Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 06-17-2018, 8:04 PM

Default New hunter needs advice

Just completed hunter ed course and will purchase my hunting license after July 1. I would like to go out and try and bag a turkey when the season opens up this fall, and one the following spring. depending how it goes, I will try to bag a pig sometime too. We have a family friend that has given us permission to take 1 turkey each on his land. We know the property well and see birds in the same general area each time we visit. There are deer and some pigs there too, but we do not have permission to take any this year.

So I need a license, upland bird validation, and turkey tags.. and thats it, right?

In terms of hunting equipment I have...

- a shotgun that I plan on hunting with
- I also have a high powered pellet rifle that I may consider hunting with later on
- I have random bright orange vest and hat for hiking to hunt location
- Bug out bag/backpack with survival/hydration/first aid/fire starting supplies, insect repellent, etc
- Good hiking boots
- Binoculars

I know I will need...

- Calls. I stopped by and looked at the selection at bass pro today. there are hundreds of these things and its kind of overwhelming. thinking of getting a set of mouth calls and practice from now until season starts.... any recommendations on brand/type? any other types of calls to get?
- Decoys.... are they totally necessary?
- Camo. I have none. Its never really been my style
- Blind. I saw a small pack able blind by primos for around $30. its only like 3ft tall, is it even worth getting? trying to keep the blind on the cheap side
- Primos trigger stick shooting sticks are sweeeeet. I think ill pick one up just for the heck of it
- processing stuff, cheesecloth, bags, etc

what else might I need, and what can I do without? any equipment I should steer away from?

Also, my mom recently retired and bought a place in the outskirts of Sonora (stanislaus ntl forest). How do I find out what/where to hunt there?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by fishnbeer; 06-17-2018 at 8:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-2018, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Only been on a couple of turkey hunts. Hunting license with upland stamp. Decoys are necessary. Couldn’t figure out the mouth calls so did the slate/wood stick call. Box call is easy too. Camo face mask is important. Pattern your shotgun. Usually a full choke with hevi shot turkey loads. A knife to clean the bird. Deet and a pad or low chair to sit on. Bug proof clothing.
Old 06-17-2018, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Clip on hi viz sight for shotgun
Old 06-18-2018, 9:07 AM

As far as I know there are no Turkey tags, you just need the license and upland stamp.

The key is learning how to sit as still as possible, no blinking, no chewing gum, not even thinking about moving. The quieter and more still the better.

Turkeys will use their head like a periscope without ever letting on that they are around. that one moment when you twitch your shoulder, they are watching and they will be out of there.

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Old 06-18-2018, 9:30 AM

Pattern your shotgun
Find choke ammo combo that works for you
Practice shooting from a seated position

Scout scout scout
Old 06-18-2018, 9:54 AM

I'd advise to leave the pellet gun at home. I had a bad experience. While that may have been a rare event that will never happen again, it would never have happened with a shotgun or bow.

If you want to try turkey hunting in the fall, do so with a light heart & few expectations. Spring gobblers are much easier to find and hunt, in my experience. But if you know the property & the animals, then go for it.

Camo - not necessary if you have a good blind.
Blinds - not necessary if you have good camo.

I use plaids for almost all my hunting. But for turkey, I take a leafy suit. But I'm usually hunting with a traditional bow so I need to be close. For a 12 gauge, plaids will do fine. Use natural cover however you can. Just don't move. Ever. I think it was Fred Bear who said that the best camo pattern ever invented is called "Sit Still and Shut Up."

I've taken 6 turkeys with a combo of mouth calls and box calls. I mostly just use the mouth call but the box call is a tried and true classic. Plus, it's easier to use and loud for locating toms. For the fall, you're probably going to want something that can do a good "kee-kee-run." I can only do this on a mouth call.

Decoys - not necessary with a shotgun but can help. I wouldn't bother with it myself. For traditional bow hunting, it's almost required. Almost.

Keep your pack light & with only your daily essentials. Be prepared to move, change setups and otherwise adapt to what the animals do. Try not to keep too much in your pack or make too big a commitment to one strategy (blind locations, for example).

Good luck! Sounds like you have a good spot.
Old 06-18-2018, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

I'd skip the blind. Get some camo's for the weather you'll be hunting in. Then just use a tree or bush to lean against killing your outline.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Put at least one decoy out there. I have a friend that’s experienced. Binoculars, couple of decoys, calls and shotgun is what we used when we went out.

If you know where the turkeys are, get a cheap ground blind, set up, put out decoys and call them in.

AvianX Breeder Turkey Decoy, Camo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSK5O92..._pz-jBbPT292QA
Old 06-18-2018, 10:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Non lead ammo get hevi shot.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Skip the blind/decoys and get some camo. Sometimes they won’t come to the call and it’s easier to pick up and move without a bunch of crap. I use a box call and mouth call. Generally we used the box to bring them in and then the mouth to keep their interest on the final approach. Me and a buddy take turns calling/shooting. The one calling stays fully out of site behind trees or bushes since the box call requires movement. The shooter sets up against a tree or some brush that help conceal your natural outline. Sitting in the shade works better than full sun. Don’t even blink, twitch or move. Yes, your *** will go to sleep.

Use hevi shot and a turkey choke that you have patterned. Don’t take long shots despite the chokes ad telling you “good to 40 yards”. Head shots only and ideally I wait to the bird is turned to the side with its heading peaking up so I don’t blast the body. If the bird doesn’t die instantly I run up and stand on its neck instead of a second shot.

Clean and pluck the bird immediately for best taste. All you need is a normal sharp pocketknife. YouTube the process, takes like ten minutes and then toss it into a cooler with some frozen 2 liters instead of loose ice.

All this info is for spring. In the fall you drive around in a truck and when you see a turkey jump out and shoot it really fast before it runs away.
Old 06-21-2018, 6:34 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys. NATEWA mentioned the avian-x decoys. These things do look very realistic! Some of the other brands just look cheesy, like a bargain bin halloween decoration. Maybe after I blast my first one, I will save the feathers and stuff them onto a basketball to make my own decoy.
I picked up a 2 pack of Primos 'hook hunter' mouth calls but have not had a chance to play with them yet. I went with a mouth call for the 'hands free' aspect. They were around $20
I am going to wait on camo until bass pro has a sale. Me and a buddy are gonna go 1/2's on a blind.

Now... If I want to scout out other areas for potential hunt locations, what exactly do I look for?
Old 06-21-2018, 8:47 PM

Some great advice! I've never used decoys, just another thing to lug around for me. To scout I usually look for sign(scat, feather, etc), water and cover. Good luck you seem to have a good start.
Old 06-21-2018, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Try to find feathers, tracks and scat. Walk dusty/sandy trails, roads and river beds. The sign is pretty obvious if you do a quick google search of what to look for.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 06-21-2018 at 9:16 PM..
Old 06-21-2018, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

Binoculars is how we spotted them. Then go early in the morning and blow some non turkey calls. This video recommends turkey calls to locate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7NnVWv6Y5G4
Old 06-23-2018, 4:31 PM

Right on guys, thank you!
I am in south SF bay area and there is not much public land available for hunting nearby. Looks like I will have to drive a few hours in any direction to get to public hunt area. Our freinds property is also about a 2 hr drive.

I had my eye on Little Panoche reservoir wildlife area. I have been through that area before, seems pretty hot and desolate. Has anyone hunted turkey in that area?
Old 06-23-2018, 5:21 PM
CGSSA Associate

Stay away from primos calls their junk but their decoys are good & cheap.

Hunters must think like the game they are hunting. This will be your biggest hurdle.

Knight & Hale
Woodland turkey calls

Box first then slate then after 100 mouth calls you'll figure them out.

When you practice listen to live turkeys not human callers. Tree top turkey is good

Camo everything to improve your odds.

Good luck
Old 06-23-2018, 5:40 PM
CGSSA Associate

Watch turkey hunting vids by primos their not as boring as some of the others and every once and awhile they teach an old guy something new.