Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2018, 6:16 AM

Default M14-type/M1A configurations in CA?

Hello. I'ma gunsmith in Oregon. A CA resident is inquiring about having me build him a custom M14 style rifle.

Can someone point me to a guide that I can reference so I can tell him what options he has? I did sell someone a barreled action last year and I'm set up with the CA DOJ to ship rifles to CA.

I'll first have to sell him a stripped receiver or have him purchase a stripped receiver from Bula Defense or perhaps LRB Arms. Once he has that, he can send it to me to be built.

He's looking to have something like an M1A scout or bush model, probably with a wood stock, no pistol grip and no AR-type butt stocks.

Tony.
Old 01-09-2018, 7:13 AM

The big thing is no assault weapon features. They are a collapsible stock,thumbhole stock, pistol grip, forward vertical grip grenade or flare launcher and flash hider. So a walnut stock with a muzzle brake and none of the other offending features would be fine.
Old 01-09-2018, 7:25 AM
Veteran Member

TonyBen, holy ****! This guy's beloved in the M14 community. What's up Devil! As long as it looks like an M14 you and your customer are GTG. Gotta have a brake, any brake, just no GI flash hider.
Old 01-09-2018, 8:32 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBen View Post
Hello. I'ma gunsmith in Oregon. A CA resident is inquiring about having me build him a custom M14 style rifle.

Can someone point me to a guide that I can reference so I can tell him what options he has? I did sell someone a barreled action last year and I'm set up with the CA DOJ to ship rifles to CA.

I'll first have to sell him a stripped receiver or have him purchase a stripped receiver from Bula Defense or perhaps LRB Arms. Once he has that, he can send it to me to be built.

He's looking to have something like an M1A scout or bush model, probably with a wood stock, no pistol grip and no AR-type butt stocks.

Tony.
If the semi-auto centerfire rifle is being set up so that it does not have a fixed magazine (it uses detachable magazines), then it can not legally have any restricted features.
Restricted features being:
1. Pistol grip.
2. Thumbhole stock.
3. Folding/extending stock.
4. Grenade/flare launcher.
5. Flash Suppressor/hider.
6. Forward pistol grip.

If the semi-auto centerfire rifle is being set up with a fixed 10 or less round magazine, then it can legally have restricted features.
In order to be considered a fixed magazine, the magazine needs to be contained in the firearm and can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action or the magazine needs to be contained in the firearm and permanently attached to the firearm's magazine well.

Regardless on how the semi-auto centerfire rifle is set up, it must have a minimum barrel length of 16" and a minimum overall length of 30".
Overall length is measured with the firearm in the shortest possible firing configuration (stock folded/collapsed) and non-permanently attached muzzle devices removed.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-09-2018, 8:34 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome! Are there any restrictions on sending a stripped Bula M14 receiver?

Does the trigger group have to use a bullet button style mag latch or is it okay to have a standard mag latch? 10 round mags okay?

**Edit** Quiet just added info while I was typing.

Thanks again,
Tony.

Last edited by TonyBen; 01-09-2018 at 8:36 AM..
Old 01-09-2018, 8:35 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Are there any restrictions on sending a stripped Bula M14 receiver?
No.

Quote:
Does the trigger group have to use a bullet button style mag latch?
No.

Also, starting 01-01-2017, "bullet button" style magazine locks are no longer CA legal compliance devices.

Quote:
10 round mags okay?
Yes.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-09-2018, 8:39 AM

Thanks! You've been a great help!

Tony.
Old 01-09-2018, 8:48 AM

Tony, what's your thought on SEI receivers/rifles?
I've got a Crazy Horse and really like it.
Old 01-09-2018, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Tony, what's your thought on SEI receivers/rifles?
I've got a Crazy Horse and really like it.
I am personally happy that you have a rifle that you like. That's what really matters.

Mamma told me that if I ain't got nuthin nice to say, then don't say nuthin at all...

Tony.

Last edited by TonyBen; 01-09-2018 at 9:30 AM..
Old 01-09-2018, 1:03 PM

They can ask me I'll say. Welcome to the forum Tony.
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
(949)768-5189
www.ocarmory.com
Old 01-12-2018, 9:44 PM

Tony Ben ! Been watching all your vids lately man ! Just joined up over there at m14forum.