Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 03-05-2013, 7:22 AM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor

Default Target Masters Milpitas

Heading down to Target Masters this weekend. Has anyone been there lately and know if they have 9mm and .40SW range ammo in stock and what they are charging for it? They would not give prices over the phone.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM

I m not sure back in December they had 9mm for 14 a box though I think it was independence
Old 03-06-2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed.13 View Post
Heading down to Target Masters this weekend. Has anyone been there lately and know if they have 9mm and .40SW range ammo in stock and what they are charging for it? They would not give prices over the phone.
i avoid this place like the plague. you are better of at reeds indoor range where the range officers keep an eye at shooters.

Bruce Lee
Old 03-06-2013, 9:23 PM

Check reeds they had both only if you rented a lane from them thou
Also 3 box limit
Old 03-06-2013, 9:31 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_plinker View Post
Check reeds they had both only if you rented a lane from them thou
Also 3 box limit
It was a 4 box limit two weeks ago!

Targetmasters is cramp and not very well lit. Clientele is suspect as well. Reeds is more spacious and the lighting is good.
Old 03-06-2013, 9:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
It was a 4 box limit two weeks ago!

Targetmasters is cramp and not very well lit. Clientele is suspect as well. Reeds is more spacious and the lighting is good.
The space sucks, the lighting sucks, the staff sucks, the ventilation sucks, the target hangers suck, the average renters there kinda suck since the staff doesn't bother to make sure they have any idea of what they're doing, the paperwork sucks, the counter sucks, the rental guns suck(they never get cleaned, even though they badly need it), the parking lot sucks...

Just don't go there.
Old 03-06-2013, 9:52 PM

Targetmasters isn't all that bad if you go on less busy days and their ammo prices are that bad either.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
The space sucks, the lighting sucks, the staff sucks, the ventilation sucks, the target hangers suck, the average renters there kinda suck since the staff doesn't bother to make sure they have any idea of what they're doing, the paperwork sucks, the counter sucks, the rental guns suck(they never get cleaned, even though they badly need it), the parking lot sucks...

Just don't go there.
Don't hold back. Just tell us how you really feel! Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

It does suck! I don't feel safe there.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgiles View Post
i avoid this place like the plague. you are better of at reeds indoor range where the range officers keep an eye at shooters.
This is no longer the case. I went 3 weeks ago and a new shooter with a rented gun was shooting the wooden ceiling support beams on purpose until one splintered off and hit me 3 lanes over slicing my cheek open. Range officers didn't do a thing about it nor did they seem to care. I went over and let the new shooter what I thought of what he was doing but didn't get too into it as he was holding a gun after all. Reeds has gone down the drain, gun counter service is terrible, and poor range safety. Stick to outdoor ranges if you are serious about shooting.
Old 03-07-2013, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Don't hold back. Just tell us how you really feel! Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
At risk of getting banned? No thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Just don't go there.
hahahhah. Classic.

But TM will let you shoot 223. Just don't tell them you have it and just have at it when you get in the lane. I know this to be true, I saw the people in the lane next to me do it.
Old 03-07-2013, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopod View Post
This is no longer the case. I went 3 weeks ago and a new shooter with a rented gun was shooting the wooden ceiling support beams on purpose until one splintered off and hit me 3 lanes over slicing my cheek open. Range officers didn't do a thing about it nor did they seem to care. I went over and let the new shooter what I thought of what he was doing but didn't get too into it as he was holding a gun after all. Reeds has gone down the drain, gun counter service is terrible, and poor range safety. Stick to outdoor ranges if you are serious about shooting.
This is the exception, not the rule. They can't babysit everyone, and not ALL the ninnies go to TM as we all might hope.

I hear TM raised their range fees, too. If they brought them in line with Reeds, then the driving force for the ninnies to stay at TM will be less. In other words, assuming that's true, expect more ninnies at Reeds as time goes by.

The staff can only do so much before being overwhelmed.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 AM

I admit to shooting at TM frequently. I only go on weekdays during the early hours to avoid unsafe shooters and a good happy hour price ($9). I like Reed's though, better hangers and more space; I just don't like paying $16.
Old 03-08-2013, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Did you tell the RO? What did they say?
Old 03-09-2013, 9:50 AM

Quote:
some outdoor ranges don't have ammo for sale.
i'd like to know what the RO said as well.

Bruce Lee
Old 03-12-2013, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Very little space for anything at Reeds. Very narrow lanes. Even though the range is open and visible, none of the RO's enforce any sort of rules. I saw about 4 or 5 young adults all gabbing and laughing and taking cell phone pics, like it was just another day in front of the HS locker. None were paying any attention to what was happening, let alone that they were messing with loaded guns. Fortunately, they packed up and left before we were ready to go in. Not even a watchful eye from the RO. It was NOT busy and there were plenty of employees to cover the counter and watch the range. The range should be priority number one. Not new rentals or sales. People won't die if they have to wait an extra five minutes for service.

Reeds on the other hand always seem to rotate one person to go in and or watch from behind the glass. Especially if there are newbies or if its crowded.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-12-2013, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Very little space for anything at Reeds. Very narrow lanes. Even though the range is open and visible, none of the RO's enforce any sort of rules. I saw about 4 or 5 young adults all gabbing and laughing and taking cell phone pics, like it was just another day in front of the HS locker. None were paying any attention to what was happening, let alone that they were messing with loaded guns. Fortunately, they packed up and left before we were ready to go in. Not even a watchful eye from the RO. It was NOT busy and there were plenty of employees to cover the counter and watch the range. The range should be priority number one. Not new rentals or sales. People won't die if they have to wait an extra five minutes for service.

Reeds on the other hand always seem to rotate one person to go in and or watch from behind the glass. Especially if there are newbies or if its crowded.
I think you meant to type Target Masters?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
I think you meant to type Target Masters?
lol. Maybe he hates TM so much he can't even type it, heh.
Old 03-13-2013, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
lol. Maybe he hates TM so much he can't even type it, heh.
Lol! Yeah. Sorry about that. I meant TM.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-21-2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:

Just don't go there.
Wish I had seen this earlier. They demand the following information to buy ammunition or rent guns:

-- name
-- address
-- driver's license number
-- phone number
-- date of birth

Open invitation to identity theft.
Old 03-21-2013, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

I was there last week and they had a surprisingly good supply of ammo in stock and another delivery being unloaded. Don't know what the prices are or if its only for their rentals or not but they had it.
Their display cases however were almost completely empty of handguns for sale! A few single shot revolvers and 2 or 3 SA XD compacts and thats about it. Normally they have one of the best selections of common handguns for sale anywhere. Kind of shocking to see this.
TM is better to shoot there during the week. Cheap too. Weekends theres lots of yahoos there but you'll see that almost anywhere. Good luck and be safe.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 03-21-2013, 7:18 PM
CGN Contributor

I was there picking up a gun around 4pm and they said that they had just received a shipment of SA XD's, Sigs, and Beretas. Couldn't say what models since they weren't unpacked.
I didn't see any boxes in the middle area, so I can't verify that was true.
Looked like they had a decent amount of PMC Range ammo in the usual flavors (9,40,&45).
Last time I shot there they allowed unlimited purchase of ammo. I was shooting 9mm and was 15.99 a box for Independence or S&B. not too bad considering.
The range itself was cleaned up and shortened several months ago.
The lane booths are still CRAPPY. I recommend you bring something to serve as a small bench if you need some laydown room and don't like the floor. The bench tops are tiny and there's no underneath storage like Reeds has. Seen some guys bring in small folding camp tables at different ranges. A lot of baggage for practicing, but if you need it...
Old 03-21-2013, 7:22 PM
CGN Contributor

Oh, there were the three or so SA XD's as mentioned before. There were a couple Kahrs.
There were also three HK USP's. A Compact 45, a 40c, and not sure what the other was except it was not a 9mm. Priced in the $840 range. Grab em while they are there.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekside View Post
Wish I had seen this earlier. They demand the following information to buy ammunition or rent guns:

-- name
-- address
-- driver's license number
-- phone number
-- date of birth

Open invitation to identity theft.
They require the above info for ANY purchase. This even includes stickers, t-shirts, cleaning supplies, batteries etc. This is one of the many reasons why I do not support Target Masters. They do have excellent prices on their handguns, but my safety and privacy are of greater importance.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:04 PM

Target Masters is great.... if you like shooting next to homeboys imitating their favorite movie gangsters. I hate this place, it is so ghetto. It's dark, dirty and unsafe. I used to go there late nights and it always seemed like date night. You'd get first time shooters there with their girlfriends looking to have fun. Not such a bad thing, but all safety is out the door. I had a girl swing a loaded pistol right by my face because she was laughing with her boyfriend.
Old 04-06-2013, 2:02 PM

Gangsta types don't wake up early. Go to TM during the week before noon and you'll likely have the place to yourself. Hard to beat their happy hour pricing too.
Old 04-06-2013, 2:13 PM
CGN Contributor

I've been to TM half a dozen times this year, haven't had a bad experience yet.

Had to wait 20 mins for a lane to open up once, every other time I just walked in and got a lane.

Yes, there are new people shooting but you're likely to find that at any range.

+1000000 to them fixing up the booths. With the amount of rental money they're bringing in I would think sprucing up the galleries would be a wise investment.
Old 04-07-2013, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Default When TM ask for I.D. theft questions...

When ID isn't required to shoot or rent, I always give them SJPDs street address and I suddenly change my name to, Richard Long, 3rd. TM hasn't caught it in 20 some years.
Old 04-07-2013, 3:53 PM

They suck!!! The staff has no knowledge of firearms and they are bullsh*ting most of the time and the lines are always long.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I buy guns and items at Target Masters, but do not use their range at all.
Old 04-27-2013, 1:59 AM

I've been a regular at TM for awhile now, not just to shoot, but to buy as well. Personally, I love the staff. They're good people who make me laugh. They also let me know when shipments of anything I'm looking for (guns or ammo) come in and put it aside for me if they know I'm looking. I've never* had a bad experience with them at all. It's dark in the range? So's your house at night when a burglar breaks in. Too ghetto and has too many hoodlums? So do certain parts of San Jose and the entirety of Oakland. Think of it as training for living in the Bay Area. If anyone points a gun at you in the range, point one at them and warn em if they keep it up, you're likely to assume they mean you harm and you will respond appropriately**!

*While I disapprove of the 12,205+ hours it takes to complete all the forms just to do a ppt or buy a rifle, the staff keeps me well enough entertained during that time.

**This may or may not be a great idea, but it would certainly be hilarious and probably keep any newbie shooters from making that mistake again.
Old 05-04-2013, 7:59 AM

There is so much to say about target masters. There staff as 50 50, there prices are great when there actually in stock but shooting there is like......putting your life in the hands of a infant. To many close calls to go shooting there again. Guns being pointed at you, people shooting of the walls because they wanted to shoot the "dirty hairy" gun ( and they asked for it just like that) so much more to list.
Back to your original question 9 were soemthing like 20 a box and 40 were out of stock i believe. And that was about a week ago according to my buddy
Old 05-04-2013, 8:11 AM

Went to visit the TargetMasters for the first time about a month ago. They were crazy busy at the rental counter with a bunch of young guys and girls wanting to shoot. Most sounded like first timers. One guy swept the room with a rifle as he was looking at it from the rental counter. The staff told him to keep it pointed down.

Anyhow when it cleared out a bit the guy behind the counter asked if I needed any help. I asked if they had any .45 or 9mm in stock to sell. Reply was yes but can't sell it to you unless you shoot it here. That's cool. Thanked him and left.

Don't mind the sell policies at all. Their business so they can whatever they want. Only thing that really bugged me was the large number of young knuckleheads that don't seem to follow the safety rules.

Too much stress to have to worry about whether or not I'll get shot because some yahoo swept the room.

Just 2 cents.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

"Saying we don't need guns because we have cops is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firefighters"

"My lemonade stand was robbed once by two thieves. I shot them both. No more robberies."

"Went to the Giants game yesterday. For opsec reasons I said I was going next week. Can never be to careful."
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM

I kick myself almost every time I go there, but it's 5min from my office. Makes for a nice lunch break when it goes well, it rarely does.

The info they collect annoys the crap out of me. But the most troubling thing is the unsupervised access given to absolute ZERO experience knuckleheads.

Last time I visited just such a person was checking in as I was leaving. He complained to the counter-guy that Reed's wouldn't rent him a gun because he didn't know how to operate it. The counter guy BRAGGED that TM didn't require proficiency demonstration because "everybody has to learn".

Um.....rather than hand some idiot a firearm so they can learn by trial and error (God help whomever is on the receiving end of that error) why don't you charge a fee (which will eliminate the bottom of the barrel moron who is just doing it for kicks) for a rental qualification lesson and TEACH and supervise their learning?

While I've never been swept in the lanes (that I know of), I have seen it happen to other people and I have seen a dude hand his girl a handgun that she tossed onto the floor after "it went off".
Old 06-04-2013, 9:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
I kick myself almost every time I go there, but it's 5min from my office. Makes for a nice lunch break when it goes well, it rarely does.

The info they collect annoys the crap out of me. But the most troubling thing is the unsupervised access given to absolute ZERO experience knuckleheads.

Last time I visited just such a person was checking in as I was leaving. He complained to the counter-guy that Reed's wouldn't rent him a gun because he didn't know how to operate it. The counter guy BRAGGED that TM didn't require proficiency demonstration because "everybody has to learn".

Um.....rather than hand some idiot a firearm so they can learn by trial and error (God help whomever is on the receiving end of that error) why don't you charge a fee (which will eliminate the bottom of the barrel moron who is just doing it for kicks) for a rental qualification lesson and TEACH and supervise their learning?

While I've never been swept in the lanes (that I know of), I have seen it happen to other people and I have seen a dude hand his girl a handgun that she tossed onto the floor after "it went off".
They shouldn't need a class or anything, what they need is to get employees that aren't satisfied with minimum wage.

http://web.archive.org/web/201201092...786898170.html

You'd be better off flipping burgers(usually a free or discounted lunch, and there's actually a possibility of advancement sometimes).

Of course the problem with that, is that the owner is a cheapskate(and douche) and can operate on such razor thin margins on firearm purchases due to the volume, because his personnel costs are so low. It's a recipe for mediocrity.
Old 06-04-2013, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgiles View Post
Best advice i've ever seen on this forum, targetmasters=death wish

F.T.W