Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-01-2014, 10:47 AM

thanks, thats what i needed to know about waders...will register with dhc and see if someone has used kids waders

looking at the Flambeau Storm Front standard mallards and Greenhead Gear oversized shovelers...or do you suggest something different to start with, thinking about a puddler pack also instead of 6 spoonys

i found a good jerk line setup i want to try just need to know how many to put on the jerk line with a total of a dozen decoys to work with

have a lab pup that wont be ready till next year
Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adchrome View Post
thanks, thats what i needed to know about waders...will register with dhc and see if someone has used kids waders

looking at the Flambeau Storm Front standard mallards and Greenhead Gear oversized shovelers...or do you suggest something different to start with, thinking about a puddler pack also instead of 6 spoonys

i found a good jerk line setup i want to try just need to know how many to put on the jerk line with a total of a dozen decoys to work with

have a lab pup that wont be ready till next year
Those mallards will probably work fine and I like the spoony pack b/c 4 of them are drakes with lots of white. If I were you I would get the spoonies and not the puddler pack. That will give you 18 decoys and a good start.

With my setup just use one decoy and put it amongst your other decoys so the ripples of water make the other decoys bob up and down as well. It makes all of them look alive instead of, well, decoys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Awesome...thanks again
Old 12-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Adchrome and others - cyber monday pricing from rogers. Great place to get stuff from ime.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...cials.html?p=1
Quote:
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Updated with youtube videos of the proper sound of each species call in the section "Calls" in the main post.
Quote:
Old 12-02-2014, 7:27 PM

Lewdogg, thanks for the informative write up. Great job!
Old 12-05-2014, 9:05 PM

Thanks ordered decoys from Rodgers, how long of line should I set up my Texas rigs for San Jacinto. .
Old 12-06-2014, 5:45 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Adchrome - how many decoys are you taking?
Quote:
Old 12-06-2014, 8:33 AM

I bought a dozen..the 6 spoonys and 6 mallards

Last edited by adchrome; 12-06-2014 at 8:37 AM..
Old 12-06-2014, 9:25 PM

Lew- I found this link on the CA DFG waterfowl results page. It deals with duck/goose identification. Thought it might be a cool addition to this thread.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/duckdist/

www.jesseshunting.com Great stuff

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Anyone who Threatens it.
Old 12-07-2014, 5:02 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

3-4'.
Quote:
Old 12-08-2014, 1:17 PM

Just seeing this now....

Nicely done guys.

Great start up info for newbs
Originally Posted by Rusty_Buckhorn View Post
WTF are "illegal nationals"? Being that they aren't from here, wouldn't that make them "illegal internationals"?
We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".
But the acts of a few American "crazies" is enough to judge all Americans who own guns.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:11 AM

Im fairly new to duck hunting but one thing I wish Idid in the beginning was to have a Cart and Sled for my gear. Walking with a dozen +dekes, gun and backpack of gear can be a pain especially on some of these long sac blind locations. It can get any worse if you start adding Motion decoys. I also highly recommend using a Dry bag instead of backpack to stow your gear this way if you tip your sled in the marsh your stuff stays dry.

Alot of guys use game carts and a sled, I am currently using a Double baby jogger I bought on craigslist for $25 and a 2'x4' Jet sled about $60 heres a pic its pretty loaded down with my other buddy dekes and dog blind, but works well with my 2 dozen dekes, spinners and gearbag.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 AM

I only hope someday I can post some helpful information like this! I got drawn at Grey Lodge tomorrow, so it's time to take this information and apply it! Thanks for posting this!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:19 AM

How come when I'm out rowing or kayaking, or biking or hiking ducks will barely pay attention to me until I'm ALMOST close enough to grab one....

but to hunt them you need to go full bore super camo?
Old 12-18-2014, 6:20 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Duck id guide

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id?poe=fbdec18
Quote:
Old 12-20-2014, 5:33 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last American Hero View Post
How come when I'm out rowing or kayaking, or biking or hiking ducks will barely pay attention to me until I'm ALMOST close enough to grab one....

but to hunt them you need to go full bore super camo?
I had a friend in college who would see all the ducks and geese along highway 99 and didnt understand why duck hunting was hard because they were all right there next to the highway. Its the same as the deer in your local park that let people walk right up to them or even let people feed them. The reason is those animals have lost their fear of humans in those locations because they do not fear man as a predator or they know its a safe place to be.
Quote:
Old 12-20-2014, 9:54 AM

Can't get spoonies to respond to calling. Any tips on calling in spoonies?
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
We have the time and the hammers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown
Study and learn our history and law as it is -- not as you would like it to be.
Old 12-22-2014, 7:16 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Can't get spoonies to respond to calling. Any tips on calling in spoonies?
This is a tough one since there is so little info. Do you have success calling in other species? As far as spooney specific tips I have none because they decoy easier than anything out there. I mean like you are standing up in the blind and here they come locked in and they dump right into the decoys without cirlcing incessantly like big ducks do.

Oh for those reading this still if you are standing up in your blind and you see ducks locked up and coming in, just don't move and keep your face down. If you have camo on (if you don't then you need to stop shopping at REI and get serious lol) they won't see you and maybe not notice that the tall thing and work on it. If they bank away from the decoys so that they aren't looking at the decoys and you, you can then possibly duck down. However I've shot a lot of ducks standing up in the blind or even out of the blind crouched down. If you want ducks to come just get out of the blind to pee.
Quote:
Old 12-22-2014, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Small general tip from a guy that used to hunt ducks a long, long time ago......

If you wear glasses, consider contacts or at least disposable contacts just for duck hunting.

Nothing shouts STAY AWAY - DANGER!!! like those twin mirrors on your face catching the morning sun's rays and reflecting them back off into space.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 12-22-2014 at 2:58 PM..
Old 12-22-2014, 3:11 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Small general tip from a guy that used to hunt ducks a long, long time ago......

If you wear glasses, consider contacts or at least disposable contacts just for duck hunting.

Nothing shouts STAY AWAY - DANGER!!! like those twin mirrors on your face catching the morning sun's rays and reflecting them back off into space.
The way to combat that is wear a camo baseball style hat. I don't know why the beanie has become the envogue waterfowl hat, especially in rain. A baseball hat bill hides your eyes from above and allows you to peek up while somewhat concealing your face. Those beanies don't do anything in that regards. If your head is cold buy a warmer hat or wear a camo beanie over your hat. I (and thousands of other Michiganders) wore a beanie over a baseball hat all winter to keep warm.

The only exception is in ultra cold weather. I'm talking sub-freezing all day long where I have a heavy fleece balaclava which is great for sub-freezing weather and wind. Chances are if your hunting in California and not in NE Ca you will never experience those conditions.

Beanies are good for sitting next to the fire sipping a cocktail or just keeping your head warm when not hunting. I'm actually wearing one now but then again my hair is kept super short.
Quote:

Last edited by lewdogg21; 12-22-2014 at 3:19 PM..
Old 12-24-2014, 1:30 PM

Thanks again lewdogg for all your help, been waiting for a resi but 0 for dec and jan so far, so saturday im going to sweat it and hope to get on, Decoys texas rigged at 4ft, jerk rig with a drake spoony, and everything else i think i will need, could only find winchester super x 1550 fps 3inch #2 and they seemed to pattern well enough up to 40 with my mod choke, will let you know how it goes, going with another 1st timer that just got his dog back from training, should be Fun
Old 12-24-2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
This is a tough one since there is so little info. Do you have success calling in other species? As far as spooney specific tips I have none because they decoy easier than anything out there. I mean like you are standing up in the blind and here they come locked in and they dump right into the decoys without cirlcing incessantly like big ducks do.

Oh for those reading this still if you are standing up in your blind and you see ducks locked up and coming in, just don't move and keep your face down. If you have camo on (if you don't then you need to stop shopping at REI and get serious lol) they won't see you and maybe not notice that the tall thing and work on it. If they bank away from the decoys so that they aren't looking at the decoys and you, you can then possibly duck down. However I've shot a lot of ducks standing up in the blind or even out of the blind crouched down. If you want ducks to come just get out of the blind to pee.
Mallards & canvasbacks and others do respond to calling (even to the point of landing ~ 10 feet away). Generally I hunt the Alviso ponds and Guadalupe slough - mostly pass shooting. Fairly well hid in bushes and makeshift blinds but no decoys out. The spoonies seem pretty intent on getting back to the Sunnyvale water treatment ponds and generally fly fast, low and straight.

So far I've had decent response to calling from teal, mallards, canvasbacks, widgeon and ring necks.
Quote:
Old 12-24-2014, 4:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is a great thread but one thing is missing. No body has mentioned the super secret way to get birds on a bluebird day. By the time I was 12 I knew the most important thing to bring out to a blind was two packs of smokes. When the weather sucks and birds are flying, there isn't a reason to light a cig but, after hunting with my dad a few times I learned that when the sun comes out and the wind calms down, the birds stop moving around. It gets boring to just sit and look for birds so my dad would often light a cigarette and within a puff or two he would have to put it out because a single or a flock would be coming towards us.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 12-24-2014, 4:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

man I hate that when this happens. It happens a lot .

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:29 AM

This thread has been a huge asset. I'm still learning and learned a few more things yesterday at Gray Lodge. Applying all the info. from this thread 3 of us shot 17 ducks yesterday. Someday I hope to have enough knowledge to give back something!
Old 12-29-2014, 6:58 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Mallards & canvasbacks and others do respond to calling (even to the point of landing ~ 10 feet away). Generally I hunt the Alviso ponds and Guadalupe slough - mostly pass shooting. Fairly well hid in bushes and makeshift blinds but no decoys out. The spoonies seem pretty intent on getting back to the Sunnyvale water treatment ponds and generally fly fast, low and straight.

So far I've had decent response to calling from teal, mallards, canvasbacks, widgeon and ring necks.
From what I've read they all live or hang out at that pond. It's very difficult to make ducks consistently come to a spot that they don't want to be at especially with no decoys. Put out some decoys and you should get more opportunities.
Quote:
Old 12-29-2014, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbshooter View Post
Im fairly new to duck hunting but one thing I wish Idid in the beginning was to have a Cart and Sled for my gear. Walking with a dozen +dekes, gun and backpack of gear can be a pain especially on some of these long sac blind locations.
Alot of guys use game carts and a sled, I am currently using a Double baby jogger I bought on craigslist for $25 and a 2'x4' Jet sled about $60 heres a pic its pretty loaded down with my other buddy dekes and dog blind, but works well with my 2 dozen dekes, spinners and gearbag.
good info here...I got the last blind out of the sweatline on sat at sj and all that was left was an island blind, with backpack on and a dozen decoys strapped to me via texas rig, carrying my bucket and shotgun in the case, I had a heck of a time trying to get to my blind at 0 dark 30 trudging thru mud up to my shins, trying to keeping balance with all that and no hands free was no fun.... a floating decoy cart seems like a must for this as you could actually use the cart to help keep your balance.....long story short never made it to my blind and setup in the treeline across from my blind instead, put decoys out and waited for the horn to blow, lots of high fliers and never had a bird in range but it was still fun to get out....

thinking about this for a cart and trying again next sat, think this will work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (7.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

^^I can't say it wouldn't. The typical setup is a game cart with bagged decoys strapped to it or a sled strapped to the cart with all the gear in the sled. Once you hit the water you loosen the sled from the cart and then float all your crap out to wherever. I'll take a pic of my setup shortly and post it up. Not saying what you are looking at won't work for you, I don't have enough experience with carts and sleds to know more than what I've seen used and know works.
Quote:

Last edited by lewdogg21; 12-29-2014 at 2:39 PM..
Old 01-08-2015, 8:35 PM

**Question about waders**

I know they make the kind with built in boots, just socks, and open at the bottom. If you get the kind with no built in boots or just built in socks do you need to get a certain type of boot? Galoshes? How do you keep your feet dry?
Old 01-08-2015, 8:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have always used the boot foot waders. I also have started buying the ones with a WP zipper. It makes it easier to pee......and you never know when you might have to swing on a few as you finish up.
Old 01-08-2015, 8:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1 View Post
I have always used the boot foot waders. I also have started buying the ones with a WP zipper. It makes it easier to pee......and you never know when you might have to swing on a few as you finish up.
if birds come in while I'm pissing that has happened far too many times that I can count . that is why I have my shotgun near when I have to go.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-09-2015, 1:15 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Here's a quick tip video I made about how to get all the feathers off.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2015, 4:31 PM

Quote:
^^I can't say it wouldn't. The typical setup is a game cart with bagged decoys strapped to it or a sled strapped to the cart with all the gear in the sled. Once you hit the water you loosen the sled from the cart and then float all your crap out to wherever. I'll take a pic of my setup shortly and post it up. Not saying what you are looking at won't work for you, I don't have enough experience with carts and sleds to know more than what I've seen used and know works.
Another vote for the jetboat/sled plus cart. Even a slightly bigger cart/sled to hold blind construction materials, etc. Why carry stuff on your back when you can wheel it out over the levees then float out on the sled?

At some point around 20 decoys plus all the gear it is just too much to carry without a helper (even then it is tough) - cart/sled up and carry on!
Quote:
Old 01-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Updated cart picture. I streaked it with some flat dark brown and had a 1" piece of emt bent for an extended lever handle. Decoy bag has 2.5 dozen decoys for reference.
Quote:
Old 01-11-2015, 7:14 AM

Default Thanks for the information

I've been out several times and I wished I read this before hitting this road. Please add some more tips if possible. Love to hear them. One area, I am having issues is with my waders: leakage issues and keeping my foot inside the waders - solutions. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2015, 6:57 AM

Sheki, I am a total newb (3 duck hunts ever). But what helped with my waders are some straps. http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/8302...ws/reviews.htm

I couldn't find any to buy so I sewed a set up myself. Locks my foot in pretty well.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheki View Post
I've been out several times and I wished I read this before hitting this road. Please add some more tips if possible. Love to hear them. One area, I am having issues is with my waders: leakage issues and keeping my foot inside the waders - solutions. Thanks.
Couple things here. Waders can cause you to sweat so much you swear you have a leak. If you can test them in a pool for a few minutes and then take them off to see if there are any "wet areas" concentrated. You won't have walked around long enough to sweat any wet into them. Circle the wet area with a marker and then repair them with some aqua seal. to dry your waders out get a boot dryer or roll them down and shove newspaper into the boots. Replace the paper once it's wet with new, dry paper. Repeat until no more wetness. Few things are more miserable than putting on cold/wet waders when it's cold out.

If your feet are slipping out you must be at wister. lol. I dunno man. I guess the stockingfoot with lace up boots or boot foot with laces would help?
Quote:
Old 05-31-2015, 10:19 PM

I want to get in to some duck hunting this year never been can anybody give me any suggestion I don't want to join a club yet I'm in the Sacramento, Roseville area
Thanks
Old 06-05-2015, 9:11 AM

Consider a guided hunt very early in the season, or in late December or January. Rice blinds are OK, but natural ponds are much more fun to hunt in my opinion. It's great to see the marsh wake up if you haven't experienced that before.

A guided hunt will run $200-300, but you'll be ahead of the game money-wise if you don't already have decoys, a bag, calls, etc.

Pick up a wingsetter call from Big 5 and learn the different whistling duck calls. Do not buy a mallard call until you find some friends willing to teach you. They are difficult to learn to use effectively, and you will have much better success with the wingsetter.