Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinverted View Post
I'd like to improve my "glock the plates" times. Are there practice matches/places in SoCal for this? For now, I use 6 inch sticky hi-vis targets at the indoor range. I put 2-4 of them on a target and just shoot fast at the farthest distance the target will move back to.
What is your time right now? I, too, would like to improve my "Glock the Plates," and was wondering if anyone could share some tips...

That said, my current dilemma with the GSSF match is the "5 to Glock" - those 20-yd and 25-yd target really bite me in the b@ckside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
The Master all have " * " next to their name, so that will tell you is they're a Master shooting as a Master, or if their an Amateur shooting as a Master. A lot of times the competition as a Master is pretty tough, so they often go for broke (especially on the plates) as they know that's their best chance of winning.
Ah! That is what those "*" mean... Now it makes total sense...

Quote:
I shoot 6 guns in 7 divisions (but I'm a fan of .40 most people shoot 9mm):

Unlimited: G17 w/ RMR
Competition: G35
Master Stock: G22
Sub Compact: G27
Heavy Metal: G30
Major Sub Compact: G30
Pocket GLOCK: G42
Very insightful. Thanks for sharing your pistols of choice @RoundEye.

Quote:
I'm pretty happy if I can stay in the top 10 in every division that I shoot, but you really need to be top 4-5 (depending on how many Masters there are) to go home with a performance prize.
I'd be happy if I'm just in the top half of the divisions I shoot, and even happier if I'm NOT DFL. *LOL*

_

Last edited by rodralig; 05-22-2017 at 7:52 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 8:05 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Hi Guys,

Yes Addax Tactical is an Authorized Blue Label and Stocking "Perfection" Dealer.
We spoke to them last week regarding their website dealer locator not being up to date and they told us they will be updating the dealer locator page soon.

We will be expanding our product offerings and services around Glocks in the very near future.

AT
Old 05-19-2017, 8:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
You need to add Major Sub and Pocket Glock to your entries to increase your chances of random goodness!
Except the "Pocket Glocks" are nearly impossible to get in Calif as they are not on the roster. I've wanted one since they were released, but our stupid laws here prevent me from doing so!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 05-19-2017, 9:14 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Don't discount the G30, I won 2 of my guns in HM with the G30. I just switched to a G21 at the Reno match and did a bit better with it but I have been really struggling with my 30 lately. I think it is probably old age and arthritis setting in.

I also shoot 6 guns now in 7 divisions although I mostly use 9mm. I kind of use Comp as a warmup for Master Stock but sometimes end up shooting a better score in Comp. So much for that plan! LOL!

Unlimited: G34 w/ Carver Comp on a KKM barrel. Trigger and stipple job by TTI. Cmore coming soon!
Competition: G17
Master Stock: G17
Sub Compact: G26
Heavy Metal: G21
Major Sub Compact: G30
Pocket GLOCK: G42

As for the plates, all I can suggest if you don't have access to one is practice transitions and when you are shooting them don't watch the plates fall. Shoot and move to the next one then go back and pick up your misses. The real Masters can call their misses and do a fast followup hit in most cases but I am not anywhere on that level. I can usually run around 15 seconds for the 4 strings with the Unlimited gun but am usually in the high teens to low 20's with the others. I generally shoot much slower in Heavy Metal and PG.

As for the 25 yard targets, yeah, they are a PITA! I think they should be banned! LOL! Try and find a range with 25 yards like LAX, La Puente or Cerritos and practice there. Keep shooting, it all comes together with time and practice.

Scott
Old 05-19-2017, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Except the "Pocket Glocks" are nearly impossible to get in Calif as they are not on the roster. I've wanted one since they were released, but our stupid laws here prevent me from doing so!
I hear you there. And when you do find a PPPT one you have to pay out the a** for it. I got mine for $380 OTD with my GSSF discount and walked out the same day with it. Gawd I'm glad I moved to a free state!

If anyone would like to borrow my G42, or any others for that matter let me know and we can try and arrange something for the next match. I think everyone should experience the humiliation that 7 rounds on 6 plates can afford! LOL!

Scott
Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
...I think everyone should experience the humiliation that 7 rounds on 6 plates can afford! LOL!

Scott
LMAO!!!!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
I, too, would like to improve my "Glock the Plates," and was wondering if anyone could share some tips...

That said, my current dilemma with the GSSF match is the "5 to Glock" - those 20-yd and 25-yd target really bite me in the b@ckside!
What is your issue with the plates, are just missing, or are you hitting them all just not as fast as you would like?

When you're shooting at something like an 8" plate at 11yds for time, it really tests you fundamentals as you need to be able to break a shot as fast as you can and hit within 8". At an indoor range you could try starting at a load ready with a timer on random and when it beeps come up and break a shot on a target at 11yds and see where you end up. Continue to do that until you're consistently within those 8". This will help you on the first shot. After that, it's really transitions, and you can think of it like this break the shot, move your eyes, move your gun, break the shot, ... In most cases people aren't able to shoot any fast than you are, but that can see faster, and that takes some practice. There are also some dry fire drills that you can do that will help train your muscle memory for this.

Now you can try an land just the first shot, and memorize the intervals and just move your gun, but it will be hard to find consistency like this. Most others will see each target (almost like in slow motion) right when the shot breaks.

This could easily be you after a little bit of dedication, and the right kind of practice.

For 5 to GLOCK, @PM720 pretty much said it all. You need to have access to a range where you can put paper out at 25yds, and just practice it until you got it. At a distance it's truly a fundamentals thing, with probably the most important being trigger squeeze. Ben Stoeger also has a good drill called Accelerator that will train you to speed up and slow down when you need to during transitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addax View Post
Hi Guys,

Yes Addax Tactical is an Authorized Blue Label and Stocking "Perfection" Dealer.
We spoke to them last week regarding their website dealer locator not being up to date and they told us they will be updating the dealer locator page soon.

We will be expanding our product offerings and services around Glocks in the very near future.

AT
AWESOME!!! Addax is definitely the go to FFL if you're in teh SoCal / LA Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
There was a small window when the 42s at least could have been had via SSE, and I am still kicking myself for only buying the one.

Last edited by RoundEye; 05-19-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 12:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What is your time right now? I, too, would like to improve my "Glock the Plates," and was wondering if anyone could share some tips...

Ah! That is what those "*" mean... Now it makes total sense...

Very insightful. Thanks for sharing your pistols of choice @RoundEye.

I'd be happy if I'm just in the top half of the divisions I shoot, and even happier if I'm NOT DFL. *LOL*

_
I'm no pro, but I only compete against myself at GSSF. I look to improve upon my times as I continue. With that in mind I did drastically improve my plates time this last event. I used 9" paper plates at the local indoor range at 15 yards. That way psychologically the steel looked close at the GSSF. I still missed knocking down a few, but my eyes are getting old and I know I need glasses! It is the misses that kill you in the end, same with 5 to glock!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 05-22-2017, 4:23 PM

Thanks GSSF and Glock - Just got the certificate and info for the random pistol drawing. So very cool.
Now I just need to decide which one to pick!
Old 05-22-2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis9288 View Post
Thanks GSSF and Glock - Just got the certificate and info for the random pistol drawing. So very cool.
What Glocks do you have now? What is the intended purpose? The G17 is a great all around pistol.

Last edited by PM720; 05-22-2017 at 6:46 PM..
Old 05-22-2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
For GSSF the ultimate pistol (assuming you can afford to shoot it) is the G29 or G30 as you can shoot it in all of the division except Pocket GLOCK.

Old 05-22-2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
What Glocks do you have now? What is the intended purpose? The G17 is a great all around pistol.
I have the G19 (last year purchase with Blue Label) and the G22.
Thanks for the tip - I've been looking at the G17 to add to the group.
Old 05-22-2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
For GSSF the ultimate pistol (assuming you can afford to shoot it) is the G29 or G30 as you can shoot it in all of the division except Pocket GLOCK.

Just looked up the G29. 10MM in a subcompact! I may have a hard time holding on to that one. I'll have to try one out first.
Thanks for the tip.
And I'm due for another Blue Label purchase later in the year.
I am really looking forward to this.
Old 05-22-2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
This could easily be you after a little bit of dedication, and the right kind of practice.

It seems that you're not even AIMING!!!

Quote:

Dang! How do you grip those toys?

Last year, I chose the G19 over the G26, because it was TOO small for me...

Quote:
G34!!!

I, too, have the G22 (my first pistol), then the G19 (which I got September of last year, which I used to compete in April), then just a couple of weeks back, the G34 (which I used to compete in my first IDPA).

Dang! If only the G43 is available here in Komiefornia, I would have already gotten it...

_

Last edited by rodralig; 05-22-2017 at 7:51 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Hmm, you might want to consider the G30 then since you already have 2 guns that are suitable for Comp, AmCiv and Master Stock as well as Unlimited. Well, sorta? LOL! While the G30 CAN be shot in every division except PG where it really works well is Heavy Metal and Major Sub. And yes even Subcompact although you are at a little disadvantage there against the 9mm guns. But hey, it's all about the randoms right?

Scott
Old 05-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Just looked up the G29. 10MM in a subcompact! I may have a hard time holding on to that one. I'll have to try one out first.
Yep, 10mm is a tad on the expensive side (even if your reload), so if that's an issue you may want to consider the G30 (.45 ACP). I've shot some handloaded 10mm though that shot pretty damn soft (in fact, softer than I think you could get .45 ACP to get).

Quote:
It seems that you're not even AIMING!!!

Dang! How do you grip those toys?

Last year, I chose the G19 over the G26, because it was TOO small for me...
_
I wasn't kidding when I said everything seems to slow down when you shoot really fast, it's probably because you've just trained your brain to see faster. I assure you though that I saw the front sight lined up on every target during that string.

For the true sub-compacts like the G26/27/33, I use the Pearce Grip extensions to give my pinky a place to rest. The G29/30, are actually the size of a G19. Have you ever seen someone shoot a G42? They're so small that from far away it looks like they're just point their finger and plates are falling over.
Old 05-23-2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Yep, 10mm is a tad on the expensive side (even if your reload), so if that's an issue you may want to consider the G30 (.45 ACP). I've shot some handloaded 10mm though that shot pretty damn soft (in fact, softer than I think you could get .45 ACP to get).
Could you essentially use your .40 minor load in the 10mm case? Same bullets and primers right?

Scott
Old 05-23-2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Could you essentially use your .40 minor load in the 10mm case? Same bullets and primers right?

Scott
The 10mm case is longer, so if you use the exact same charge, it might not be enough to cycle the gun. It would probably be something close though...