Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-04-2017, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
They used the Nuclear Option to eliminate the need for 60 on Appellate Justices... If the Republicans invoke the Nuclear Option for SCOTUS, the dems have nobody to blame but themselves.
Schumer and Durbin are doing a fine job of carrying on the obstructionist legacy of Gephardt and Daschle, using up so much oxygen that the public believes that they are actually in charge.
Something else to consider. Once crossed, when and on who is the "60 for cloture requirement discarded" most likely to be next applied? That candidate would seem to be Justice Ginsburg and as likely, with Trump as President. Further, while Trump hasn't been winning and influencing, the Democrats have more seats up in 2018 than the Republicans. So the prospect of controlling the Senate if Ginsburg goes is dicey.

Schumer should hope for a few Democrats to "defect" on cloture.
Old 04-04-2017, 3:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump1 View Post
It's completely absurd to think that Feinstein and Harris would support Gorsuch.

Harris, yes. Feinstein, I'm not so sure. She's senior to Schumer and is leaving so won't face any consequences. If Schumer is looking for a way to avoid filibuster and take no blame for failing to "rally the troops" Feinstein voting "yes" on cloture provides it. She gets to be statemanlike, Schumer gets to say "what, I'm supposed to tell this yenta what to do .....?"
Old 04-04-2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Something else to consider. Once crossed, when and on who is the "60 for cloture requirement discarded" most likely to be next applied? That candidate would seem to be Justice Ginsburg and as likely, with Trump as President. Further, while Trump hasn't been winning and influencing, the Democrats have more seats up in 2018 than the Republicans. So the prospect of controlling the Senate if Ginsburg goes is dicey.

Schumer should hope for a few Democrats to "defect" on cloture.
Its actually more likely that Kennedy retires. Rumors have been swirling over the past couple months. Kennedy didnt teach summer classes in Salzburg last year. He is also holding the gathering of his former clerks one year early(these have traditionally been used for retirement announcements), and Kennedy did not hire a new law clerk this year. Throw in the fact Kennedy has his legacy with Obergfell decision and Gorsuch was Trump's nominee(Kennedy's well liked former law clerk), the writing is on the wall.

Last edited by kuug; 04-04-2017 at 5:18 PM.. Reason: Order of words
Old 04-04-2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuug View Post
Its actually more likely that Kennedy retires. Rumors have been swirling over the past couple months. Kennedy didnt teach summer classes in Salzburg last year. He is also holding the gathering of his former clerks one year early(these have traditionally been used for retirement announcements), and Kennedy did not hire a new law clerk this year. Throw in the fact Kennedy has his legacy with Obergfell decision and Gorsuch was Trump's nominee(Kennedy's well liked former law clerk), the writing is on the wall.
Are you certain about that? References?

This article, from way back in early January, claims otherwise:

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/01/supre...-turn-to-2018/

Supreme Court Clerk Hiring Watch: October Term 2017 Is Done; Let’s Turn To 2018
Don't count on any justice retiring before the end of next Term.

Excerpt:

But don’t count on anyone retiring from the Court this Term or next (various rumors notwithstanding). All nine justices have hired four law clerks apiece for October Term 2017, which is a good sign that they’re planning on sticking around, at least through the end of OT 2017 in June 2018. As we’ve explained before, “Retired justices get just one clerk each while active justices get four, and justices with retirement on their minds typically hire just one clerk until they’re sure they’ll be sticking around.”

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy was the last to hire up, and the final clerk hired by AMK was Geoff Shaw (Yale 2016 / Reinhardt).
Old 04-06-2017, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuug View Post
Its actually more likely that Kennedy retires.
No, it's not. surfgeorge has it right. There were some questions because of a couple of behavioral departures from the norm, but a direct phone call to Kennedy's office put all that to bed.
Old 04-10-2017, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Another 7 days and 4 more co-sponsors (185).
Another 7 days and 2 more co-sponsors: 187

"If you're a Muslim, you slaughter Infidels: it's what you do."

Moderate Muslims will hold you down so the Radicals can cut your head off.

215+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 04-11-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:

How many co-sponsors needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10RoundDump View Post

None.

What it needs is to pass committee, be brought for a full house vote, then pass the house.

Co-sponsors is a messaging thing. It might marginally increase pressure to bring a vote.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10RoundDump View Post

Technically zero, but you need 218 congressman to vote for a bill to pass simple majority rules.
Old 04-15-2017, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Default FOX: "Trump To Be First President Since Reagan [in '83] to Address NRA Forum"

Anyone wanna bet whether Trump will use the occasion to call for National Reciprocity legislation?

Quote:
The National Rifle Association announced that President Trump will speak at the organization's annual leadership forum

The NRA's Institute for Legislative Action's executive director Chris Cox made the announcement on Twitter on Friday.

The president is scheduled to appear at the conference on April 28 in Atlanta, Ga.

Trump was endorsed by the NRA during the presidential election and was praised for his repeated defense of the right to bear arms.

He will be the first sitting president since Ronald Reagan to address the convention.
More at:
http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/04/1...anta-cruz-west

Last edited by Paladin; 04-15-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Old 04-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Good National Reciprocity legislation that includes all law-abiding Americans is the only way. This needs to come up for a vote right after the recess is over.

Even if Peruta is heard by SCOTUS, the chance of a favorable ruling is slim, even with Gorsuch.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

National Shalll-Issue CCW, handled by the FBI and it's centralized database.
Do it under the "Real-ID Act" then move to a national driver's license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:02 PM

I read elsewhere here, in another thread, that we have some of our legal experts actually working to tighten the language of H.R. 38 to legally strengthen it against possible CA (and other anti-gun states) counterattacks via 'nuisance laws', and others, to prohibit handguns being carried in a wide range of places and effectively nullify the nationwide reciprocity benefit.

Any status update on that work? Are you guys regularly meeting with Congressional reps and co-sponsors who are working this for congressman Hudson? I'm very interested in this and how things are progressing on that front and less on all of us (me included) 'guessing' on how National Reciprocity is or ought to go and play out.

Happy Easter everyone...

President of Front Sight, Life Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member

"When seconds count, the police will be there in a few minutes."
Old 04-15-2017, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
I read elsewhere here, in another thread, that we have some of our legal experts actually working to tighten the language of H.R. 38 to legally strengthen it against possible CA (and other anti-gun states) counterattacks via 'nuisance laws', and others, to prohibit handguns being carried in a wide range of places and effectively nullify the nationwide reciprocity benefit.

Any status update on that work? Are you guys regularly meeting with Congressional reps and co-sponsors who are working this for congressman Hudson? I'm very interested in this and how things are progressing on that front and less on all of us (me included) 'guessing' on how National Reciprocity is or ought to go and play out.
But no specifics, please. We don't want to tip our hand to the antis.

Just give us an idea of how things are going, when you expect the bill to get moving and even there, just a rough idea, like the season: this summer? fall? winter? next spring?

Old 04-15-2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Even if Peruta is heard by SCOTUS, the chance of a favorable ruling is slim, even with Gorsuch.
I beg to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
National Shalll-Issue CCW, handled by the FBI and it's centralized database.
Do it under the "Real-ID Act" then move to a national driver's license.

"Liberty is rarely lost overnight. The wall of tyranny often begins with benign building blocks of safety -- each one lying on top of a predecessor -- eventually collectively constituting an impediment to the exercise of free choices by free people, often not even recognized until it is too late." - Judge Andrew P. Napolitano
Old 04-15-2017, 2:41 PM

What's with these people and their lawyer speak? Just write it in English.
DANG!!
Old 04-16-2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post

Happy Easter everyone...
So, status updates were the purview of the old "right people" where they advised people on progress with vague, very promising sounding words, "2 weeks", and lots of emojis and secrecy about what anyone could do besides $$.

This of course built up expectations massively, and when efforts failed, people who saw the opaque process opened enough to tell them their money was welcome, but input/help wasn't, led to failure, and eventual anger and turning on CGF as a vehicle of trust.

We welcome anyone who wants to contribute ideas, possible alternate lines of attack for us/that antis might use, etc. Feel free to post or message me or another member these ideas. Honestly, this is an organic effort, and outside ideas of lines of attack antis might use against us are more than welcome. Feel free to message me or other members of the team, or post here.

However, at this juncture while we haven't finalized on a forum posture, we certainly are NOT going to mirror the old CGF approach of status updates. I would WELCOME those who want to CONTRIBUTE- those ready to phone, email, get friends in other districts, help with targeting efforts, etc. any of that- I'd welcome advice, contributions, an eager "I'd like to help!"-

As far as updating on sausage making, legal drafting, and things like that? No updates on legalisms or anything that might possibly help the moles (Hi there!) who regularly troll calguns, and have subpoena powers, about the sensitive work the panel is doing. Chefs don't give status updates, and we aren't going to either.

Now, if anyone WOULD like to start another thread, or ask what they could do, or get added to a list of our effort to coincide with events- like Trump speaking at the NRA conference- I would welcome that and will FULLY contribute, update, and help.

If and when there's a role, or benefit on updates on the other things, I will let those interested know. But I'm not going to promise anything at this juncture that can't be imminently backed up and not destroy any credibility these green shoots may have.

So instead of telling you to sit on your butt and listen to things other people are doing or waiting for updates like an outdated piece of software, I want activists. I want people that will be a part of the solution, and not sit like a past his prime actor waiting for salvation from "right people" who announce things but otherwise keep everyone out of the process. The kitchen might be off limits, but we can certainly use help clearing the snow from the road and walk. And the ONLY way we're getting people in the door is by clearing that snow. And, to be honest, the faster the snow is cleared, the more pressure the cooks will feel and the faster they'll cook. But clearing the snow is the much more important part, and where the most labor is needed.
Old 04-20-2017, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowimpactuser View Post
And, to be honest, the faster the snow is cleared, the more pressure the cooks will feel and the faster they'll cook. But clearing the snow is the much more important part, and where the most labor is needed.
Well said.

Feel free to PM me if you've got ways to "help clear the snow" as I'd like to help.
Old 04-29-2017, 2:31 PM

Any updates on this bill
Old problems are like dry poop, if you let the dry poop sit it doesn't smell but the minute you decide to stir the poop with a stick, the smell comes back. Moral of the story, Don't bring up old problems!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Anyone wanna bet whether Trump will use the occasion to call for National Reciprocity legislation?
Well, I was wrong about that!

Tump only alluded to it via a nationwide right to self-defense and only in passing.

Quote:
Another 20 days and 2 more co-sponsors: 189

Last edited by Paladin; 04-30-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Old 05-08-2017, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Another 20 days and 2 more co-sponsors: 189
8 more days and 2 more (191 total) co-sponsors.

Here's an article where Chris Cox gives his take on Nat'l Recip.
http://freebeacon.com/issues/gun-rig...e-complacency/

Sounds like he's wants a vote, win or lose, before the 2018 midterm campaigns kick in so that the NRA-ILA knows clearly who's on our side and who's against us, so that we can replace covert antis (e.g., like Sen. Mark Warner (Dem), who voted for Nat'l Recip when it had no chance, but this year flipped against it now that it has a chance of passing).

Go Team NRA!

Last edited by Paladin; 05-09-2017 at 5:25 PM..
Old 05-16-2017, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs down

Quote:
A group of law enforcement leaders and gun control activists led by former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly are launching a lobbying effort Tuesday to oppose Congressional bills which would decrease federal regulation of silencers and nationalize concealed carry permitting. The coalition argues that the bills would make law enforcement less safe.

In a memo expected to be sent to the White House, Capitol Hill and activists during National Police Week, the Law Enforcement Coalition for Common Sense details its opposition to two Congressional bills and renews a call to close loopholes in the background check system.

“[Congress] needs to reject irresponsible calls to mandate the unrestricted concealed carry of firearms and allow free access to dangerous silencers, which present a new menacing threat to our communities and law enforcement professionals,” the memo says. “It is clear that guns in dangerous hands make law enforcement officers more vulnerable.”

The coalition of active and retired police chiefs, sheriffs and federal agents was put together by Americans for Responsible Solutions, the organization founded by Giffords, a victim of gun violence, and Kelly.

<snip>

Still, gun control proponents are concerned about a bill that would allow states to recognize concealed carry permits from all states nationwide. The coalition memo says the “Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act” would effectively undermine or make ineffective state laws with different or stricter guidelines for permits.

<snip>
More at:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-control-push

Old 05-17-2017, 3:59 PM

Funny that "Peoples Republic of" never is -- just like "Common Sense gun laws" never are.

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA instructor. Stop me before I join something else!
Old 05-19-2017, 2:53 PM
🇺🇸 jr .gov Man ⭐
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
8 more days and 2 more (191 total) co-sponsors.

Here's an article where Chris Cox gives his take on Nat'l Recip.
http://freebeacon.com/issues/gun-rig...e-complacency/

Sounds like he's wants a vote, win or lose, before the 2018 midterm campaigns kick in so that the NRA-ILA knows clearly who's on our side and who's against us, so that we can replace covert antis (e.g., like Sen. Mark Warner (Dem), who voted for Nat'l Recip when it had no chance, but this year flipped against it now that it has a chance of passing).

Go Team NRA!

Up to 193 and 36 with the Senate (S.446) bill. Both are still in their initial committees, however.

-------
Old 05-27-2017, 7:45 AM

Congress needs to get this thing up for vote before the recess. Peruta is going nowhere.