Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-09-2017, 4:23 PM

Smile Range Report - My 2nd GSSF...!!!!

Whoa!?! Been really busy at work and family... It has been what? 2-months since I've really posted anything of content...

Anyways, just a range report that the preliminary scores for the recent GSSF here in Burro has been released!
  • Amateur Civilian - 22nd out of 133 with a time of 110.03 (dang that 25-yd miss in "5 to Glock") ---> this is an improvement from 54th out of 129 last November's match
  • Competition - 31st out of 107 with a time of 101.72 ---> this was my FIRST time in this division

Am so happy! Now looking forward to winning a 'RANDOM' price. *LOL*

Here are the clips:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...sJLzcw3SJozfOu (playlist)

Glock M:

5 to Glock:

Glock the Plates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Yep. Look at the stage description. http://gssfonline.com/pdf/courses/GLOCKthePlates.pdf

Under stage procedure it says can't reload during course of fire, 11 rounds except for major sub then it's 7.

It took me a couple of GSSF matches to get dialed in and I imagine that's normal. With a G34 I've broken 50 seconds, and with a G30 I'm usually under 60 but I've done it four times and improved substantially each time.
Still not as good as you; but I think it is indeed DOABLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
There are no such things as "flyers", only misses.

Congrats on getting out there.
This is my second official match, and more to your point that it is better to shoot with the G19 (rather than the G22). Albeit, the 40S&W recoil in the G22 teaches a lot. I've set it up with an NY1 trigger with a 'minus' connector, and it will still be my 'practice' pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
There you go.

Nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt View Post
coming along! keep practicing and enjoying shooting.
Thanks for all the encouragement!!

Going forward, would be more serious with either IDPA or USPSA...

Cheers!

_
Old 04-09-2017, 4:27 PM

Congrats Al!

training pays off.
Old 04-09-2017, 6:20 PM

Nice job!! Strong work on Glock the Plates!
Old 04-09-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Congrats Al!

training pays off.
Thank you very much!

Yes, practice does pay off; as well, a good plan of attack. Compared to last November, I was now actually 'slowing' down for targets requirement more precision, ie., 15+ yards out!

But then, I also learn experienced something new - there were a couple of times with the G22 that a slight hesitancy caused me a second's worth of delay. This is obvious in the "Glock M" clips at 0:11 and at 0:31 - wherein I wasn't able to let out the trigger needed to reset the sear, and I got a 'dead' trigger! *ugh*

Yes, my current practice menu is 'trigger reset' so I can better improve my follow-ups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Nice job!! Strong work on Glock the Plates!
Hahaha! Thanks! I wish I knew how I did that... I was fresh off the plate, it being the FIRST string - and before I realized what was happening, it was over... As you can see - I was missing in the succeeding strings. *LOL*

My first time at "Glock the Plates" was last November, and my fastest was a 9.03.

_
Old 04-10-2017, 9:04 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Just a suggestion but on Glock M shoot all the targets either left to right or right to left, whichever you are comfortable with. You are losing time with those transitions. Paper, paper, steel, paper, paper. This will vary a bit depending on which setup they use (there are 7 different M setups I believe) but the basic premise is the same.

And nice work on those plates! Knocking on the teens there! Good luck and keep at it!

Scott
Old 04-10-2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Just a suggestion but on Glock M shoot all the targets either left to right or right to left, whichever you are comfortable with. You are losing time with those transitions. Paper, paper, steel, paper, paper. This will vary a bit depending on which setup they use (there are 7 different M setups I believe) but the basic premise is the same.

And nice work on those plates! Knocking on the teens there! Good luck and keep at it!

Scott
Thanks Scott... Yeah I just realized those upon reviewing the video footage. I'll work on that next (like I was working on NOT re-adjusting my grip, which was a fault in my first GSSF).

Quote:
For anyone interested here are my scores.

Comp- 73.41
Master Stock- 69.34
Unlimited- 69.80
Sub Compact- 110.50
Heavy Metal- 86.79
Major Sub- 66.51
Pocket Glock- 55.82

Hope to see everyone (and about 70 more?) in November!

Scott
On the other hand, how in the world that is humanly (*LOL*) possible to get those scores above? It is as if you're not aiming at all...

Competition at 73.41-sec?!? That is a full 30-seconds ahead of me... How!?!

Thanks in advanced!

_
Old 04-11-2017, 9:00 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

On the other hand, how in the world that is humanly (*LOL*) possible to get those scores above? It is as if you're not aiming at all...

Competition at 73.41-sec?!? That is a full 30-seconds ahead of me... How!?!

Thanks in advanced!

_[/QUOTE]

And I'm 30 seconds behind the fast guys! LOL!! It comes with time and practice. Just keep at it and the times will come down.

Did you get to see Logan Fowler shoot the plates?

Scott
Old 04-18-2017, 4:48 AM

Great job man! I shot my first ever match that Sunday! GSSF is so much fun! Honestly was super nervous but everyone was so nice and helpful. I came in 42nd in civilian (g17) and 24th in subcompact (g30). It definitely showed me what I need to work on. Now I'm excited for November!
Old 04-18-2017, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Did you get to see Logan Fowler shoot the plates?

Scott
*nod*

Talk about being INHUMAN...!!! *LOL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by God.Then.Guns View Post
Great job man! I shot my first ever match that Sunday! GSSF is so much fun! Honestly was super nervous but everyone was so nice and helpful. I came in 42nd in civilian (g17) and 24th in subcompact (g30). It definitely showed me what I need to work on. Now I'm excited for November!
Oh man! Yes GSSF is awesome!

I remember my first time - full of ANXIETY, what to do, what is the strategy, etc. I learned a LOT, too. I went straight for speed, instead of accuracy, and ended with lots of penalties. The second time around, I focused on accuracy. And what did I learn? Reviewing the videos, I see that I can shave more time during target transitions.

Though, I just HATE the "5 to Glock"...!!! *LOL* Particularly once it gets to the 20- and 25-yard range. At that distance, my Trijicon front sight dot is way bigger than the A/B-zone. Couple that with wobbling... Oh no! *ugh*

Too, is that I know a few other shooters that does practical shooting (IDPA, etc.) - and it is comforting that in GSSF, at least, I can match, beat or come close to their scores. Hehehe!!! Score that for novice shooter (just started in May of last year). Yeah! "GSSF - the Great Equalizer."

_
Old 04-18-2017, 8:26 PM

That's what I did!! I had 3 MIKES! November I will def try to keep things in the
A zone lol

And I got into firearms January 1, 2016! I wish I woulda started 15 years ago!
Old 05-19-2017, 3:54 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Looking good, and I'm glad you had a good time. See you in November!