Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 09-11-2017, 8:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Its never a bad idea to be armed enough to stop a threat!

Even on a trail in Sequoia Nation park that has signs posted against firearms and other assorted items.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Bookmark. Nice summary in Post 1 and 2. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2017, 5:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017...ictim-camping/
The Ghanaian migrant accused of raping a German student whilst threatening to kill her boyfriend if he intervened has branded his victim a “prostitute” in court.
Identified only as Eric X. in local media, the failed asylum seeker is accused of raping the 23-year-old victim in a meadow near Bonn, after slashing the camping couple’s tent with a machete and demanding their valuables.

Although we are NOT disarmed Europe its possible for this type crime to happen. Its especially more likely where the previous democrat admin brought in people who do not respect women!

This calgunner can only imagine the outcome if this "Immigrant" tried that in free state Arizona !

Last edited by ja308; 09-29-2017 at 5:16 AM..
Old 09-29-2017, 5:29 AM

Tagged
Old 10-18-2017, 5:58 PM

Mudcamper, or anyone who is interested in following this.

My understanding of the laws in NPs is that one could theoretically UOC a rifle/shotgun since it was not explicitly prohibited by 26350, only handguns.

Not much attention has been paid to AB7 since it had very limited scope, but now that AB7 has been signed it appears to remove the legality of carrying an unloaded long gun in National Parks by the prohibited language of 26400 (a) 2

SECTION 1. The heading of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
CHAPTER 7. Carrying an Unloaded Firearm That is not a Handgun
SEC. 2. The heading of Article 1 (commencing with Section 26400) of Chapter 7 of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
Article 1. Crime of Carrying an Unloaded Firearm that is not a Handgun
SEC. 3. Section 26400 of the Penal Code is amended to read:

26400. (a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in any of the following areas:

(1) An incorporated city or city and county.
(2) A public place or a public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county.
(b) (1) Except as specified in paragraph (2), a violation of this section is a misdemeanor.

Last edited by NickPro; 10-18-2017 at 6:01 PM..
Old 10-18-2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPro View Post
Mudcamper, or anyone who is interested in following this.

My understanding of the laws in NPs is that one could theoretically UOC a rifle/shotgun since it was not explicitly prohibited by 26350, only handguns.

Not much attention has been paid to AB7 since it had very limited scope, but now that AB7 has been signed it appears to remove the legality of carrying an unloaded long gun in National Parks by the prohibited language of 26400 (a) 2

SECTION 1. The heading of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
CHAPTER 7. Carrying an Unloaded Firearm That is not a Handgun
SEC. 2. The heading of Article 1 (commencing with Section 26400) of Chapter 7 of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
Article 1. Crime of Carrying an Unloaded Firearm that is not a Handgun
SEC. 3. Section 26400 of the Penal Code is amended to read:

26400. (a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in any of the following areas:

(1) An incorporated city or city and county.
(2) A public place or a public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county.
(b) (1) Except as specified in paragraph (2), a violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
What is "a public place"? Buildings, parks, forests, Federal lands (BLM, Army Corp of Engineers), camp grounds?
Old 10-18-2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
What is "a public place"? Buildings, parks, forests, Federal lands (BLM, Army Corp of Engineers), camp grounds?
I am not an expert, but in reading through this thread over a number of days in a method to try to make sense of it, it seems that UOC in NPs was banned by the "prohibited" language, and the newly signed bill adds long guns to that list.

Prohibited in that it is illegal to discharge a weapon. I was reading through this thread for the purposes of national parks. I believe there are places one can shoot on BLM and NF land, so this may not be relevant or change that. My post was meant to bring up the topic as ending a "loophole" for carrying long guns in national parks. Loophole isn't the right word though, I'd say pinhole is more apt.
Old 11-22-2017, 8:51 AM
Veteran Member

OK I haven't paid attention for a while, and only just found out that AB7 has become law.

So, open carry of unloaded long guns is now illegal in "prohibited areas" (areas where you cannot shoot).

One of the exceptions is a locked case. Odd. Because once it's in a case, it's concealed, not openly carried, so this law no longer applies, and therefore you do not need a locked case. Idiot legislators...

The exceptions do include licensed hunters while traveling to and from hunting expeditions, so get and keep your hunting license, and have some non-lead ammo with you, and be on the lookout for coyote...
Old 11-22-2017, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyedrider View Post
What a cluster f***!
Agreed.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
OK I haven't paid attention for a while, and only just found out that AB7 has become law.

So, open carry of unloaded long guns is now illegal in "prohibited areas" (areas where you cannot shoot).

One of the exceptions is a locked case. Odd. Because once it's in a case, it's concealed, not openly carried, so this law no longer applies, and therefore you do not need a locked case. Idiot legislators...

The exceptions do include licensed hunters while traveling to and from hunting expeditions, so get and keep your hunting license, and have some non-lead ammo with you, and be on the lookout for coyote...
Long guns are not weapons that are legally considered concealable firearms.
Old 11-30-2017, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
Long guns are not weapons that are legally considered concealable firearms.
Exactly. There is no law prohibiting concealing them. However, there now is a law making it illegal to carry them openly. It's absurd.
Old 12-03-2017, 6:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I think you have to dig through the codes for exceptions....
Quote:
26400. (a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in any of the following areas:...
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=7.&article=1.
Quote:
26405. Section 26400 does not apply to, or affect, the carrying of an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun in any of the following circumstances....
(ad) On publicly owned land, if the possession and use of an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land and the person carrying that firearm is in lawful possession of that firearm
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=7.&article=2.

Quibble over "specifically permitted", but shooting on BLM and NF is specifically permitted by the managing agencies and shooting, at sometime, requires the firearm to be unloaded and open carried.
Old 12-06-2017, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
I think you have to dig through the codes for exceptions....
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=7.&article=1.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=7.&article=2.

Quibble over "specifically permitted", but shooting on BLM and NF is specifically permitted by the managing agencies and shooting, at sometime, requires the firearm to be unloaded and open carried.
You are correct about that. My post regarding AB7 and Mudcamper's attention was related to carrying in National Parks. So while the NPs allow you to carry on the Federal Level, they grant permission with respect to state and local law. In the case of CA, that meant no carrying of handguns for some time (without valid CA CCW), but AB7 closed the option to UOC long guns.

My analysis is that while at first AB7 seemed incredibly narrow, and as a result didn't get any attention, it is true that it is incredibly narrow and doesn't apply to many people. However, it means that one can no longer UOC long guns in National Parks. Whether this was an actual "problem" or not, AB7 closes the "loophole," although I'm sure we would all agree that pinhole would be a more accurate term to describe it.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:33 AM

^^^

~Daddo~
Old 01-05-2018, 8:27 PM

Thank you MudCamper, and CalGuns. This site has been very educational for me.
I am hoping to do some backpacking in the national forest this year and it has been a while since I've been out there. Can I get a short answer on how I could carry a side arm. No CCW or hunting license. Can I LOC?
Old 01-06-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm144 View Post
Thank you MudCamper, and CalGuns. This site has been very educational for me.
I am hoping to do some backpacking in the national forest this year and it has been a while since I've been out there. Can I get a short answer on how I could carry a side arm. No CCW or hunting license. Can I LOC?
Read the first post. Follow where it says NF stuff (*2).
Old 01-09-2018, 12:03 PM

With all the information that has been discussed, I was approached with a simple question.
Am I allowed to fire my AR in the desert? I'm talking deep desert ie.Death Valley, Stoddart Wells, CA, etc. Be advised that there are NO structures involved. We will be completely "self-contained"...burms, sand dunes, open area with NO close civilization 'cept us.
We've been told "no" w/o examples of cited laws or regs. Can you or others "in-the-know" help us please?...Make it "simple".
Old 01-10-2018, 9:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Not in a National park or monument. National forests and BLM land are ok as long as Cal Fire didn't close it. Check the local offices for current conditions.
Old 01-26-2018, 9:36 AM

Default Foresthill Rock Quarry in January

I've been here during the summer, great place. Was wondering how the conditions are in January? Do the dirt roads get too rough because of snow?
Old 02-01-2018, 7:46 PM

Question.

I want to access an area of the NF or BLM for hunting. The road in crosses a portion of a State Recreation Area and vehicle access is blocked by locked gate. Walk in and biking in OK. Can I legally cross that portion of the State Recreation Area with my firearm on foot or mountain bike to gain access on the NF to hunt? If UOC is not permitted in these situations would some sort of cased carry be OK?
Old 02-11-2018, 3:18 PM

Reading Modesto municipal code, bold giving LTC exemption?

12-4.202 - General Regulations Governing Use of Parks.

(a) Except as otherwise authorized by law, it shall be unlawful and an infraction for any person, firm or corporation to do or cause or permit to be done any of the acts hereinafter specified within any park owned or operated by the City of Modesto.

(8) To carry, bring into or ignite, fire or otherwise set off any firearms, air guns, slingshots, firecrackers or fireworks in any park except those fireworks which are part of organized and permitted special events for which prior written permission to use fireworks has been obtained from the Director.
Old 05-28-2018, 8:46 PM

Hello everyone, OP, I read your post, I’ve also read on the cucamonga wilderness and on my national forest webpage. Yet, I’m still confused.

Here’s my scenario, my fiancé is a big on family, so when we go hiking she always brings her parents and niece and her biology major sister. Her sister is young, annoying, and quite big on animals. I love animals too, I’ve enjoyed seeing them from a distance during our hikes.

The times her sister comes along, if an animal is seen by her, she immediately starts calling it over. Ex. Racoons, Skunks, a group of coyotes (this one really pissed me off), and a bob cat (this is where I raised my voice and gave her a stern warning). You know, just pretty much asking for a bad time.

So I began researching into how I can carry my pistol without it being “concealed” or “loaded”, I recently spoke with the sheriff office that services the national forest I frequent the most.

Deputy X was very helpful in clearing somethings up, so he said I SHOULD be fine carrying my gun in my backpack’s main compartment with my pistol inside original box that it came in locked with a masters lock, and my magazines in a different compartment of my backpack ex. the outside pockets.

One thing Deputy X wasn’t completely cleared and neither has the USFS representatives nor California laws have been cleared on is “What considers a hiking trail, a popular trail?”

This is my question, how can one consider it a popular trail, especially on a weekday?

I used this as a rule of thumb on this previous hike. I have a Garmin handheld gps, and we hiked 2 1/2 miles of a 12 mile hike without encountering a single soul. Seeing how we were the only three people on the trail, I went to open my backpack, attached my drop leg holster, took my pistol out, placed the magazine in and holstered the gun without chambering a round. Place my x amount of loaded mags into my mag pouches that are on my belt and continued our hike. We went about our hike to the turn around point without encountering a single human being. We encountered a black bear that was about 75 yards away from us in the brush, that was gnarly.

On the way back we encountered a group of four people who seemed uneasy once they noticed it, but once I explained to them how we are allowed to UOC when hiking in the wilderness of the NF and I informed them about gun laws in the NF, they were more open about it. And I learned that there’s been shootings on deputies and tons of pot farms raids in this NF by organized crime individuals.

Anyways once we got back about a mile away from the start of the trail, I placed everything away and that was that.

Anyone here actually UOC during hikes and if so what was your rule of thumb to constitute if a trail is popular or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx_cee137 View Post
Hello everyone, OP, I read your post, I’ve also read on the cucamonga wilderness and on my national forest webpage. Yet, I’m still confused.

So I began researching into how I can carry my pistol without it being “concealed” or “loaded”, I recently spoke with the sheriff office that services the national forest I frequent the most.

Deputy X was very helpful in clearing somethings up, so he said I SHOULD be fine carrying my gun in my backpack’s main compartment with my pistol inside original box that it came in locked with a masters lock, and my magazines in a different compartment of my backpack ex. the outside pockets.

One thing Deputy X wasn’t completely cleared and neither has the USFS representatives nor California laws have been cleared on is “What considers a hiking trail, a popular trail?”

Anyone here actually UOC during hikes and if so what was your rule of thumb to constitute if a trail is popular or not?
Im curious since you said National Forest why would you need to UOC while hiking and did not just LOC unless your particular national forest designated the area you were hiking as a prohibited shooting area?
From post 1-
- LOC and UOC are legal everywhere except "prohibited areas" (areas where shooting is prohibited)
Shooting is prohibited within 150 yards of any residence, building, campsite, or developed site ("prohibited areas")
- Shooting is prohibited on or across roads or bodies of water ("prohibited areas")
Forest administrators have the authority to prohibit shooting in other areas of the NF but must clearly post this information ("prohibited areas")

Why you couldnt just LOC in your National Forest and what forest was it?

Last edited by ac398; 06-01-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I like to go solo back country backpacking in Anza Borrego Desert State Park a lot. Last week some psycho killed a guy sleeping in his tent in Malibu. Makes me feel like I should bring my p229 with me at least to keep in my tent when I am sleeping.

I believe I can transport it if it is locked and unloaded. In my tent, next to me, it must also be locked and unloaded, is this right? Pretty useless in an emergency if that is the case.
Old 06-27-2018, 5:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
I like to go solo back country backpacking in Anza Borrego Desert State Park a lot. Last week some psycho killed a guy sleeping in his tent in Malibu. Makes me feel like I should bring my p229 with me at least to keep in my tent when I am sleeping.

I believe I can transport it if it is locked and unloaded. In my tent, next to me, it must also be locked and unloaded, is this right? Pretty useless in an emergency if that is the case.
Just one more thing to charge the killer with, if they’re caught: https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Doc...ta=(sc.Default) 14 CCR 4313
Quote:
(c) Firearms not having a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, other unloaded weapons or devices such as traps, nets, and bows and arrows may be possessed within temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use
Whether uninstalled magazines are a, “...portion of the mechanism,” seems open to debate (one which the courts will probably find in favor of the government regulatory scheme.)

Last edited by Dvrjon; 06-27-2018 at 5:41 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 12:57 PM
CGN Contributor

Default CA CCW in NF in Nevada

I've read all the codes about LCC in NF and NP, but where I'm confused is does my CA CCW apply in a NF located in Nevada, or am I limited to carry just in my campsite? I'm not fishing or hunting, just camping a couple of days with my family.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post

Hello man, sorry for the late response to your post. So state parks are very different. Most state parks, that I’ve been to, follow CA law and in regards to keeping it in your tent you can, it’s considered your “residence” even though it is temporary. I recently took mine to the San Bernardino NF and kept it in my tent. While heading out to a 8 mile round trip hike I took it and kept it holstered without a mag in it, so if you head into the NF practice loading up quick. I did so using the dummy rounds you buy at turners or any other gun store.

Also allowed me to add that once I was about a good 1/4 mile away from the campsite and any other residence I took out my pistol from its case that’s locked, from the main compartment of my locked backpack and then attached my holster and 4 extra mags to my rig prior to holstering the gun. Safe travels.

Old 08-03-2018, 3:35 PM

So, since everyone is in a mixture of what to do. I recently asked questions and was left with my own research project.

To clear things up I contacted the Rangers at the San Bernardino national Forest. I had to speak with the captain of the Rangers name Dan brio from there we spoke about how I could carry my pistol without getting into any trouble. He stated, that as long as I was 150 yards away from any occupied structures, away from a city and away from campsites I would be okay with carrying it and that it had to be unloaded. Now he did say that this would not guaranteed that I wouldn’t be reported by fellow hikers using the same trail, he did advise me to use commonsense and comply with both Rangers and law-enforcement that might be responding to the report. I did do just that and everything went well. Most of the trails we used were lonely and we never ran into another living soul. That could also be accredited to the fact that when we went hiking and camped was during the weekend The Valley fire started.

Flash forward to this week we went hiking up in the Angeles National Forest in mount baldy. We got there around 6AM and headed out towards Mount Timber. We walked passed all the cabins with my rig attached and didn’t add the magazines or pistol until we reached the fork between the ice cabin and champman trail. After that we continued our hike and as we rested midway my fiancé and I sat down and began eating our breakfast that we had made, within a span of ten minutes, a group of 5 hikers came around and saw us eating. We’re very nice humble people, of course we say hi and all that when encountering others on trails.

So these hikers are young adults 20-25, straight up REI consumers. Everything says hipster/hippie about them. The ones that believe there’s no danger in the forest and certainly believe that they can fend off mountain lions and bears by doing what the brochure says. And sure enough they’re just dogging the crap out of my rig, so in order to deescalate the situation I asked, “do you have questions about my rig?” At first they didn’t know how to respond, but curiosity kills the cat. They began asking me questions at the same time they’re somewhat trying to hold back their anti gun rhetorics. Asking me “why do you feel that you need a gun while hiking?”

So first off, I work at an ER Trauma center, in a city within the IE region, so I see a lot of things that come through our triage and our ambulance doors. I also deal with a lot of 5150’s and 4011.6 patients. I know how to deescalate situations pretty well while remaining professional and courteous. So I began explaining to them about how a house cat can ruin someone’s life, the physical harm they cause and the bacterial infections that can follow due to being attacked by one. Then I tell them now imagine a bigger cat that has way more its strength and it’s biting power is strong enough to kill a deer. They noticed my bear spray and I told them that it’s my first line in defense against any creature threatening my fiancé’s or my safety. If that fails, the pistol is the next response to that threat.

We all spoke civilized about the issue for about 30mins. And I’m pretty sure they’re gonna pick up some bear mace and place them up front in their defense line than those whimsy spec ops pocket knives two of them were carrying. Not going to lie, I was expecting either the rangers or LEO to be looking for me or waiting for me at the trailhead parking lot, but thankfully that wasn’t the case.

Hike safely my friends.

Old 05-29-2019, 9:31 PM

How up to date is the information in this thread? I don't believe the first few posts have been updated in a while and alot has changed in CA.
I am going camping in El Dorado forest in July and I know I can LCC in the campsite legally. I plan on fishing, which while I"m in the process of doing so I can LCC as well. The problem is the transport from the campsite to the fishing spot, which won't be far since the campsite is near the lake. I assume I could put it in a locked container unloaded, then put that in my backpack till I get to my fishing spot.
I've been reading through this and just want to make sure the info in this site is not dated. I also plan on calling the forest office as well.
Got mah home def self def STFH close quarter blah blah humma Schumma herp a derp EMP EOW ready for Mad Max blah blah Red Dawn merca good2go hunker down bugout bag rock n roll preppd up for apocalypse Internet Walter Mitty cyber diahrrea gum flapping fantasy nonsense
Old 06-03-2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishfarmer View Post
How up to date is the information in this thread? I don't believe the first few posts have been updated in a while and alot has changed in CA.
I am going camping in El Dorado forest in July and I know I can LCC in the campsite legally. I plan on fishing, which while I"m in the process of doing so I can LCC as well. The problem is the transport from the campsite to the fishing spot, which won't be far since the campsite is near the lake. I assume I could put it in a locked container unloaded, then put that in my backpack till I get to my fishing spot.
I've been reading through this and just want to make sure the info in this site is not dated. I also plan on calling the forest office as well.
Good question. I'm generally curious too. I can tell you that I was on my property in El Dorado County, near Ice House Reservoir, and within 26 hours I a giant bear walked right through and then last night a mountain lion. First time I've ever seen a mountain lion in the wild and it was a full size beast. It ran off when it saw me but I wouldn't have wanted to encounter it without a gun around JUUUUUST in case. Fortunately I was on my own private property and had a gun nearby.
Old 06-03-2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishfarmer View Post
My understanding is that the thread info is still current. At least the Forest part that is relevant to your question.

Law allows you to carry loaded in your campsite. Also to and from your fishing expedition. The exception is can't be loaded in areas where it is prohibited to shoot. The most likely for you to mess this up is on a roadway. You would technically be required to unload. Other than that be mindful that you are not in an area where shooting is prohibited. (see first post.)

A short phone call to an El Dorado forest ranger should inform you to any prohibited areas.

One other tricky part would be the wilderness area. Target shooting is prohibited. But you can carry for emergency self defense as a fisherman (or hiker for that matter.) You can not discharge firearms in that area, but are still allowed to carry for self defensive purposes. I confirmed this with a local Ranger years ago.

Also worth noting. Wilderness area and wildlife refuge areas are very different.

I suggest you confirm all this for yourself with a call to the Rangers office. In my experience they have been nothing but helpful, everytime.

Be safe.
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." —Thomas Jefferson (1823)
Old 06-03-2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aK- View Post
My understanding is that the thread info is still current. At least the Forest part that is relevant to your question.

Law allows you to carry loaded in your campsite. Also to and from your fishing expedition. The exception is can't be loaded in areas where it is prohibited to shoot. The most likely for you to mess this up is on a roadway. You would technically be required to unload. Other than that be mindful that you are not in an area where shooting is prohibited. (see first post.)

A short phone call to an El Dorado forest ranger should inform you to any prohibited areas.

One other tricky part would be the wilderness area. Target shooting is prohibited. But you can carry for emergency self defense as a fisherman (or hiker for that matter.) You can not discharge firearms in that area, but are still allowed to carry for self defensive purposes. I confirmed this with a local Ranger years ago.

Also worth noting. Wilderness area and wildlife refuge areas are very different.
In case anyone else is wondering, I am in the very beginning of getting my CCW, which after that, this won't be such a problem. I hope to start the process next month, I'm saving my pennies right now.

I suggest you confirm all this for yourself with a call to the Rangers office. In my experience they have been nothing but helpful, everytime.

Be safe.
I'm glad you mentioned hiking as well because I hope to do some of that as well. I def don't want to leave it in the campsite cause there is nowhere to lock it up, same with my vehicle. So I have to keep it with me. I guess in that case I could ULCC it and be fine.
I def gotta call the Rangers Office this week and get a good warm fuzzy. I'm just having difficulty making sure I stay legal inbetween campsite and fishing, and when I go hiking.
Got mah home def self def STFH close quarter blah blah humma Schumma herp a derp EMP EOW ready for Mad Max blah blah Red Dawn merca good2go hunker down bugout bag rock n roll preppd up for apocalypse Internet Walter Mitty cyber diahrrea gum flapping fantasy nonsense
Old 06-04-2019, 3:47 AM

Well, if you are just hiking then you will have to open carry.

If you are fishing then you can conceal carry with your fishing license.

And again the load part will be determined by if you can legally shoot at that location.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:57 PM

According to the email response I got open carry is illegal as well. So it looks like I'll be ULCC if I'm not at the campsite or fishing. Below is the key parts I got from the pamphlet they sent me.

State Law Does Apply to National Forest Lands

"CAPC 25850: Open carry of a loaded firearm in public. It is illegal to carry a loaded firearm on one’s person or in a vehicle while in any public place, on any public street, or in any place where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm. (Note: does not apply to any person while hunting in an area where possession and hunting is otherwise lawful or while pracce shoong at target ranges (CAPC 26005, 2604
Old 01-01-2021, 10:47 AM

Does this expired forest order mean we can target shoot in los padres national forest now?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/lpnf/...ces/?aid=47543

Last edited by krypto99; 01-02-2021 at 2:02 PM..
Old 01-04-2021, 9:26 AM

looks like the can got kicked down the road for the next 6 months for target shooting in Los Padres.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd759574.pdf

Since we haven't been able to target shoot in Los Padres for years now I have a feeling soon they are going to make the ban permanent.

Last edited by krypto99; 01-04-2021 at 9:29 AM..
Old 01-11-2021, 5:29 PM

I emailed the forest service and they replied stating they are basically banning target shooting within Los Padres except for designated shooting sites which they are planning now and Ojai Valley/Winchester Canyon gun clubs. Funny how they keep pushing the public out of public land.
Old 01-11-2021, 6:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Why not get a hunting license, and pig tags (year round season) and go to forest areas where licensed hunting is allowed...it's not your fault the pigs don't live in areas you are hunting them in. Those darn pigs , made you hike around a lot looking for them.

CCR T14-353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.
(e) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.

A hunting license and wild pig tag are generally required to take wild pig in California.
General Season: Open all year.
Bag and Possession Limit: There is no daily bag or possession limit for wild pigs.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 01-11-2021 at 9:56 PM..
Old 01-12-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Why not get a hunting license, and pig tags (year round season) and go to forest areas where licensed hunting is allowed...it's not your fault the pigs don't live in areas you are hunting them in. Those darn pigs , made you hike around a lot looking for them.

CCR T14-353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.
(e) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.

A hunting license and wild pig tag are generally required to take wild pig in California.
General Season: Open all year.
Bag and Possession Limit: There is no daily bag or possession limit for wild pigs.
Sounds good until you realize solid copper hunting ammo that is required to hunt in this state is $2+ a round.
Old 01-13-2021, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Sounds good until you realize solid copper hunting ammo that is required to hunt in this state is $2+ a round.
I thought we were talking about being able to be armed while hiking./camping in National Forests. Copper hunting ammo will work fine on 2 legged critters. I have a few boxes of "copper defense ammo". If you want to plink that is a different matter altogether.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 03-04-2021 at 3:08 PM..