Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 8:32 PM

Default Where are my lady shooters???

ive read such lame threads on here...

Here's my challenge to you! ... What have you done in real life to promote shooting, less gun control, range safety, Firearms promotions, firearms organization promotions... i.e. Friends of the NRA events, NRA instruction events, CRPA events, Calguns foundation, CalFFL, 2nd Amendment Foundation, NRA memberships, volunteerism .... get out there.. get the word out, spread the news FIREARMS rule!... we don't have to piss and throw-up on ourselves, like liberals think, to not get raped... we have guns that will protect us and all of you others can too....

lets get up, spread the word, infect the people the notion that gun control is worthless in terms of reducing crime... get out there help .... talk... shout!!! get the message out! be proactive...

... : ) and be woman!

OCM!
Old 02-22-2013, 9:45 AM

Yah, we have been boring lately. Really, since Christmas time.

I'd like to talk more about CCW, keeping aware of your surroundings in parking lots and other risky situations, safety training for family members and the darned holster issue. I'm very interested in improving women's participation in CGN and CGSSA and shooting in general. And I need some help and ideas on that. If we don't push it, who will?

For myself, I'm a C3 in Sacramento. I run two monthly shoots for Calgunners in Sacramento, with my C3 colleagues and do bi-monthly C3 Open Meetings with my C3 colleagues, which are 'town meetings', to get the input of members on what they want to do for shoots, meets, events, range cleanups, etc. We like "transparent and participatory" here in Sac.

Now, for those who think I'm bragging madly, I'm retired and single and I have time and energy to do this stuff. I also do volunteer work teaching seniors how to use computers. (This is what happens when you're used to 60 hour weeks and then just up and retire. Loose energy flying around...)

Those of you who have jobs and families and zero time to volunteer, take a class or bring your daughters and sons to a shoot. Speak to other women you see at the range and encourage them. Everything you do counts.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 02-22-2013 at 1:58 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 2:36 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Face Book is such a time suck, I confess - lol

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 02-23-2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Yah, we have been boring lately. Really, since Christmas time.

I'd like to talk more about CCW, keeping aware of your surroundings in parking lots and other risky situations, safety training for family members and the darned holster issue. I'm very interested in improving women's participation in CGN and CGSSA and shooting in general. And I need some help and ideas on that. If we don't push it, who will?

For myself, I'm a C3 in Sacramento. I run two monthly shoots for Calgunners in Sacramento, with my C3 colleagues and do bi-monthly C3 Open Meetings with my C3 colleagues, which are 'town meetings', to get the input of members on what they want to do for shoots, meets, events, range cleanups, etc. We like "transparent and participatory" here in Sac.

Now, for those who think I'm bragging madly, I'm retired and single and I have time and energy to do this stuff. I also do volunteer work teaching seniors how to use computers. (This is what happens when you're used to 60 hour weeks and then just up and retire. Loose energy flying around...)

Those of you who have jobs and families and zero time to volunteer, take a class or bring your daughters and sons to a shoot. Speak to other women you see at the range and encourage them. Everything you do counts.
LOL I was so going to be snarky but then you ended up being nice and I love you even though you are single and retired.

I've been too wrapped up in tax season, home school, prepping alpacas for the upcoming show and freakin' out about the older boy leaving for South Carolina Ft. Jackson tomorrow. Yeah, he has live out of state since last May but this is different. I know he is probably more prepared for boot camp than many of the inductees but it still makes me pause....

I don't know anyone, man OR woman who can vomit and urinate on command and for my input, "Hello? Someone intent on rape is going to be turned off by that? Normal men are turned off by an uncooperative woman regardless of whether she has wet pants or vomit in her hair and have they not heard of fetishes? I prefer alive, unharmed, dry pants, clean clothes and a dead assailant Thank You very much!"

Oh wait, I forgot to answer what have I done to help. I have no daughters. Two sons, both who shoot firearms and archery and 5 nieces but I have taken every one of my older son's gf(current and ex's who we are all still close to) the range, helped picked out guns, start the CCW process and just try to de-mystify the "assault weapon" image. I must say, all of my "daughters" are very well versed in gun control and handling now. I do what I can and sometimes other women don't like it but I don't think they will like the ER rape kit procedure and tell them so when they say "Guns are dangerous, I'll run instead" Well "Good Night and Good Luck, hope you run like a cheetah and maybe you can tell your attacker that you abhor violence. I'm sure he/she will listen and leave you alone"

Last edited by Bugguts; 02-23-2013 at 2:43 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 6:27 AM

I got both of my sisters out to shoot at a range and later, my mother came with us. They had a great time and one sister plunked down money for a Glock 17, the other is still considering - though she did join he NRA! I've promoted guns/self-defense often on FB and got one neighbor (from India where guns are illegal) to take an NRA course with me. I think many women tend to impact and influence other women they know personally, probably not on a broader stage or spectrum. But it's working! Women gun ownership is at new highs! Keep it up, Ladies!

Last edited by Glock Girl in CA; 02-25-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 8:40 AM

Took the mother in law out to the range Friday for the first time. Taught her all basic gun safety before leaving the house, so she was well versed once we got to the range. She was intimated at first, but once she went through that first ten rounds, she relaxed a little and really started to enjoy herself. Now we are on the search for her own handgun, which isn't easy in this market.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A_Girl View Post
Took the mother in law out to the range Friday for the first time. Taught her all basic gun safety before leaving the house, so she was well versed once we got to the range. She was intimated at first, but once she went through that first ten rounds, she relaxed a little and really started to enjoy herself. Now we are on the search for her own handgun, which isn't easy in this market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Girl in CA View Post
I got both of my sisters out to shoot at a range and later, my mother came with us. They had a great time and one sister plunked down money for a Glock 27, the other is still considering - though she did join he NRA! I've promoted guns/self-defense often on FB and got one neighbor (from India where guns are illegal) to take an NRA course with me. I think many women tend to impact and influence other women they know personally, probably not on a broader stage or spectrum. But it's working! Women gun ownership is at new highs! Keep it up, Ladies!

Kudos to both of you!!!

I really want to tag on to what Glock Girl said. We've recently been discussing this amongst the CalGuns C3 leadership. The question was brought up about how we can get more women involved in CalGuns and firearms in general. I explained that it takes "each one to reach one" and that women will more readily respond to a personal invitation to go shooting from another woman she knows. Then, Glock Girl goes and proves my point by saying almost the exact same thing. Better yet, M1A_Girl followed up by sharing a success story.

Strong work!

BK
Old 02-24-2013, 1:11 PM

As you all may know I'm new to shooting, handguns, the whole 9 yards. My hubby always wanted a gun for home defense but I was dead set against it with 3 kids in the house. BECAUSE I WAS UNEDUCATED.

I think that that's the case for most anti gun peeps. They are afraid of what they don't know.

When my oldest went the the Naval Academy he shot Expert (highest honor) in both rifle and handgun with NO prior experience. When he came home on leave we went to the local range so he could show us his stuff, and I was secretly hooked. Now with all the stuff that's been going on I decided to jump in. And what do you know, my daughter is itching to take a lesson too. I will leave teaching her to a pro, but I'm excited. And she's already talking to her cousin and wants to get her to join her

I took hubby to the range with me yesterday and he did pretty well after some tips from me (haha, I loved that!). #2 son is also interested. I just hope that the drought ends soon and I can get my own gun!
Old 02-24-2013, 1:14 PM

I agree with you BadKitty. I think a woman is more willing to go shooting with another woman when personally invited to go. My hsuband was trying to take his mom, but she seemed hestitant on going until I offered to take her meself, than she seemed to open up to it more. She asked when does she get to go again. I am also in the process of trying to find her a handgun course to attend.
Old 02-24-2013, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

Good news is that there are talks of getting a bay area calguns meeting going. So hopefully that takes off.

I haven't been to the range lately, conserving ammo.

Although I'm writing reps constantly and keeping up with the anti-gun BS. The only people I know in CA are my co-workers. Many pro-gun and many VERY anti-gun. I've tried to talk to the anti-gun ones but it hasn't ended well. So I gave up. No point in making my job suck and stress among my co-workers.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 02-24-2013, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Good news is that there are talks of getting a bay area calguns meeting going. So hopefully that takes off.

I haven't been to the range lately, conserving ammo.

Although I'm writing reps constantly and keeping up with the anti-gun BS. The only people I know in CA are my co-workers. Many pro-gun and many VERY anti-gun. I've tried to talk to the anti-gun ones but it hasn't ended well. So I gave up. No point in making my job suck and stress among my co-workers.
Definitely understandable.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Well lets see, I have finally gone out to a BLM area and gotten to shoot outdoors for the first time. I shot laying down and used a spotting scope for the first time also.It was great and plan to go again this weekend. I will be bringing my good friend who is a female and show her how to shoot the AR's we have. SHe has used her hubbys hand gun before but she is scared to use the big girl guns. I will work on that with her this weekend. I have learned so much this year about guns and guns laws. Hope I can pass along that knowledge. When my kid is old enough she will learn too.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A_Girl View Post
I agree with you BadKitty. I think a woman is more willing to go shooting with another woman when personally invited to go.My hsuband was trying to take his mom, but she seemed hestitant on going until I offered to take her meself, than she seemed to open up to it more. She asked when does she get to go again. I am also in the process of trying to find her a handgun course to attend.
Perhaps some women but not me, just as I did not need a female Riding Coach to take the MSF riding course, I did not need a female shooting coach(I know there is a better word for that but can't think of it right now) to teach me to shoot. Then again, I am one of those odd ducks that prefer male friends to women friends because women can be evil, backstabbing, manipulative people. I should know, I am one of them... LOL

Haven't met any on here like that(plenty of uptight, jockstrap in a knot men on here) but they are out there...
Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 PM

What I did... I went to the range without my male teammates. That was hard but fun. Now I go all the time. I'm trying to convince my female friend to come with me. I bought my second gun from a fellow Calgunner and got my first feedback.
Old 03-03-2013, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
Perhaps some women but not me, just as I did not need a female Riding Coach to take the MSF riding course, I did not need a female shooting coach(I know there is a better word for that but can't think of it right now) to teach me to shoot. Then again, I am one of those odd ducks that prefer male friends to women friends because women can be evil, backstabbing, manipulative people. I should know, I am one of them... LOL

Hi Bugguts,

Please don't misunderstand what I was saying. I wasn't talking about women like you who already shoot or own their own guns. I was specifically referring to women who might be interested in learning and have never done so before.

I'm not an average woman. I bought and paid for my own guns by myself. I go to the range by myself. I had a male firearms instructor. I work in a male-dominated career field which has a national average of 3-5% female participation. So, I just don't fit in with most female stereotypes.

But, let's face it, women in general are social creatures and like to do things "together". It is my position that a woman would be interested in going to a range if invited by another female.

BK
Old 03-03-2013, 3:19 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

i wonder how many of us don't fit in with typical female sterotypes?
seems to be a recurrent theme for most of us that participate here........
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-03-2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Hi Bugguts,

Please don't misunderstand what I was saying. I wasn't talking about women like you who already shoot or own their own guns. I was specifically referring to women who might be interested in learning and have never done so before.

I'm not an average woman. I bought and paid for my own guns by myself. I go to the range by myself. I had a male firearms instructor. I work in a male-dominated career field which has a national average of 3-5% female participation. So, I just don't fit in with most female stereotypes.

But, let's face it, women in general are social creatures and like to do things "together". It is my position that a woman would be interested in going to a range if invited by another female.

BK

Oh No BK, I wasn't taking it as a shot at me. Honestly, I only started shooting in April of 2012 because I had an "AHA" moment at home when my husband was on night shift. From that point(the next day actually!) I bought my own gun and signed up for courses. It didn't matter male or female. just someone who could teach me the basics and then some.

I meant no disrespect to those that may feel better having a female coach and I support that but you also have to stop and think "Who is most likely going to be my attacker??" That's why I love the ladies here! All such varied experiences!
Old 03-04-2013, 7:19 PM

Well generally Ive freed up my own time. Helping family and friends along, to try, gain experience, buy; and continue training with their fire arms. Was competing over the weekend out in co ohio in Arnold Classics, few other ladies and I struck a heated anti gun convo with some others, ended up going out to shoot a little, was great fun, anti gun, turned pro. Always a nice feeling to help someone open up to trying new things
Old 03-09-2013, 8:34 PM

Not fitting in with the stereotypical woman shooter is an interesting idea to explore... I know many of us wear our "mom suit" by day and when on the range get all Laura Croft (or wish we did).

Still what is the LOOK of a real woman who likes guns now? I know most people are surprised when they find out that I shoot, much less how many weapons I have, how long I have used weapons, and that I can actually throw a tight pattern. I mean I look like a nice lady.
Old 03-10-2013, 9:43 AM

LOL, Tlc! "look like a nice lady"......

many look at me and knowing my "politics" can't believe i own a gun much less GunS......
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-14-2013, 1:02 PM

I think men are starting to get surprised when a woman shows up at the range, or a gun store. The other day I was atthe range with my husband, and the guys next to us kept watching me. Its like what, are surprised I can actually put some rounds down range better than you. Yes, this is my gun, and I know how to use it.
The next day I went to the gun shop, they male worker wouldn't help me, he looked at me and just walked away. Thankfully there was a female worker, who had no problem helping me out. If it wasn't for her, that shop would never recieve my business.
Old 03-14-2013, 1:16 PM

In the gun shop, the best attire is having your American Express card in your hand.

On the gun range, the best attire is a high-scoring target.

You never know why you're being watched at the gun range. He may be wishing his wife were there with him. He might just be admiring your snazzy jeans, or wanting to try your handgun. You just never know. I always assume it's the fit of my NYD jeans...
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-14-2013 at 1:20 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 7:44 AM

I've only been to indoor ranges so far, and only a handful of times, but each time a good 40% of the shooters were female. Some were clearly noobies, others were very experienced. A good mix, just like the guys.
Old 03-20-2013, 8:31 AM

Bonnie,
You are probably right, the best thing to have in hand at the gun store is your credit card. I guess the part that made me so bad, is that we have been to that store multiple times, and purchased many firearms there before, so for them to not even ask if I need any help, when there is nobody else looking at guns, really ****ed me off. Time will tell if I return to their store.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 AM

Hi All:

I was at a benefit trap shoot yesterday and was one of about ten women (out of a total of about 120) shooters. There were three of us who knew how to shoot. The rest were there with their significant others and were afraid to death. I am fortunate to have helped out with shotguns at Women on Target. From what I could tell, most of the newbies didn't have that great of a time. About four of the women talked to me and asked me questions. I told them how to mount the gun correctly and that they needed to place their cheek on the comb and push it hard into their shoulder "pocket". After a bit of explaining about reducing "kick", and my positive experiences shooting, they wanted to try it again.

Promoting Women on Target and getting women and kids involved in shooting was a natural.

Now, can we get more women involved in competitive sporting clays?????
Old 05-18-2013, 2:28 PM

Friends of the NRA events, NRA instruction events, Woman on Target, Junior Club, Shootout for the Scouts, and club out reach events.
Old 07-07-2013, 9:51 AM

In totally new to the sport and live in the OC...purchased my first gun and am already waiting for my 30 days to expire so I can move on to the next. I guess I've 'caught the bug'. However, I am no great shot at all...I'm still in the learning phase and would like some places to go that won't look at me like I'm a totally moron for even thinking I can do it.

"I'm going to show him what little girls are made of, gunpowder and lead." -Miranda Lambert
Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 AM

MP, welcome....and I think there are several women shooters in your area who can chime in.
Quote:
Old 07-07-2013, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
MP, welcome....and I think there are several women shooters in your area who can chime in.

Thank you, MZ. I'm looking forward to getting to know some other people that can help me learn even more about the sport.

"I'm going to show him what little girls are made of, gunpowder and lead." -Miranda Lambert
Old 07-07-2013, 2:19 PM

Too bad you don't live in Central Ca. I would go with you!
Old 07-08-2013, 1:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia Princess View Post
In totally new to the sport and live in the OC...purchased my first gun and am already waiting for my 30 days to expire so I can move on to the next. I guess I've 'caught the bug'. However, I am no great shot at all...I'm still in the learning phase and would like some places to go that won't look at me like I'm a totally moron for even thinking I can do it.
You need a good teacher I'm thinking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 07-08-2013, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
You need a good teacher I'm thinking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm....a good teacher is exactly what I need. Know any good teachers that are interested?

Last edited by Mafia Princess; 07-08-2013 at 6:01 AM..
Old 07-08-2013, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia Princess View Post
Hmmm....a good teacher is exactly what I need.
Does 50 years shooting experience count? lol

I usually go to the range by myself. All the friends of No. Cal. I know are afraid of guns or anti-gun.
I never say to anyone I have guns. YAY guns! Just not worth the trouble.
I did take one lady to the range who had never shot a gun. The smile on her face after the morning of shooting was priceless.
We went in the dead of winter. Had the range to ourselves.

I need a better caliber of friends(Note the pun 'caliber').

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 07-08-2013 at 6:02 AM..
Old 07-08-2013, 6:50 AM

most ranges offer classes....some of which are even directed specifically to new women shooters and some taught by women.
Quote:
Old 10-12-2013, 8:27 PM

tonight was the women's group at Oaktree - topic ARs. about 22 showed up with ages from 20s to 60s. it was pretty fun to see a full firing line of nothing but chicks with 5.56!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:56 PM

Location: Walnut, Diamond bar, W. Covina area ... sometimes I.E.

Found a good group of people to go with ... Men women and children. Its good to see things are chaning in SOCAL. Went shooting with a CHP officer (female) was all intimidated by her, and when I saw her shoot, I was relieved. Lets just say CHP isnt the premier marksmanship program. I didnt say a thing ....
Old 10-13-2013, 6:59 AM

LOL, latina!
Quote:
Old 10-13-2013, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinaincovina View Post
Went shooting with a CHP officer (female) was all intimidated by her, and when I saw her shoot, I was relieved. Lets just say CHP isnt the premier marksmanship program. I didnt say a thing ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciboo View Post
Thats true. I shoot at a sheriffs range and sometimes I feel bad for them...

LOL!! I think people misunderstand and think that LEOs must automatically be expert marksmen because they use guns on the job. To clarify, LEOs are trained to aim for "center mass, stop the threat" - they are not trained to punch out a 1" grouping at 25 yards with their duty weapons. When a suspect is running at you with a weapon, tight groups are not a concern - "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

BK
Old 10-13-2013, 9:17 AM

I too am a "center mass shooter stop the threat" type of shooter and I would expect LE to be way better at that than me............
Quote:
Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciboo View Post
Actually I think they should be better than me. Thats a low bar you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
I too am a "center mass shooter stop the threat" type of shooter and I would expect LE to be way better at that than me............

Fair enough if that's your opinion. Sure, they should be good shooters; but, I maintain that awesome paper target shooting at the range is not the same thing as shooting at an armed suspect during a traffic stop gone horribly bad. A lot of people seem to think that LEOs should be able to to shoot the knife out of someone's hand from 50 yards or some goofball, misguided thing like that.

Knowing how hard they work and how much danger they put themselves into to protect me and my family, I personally prefer to not slam my brother and sister LEOs for not being "top-shot" experts all day everyday. I guess some people like slamming cops because it makes them feel better. To each his own, right?

And, by the way, I wouldn't be slamming that female CHP officer. She passed what is arguably one of the toughest, most hard core academies around to earn her badge.

BK