Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Deals, Sales and Coupons
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Deals, Sales and Coupons Found a good deal or sale? Got a coupon or code? Share them here!

Old 08-12-2018, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Default Pellet smoker anyone???

Okay, what I'm really interested in is your comments of the pellet smoker you may have. According to my Internet research, the best ones are made by Camp Check, not Traeger. Yesterday at Costco an "inforcommerical" type tried everything to sell me one of the Traeger that he was "pushing". I was thinking of the one below from Amazon. It's not exactly on sale, but it seems to be okay. There's no place around LV where I can see much of anything in stock. I was hoping C's/BP's carried them so I could use gift cards, but no luck. Any and all comments appreciate, especially the sales. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-PG2.../dp/B00DVELGT6
Old 08-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

I’ve had a Traeger for about 5 years now, bought at Costco. Zero complaints and it is the cheap model that doesn’t even have adjustable thermostat.. just smoke, med, high.

I have no idea about the camp chef smoker .. I have a bbq by them so I know they make quality products though.

Having said that, I’d probably still buy another traeger over a CC, even if the “online” reviews say Traeger isn’t the best brand anymore. They are quality, they’ve been around for a long time, and the fact the annoying info commercial guy is trying to sell you one at Costco is a BIG bonus! Probably saving good money, and you have the Costco guarantee.

Last edited by cgseanp1; 08-12-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Old 08-12-2018, 10:31 AM

After doing some research several years ago, we went with a RecTec. At the time, the quality and features were better than the Traeger (we also almost bought one at Costco during their demo).

I am thoroughly happy with the RecTec. We cook almost everything on it. Never a bad meal. Temp control works great. Temp never varies more than a degree or two, unless you are opening the lid a lot.

We have had two failures on our smoker. The first was an error code that could not be reset. Turns out the mother board(?) went out. The second was the igniter rod going out.

In both cases, one call to RecTec and the new parts were sent out free of charge. No questions asked. Parts arrived within a couple days. Easy to replace and both times the grill was back up and running.

RecTec is out of Georgia. The people at RecTec are some of the nicest, friendliest and most helpful people I have ever dealt with. I can’t say enough about their customer service.

Ive also heard great things about green mountain and I believe one of the members here sells them. My dad bought a clearance special at Walmart awhile back and has had really good luck with it.

Good luck
Old 08-12-2018, 10:36 AM

I have a Green Mountain Grill, and it has served me well, I'm not familiar with the CC one but the fact of the matter is, a lot of these grills are cad designed in the states and the components come from overseas, so with that said, probably is same quality as most.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 AM

The Costco Traeger grill is an outstanding value. Mine is 5+ years old and going strong.

The only thing I've done to mine is to line the area around the fire box with fireplace bricks to act as thermal mass which even out temperatures.

I have not given up my Braunsfel side smoker, but rarely use it these days as the Traeger is easier and more predictable.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Sue View Post
Okay, what I'm really interested in is your comments of the pellet smoker you may have. According to my Internet research, the best ones are made by Camp Check, not Traeger. Yesterday at Costco an "inforcommerical" type tried everything to sell me one of the Traeger that he was "pushing". I was thinking of the one below from Amazon. It's not exactly on sale, but it seems to be okay. There's no place around LV where I can see much of anything in stock. I was hoping C's/BP's carried them so I could use gift cards, but no luck. Any and all comments appreciate, especially the sales. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-PG2.../dp/B00DVELGT6
Hi Calamity,
Check out Home Depot (online) for the Camp Chef grills. They often have them on sale for a good price. I deal with Camp Chef directly for work. They have fantastic service and always send out parts when something is wrong.
12 gauge O/U with 32" ported barrels, sporting ribs, & removable chokes
CZ Tactical Sport 40 S&W
Ponsness Warren 800+ 12 gauge

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 08-12-2018, 11:07 AM

GMG Daniel Boone here..I’ve had mine 2 years now, No issues so far.Best time to purchase it is Black Friday Sportsman Warehouse.This year I may sell mine and buy the Jim Bowie (bigger cooking area).Pellets can get expensive (I go thru 200lbs a year easy,but buy out of state).And only use Lumberjack brand.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjonn View Post
After doing some research several years ago, we went with a RecTec. At the time, the quality and features were better than the Traeger (we also almost bought one at Costco during their demo).

I am thoroughly happy with the RecTec. We cook almost everything on it. Never a bad meal. Temp control works great. Temp never varies more than a degree or two, unless you are opening the lid a lot.

We have had two failures on our smoker. The first was an error code that could not be reset. Turns out the mother board(?) went out. The second was the igniter rod going out.

In both cases, one call to RecTec and the new parts were sent out free of charge. No questions asked. Parts arrived within a couple days. Easy to replace and both times the grill was back up and running.

RecTec is out of Georgia. The people at RecTec are some of the nicest, friendliest and most helpful people I have ever dealt with. I can’t say enough about their customer service.

Ive also heard great things about green mountain and I believe one of the members here sells them. My dad bought a clearance special at Walmart awhile back and has had really good luck with it.

Good luck
Other than not yet having anything go wrong, the above reflects my Rec Tec experience. Very happy.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 AM

I bought a Traeger because 2 of my friends have them. Figured they could help if I had issues. No issues at all. Rec Tec seems to be really popular and a third friend of mine likes the Camp Chef. First figure out your budget then compare the ones in your price range.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Green mountain here Daniel Boone mod. Love it this puppy

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:37 AM

I have a gmg Jim Bowie, with wifi.
It's good, but not with its fair share of problems... I replaced the wifi board a few times, under warranty, and was shipped to me real quick. Customer service is good with gmg. Now I'm having issues with taking a looong time to heat up, replaced some other parts.. we'll see how it goes.. originally bought it because of the wifi connection.. it's real nice having all your controls and notification for the grill on one app on your phone.. I'm on the fence though, if I'd buy another one ..
Old 08-12-2018, 11:46 AM

Dad bought me the fancy bronze(?) finish Traeger from Costco.

I enjoy it, no problems with it so far had it under a year.

Pit boss pellets on the other hand are crap and contain half sawdust.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
Hi Calamity,
Check out Home Depot (online) for the Camp Chef grills. They often have them on sale for a good price. I deal with Camp Chef directly for work. They have fantastic service and always send out parts when something is wrong.
I know about them at Home Depot, but only online. I would like to see one. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll have to check out some of the brands you folks mentioned.

One thing that I keep hearing about Traeger is many of them vary their temps by 30-40 degrees, even with the top closed. I use Thermowork's temp probes over the years and in addition to what my "new" smoker's temp may say, I'll always use one of my many Thermowork's air probes and also meat probes as they are very accurate. Hence I'll get a truer reading of the air/smoke temp.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:08 PM

I too went with a RecTec,and its the bees knees.So much better built than the traeger,its pathetic.as for pellets my grill came with a few hundred pounds,but ive seen first hand pit boss is junk,thankfully they were on clearance and someone elses grill
Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 PM

Redeyedrider on here sells green mountain and a good guy to talk to
Old 08-12-2018, 12:26 PM

I have the cabelas and it’s been great for me, 40 percent off matters!!
Old 08-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
I too went with a RecTec,and its the bees knees.So much better built than the traeger,its pathetic.as for pellets my grill came with a few hundred pounds,but ive seen first hand pit boss is junk,thankfully they were on clearance and someone elses grill
It may be pathetic how much better yours is than a Traeger, but that doesn’t change the fact the Traeger is still a quality option.. plus if you buy at Costco you get their warranty so that negates a lot of these so called issues.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Lots of choices here. Upon doing my research about a year ago, I decided to go an inexpensive route, with great reviews. I ended up getting Pit Boss 700FB and love it! I got mine from Walmart, on sale at the store for $348 + tax

Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting
Quote:
We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
Quote:
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz
Old 08-12-2018, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Saved up and have a camp chef wood wind sg. Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtmark View Post
Saved up and have a camp chef wood wind sg. Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You cannot beat the camp chef woodwind sg. It has a 900 degree sear box attached that flat out beats every pellet smoker. They are that, smokers, so having that sear box adds the versatility that most are lacking
Old 08-12-2018, 2:04 PM

I've been researching pellet smokers for 6 months before I bought mine. I researched Rec Tec, Camp Chef, Traeger, GMG, and Z Grills. People I know have GMG, Traeger, and Camp Chef. I ultimately bought a Silverbac from Grilla Grills and let me tell you the build quality is far superior than the other brands with stainless steel components. They are on YouTube and their customer service is first rate!
Old 08-12-2018, 2:24 PM

C's has the traeger, where at the correct overlap in coupons, cashback and gc's comes out to under 600$ for the 34" elite. I almost bought that last year but decided to pick up the last of C's meopta scopes.
Old 08-12-2018, 2:42 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

I have a Camp Chef SmokePro DLX for about 2 months now, I really like it. Been using the heck out of it. Smoked a few brisket points, rib slabs, a bunch of tri tips, bologne rolls, Jimmy Dean sausage rolls wrapped in bacon weaves (smoked fatties!), hot links, cheddarwurst sausage links.

I found that Sportsmans Warehouse online is a great place to get pellets cheap. Camp Chef brand for about $12 per 20lb bag and free ship over $49. They have the full selection of woods online too.

And then they will send you a 10% off coupon after you place an order, so the next batch is even cheaper. I ordered 200lbs - they go pretty quick when you are doing midnight briskets every weekend

I also have used a few bags of Traeger Texas Beef blend pellets - I like them a lot but they are around $20/bag.

I added the fold down front shelf a few days ago - cheapest place for that was OpticsPlanet. Added a few fun filler items for free ship. The front shelf is super handy, almost a must have.

There is also a sear box option for the DLX.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-12-2018 at 2:49 PM..
Old 08-12-2018, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagle View Post
C's has the traeger, where at the correct overlap in coupons, cashback and gc's comes out to under 600$ for the 34" elite. I almost bought that last year but decided to pick up the last of C's meopta scopes.
I didn't see that before as I searched for Camp Chef. Have to think about this.

Thanks again for all the comments.
Old 08-12-2018, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

I had the Traeger Century model from Costco. Hell, had 3 of them. Returned them all, serious temp swings and their C/S wouldn't do anything about it. This was about 2 years ago when their company was in the midst of rebuilding and moving, but that's still no excuse for telling a customer to basically pound sand. I have friends that run Traegers and they love them. I just happened to get some lemons.

I dumped Traeger in favor of Green Mountain Grills. While I have had some issues with my GMG, nothing mechanical is ever 100% issue free, they're C/S is top notch and have shipped out replacement parts the same day to me. They've even given me free parts and upgrades. Got the WiFi PID from them for free.

You say you're in Vegas? I'm sure there's got to be some BBQ stores around town that sell smokers.

If not and you're dead set on buying from Cabela's, a Traeger or Camp Chef will work just fine for your needs.

Good luck and happy smoking.
Old 08-12-2018, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, one more thing, once you get your smoker, come check out the CG's bbq thread, great bunch of guys and we share tips and recipes.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&highlight=bbq
Old 08-12-2018, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I have a Camp Chef SmokePro DLX for about 2 months now, I really like it. Been using the heck out of it. Smoked a few brisket points, rib slabs, a bunch of tri tips, bologne rolls, Jimmy Dean sausage rolls wrapped in bacon weaves (smoked fatties!), hot links, cheddarwurst sausage links.

I found that Sportsmans Warehouse online is a great place to get pellets cheap. Camp Chef brand for about $12 per 20lb bag and free ship over $49. They have the full selection of woods online too.

And then they will send you a 10% off coupon after you place an order, so the next batch is even cheaper. I ordered 200lbs - they go pretty quick when you are doing midnight briskets every weekend

I also have used a few bags of Traeger Texas Beef blend pellets - I like them a lot but they are around $20/bag.

I added the fold down front shelf a few days ago - cheapest place for that was OpticsPlanet. Added a few fun filler items for free ship. The front shelf is super handy, almost a must have.

There is also a sear box option for the DLX.
Thanks for the info. I saw Sportsman's Warehouse, had the pellets too, but didn't realize they were that price. The price is the same as tricky Dick's are selling them for. Don't think I'd ever go there through.

Looks like SG doesn't carry them any longer and I thought they did.

Last edited by Calamity Sue; 08-12-2018 at 6:28 PM..
Old 08-12-2018, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
I had the Traeger Century model from Costco. Hell, had 3 of them. Returned them all, serious temp swings and their C/S wouldn't do anything about it. This was about 2 years ago when their company was in the midst of rebuilding and moving, but that's still no excuse for telling a customer to basically pound sand. I have friends that run Traegers and they love them. I just happened to get some lemons.

I dumped Traeger in favor of Green Mountain Grills. While I have had some issues with my GMG, nothing mechanical is ever 100% issue free, they're C/S is top notch and have shipped out replacement parts the same day to me. They've even given me free parts and upgrades. Got the WiFi PID from them for free.

You say you're in Vegas? I'm sure there's got to be some BBQ stores around town that sell smokers.

If not and you're dead set on buying from Cabela's, a Traeger or Camp Chef will work just fine for your needs.

Good luck and happy smoking.
BBQ's Galore has some and even Sportsman's Warehouse, the N LV one, I think has the Rec Tec, or maybe the GM one.

Still considering it. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2018, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Sue View Post
BBQ's Galore has some and even Sportsman's Warehouse, the N LV one, I think has the Rec Tec, or maybe the GM one.

Still considering it. Thanks.
Roger that. If you can afford the Rec Tec, I'd get one of those over a GMG any day and twice on Sunday.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2018, 6:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post
It may be pathetic how much better yours is than a Traeger, but that doesn’t change the fact the Traeger is still a quality option.. plus if you buy at Costco you get their warranty so that negates a lot of these so called issues.
Yeah, lugging 200 pounds back to the store is great.

Maybe it's just the pellet quality, but I'm sold on Rec Tec.
Old 08-12-2018, 6:54 PM

I have a sawtooth grill for about 8 years. Been happy with it. I wish I had got the thermostat on it. Not just low to high adjustment. With quality pellets I’tt can smoke at very low temps. I prefer the green mountain grill pellets. They come in n 28 lb bags. Treger ok for higher temp cooking. Sportsman’s warehouse carry’s the pellets. Enjoy the journey.
Old 08-12-2018, 6:55 PM

I have had a Louisiana Grill for 7 years. I was going to buy a Traeger but they moved their manufacturing to China and decreased the guage of the steel they use. LGs are made in Canada. There wasn't as many options as there are now.

RecTecs are really nice.

If I were I buy one again I'd go with a CookShack.

http://www.cookshack.com/Residential-Products/Equipment

Last edited by madmike88; 08-12-2018 at 7:11 PM..
Old 08-12-2018, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post

Well that part would suck.. just gives you some piece of mind I guess.
Old 08-12-2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2gots View Post
Customer service is good with gmg. Now I'm having issues with taking a looong time to heat up, replaced some other parts..
Had this issue with mine a few months ago.

Check the blower fan under the belly. Mine went out and caused it to not get passed 200 degrees. Had GMG send send out a new fan, problem solved. Back up to temp in the normal 10 minutes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 10:23 PM

I smoke all of my meat on a regular Weber Kettle grill w/charcoal and the appropriate wood of choice. No problems what so ever.

Also have a 3 burner Weber Spirit grill but hardly use it. Thought about buying a pellet smoker/grill but read too many complaints of problems w/them (regardless of who made them). If I was really serious, I buy an offset smoker like one of that big Oklahoma Joe's that I keep eyeing at Lowes but I'm not that serious about BBQ/smoking to get one even though they aren't that expensive.

Last edited by sgt1372; 08-13-2018 at 10:33 AM..
Old 08-13-2018, 7:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post
Screw those POS made for Costco Traegers. Had 3, temps swings like you wouldn't believe. Traeger CS said it was acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post

Literally threw them in the back of my truck to haul them back to Costco.
Old 08-13-2018, 7:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i have heard very good things about rectec. only downside is theyre expensive.

traeger is trash, plain and simple unless you buy their pro line units which are as expensive as rectec but dont have the industry following.

i have GMG or green mountain grills that i bought from a forum member. its just like traeger in that it is built in china so its less expensive. the big diff though is that the GMG is seriously heavy duty where the traeger feels like an aluminum can in comparison.

the GMG is my smoker, low heat BBQ and for the other stuff, i have a Big Green Egg XL.
Old 08-13-2018, 7:27 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
I had the Traeger Century model from Costco. Hell, had 3 of them. Returned them all, serious temp swings and their C/S wouldn't do anything about it.
I see pretty big temp swings in my Camp Chef too - but only when looking at the controller read smoker probe temp. I also use a 2-probe Redi Check wireless system to probe meat and grill temp. The temp of air just over the grill doesn't swing nearly as much as the controller would lead you to believe.

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Redi...dp/B01FEKGB9Y/

The ThermoPro is also very popular https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP2...dp/B01GE77QT0/

I think the probe position of the smoker controller probe shows wider temp swings than the meat is really seeing - but may be necessary to the pellet feeding ops.

I do recommend a 2-probe wireless probe setup. I really like the Redi Chek and have had good luck with them over the years. In addition to the convenience of a wireless meat probe, the nice thing about running a grill temp probe, is it will alert you if you have a flame-out - which is possible on the lowest/slowest setting. Very handy if you do midnight briskets.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-13-2018 at 7:34 PM..
Old 08-14-2018, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I see pretty big temp swings in my Camp Chef too - but only when looking at the controller read smoker probe temp. I also use a 2-probe Redi Check wireless system to probe meat and grill temp. The temp of air just over the grill doesn't swing nearly as much as the controller would lead you to believe.

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Redi...dp/B01FEKGB9Y/

The ThermoPro is also very popular https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP2...dp/B01GE77QT0/

I think the probe position of the smoker controller probe shows wider temp swings than the meat is really seeing - but may be necessary to the pellet feeding ops.

I do recommend a 2-probe wireless probe setup. I really like the Redi Chek and have had good luck with them over the years. In addition to the convenience of a wireless meat probe, the nice thing about running a grill temp probe, is it will alert you if you have a flame-out - which is possible on the lowest/slowest setting. Very handy if you do midnight briskets.
When your PID readout literally goes up and down as you're watching it, there's an issue. Also, I was using oven thermometers to monitor grate temps, which I still do to this day. Regarding electronic equipment, I have a Thermoworks Smoke that replaced a Maverick ET-732. For my instant read, I have a Thermoworks Mk4.

Pellet smokers are notorious for having hot spots and or grate temps not matching PID controller readout temps.