Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 77 8.08%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 645 67.68%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 21 2.20%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.72%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.31%
Don't want anything to do with them! 143 15.01%
Voters: 953. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2019, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Chatthai menu attached. Awesome Thai food in Pahrump.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70A57E81-90DC-493A-A0C0-728BADFA2208.jpg (19.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 572B5C74-0840-4F26-8A2D-7FBE014894DE.jpg (20.3 KB, 16 views)

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 12-04-2019, 8:20 PM

10 million?
Wow.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 AM

I will be going to FS in a couple of weeks and staying in Las Vegas. I usually purchase at Target Sports USA and have it shipped to me, but they are out of stock. Where in Las Vegas is the best place to purchase 9mm, 124 grain ammunition? I know I can get ammo at Bass Pro shops, but their prices aren't that good and neither is the ammo at FS. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boswell View Post
I will be going to FS in a couple of weeks and staying in Las Vegas. I usually purchase at Target Sports USA and have it shipped to me, but they are out of stock. Where in Las Vegas is the best place to purchase 9mm, 124 grain ammunition? I know I can get ammo at Bass Pro shops, but their prices aren't that good and neither is the ammo at FS. Thanks in advance for your help.
Try ammosupplywarehouse.com. It's a ammo retailer in pahrump, very competitive prices. Your situation may be different, but i've had them ship to me in CA, drop off at a pahrump local hotel/ motel (check with them first), and pickup at their location.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Another for ASW. Hotel delivery or they are just a few minutes from the Parumph hotels.
Just make sure you schedule a pick up time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 12-05-2019, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Another for ASW. Good folks and good pricing b
Old 12-05-2019, 5:54 PM

Ammo supply warehouse is great. I always enjoy the writing / drawings on the packages
Old 12-05-2019, 9:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Default 100% DG rate in Rifle Marksmanship today

So today marks the first time ever in Front Sight’s history that a class had a 100% distinguished graduate rate. To be fair, it was a very small class, only two people LOL. I and Joe H., a retired Las Vegas cop, were the only ones enrolled in Wednesday’s Rifle Marksmanship Skill Builder class. Because it had been predicted that it was going to rain dogs and cats, I suspect a lot of people had canceled out. So it was two students to two instructors ratio!

The day started in the low 40’s on Wednesday and drizzled rain as soon as class started. It really poured after 11 am. It made for a miserable day as we had to go prone on the mud, constantly reminding me to Embrace The Suck. Those of you who are familiar with Rifle range 1, now known as Range 13, you remember how fine that dust was and the gravel top layer was just buried in it. Well, that stuff turns into thick mud that becomes a sticky clay the next day. The instructors took mercy upon us and allowed us to use shooting mats. My daughters yoga mat was a life saver!

Imagine shooting from 200 - 350 yards in the rain with your scope all fogged up and water dripping from the bill of your hat. No sun means no mirage to give you any idea of wind speed. They had flags along the range to give you some indication of wind, but they were so wet, they barely fluttered in the wind.

The great thing about having bad weather was that it kept all but the diehards at home. We both shot well from the get go and with such a small class, we moved through the curriculum fast. The attention from the two instructors, Josh Skoog and Dennis McCarthy was awesome. They’re both Precision Rifle guys and know their stuff.

They showed us and allowed us to try two different shooting platforms. One is the Rifle Creedmoore, the other was one I didn’t catch the name of. It involved resting your rifle on the elbow of your weak hand while the weak hand grabs the sleeve of the firing hand. Anyone knows what this is called?

We easily shot way over the ammo requirement for the class. I used about 250 rounds altogether. Mind you we had only one relay and there was little downtime. I shot ADI .223 69gr SMK and these seem to group less well than the IMI 69gr SMK I had back in February.

It stopped raining on the day of the skills test, fortunately. The thick mud stayed, however, and made it difficult to walk between the shooting distances. As mud caked up on our boots, we each grew easily 1–2 inches taller by the end of the day.

As there were only two of us, we agreed we’d have the test twice. The first time, Joe, the other student, got -5 on his score barely missing DG and I scored -4, barely DGing by the skin of my teeth. We had been having some friendly competition going through class to see whose groups were smaller and that only made him try harder. On the second test iteration, he scored -4, but I scored-2 LOL.

We finished the course curriculum by 3:20pm and decided we’d have fun shooting up the rest of our ammo on steel targets on the berm from 400 yards. I recall the last time I took Rifle Marksmanship, Kevin Cress had us shoot these from 200. Well, we had no dope for 400, but with Dennis’s spotting, we were hitting the center gong and making head shots from 400.

So, now on to Precision Rifle ! My Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5 CM is arriving just in time.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Good deal. Dennis is a good dude and has really helped me work through some bad habits developed from Trap shooting. He is a very accomplished trap shooter. Always good to have him on the range.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:41 PM

Oh man, That is die hard for sure. Congrats on the DG! You earned it.
You are also probably the only person who DG'd twice in the same day.
Old 12-06-2019, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Couple of tips for the rain lovers among us:

> Big 5's snowboarding cargo pants keep the boys dry and happy.
> Hand warmers attached on the scope eyepiece by rubber band reduces lens fogging up from your breath. Anti fog spray could also help.
> Always have shooting glasses with clear lenses available. Sunglasses may look cool, but they don't see cool on dark overcast days.
> Don't keep your rifle in the case for long after shooting in the wet. Let all that moisture in the nooks and crannies escape.
> Gloves placed over the heater register back in the hotel dries up overnight.
> Do not forget to use sunscreen in the desert even during inclement weather. It's not the heat, it's the ultraviolet.
> Masking tape does not stick on moist targets. When the target is drenched they stick better just like pages of a wet book. Sharpies do not mark wet targets very well.
> Clean your magazines at night. Mud gets everywhere and the cartridges bring them into your rifle. Even if you don't drop your magazines, your muddy hands will get them dirty.

I wish I had an industrial mask on hand to redirect the moisture of my breath away from the scope. A snorkel would have worked too, but it would look ridiculous.

Old 12-06-2019, 9:26 AM

Speaking of all this rain, and I know it's been discussed before, when is the rainy/wet/cold time frame? Cold is also relative because I'm from the midwest, CA cold is much different than IN cold.

2020 is going to be a busy year but I'm trying to get out there twice. I just don't want to be out there in the rain and mud, that's a no bueno at my current skill level.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

The rain varies a lot, mostly December to February I guess, even then it’s very unpredictable. Most of the time it’s not enough to bother you, especially if you are doing basic handgun classes. Rifle and advanced handgun classes, and I assume shotgun too, would involve going kneeling, sitting or prone, that’s where the mud issues come to play. Most of the shorter ranges used for handgun are well gravelled over, but after heavy rains, these can look like tide pools, but at least they don’t look like mud lakes.

Bring a change of clothes and good attitude, or wear enough layers that you won’t get cold, and you’d be fine. If you can do well in the weather, imagine how you’d do in sunshine.

The only caveat is when you are bringing a significant other that you are trying to woo into the shooting sport. Do not bring her/him doing these weather conditions, lest their first impressions would be ruined forever...

Old 12-07-2019, 3:38 PM

How do y'all read this latest/thanksgiving week upgrade? Buy in at $50, receive 500 FS Patronage Points, then because you bought in Iggy will put in 10k points, and then he'll double the points on top of that? (500 + 10,000) * 2 = 21k points for $50?
Old 12-07-2019, 3:50 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
How do y'all read this latest/thanksgiving week upgrade? Buy in at $50, receive 500 FS Patronage Points, then because you bought in Iggy will put in 10k points, and then he'll double the points on top of that? (500 + 10,000) * 2 = 21k points for $50?
Thanks for the summary. My head still hurts trying to figure it all out.
Old 12-07-2019, 4:28 PM

I don't see anything at $50, only $297 and, I'm getting the fighting 5% emails.

Old 12-07-2019, 5:22 PM

Congratulations Beanz2 on the rifle DG!

Was out on the four day defensive pistol starting this past Monday through Thursday. Was surprised to see only about 173 check-in although 41 was for the one pistol class being held. I am jealous of the 2:2 instructor to student ratio.

The rain on Wednesday from 10:30AM to 1:30PM was torrential. I was glad to be shooting pistols in dry water proof boots and having to stand and not belly crawling in the puddles / streams / rivers with a rifle and a rubber ducky.

I would say about 40-50% of the pistol class was ill prepared for the rain and wouldn't you know it - Walmart was sold out of ponchos and rain suits. So the moral of the story is plan ahead, layer, and do consult the extended weather forcast. I did and my major concern was being too warm in the moist conditions.

I must say that the new ranges (we were on 36) are not graded and slopped for proper run-off. Not only was the range sloppy wet but the sitting area under the overhang was about 25-30% flooded. LOL.

PS - In the 5 days I was in Pahrump I received 10 Thanksgiving E-mails and 1 robo-call today!!!

ARFrog

Last edited by ARFrog; 12-08-2019 at 7:32 AM..
Old 12-07-2019, 6:01 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoWrench View Post
I don't see anything at $50, only $297 and, I'm getting the fighting 5% emails.
Www.frontsight.com/thanksgiving

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
So I converted my Magpul bipod to use a pair of Atlas spiked feet so they would grab better onto Front Sight’s gravel. Last May, during Rifle Marksmanship, my rubber bipod feet were useless on that surface as they’d slide away as I preload the bipod with my shoulder.

The problem is that my bipod legs now extend past the muzzle by a couple of inches with the spiked feet when they’re not deployed. Nowhere near where I’d worry about a bullet strike when fired folded, but I’m starting to worry if weapons inspection would fail the gun.

Anyone experienced or seen any weapon inspection issues with guns sporting bipods or maybe even bayonets like this? The feet are kind of fierce looking, imagine Madonna’s spiked bras made of solid aluminum.

Added a pic below.

Follow Up
The following was added after the class was over. Just adding my own experience related to the spike Atlas bipod feet.

First, weapons inspection at FS was no big deal. They see these all the time.

Second, they work awesomely great on FS range gravel/dust/mud surface. They grab the surface very firmly and you can put a lot of preload on the rifle. They are not kind and gentle, they poked bleeding holes in my skin when I'm clumsy and on the shooting mat when I rest it.

Third, take these off the rifle before you check in your weapons case at the airport. On their X ray machines, the bipod with these spikes attached must have looked very suspiciously like a grenade launcher. All the 7 years I've flown out of Las Vegas McCarran with guns, this was the only time Las Vegas TSA asked for the key to inspect it.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:27 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

PAHRUMP - Sunday evening rainfall in Pahrump Valley is causing some reported road issues in the valley, including a report through the National Weather Service of a temporary closure of Highway 160 near Roadrunner Road in the north part of the valley.

Flash Flood Warning for Southeastern Nye County including Pahrump for Sunday evening.

* Until 1015 PM PST.

* At 817 PM PST, trained weather spotters along with the Nye County Sheriff Office reported flash flooding over northwest portions of Pahrump. Highway 160 has been closed due to mud and debris over the road near Roadrunner Road. Flash flooding is already occurring.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include Pahrump and Sandy Valley.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the dangers of flooding.

Nye County Road Department is out in the field this evening.

Please be safe and use caution.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2019, 5:43 AM

So FS doesn't allow hand loads at all anymore? Dang, not even for Marksmanship or Precision?

Aside from the casual ammo check on day 1, how do they even know if someone switches over to hand loads?
Old 12-09-2019, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

They do allow hand loads for precision. Not for marksman. Ya they wouldn’t know until you have a double charge in a pistol and it goes kaboom.
Really it just isn’t that big of a deal to buy the ammo for their class. Their house their rules.
Old 12-09-2019, 7:42 AM

They’ve had multiple handguns go kaboom this year due to re-manufactured ammo. Buy only factory new ammo for FS
Old 12-09-2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Confirmed. I am now $21,000 richer in FS money.