Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-08-2018, 4:20 AM

Default Only three?

The counties I am considering moving to only allow three guns on the permit (including off roster guns). Choosing the three guns is a very difficult decision for me since I carry almost all my guns. My dilemma is that three guns cover 95% of my carry needs but a few are needed in some cases. I divide my guns up into five groups: large, G19 sized, G26 compact, small and pocket. A Glock 19, 26 and 43 cover most of my urban needs. I use a S&W 629 4” as my trail gun. I generally do not like pocket guns, but wardrobe or back problems may require it. These last two categories are the last 5%.

One issue I am having is the legislated 10 round capacity limit. This removes part of the justification for a Glock 19 sized 9mm defensive pistol. It makes me want to stick with 45 ACP or 10mm since going to a more powerful cartridge makes sense under such limits. So, I would swap out the Glock 19 for a Glock 30, Glock 21 (despite the 10 round mags), SIG P227, SIG P220, 1911 Commander, or S&W M&P 45 M2.0. I consider both large guns due to the G30’s width (and printing under some circumstances) and the M&P is 1911 Commander sized.

An interesting compromise is the HK P30SK 9mm. It is between the G19 and G26 in size. It shoots well and includes a hammer for safer holstering in the appendix position. The Lite LEM trigger is fantastic. I may go with that as an all around gun. The position currently held by the Glock 26.

My Dan Wesson ECO carries like a slightly better form factor Glock 19, but has the common problems of the 1911 platform. My JM Custom Kydex AIWB 2.5 holster is amazing and hides it well. Then again, I have that holster for all my short slide guns

Another thought is to acquire a Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, or Guncrafter Industries CCO in 45 ACP and put up with the 7+1 capacity. The justification for the expense is increased reliability and the $3,000 price tag is less than a full day of lawyer fees in a self-defense case. The gun will carry well strongside IWB or AIWB.

Some days, I want to throw out everything for CA carry and get my “Jelly Bryce on” with a S&W Model 27 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 or go with all 1911’s. Then I remember carrying spare ammo for revolvers is difficult (bulk, printing, snaps come loose, etc) and my 1911’s jam just frequently enough that I hesitate to use them for defense.

Given the above, what is your list and why?

Last edited by tomrkba; 08-08-2018 at 4:50 AM..
Old 08-08-2018, 5:23 AM
Calguns Addict

SIG P220 Carry (.45) — for standard, casual dress
SIG P239 (9mm) — for light dress (e.g., shorts and tee shirt)
S&W Model 60 (.357 magnum or .38 spl +P) — for outdoors (e.g., fishing or hiking)

I switched from my .40 caliber SIG P239 to the 9mm version because I shoot so much 9mm and .45 for USPSA practice, and I thought I should stick to those same calibers in my carry guns. The 9mm version also holds 8+1 instead of 7+1. I also might switch the S&W Model 60 (3” barrel) out for my no-lock S&W 642 for the ease and convenience of pocket carry for those occasions when I don’t feel like strapping on an IWB holster. If incoming Sheriff Withrow allows us to list 5 guns on our permits instead of 3, I will list all 5 of these guns on my permit and have virtually all of my carry needs covered.

Old 08-08-2018, 8:48 AM

The 3 I had on mine until recently were a 1911 Mark IV Officers, a HK 45C and a Ruger LCRX .38+P. Just bought a HK P2000SK .40 and swapped it out with the Ruger. Love the new SK (love the 45C also!). If you are still outside of CA where you can purchase off roster guns before you move here, I highly recommend doing so! HK P30SK is OFF ROSTER in CA. I probably would have bought that instead of the P2000SK, but I gotta say, loving the P2K - and, the P30(SK)edit* doesn't come in .40!

Not sure what part of Nor Cal you're looking at but El Dorado County, Just N.E. of Sacramento (South of Placerville up to South Lake Tahoe) is probably the best County to get your ccw in. No gun limit, only have to qualify with one gun, etc. Sheriff John D'Agostini is awesome! I am looking at moving up to the Tahoe area and am very happy to know they (E.D. County Sheriff) will actually take my current Cal ccw into account for the application process. Its not a trade out situation, but I understand it does help having an existing Cal ccw.

After the painstaking rigmarole I went through here in San Diego, it is comforting to know there are at least a few Counties that don't make us jump through nearly as many HOOPS!

Last edited by JohnnieBoy; 08-09-2018 at 8:28 AM..
Old 08-08-2018, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up I really only carry two or three of them regularly...

Although I have five pistols on my CA permit, I really only carry two or three of them regularly.

For hot weather and hiking (shorts, tank tops, etc) the P380 usually get the nod.

For average weather and with better cover garments, the G43 moves to the head of the line.

For winter clothes and when wearing jackets, the .45 shield gets put into service.

If you like to carry (and can conceal) a bigger gun (service pistols and 1911's) make that your biggest listed carry piece.

The remaining two pistols should conceal and carry easily with your all of your other seasonal clothes and activities.

When travelling in other states, which don't list specific pistols on their permits, I like to audition other potential carry pistols.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 08-08-2018, 1:03 PM

Default HK P30 DOES come in a .40. I own one !

HK P30 V3 does come in a 40 caliber. I own one. QUOTE=John, the P30 doesn't come in .40!

Not sure what part of Nor Cal you're looking at but El Dorado County, Just N.E. of Sacramento (South of Placerville up to South Lake Tahoe) is probably the best County to get your ccw in. No gun limit, only have to qualify with one gun, etc. Sheriff John D'Agostini is awesome! I am looking at moving up to the Tahoe area and am very happy to know they (E.D. County Sheriff) will actually take my current Cal ccw into account for the application process. Its not a trade out situation, but I understand it does help having an existing Cal ccw.

After the painstaking rigmarole I went through here in San Diego, it is comforting to know there are at least a few Counties that don't make us jump through nearly as many HOOPS![/QUOTE]
Old 08-08-2018, 2:35 PM

I am limited to 3 as well.

Sig 365
Sig 227 when wearing something large/heavy/winter. The grip is tough to conceal.
S&W M&P Shield 9mm, probably selling this one or giving it to my wife, with the 365 its now redundant. Might add on my pre-lock 686 or cz85.
Old 08-08-2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docent View Post
HK P30 V3 does come in a 40 caliber. I own one. QUOTE=John, the P30 doesn't come in .40!

After the painstaking rigmarole I went through here in San Diego, it is comforting to know there are at least a few Counties that don't make us jump through nearly as many HOOPS!
[/QUOTE]

P30 does, P30SK does not. We were discussing the Sub Kompact.
Old 08-08-2018, 8:00 PM

I’m in an unlimited co., Sutter, but only have 4 on my permit.

2 Shield 9mm, LCR.38 and a Kimber Raptor.

The Shield is my main EDC, I have 2 so if one needs something done I will still carry an identical piece. 1 is a practice gun and the other is EDC.

The LCR is for 2 specific situations and I rarely even look at the Raptor although I carried it for years, the 9mm has finally won me over.
Old 08-08-2018, 8:30 PM
Calguns Addict

I've simply eliminated sub compacts from carry rotation. After careful consideration I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't want to have to fight/bet my life on a short sight radius'd, reduced capacity, greater recoiling, can't get my damn hand on the stubby grip, weapon. And since I can conceal a G19 sized gun in shorts and a t-shirt, there really isn't a need for anything smaller. YMMV.

BTW...I run my 4" M&P 45 in a JMC AIWB-WC holster. It's fantastic at concealing it.

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-08-2018, 9:28 PM

The p365 is easy to conceal and holds 10 +1
Old 08-09-2018, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Photog View Post
No other guns? What will you do if it breaks?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
I've simply eliminated sub compacts from carry rotation. After careful consideration I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't want to have to fight/bet my life on a short sight radius'd, reduced capacity, greater recoiling, can't get my damn hand on the stubby grip, weapon. And since I can conceal a G19 sized gun in shorts and a t-shirt, there really isn't a need for anything smaller. YMMV.

BTW...I run my 4" M&P 45 in a JMC AIWB-WC holster. It's fantastic at concealing it.
Hmmmm.... the sights on my HK P2000SK are the same distance apart as my 1911 OACP and less than an inch shorter than my HK 45C. Reduced capacity? The HK P2000SK holds 9/1 .40 S&W. How is that "reduced capacity?" The recoil on the HK's are superb, they have addressed it well. I have already put 500 rounds through this new gun and don't find the recoil to be an issue worse than any other larger caliber semi auto I have fired. It also had Z-E-R-O issues in that 500 rounds, so don't see any problem trusting my life with this gun as an edc. Also, I have ZERO issue drawing (very quickly) from my KramerLeather IWB holster with this gun. Kramer makes amazing holsters, btw - for those of us who are not a fan of kydex and prefer leather. Do I carry a medium or full size from time to time? Sure I do... But I'm an electrical Contractor by trade, and prefer not to have a 'giant brick' on my side every day. To each his own, but I am LOVING the P2SK.... And no, not one of the things pointed out about an SK ring true to me, at. all.
Old 08-09-2018, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Photog View Post

So is/does a G26.....and a G26 costs $450-500 vs. P365 cost of $1400-1600.

Bottom line, OP, you’re way overthinking it.....trying to fit the “perfect carry guns for all situations”.

I have a Walther PPS 7+1 as my 1st CCW gun....excellent subcompact...but almost NEVER carry it anymore since getting a 10+1 G26.

A Glock 19, or M&P9, with 10+1 of low recoil 9mm hollow points is excellent for most common self-defense. You can’t prepare for an army while in Cali. It‘s WHERE you put the rounds. Shooting wild with a big 45 bullet is no help.

A Glock 30/30SF......get the 30S ....with 10+1 of 45 is better than 7+1 in a “$3000” 1911. A Glock is going to be as much, or more, reliable than those 1911s. Makes no sense to carry a high dollar 1911, just because.....unless that is the gun you absolutely shoot the best.

With all these higher cap options, I’d never carry a 6-shot revolver.

Last edited by Erion929; 08-09-2018 at 8:12 PM..
Old 08-09-2018, 11:09 PM

I've vetted both my Shields with 200 rounds each of 115gn Barnes TAC and 147 gn HST, the recoil with both of those rounds is surprisingly tame. I like knowing 2 different EDC ammos will work in the event I can't find HST's in this state.

The round count for the 2 Shields is at 3,700 rds now without a single stop other than 3 white box rounds that didn't go bang in either one or a buddies Glock.

With Magguts plus 2 mag parts you get 10/1 rounds in a Ca gun, not to bad for being in a state that is doing its best to hamstring us.

I will admit to wishing there was at least a slight palm swell on the grip or more aggressive stippling.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

P380 for when I absolutely positively can not print
Shield for regular carry
G30SF for cooler weather under a jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieBoy View Post
Hmmmm.... the sights on my HK P2000SK are the same distance apart as my 1911 OACP and less than an inch shorter than my HK 45C. Reduced capacity? The HK P2000SK holds 9/1 .40 S&W. How is that "reduced capacity?" The recoil on the HK's are superb, they have addressed it well. I have already put 500 rounds through this new gun and don't find the recoil to be an issue worse than any other larger caliber semi auto I have fired. It also had Z-E-R-O issues in that 500 rounds, so don't see any problem trusting my life with this gun as an edc. Also, I have ZERO issue drawing (very quickly) from my KramerLeather IWB holster with this gun. Kramer makes amazing holsters, btw - for those of us who are not a fan of kydex and prefer leather. Do I carry a medium or full size from time to time? Sure I do... But I'm an electrical Contractor by trade, and prefer not to have a 'giant brick' on my side every day. To each his own, but I am LOVING the P2SK.... And no, not one of the things pointed out about an SK ring true to me, at. all.
What do you suppose the very last word I wrote means? "YMMV?"

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 AM

You Might Mean Velocity?
Old 08-10-2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
So is/does a G26.....and a G26 costs $450-500 vs. P365 cost of $1400-1600.

Bottom line, OP, you’re way overthinking it.....trying to fit the “perfect carry guns for all situations”.

I have a Walther PPS 7+1 as my 1st CCW gun....excellent subcompact...but almost NEVER carry it anymore since getting a 10+1 G26.

A Glock 19, or M&P9, with 10+1 of low recoil 9mm hollow points is excellent for most common self-defense. You can’t prepare for an army while in Cali. It‘s WHERE you put the rounds. Shooting wild with a big 45 bullet is no help.

A Glock 30/30SF......get the 30S ....with 10+1 of 45 is better than 7+1 in a “$3000” 1911. A Glock is going to be as much, or more, reliable than those 1911s. Makes no sense to carry a high dollar 1911, just because.....unless that is the gun you absolutely shoot the best.

I have three G26’s. I like them

I have a stack of G19’s too.

I also have a G30...like that too.

I have taken lots of defensive pistol courses. Preachin’ to the choir on accuracy while moving.

Last edited by tomrkba; 08-10-2018 at 5:35 PM..
Old 08-10-2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
I have been thinking about 357 Magnum and it actually makes sense (to a point) where the number of guns on a permit is limited and capacity is only 10. It can serve as a personal defense gun with 38 Special +P or light 357 Magnum and as a trail/hunting gun with heavier loads. An eight round capacity 327 TRR8 is a very good gun (I have one), as is an all steel 627. The complications of revolver carry still exist and always make me think twice. But, it would do well in the hands of a trained shooter.
Old 08-10-2018, 7:18 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I carry a G43 90% of the time in the summer. I carry a G19 90% of the time in the winter. I carry my 1911 about once every two months to prove I can. Yes I might swap the 1911 out for my G20 at renewal, I don't know....

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
No other guns? What will you do if it breaks?
The P365 is a new purchase for me. Currently on my permit is my home defence gun, Springfield XD9 tactical but it's too big for ECD. I also have P238 that I have been using and really like the size of. The P365 will become my new year round carry choice and the P238 will stay in the safe as a backup when the P365 needs service. The P365 is nearly the same size as the P238 but with 10 +1 rounds of 9mm vs the 7 +1 of 38 auto in the P238.
Old 08-11-2018, 5:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have 5 on my permit and carry my G43 with +1 mag ext. most of the time, 7+1 capacity. Extra mags have +3 extensions.
G43
G43
G19
G36
S&W 442
Old 08-11-2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel30 View Post
I have 5 on my permit and carry my G43 with +1 mag ext. most of the time, 7+1 capacity. Extra mags have +3 extensions.
G43
G43
G19
G36
S&W 442
What is the reasoning behind those choices?
Old 08-11-2018, 6:42 PM

I have 6 on my license.

I have a pickup truck and hate having to keep them locked up.

Full size 9mm BC I've had it since '92 with my 15 round magazines.

Two S&W N frame .357 revolvers. 2.5" and 5" barrel

Ruger .44 Magnum revolver.

Full size 1911 .45acp

Compact 3" 1911 .45acp.

Going to add four more.

An upgraded Compact 3" 1911.45acp with better sights and trigger.

Sig P238 for pocket carry.

Ruger .454/45LC revolver.

Compact 3" 9mm.

I EDC the compact 45.

The revolvers are for are for hiking in addition to my EDC.

Once everything is on my license I'll EDC the compact 45s, the compact 9mm or the Sig depending on weather or wardrobe.

I'm a member at a range and only have to buy the ammo from them to qualify... Usually $20.
Old 08-11-2018, 6:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
G43 is subcompact
G19 is compact
G36 is single stack .45
442 is a double action .38 snub

To elaborate a bit...

With having only 3 guns allowed on your permit why keep the G26? I sold mine when I picked up my G43. If capacity is an issue then carry an extra mag or the G19, which isn't much bigger then the G26. If caliber is an issue then carry your G30sf and dump the G19 and the G26. Then you have two spots open

I chose the G36 because it is a single stack .45 and virtually the same size as a G19. The G36 will fit in most of my G19 holsters. It is 6+1 which is a downside but it's size is easier to conceal for me then the thicker G30sf.

Can't go wrong with a 1911 platform either. I may put my Dan Wesson CBOB on the permit in the 6 spot, still contemplating.

3 spots make it difficult, just start with the one gun which fits your needs the best and be willing to set the others aside. Then add as your needs may change. Chances are you will find yourself carrying the same gun in most situations.

Good luck

Last edited by steel30; 08-12-2018 at 6:09 AM..
Old 08-12-2018, 8:46 AM

I'm allowed 5, but only have 2 listed (one gun is listed with 2 calibers, so I technically have 3 guns listed). My 99% of the time carry is my P239/9. It's easy to shoot, and has 1 more round than my P239/.357. My other gun is a P229/.357 for winter carry. It's also on my permit in .40, but I never carry it that way.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
G43 is subcompact
G19 is compact
G36 is single stack .45
442 is a double action .38 snub

To elaborate a bit...

With having only 3 guns allowed on your permit why keep the G26? I sold mine when I picked up my G43. If capacity is an issue then carry an extra mag or the G19, which isn't much bigger then the G26. If caliber is an issue then carry your G30sf and dump the G19 and the G26. Then you have two spots open

I chose the G36 because it is a single stack .45 and virtually the same size as a G19. The G36 will fit in most of my G19 holsters. It is 6+1 which is a downside but it's size is easier to conceal for me then the thicker G30sf.

Can't go wrong with a 1911 platform either. I may put my Dan Wesson CBOB on the permit in the 6 spot, still contemplating.

3 spots make it difficult, just start with the one gun which fits your needs the best and be willing to set the others aside. Then add as your needs may change. Chances are you will find yourself carrying the same gun in most situations.

Good luck
Hehhe...that’s the problem with having a safe full of pistols and no limits on the permit. I end up rotating. I actually gave up on trying to carry one or two and just picked up a JM Custom kydex AIWB 2.5 for the ones I can carry up front and a Milt Sparks Criterion or VM2 for all of them.

Yesterday, I was all about the G30. I will likely take your advice and just start with one of the 26’s. I know those work well (nothing like a 2,000 round class to test...Roger Phillips’ “Point Shooting Progressions”) and I can point shoot on the run to 17 or 18 yards. I will probably just put both of my Gen 3 26’s on there so I do not get confused and grab the wrong one on my way out the door. I am still ironing out Glock 30 appendix carry (wing causes printing at belt level) but it carries well in a Criterion.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Another thought is to pick up a G19 Gen3, add an RMR and chop the grip to take G26 mags...an “Officers Glock 19” if you will. But, that just compounds the problem. I know I will have a 26 on there for sure, though.

Michael Bane stuck an RMR on his G26 and praised the performance.

The

Last edited by tomrkba; 08-12-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Old 08-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

g19 99% of the time with 15 + 1

I have 3 on it LC9 and SW airweight

rarely use the sub size

5'11" 180lbs

PU Sniper - Finnish M27 - SKS matching for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483491

Ruger Mk lll 22/45 , Uberti SAA .357 , Rossi .357 for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483671
Old 08-13-2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
g19 99% of the time with 15 + 1

I have 3 on it LC9 and SW airweight

rarely use the sub size

5'11" 180lbs
I thought 15 round mags were banned. I have a stack of them with purchase dates ranging from the 1990’s to last week.
Old 08-13-2018, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

the 2018 law banning possession of 10+ magazines is on "pause" in the courts as we speak.

Keep calm and Carry on: )

PU Sniper - Finnish M27 - SKS matching for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483491

Ruger Mk lll 22/45 , Uberti SAA .357 , Rossi .357 for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483671
Old 08-13-2018, 8:34 PM

I have no limit on the number of guns I can carry, so I carry:
1. Kahr CW380 when I'm going to be socializing (and possibly getting hugged) by children or gun-phobic adults, carried AIWB.
2. Glock 42 when I'm going to be out by myself or with my wife or with someone not afraid of guns, carried OWB at 3:30.
Old 08-13-2018, 9:35 PM

I don't have restrictions on firearms, but I carry Glock 17 in a IWB holster almost exclusively on all occasions. Never had a problem.
Old 08-14-2018, 5:47 PM

A few hundred handguns later... I'm going the other direction and making things simple.

I have 3 slots on my permit. Currently all 9 mm
Shield- G19- G17

I will go to ONE (1) Carry Gun eventually with a duplicate just because.

Simplicity across the board. Holster-Mags-Ammo manual of arms familiarity.

Last edited by Ranger20; 08-14-2018 at 6:00 PM..
Old 08-14-2018, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger20 View Post
A few hundred handguns later... I'm going the other direction and making things simple.

I have 3 slots on my permit. Currently all 9 mm
Shield- G19- G17

I will go to ONE (1) Carry Gun eventually with a duplicate just because.

Simplicity across the board. Holster-Mags-Ammo manual of arms familiarity.

I was doing the same thing with my striker 9s.....simplicity.....but recently got a 30S and it’s such a small beast of a .45acp carry gun that I’m going to put it on.

Same platform, though

Old 08-15-2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
I was doing the same thing with my striker 9s.....simplicity.....but recently got a 30S and it’s such a small beast of a .45acp carry gun that I’m going to put it on.

Same platform, though

30S is nice.. a do all gun.
I ccw'd the 36 and had 30 at one time the two together make the 30s I know you prob know that. The Glock Rep at shot show told me all they did was remark the 36 slide to 30s when they put it on the 30. It was a market driven decision as people were already doing it and gave them something new to offer at shot show without much expense.
Old 08-17-2018, 5:53 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
G43
G43
G19
G36
S&W 442
Quote:
Probably the same reason for my 3... and I would have a .357 if I could have 4-5 on my permit.
Subcompact
Backup subcompact
Full size double-stack (please don't call the G19 a compact ) for cooler weather with heavier cover garments

And a G19-sized .45

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-17-2018, 5:56 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Exactly what I did.
I started with a G26, G36, and Shield
I occasionally carried the G36, Shield was EDC, and I never once carried the G26.
The G26 and G36 got dropped and replaced by a P380 and G30SF.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2018, 8:53 PM

I only get 3 in my county. I bit restricting but I can make due.

1. Kahr PM9 - for ultra-concealment. I tend to carry this a lot because it is so light and comfortable.
2. HK P2000SK (LEM). My standard carry. Relatively compact with a 10 +1 capacity. Very easy to shoot well for a compact.
3. Glock 29. 10+1 rounds of 10MM is comforting. I carry this anytime I may come into contact with dangerous animals; usually hiking in the woods, or visiting San Francisco.

I do wish I could have one more gun on my permit. I would like to have a J-frame or small 380. The Kahr PM9 is great for concealment, but there are times when a J-frame or tiny 380 would work better for me.
Old 08-21-2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
I thought 15 round mags were banned. I have a stack of them with purchase dates ranging from the 1990’s to last week.
Correct me if I am wrong, but is sounds like you are coming from out of state. Just a clarification so you do not get yourself thrown in jail. California banned magazine capacity over 10 rounds around 1999. Anyone who was a CA resident and owned a magazine with more than 10 rounds at that time was grandfathered in and could keep them. If you are bringing >10 round magazines into CA, then it doesn't matter when they were purchased. It's a no-go. A law was recently passed that took away the grandfather provision so even residents that owned greater than 10 magazines before 1999 had to give them up. This is what has been put on hold.

Also, which counties are you looking at. It looks like you are moving to the Bay Area. Just because a county will allow 3 or more guns on a permit, does not mean you will get a permit. For example, San Francisco County has a nice application and allows 3 guns on the permit. The only problem is that it is nearly impossible to get a permit in that county. Most Bay Area counties are like that. Choose your county wisely.