretion pertaining to BEQ/BOQ policies. While I have yet to find it, I can almost guarantee there will be a Base Order that eclipses your unit's policies.
Old 01-07-2014, 4:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
Command Discretion pertaining to BEQ/BOQ policies. While I have yet to find it, I can almost guarantee there will be a Base Order that eclipses your unit's policies.
Not likely other than the one about removing brass from a range. Beyond that it is the commander's discretion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 01-07-2014, 3:49 PM

Thumbs up

I spoke to the BEQ manager today. We went over barracks policy and found nothing pertaining to brass, so he sent the order to me as a pdf with instructions to make sure not single case is actually a live round, which I was planning on anyway.

I'll be keeping the written policy and receipt locked up with the brass so if somehow it becomes an issue I can show that it is not prohibited, at least not in any order the BEQ manager or myself could find, and that it was not taken from a military range.
Old 01-08-2014, 4:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Isn't the BEQ policy supposed to be attached to the back of your for anyway? What installation are you on?

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 01-08-2014, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrell View Post
Isn't the BEQ policy supposed to be attached to the back of your for anyway? What installation are you on?

I'm going to guess Pendleton considering his "location."
Old 01-08-2014, 6:07 AM
Michael Ehline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentenza View Post
Back in the Army in the 80's/90's, brass here and there wasn't a big deal. We even had 120mm endcaps for ash trays.

These days, probably a no-go.
^^^ Same in the Corps. back in 89 circa. We would come in from humps with brass in our BDU's Alice packs, etc., that ejected and simply ended up there with beach sand, rocks, pebbles and everything else.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:

It only mentions live ammunition and pyrotechnics.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Banned

Back in basic our drill sergeant was doing inspections where he would bring in a spent casing with him and with some slight of hand pull it out of random people's wall lockers to see their response.

He tried it on me and my battle buddy, luckily I could clearly see it was a 7.62 NATO and not 5.56. We had not fired any weapon at that point in 7.62 and I pointed it out. He just said "Stay alert, stay alive" and moved out. Quickest inspection of all time lol.

I wouldn't worry about it much at permanent party, the odd spent casing is easy to get caught in all the pockets and pouches in your battle rattle, and if you are a decent soldier or Marine that has stayed out of trouble I'm sure your NCO's will be reasonable.
Old 01-08-2014, 1:29 PM
Banned

Those poor Marines! In the Army we just had blue falcons to look out for...and for a good laugh every time 3-325 AIR was on the parade field.
Old 01-08-2014, 2:08 PM

Ok the way it works is base order is first than barracks manager orders(basicaly which ever unit owns the building will fall under some battalion or wing. That order is next) than it is your own command order. It does not matter what the others say it only matters on the base order which is what PMO goes by. It is illegal on the east coast so im sure its the same here.
Old 01-08-2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin11 View Post
Ok the way it works is base order is first than barracks manager orders(basicaly which ever unit owns the building will fall under some battalion or wing. That order is next) than it is your own command order. It does not matter what the others say it only matters on the base order which is what PMO goes by. It is illegal on the east coast so im sure its the same here.
Found the order. http://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Por...usingRules.pdf

The only relevant thing I could find is 'Reloading of ammunition cartridges is permitted only in the garage area.' No mention of spent brass by itself and no mention of it being prohibited inside.
Old 01-11-2014, 6:55 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon freeman View Post
Obviously, you've never met the Green Weenie...

...The above image has been cropped
to avoid getting the green weenie myself from the mods.
Yup...that image is cropped.....or if you want a mental image, just picture...a giant....green..,weenie...duhhh
Old 01-11-2014, 4:55 PM

If it is military brass it's not a good thing to have a random round or two isn't a huge deal but he should just toss it if he accidentally had it. All those rounds are marked with specific lots that can be traced back to the unit and person who checked it out so it's easy to tell if he was collecting brass some shoots he was on or if it was just some random piece someone else left in there and never got picked up when he moved out.

Civilian brass isn't a big deal but live ammo is bad.
Old 01-11-2014, 4:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Smoke View Post
If it is military brass it's not a good thing to have a random round or two isn't a huge deal but he should just toss it if he accidentally had it. All those rounds are marked with specific lots that can be traced back to the unit and person who checked it out so it's easy to tell if he was collecting brass some shoots he was on or if it was just some random piece someone else left in there and never got picked up when he moved out.

Civilian brass isn't a big deal but live ammo is bad.
You realize you can buy Lake City ammo at Big 5 or Turners which is the same stuff we shoot on the range right? The only lot information is in paperwork and stamped on the crates that the ammo cans come in, not the brass itself. If you were a reloader you'd know that.

I'll take a picture if you don't believe me ^_^
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
You realize you can buy Lake City ammo at Big 5 or Turners which is the same stuff we shoot on the range right? The only lot information is in paperwork and stamped on the crates that the ammo cans come in, not the brass itself. If you were a reloader you'd know that.

What do you do in the military?

All lake city ammo or any ammo/explosives taken from an ASP is marked with specific set of numbers/symbols these can be traced back to where the ammo came from and who signed for it.

I have personally seen it happen when they found a live round where it shouldn't be and looked up the lot number to find out if it was just something that was hidden in a crack or someone was carrying ammo they shouldn't have.

I also just went through an RSO course.

So you are wrong, sorry.
Old 01-12-2014, 2:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have personally seen it happen when they found a live round where it shouldn't be and looked up the lot number to find out if it was just something that was hidden in a crack or someone was carrying ammo they shouldn't have.
So you are wrong, sorry.
Right....because the 5.56 brass I have at home thats headstamped with "LC (+) 08" it totally traceable to the exact source of where it came from, besides Lake city.
Quote:
All lake city ammo or any ammo/explosives taken from an ASP is marked with specific set of numbers/symbols these can be traced back to where the ammo came from and who signed for it.
We're talking about the BRASS, not the entire unit of ammo that comes in the can with Lot numbers on them. For instance if a range on Pendleton happens to be using LC 11 stamped ammo and a store is selling LC 11 M855 somewhere else. how would that individual brass be traceable exactly? I'm not saying YOU are wrong, just please better justify these claims for us skeptics

To the OP, there is a sign out front of my unit's barracks thats says "Weapons and ammunition" need to be stored in the unit armory.
however, CA definition of ammunition means an ENTIRE UNIT: Brass, powder, primer, bullet, shot and/or wad (lets not argue that a cartridge and a casing is the same, because they aren't)
Quote:
16150. (a) As used in Section 30300, "ammunition" means handgun
ammunition as defined in Section 16650.
(b) As used in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section
30306, "ammunition" includes, but is not limited to, any bullet,
cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile
capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence.
"Ammunition" does not include blanks.
The ATF derived definition differs:
Quote:
QUOTED FROM: WWW.ATF.GOV
Gun Control Act Definitions
Ammunition
18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(17)(A)

The term “Ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm.
^Anyone find it funny how the definition is the item itself? Ammunition is defined as ammunition...

CONCLUSION: YOUR COMMAND WILL FOLLOW FEDERAL LAW/UCMJ AND NOT CALIFORNIA STATE LAW. NO BRASS IN THE BARRACKS.

Last edited by Germz; 01-12-2014 at 2:59 AM..
Old 01-12-2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:

this is correct info. ammo section chief B1/126FA 1985-1999 ammo section asst chief 99-2003 HQ 2bn/185th armor.
i had to turn in all dunage (ammo cans,wooden crates,expended casings which were weigh counted and compared to paperwork i had signed for draw of ammo from base bunkers.
Old 01-12-2014, 2:52 AM

units normally have a turn in point with no questions asked for any live ammo. amnesty program.
we had an e3 take a trip flare home and his kid played with it and ended up at ER. this was a couple years before i became Ammo Section Chief. i used to turn in expended casings to make sure count was same as issued. grenade cotter pins with rings were turned in to show grenade was expended.
Old 01-12-2014, 8:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What do you do in the military?

So you are wrong, sorry.
I'm a mechanic. Apparently by going through RSO course you either didn't handle bulk ammunition or didn't pay any attention and believed some bs you were hand fed. Either way, you're incorrect. LC brass, either bought through contracts with the military or bought at your LGS, is marked exactly the same way. The proof is in the pictures. Show me where the lot number is marked on this live, green tipped, 62gr XM855 round. I'll give you a hint, it's printed on the box it came in, just like military ammo. Printed on the ammo can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140112_084546_073.jpg (77.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg ResizedImage_1389547062083.jpg (99.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-22-2014, 9:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
same
Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
BRILLIANT.
Old 01-28-2014, 6:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Souvenirs were "allegedly taken" in the Reserves all the time (not barracks related, but still)... I heard that a Gunny had his front walkway paved with expended shell-casings from M60's main gun MANY years ago.

I understand "some people" kept their first M1A1 Abrams case-base w/flash-tube they ever shot.

I think the biggest issue was the fact that it was resold as scrap metal and reloadable brass that got some return on the spent ammo from DRMO.
Old 02-04-2014, 9:46 PM

FYI, in Washington DC, expended brass casings or shotgun hulls are considered ammunition, and you can be arrested for having unlicensed ammunition, so make sure you understand the local law as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk