Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM

Smile Pickup my Fresno City CCW Thursday...

Have my appt to pick up my CCW Thursday in the city of Fresno.

Process took several months. CCW dept was professional throughout the process.

squeaky clean record. Drive 50 miles each way to work, work off hours and drive through all parts of town at somewhat odd hours. I would say it was self-defense if I summed it all up.
Old 04-15-2014, 1:03 PM

Congrats. Fresno needs more armed law abiding civilians not thugs. I recently got mine with county. Any info on city process would be appreciated. Have friends in city limits considering their permit.
Old 04-15-2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowartm View Post

squeaky clean record. Drive 50 miles each way to work, work off hours and drive through all parts of town at somewhat odd hours. I would say it was self-defense if I summed it all up.
Welcome to the Fresno CCW ranks. Carry safe,carry often
Old 04-15-2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud_Dub View Post
Congrats. Fresno needs more armed law abiding civilians not thugs. I recently got mine with county. Any info on city process would be appreciated. Have friends in city limits considering their permit.
A couple of things maybe worth mentioning to differentiate City of Fresno from other places:

1. No psych exam
2. need at least 3 references that are not family or coworkers
Sent letters to references and did inform them what it was for. indicated on letter that if they felt I should not have a CCW they would not tell me the contents of the responses they get.
3. they visited my neighbors but did not tell them what it was for. Of course the neighbors asked me what was up. I did not tell them it was for a ccw. I also did not use neighbors as a reference. I really don't want neighbors to even know I have guns in the house and some might be anti-2A
4. They determine good cause first before having you come in for the livescan. 5. Wait to take CCW class until they determine you have good cause.

Everybody's good cause is unique but mine was heavy on protection of me and my family. I travel alone to work 50 miles each way and because it is so far I sometimes get home late and leave for work early.

As I said, the CCW dept was professional, kept me informed throughout the process regarding what was going to happen, and did not make me feel I was bothering them when I called in to check the status of my application.

Class at the Range in Fresno was $75, fingerprinting was $20, City of Fresno fee $100, DOJ Fee $95 - $290 + 100 rounds of ammo total to get it done.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 PM

Very cool, congrats you lucky bast.....hehehe.
Old 04-16-2014, 8:15 AM

Quote:
A couple of things maybe worth mentioning to differentiate City of Fresno from other places:

1. No psych exam
2. need at least 3 references that are not family or coworkers
Sent letters to references and did inform them what it was for. indicated on letter that if they felt I should not have a CCW they would not tell me the contents of the responses they get.
3. they visited my neighbors but did not tell them what it was for. Of course the neighbors asked me what was up. I did not tell them it was for a ccw. I also did not use neighbors as a reference. I really don't want neighbors to even know I have guns in the house and some might be anti-2A
4. They determine good cause first before having you come in for the livescan. 5. Wait to take CCW class until they determine you have good cause.

Everybody's good cause is unique but mine was heavy on protection of me and my family. I travel alone to work 50 miles each way and because it is so far I sometimes get home late and leave for work early.

As I said, the CCW dept was professional, kept me informed throughout the process regarding what was going to happen, and did not make me feel I was bothering them when I called in to check the status of my application.

Class at the Range in Fresno was $75, fingerprinting was $20, City of Fresno fee $100, DOJ Fee $95 - $290 + 100 rounds of ammo total to get it done.

How long was it from start to finish? I went through the SO because of items 2 and 3 you listed. Im still waiting for DOJ BG to come back.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 04-16-2014, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thayne View Post
How long was it from start to finish? I went through the SO because of items 2 and 3 you listed. Im still waiting for DOJ BG to come back.
about 12 weeks. I was prepared to wait a while for the DOJ BG but it came back in about 2 weeks.

Is it an option to go directly to the SO if you live in the city? If you can, I wonder if that is unique to Fresno or do other counties allow that...

That option might be attractive so some that think the references and neighbor visits are intrusive.
Old 04-16-2014, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Is it an option to go directly to the SO if you live in the city? If you can, I wonder if that is unique to Fresno or do other counties allow
LASD Sheriff required you to apply at your city first, and if denied you could apply at the county level. The Sheriff was sued and lost the case. Any IA which you may apply must consider your application and cannot make you go to another IA first.

https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/wp...4-decision.pdf

So, yes, you can always go to the county first to get licensed. If the county is easier or just as easy to get licensed at, you should clearly do that so that you can move to different cities with in the county and maintain your license.

Last edited by Jason95357; 04-18-2014 at 7:22 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 9:54 AM

Quote:
about 12 weeks. I was prepared to wait a while for the DOJ BG but it came back in about 2 weeks.

Is it an option to go directly to the SO if you live in the city? If you can, I wonder if that is unique to Fresno or do other counties allow that...

That option might be attractive so some that think the references and neighbor visits are intrusive.
You can go directly to SO. I did livescan on March 26 and still waiting
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
You can go directly to SO. I did livescan on March 26 and still waiting
I was a little worried when the person scanning my prints was having some trouble with the quality of the print but apparently it wasn't an issue.

You should be hearing something soon if it has been 3 weeks.

good luck!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I was a little worried when the person scanning my prints was having some trouble with the quality of the print but apparently it wasn't an issue.

You should be hearing something soon if it has been 3 weeks.

good luck!
Thanks, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! LOL
Old 04-16-2014, 1:05 PM

Quote:

I'll see ya there. My renewal appt is tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2014, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARC_Mike View Post
I'll see ya there. My renewal appt is tomorrow.
I'm not surprised they batch them up for the chief's signature. That's what they did for the good cause letters and other stuff.

I have to get it done before work so I'm going in at 6:30.

Congratulations!

By the way, I'm scrambling a little for my carry gun. I had to send back the slide from my nano (bad night sight) so now I'm going to carry the tomcat until I get a holster for my glock and the nano get's back.
Old 04-16-2014, 1:31 PM

I'm an early bird as well.

Every time I go in to get a new license when I change guns they are always able to get me in early!
Old 04-16-2014, 1:39 PM

Quote:
I'm an early bird as well.

Every time I go in to get a new license when I change guns they are always able to get me in early!
I'm going to hijack my own thread since I'm the OP....

I need to add my glock to my permit. The Range will "process" (whatever that means) it for me but what is the process to add a gun? I was going to ask Ray tomorrow - is there something I can do tonight to have ready for tomorrow morning?
Old 04-16-2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:

I need to add my glock to my permit. The Range will "process" (whatever that means) it for me but what is the process to add a gun? I was going to ask Ray tomorrow - is there something I can do tonight to have ready for tomorrow morning?
you have to go in a qualify with it. not sure if you need an appointment or not, but they charge $10 for it
Old 04-16-2014, 2:01 PM

Quote:

I've done this MANY times. If you are a member at the range its free for your cert. Then fax into the FPD CCW office the cert and DROS proving it is your (or your spouse's) gun and you will get a call once the new ltc is complete. Make an appt to pick it up with a 10 dollar MO and you are good to go. Easy process.
Old 04-16-2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
I've done this MANY times. If you are a member at the range its free for your cert. Then fax into the FPD CCW office the cert and DROS proving it is your (or your spouse's) gun and you will get a call once the new ltc is complete. Make an appt to pick it up with a 10 dollar MO and you are good to go. Easy process.
Thanks. I called the range and just need to make sure an instructor is there. Shoot 50 rounds at 7 yards.

Sorry for the noob question. Can I get a DROS for my gun myself or do I ask the range for that. Or am I supposed to have it in a file somewhere.... Is it available online?
Old 04-16-2014, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I called the range and just need to make sure an instructor is there. Shoot 50 rounds at 7 yards.

Sorry for the noob question. Can I get a DROS for my gun myself or do I ask the range for that. Or am I supposed to have it in a file somewhere.... Is it available online?
That's the dealer record of sale. You get a copy when you buy the gun. They probably assume you are adding a new gun and would have that. Not sure if its one you've had for a while.

You may be able to get a copy from the store you bought it from.
Old 04-16-2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
That's the dealer record of sale. You get a copy when you buy the gun. They probably assume you are adding a new gun and would have that. Not sure if its one you've had for a while.

You may be able to get a copy from the store you bought it from.
I ppt'd the gun within the last couple of months so I think I can dig up the paperwork for the ppt.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2014, 6:50 AM

Cowartm:
was that you I saw this AM? Shook hands with?
Old 04-17-2014, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Cowartm:
was that you I saw this AM? Shook hands with?
Yes, I noted the license plate after I left and thought it was probably you.

I asked Ed about changing out a gun - he said you are in all the time doing that... Too bad it's only 3 or I would just add but I want to replace my full size beretta 92 with a glock 30sf. He said it is no problem and no trouble.
Old 04-17-2014, 7:35 AM

Yeah, it took me a while before I was happy with my trio. I'm actually pretty set now. I wanted to love the EMP but it just wasn't comfortable for me and then I just kind of went on a rotation through my stash until I felt good about my selections for the different applications I would need. Believe it or not, when we shook hands I was carrying 2 of my 3. Now that you got it, carry often, get used to it and make your nacho run! I'm no old salt by any means but in my experience it didn't take long for it all to be second nature to me. When I took my annual Hawaiian vacation it felt so damn weird not having it.
Old 04-17-2014, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it took me a while before I was happy with my trio. I'm actually pretty set now. I wanted to love the EMP but it just wasn't comfortable for me and then I just kind of went on a rotation through my stash until I felt good about my selections for the different applications I would need. Believe it or not, when we shook hands I was carrying 2 of my 3. Now that you got it, carry often, get used to it and make your nacho run! I'm no old salt by any means but in my experience it didn't take long for it all to be second nature to me. When I took my annual Hawaiian vacation it felt so damn weird not having it.
PM'd you.