Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:34 PM

Default For anyone shopping for a safe.... read this. KAYNINE

I need to tell you about my experience with Kaynine Safes in Fresno.

I had been fairly set on a Sturdy Safe with the "heavy metal package" and fire lining. Then on a whim I emailed Kaynine because a couple people at my range used them.

I was absolutely blown away at the value. I was able to get a safe made entirely out of 3/8" steel PLUS fire lining and a 3/16 inner steel liner for less money than a Sturdy with even the most basic security upgrades. In the end, I paid under $3k delivered for a 60x30x24 safe with over 1/2" of total steel on every side, besides it having 12 active locking bolts and being fully customizable.

I even emailed Sturdy to see if they might be able to price match the thickness and size like they claim on their website they will for other safe companies. They told me flat out they couldn't believe what I was getting for the price and couldn't match it (I can post a screenshot of this email).

Seriously, you'll be blown away by how accommodating they are. I got to pick custom paint color, hinge side, totally custom interior layout, etc for no extra charge. Got photos of the construction each step of the way and had it about 6-8 weeks after ordering.

Photos of the final product

https://imgur.com/Lk5cuoR

https://imgur.com/E2naBCT

https://imgur.com/WP4Olb1

I've told multiple people, I was prepared to spend a good chunk of change on a safe. Apart from spending 2-3x more on a Graffunder, I honestly believe this is the most secure thing I could have purchased.

I don't work for them, I don't know them personally and they don't know I'm posting this. I just really want to see an incredible company get more business.

Last edited by linuxjon; 11-26-2019 at 7:51 AM..
Old 11-26-2019, 6:52 AM

Can you resize these pictures? This post is unreadable.
Old 11-26-2019, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
Can you resize these pictures? This post is unreadable.
Sorry, used to forums that resize automatically. Changed to just include links to the photos.
Old 11-26-2019, 8:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good job, now you just have to fill it so you'll wish you'd gotten a bigger safe! lol
Old 11-26-2019, 8:39 AM

Very nice and thanks for the information! Any idea how heavy it is?
Old 11-26-2019, 8:51 AM

Anyone here ever modified your stock safes to bulk them up? I am going to change out the guts in the door of mine, All the bolts and angle iron that work the locking mechanism. It is pretty cheap materials, I will be using some heavy angle iron in place of the cheap stuff and actual round stock steel bolts welded to the irons to replace the cheap door bolts that are "Bolted" to the angle iron.

That's just for starters. I wan to add some plate steel all around, maybe 1/4 inch if I can get a good deal on the steel. All seams welded to one solid shell.

"If you are going to stir the shtpot, eventually you have to lick the spoon."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 11-26-2019 at 9:00 AM..
Old 11-26-2019, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwishin View Post
Very nice and thanks for the information! Any idea how heavy it is?
Thanks. I spoke to the actual builder and he estimates over 2000lbs. It was just under 1400 before the 3/16 liner was installed along with the interior finishing. They make a model in 1/4" instead of 3/8" if you need something light enough for stairs, etc.

Something I forgot to mention last night- they are able to construct this stuff in a way that's pretty unique. The body is bent from a single piece of 3/8" steel rather than being welded. They are part of a family owned business that actually does a ton of manufacture of industrial manufacturing equipment, so they have machinery way beyond whats needed for safe building.
Old 11-26-2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Anyone here ever modified your stock safes to bulk them up? I am going to change out the guts in the door of mine, All the bolts and angle iron that work the locking mechanism. It is pretty cheap materials, I will be using some heavy angle iron in place of the cheap stuff and actual round stock steel bolts welded to the irons to replace the cheap door bolts that are "Bolted" to the angle iron.

That's just for starters. I wan to add some plate steel all around, maybe 1/4 inch if I can get a good deal on the steel. All seams welded to one solid shell.
I've heard people talk about this, but it seems like way more work than it's worth. Just enough 1/4" steel for a full safe would be like 6-800lbs. You'd have to be flipping the safe all around to weld it... after it would then have some of that added weight. You'd have to make sure you reinforced the correct parts first so the added weight didn't warp the structure of the existing thinner steel. That's just the beginning of the issues I can see.

If I had a cheap liberty I might consider taking it apart and welding a few small strategic 3/16" stainless sheets. But if you want a full 1/4" body you're better off buying a new safe.
Old 11-27-2019, 4:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lots of $$$ for not a lot of space.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 11-27-2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Lots of $$$ for not a lot of space.
It's all in context. I didn't want something made out of 12g or even 7g steel that someone could saw through in 15 minutes when I'm at work. For the body thickness, it's about 30% less then a Sturdy would have cost and 70% less than a Graffunder would cost for the same size unit.

I don't like the idea of consolidating all my valuables into one place that only offers the illusion of security.
Old 11-27-2019, 7:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lots of safe makers out there... unless it has a rating, I would not count on the fire rating. 5/8” drywall is a fire barrier. Unless installed correctly and tested, it might not work as they designed it. UL is there for a reason

I love the front plate door and not some composition door that looks tough.

Looks like you got a good safe.

How many bolts hold it in place?

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-27-2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Lots of safe makers out there... unless it has a rating, I would not count on the fire rating. 5/8” drywall is a fire barrier. Unless installed correctly and tested, it might not work as they designed it. UL is there for a reason

I love the front plate door and not some composition door that looks tough.

Looks like you got a good safe.

How many bolts hold it in place?
I agree with you on the fire rating. Truth is, there isn't a long gun safe on the market I'm aware of with a true UL fire rating. They might use "UL rated material" and I don't place much stock in that. Luckily we have fire sprinklers and live near a station. I'm not *that* concerned with the fire rating aspect, and have the most sensitive stuff in an additional fire box.

4 bolts hold it down to the floor. 12 active bolts (4 on each side, 2 top and bottom) keep it shut.
Old 11-28-2019, 5:10 AM

Thanks for information. I am thinking getting a better safe next year. Q: Is the gap between the door and the safe is as tight as the Sturdy Safe?
thanks
Old 11-28-2019, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Anyone here ever modified your stock safes to bulk them up?
It's not about "bulk".. It's about limiting access by whatever means to increase difficulty.

My "secret treatment" to enhance the security of the typical "fire-resistant" safe is to remove the interior (as soon as I buy it). Then I cut panels of .063 non-tempered aluminum and attach it to the inner wall w/liquid nails. You'll need a belt sander to re-install the interior - but I'll tell you.. No one will be cutting in using an abrasive blade..
Old 11-28-2019, 5:35 AM

https://kayninesafes.com/

I own a Sturdy, and am very happy with it. Sturdy goes to a LOT of trouble to show exactly how their safes are made - I'd like to see this level of detail on K9's website. They do not, and neither does anybody else. The K9 may be even better than a Sturdy - but how do we know?
Sturdy DOES charge a ridiculous amount of money to simply change the paint color.
Old 11-28-2019, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Question

Tell me about that floor it's sitting on - and how it's anchored.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:09 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxjon View Post
I agree with you on the fire rating. Truth is, there isn't a long gun safe on the market I'm aware of with a true UL fire rating.
AMSEC has several models - example https://www.amsecusa.com/product/rf703620x6/
Old 11-28-2019, 6:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post

I own a Sturdy, and am very happy with it. Sturdy goes to a LOT of trouble to show exactly how their safes are made - I'd like to see this level of detail on K9's website. They do not, and neither does anybody else. The K9 may be even better than a Sturdy - but how do we know?
Sturdy DOES charge a ridiculous amount of money to simply change the paint color.
Thank you!

It can be extremely difficult buying safes because what is really important is what is under the paint and you can't see that. And it may be that these are security items so MFG's don't want to divulge too much about how the things are made but how in the hell are you supposed to figure out what you're buying and how the compare with the competition?

Fighter Pilot
Old 11-28-2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by romukom View Post
Thanks for information. I am thinking getting a better safe next year. Q: Is the gap between the door and the safe is as tight as the Sturdy Safe?
thanks
The gap is roughly the thickness of a coin edge. Sturdy MAY do a better job with the gap, but to me it's still acceptable. Nobody is going to succeed in a pry attack against a 3/8" door.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Tell me about that floor it's sitting on - and how it's anchored.
It's on a thin vinyl plank floor (I'd guess 1/8" thickness). Anchored with 4 bolts through the floor and into the foundation. If I'd done laminate, I would have cut a hole for the whole safe and sat it on the slab. But this acts as a moisture barrier and is so thin, I don't believe it creates a security issue.

Quote:
From what I'm reading, that's TL30 rated for UL theft rating. That IS very impressive in terms of security, no doubt. It is NOT UL tested for fire rating from what I can see on their website. Regardless... it's 4x the cost of the Kaynine at $12,000.

If we're in that stratosphere, Graffunder is the obvious choice. But 99% of people buy safes in the $1000-4000 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post

So, I agree, their website sucks. I actually told them this when I met them. What I CAN tell you is that they'll offer a full tour of their facility, including viewing finished and in-production safes, finished safes with the welding and linkage visible, etc to anyone interested in purchasing one. I was actually set on sturdy until I did this.

I totally understand why some people may still like sturdy better. Some of their models with the stainless reinforcements actually might be better options. But for this price, I can't imagine buying a 4g body Sturdy instead.
Old 11-29-2019, 6:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxjon View Post
It's on a thin vinyl plank floor (I'd guess 1/8" thickness). Anchored with 4 bolts through the floor and into the foundation. If I'd done laminate, I would have cut a hole for the whole safe and sat it on the slab. But this acts as a moisture barrier and is so thin, I don't believe it creates a security issue.
No basement? I don't see a lot of 'em around here bolted to a main floor. EVERYBODY sticks 'em in their basement (or more accurately, the wives MAKE us stick 'em in the basement ).
Old 12-01-2019, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
No basement? I don't see a lot of 'em around here bolted to a main floor. EVERYBODY sticks 'em in their basement (or more accurately, the wives MAKE us stick 'em in the basement ).
Basement? You sure you live in California brah?
Old 12-01-2019, 9:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Safes

my experience is that you'll outgrow your safe and eventually want a bigger one. I purchased this fort knox executive model a few years back from Dean"s safes. Very satisfied:
https://www.deansafe.com/collections...executive-6637915.jpg

916.jpg