Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 08-07-2018, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
A Gerber single bladed push knife w/a sheath on a neck strap that I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse in Stockton.

Have been looking for a push knife for some time but this the 1st one I've seen anywhere, including gun shows where you'd think they'd be prevalent.

Mentioned this to a knife dealer & asked him why push knives were so scarce and if they were now illegal to carry. He didn't know.

Anyone here have an explanation?
Illegal to carry concealed because it is considered a fixed blade.
Regards,
Mike
Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboma View Post
Illegal to carry concealed because it is considered a fixed blade.
Regards,
Mike
So, then open carry on the neck strap or on a belt in the sheath is ok? BTW, FWIW, the blade is less than 3" long.

But, if legal to openly carry, why are they so scarce these days?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
So, then open carry on the neck strap or on a belt in the sheath is ok? BTW, FWIW, the blade is less than 3" long.

But, if legal to openly carry, why are they so scarce these days?
I am no expert but as long as a fixed blade is not concealed you should be good to go. I also didn't realize they were scarce these days but I have not been in the knife market for some time.

If your looking for a very scary neck knife look into the Cold Steel Safe Maker knives:

If you look at it wrong it cuts you.

Regards,
Mike
Old 08-07-2018, 10:28 AM

s-l1600(9).jpgJust picked this up about a week ago for edc, till the ka-bar arrives...
Old 08-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboma View Post
I am no expert but as long as a fixed blade is not concealed you should be good to go. I also didn't realize they were scarce these days but I have not been in the knife market for some time.

If your looking for a very scary neck knife look into the Cold Steel Safe Maker knives:

If you look at it wrong it cuts you.

Regards,
Mike
I've also got a old 5" double edged Gerber Mark I dagger; longer and thinner than the Safe Maker and very, very sharp.

The Mark I is apparently very valuable now; seen asking prices for it in the $150+ range. Mine is like new but I f**ked up the sheath by cutting off the retention tabs. Am considering having a local leather shop make another leather sheath for it and/or making/buying a kydex sheath for it as well or instead.

Don't plan to carry the push knife much, if at all; just wanted to have one to add to my small collection. May look into getting the Cold Steel version, as well.

FWIW, just looked up CA's knife laws and there's no specific ban on push knives; just the open carry requirement since they are included w/in the defn of a "dirk" or "dagger."

So, their scarcity in stores and gun shows is just a mystery.

Last edited by sgt1372; 09-07-2018 at 7:11 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Arrived yesterday via Knives Ship Free:

I work about four or five blocks down from Chris Reeves. They have a pretty cool little shop around the corner from us and always have a whole handful of sebenza and custom knives up on Deck to be sold right there.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

GEC 44's incoming

and a couple where I didn't pick out the grain
Old 08-07-2018, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
I work about four or five blocks down from Chris Reeves. They have a pretty cool little shop around the corner from us and always have a whole handful of sebenza and custom knives up on Deck to be sold right there.
Sweet. It would be cool to see their operation in person.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 08-08-2018, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Got a few today. The GEC gunstock 44's are beautiful with brass and both types of nail nicks/pulls. Plus a hollow ground Regulator.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 PM

fullsizeoutput_e10.jpg

I mentioned to a friend of mine yesterday that I lost my pocket knife and needed to go get another one. He asked me what I was thinking of getting and I mentioned a Kershaw. Well last night at church he comes up to me and hands me this. I think it's a Kershaw Intellect. I think I'm going to like it.
Old 08-10-2018, 4:48 PM

So, after losing my Benchmade 940-1 at work, I went on Ebay to look for a deal. I found this for $80 because the seller thinks it's a fake. After I received it, I'm pretty sure it's real since it looks and feels real to me. Is there any way to tell for sure?

Also just received a Kershaw Skyline Damascus yesterday. I found a guy on Ebay who makes carbon fiber scales for them and ordered those up, instead of the G10. I've never been a fan of the frame lock knives but this thing is sweet!

I also had to clean up my ESEE's because they had some surface rust. I used some Naval Jelly and it came right off. They look really good now. They're the Izula Damascus (pictured in my previous post) and Candiru. I haven't posted Candiru pics so I'll include some here, as well as one or two of the Izula after cleaning.

I think I have a problem 🤣

Edit: I can't get all the pics to upload so the Izula is left out since I already posted it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

SYKCO INFI Dog Soldier 8 Competition Finish Black Resiprene C

Old 08-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post

Gorgeous blade.
Old 08-12-2018, 8:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Seriously, I was drooling over it!!!
Old 08-12-2018, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Nice
Old 08-13-2018, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

That Dog Soldier looks great with the uncoated INFI and that sweet fuller. I know with BUSSE it gets expensive with polished uncoated INFI, but what's the point of a coated INFI blade. I mean, the rust resistance is what makes INFI special IMHO. Super tough but stainless. BUSSE coats blades so they save labor making the steel look presentable. I always thought their coating options were interesting. They have powder coated to satin, and a couple of finishes in-between like a bead blasted finish and a kind-of polished finish. The Regulators seem to be worked more than most under the coatings whether it is parkerization or powder coat. One regulator I stripped looks polished but the spine seems to have a lot of hardness test divots. IMHO SR-101 is as tough as you can get, you just have to take care of it.

I guess I would take a INFI Ratweiler if it was coated just because I don't have one and there's a fuller, hahah. But I would not expect it to be any tougher than a .25" SR-101 version.
Old 08-13-2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusomeDood View Post
So, after losing my Benchmade 940-1 at work, I went on Ebay to look for a deal. I found this for $80 because the seller thinks it's a fake. After I received it, I'm pretty sure it's real since it looks and feels real to me. Is there any way to tell for sure?
Looks just like mine, so not sure why the seller would say it's a fake. My understanding is it's not one of the commonly faked models.

You could always sent it back BM and they'll tell you for sure.
Old 08-13-2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Geek View Post
Looks just like mine, so not sure why the seller would say it's a fake. My understanding is it's not one of the commonly faked models.

You could always sent it back BM and they'll tell you for sure.
I thought about that. I'm pretty sure it's real so I think I'll live with it, for now. Not bad for $80!😎
Old 08-13-2018, 7:34 PM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Gorgeous blade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Seriously, I was drooling over it!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
Nice
I'm diggin' it too.
Quote:
That Dog Soldier looks great with the uncoated INFI and that sweet fuller. I know with BUSSE it gets expensive with polished uncoated INFI, but what's the point of a coated INFI blade. I mean, the rust resistance is what makes INFI special IMHO. Super tough but stainless. BUSSE coats blades so they save labor making the steel look presentable. I always thought their coating options were interesting. They have powder coated to satin, and a couple of finishes in-between like a bead blasted finish and a kind-of polished finish. The Regulators seem to be worked more than most under the coatings whether it is parkerization or powder coat. One regulator I stripped looks polished but the spine seems to have a lot of hardness test divots. IMHO SR-101 is as tough as you can get, you just have to take care of it.

I guess I would take a INFI Ratweiler if it was coated just because I don't have one and there's a fuller, hahah. But I would not expect it to be any tougher than a .25" SR-101 version.
I defer to your experience! I have the Ratmandu, a recent Tali-Whacker LE (which is probably be all, end all for me), this DS8 (caught my eye, got a decent deal) and...

A second Tali-Whacker LE today...this one is just a bit worn, which is good, I'll use it and can satiate my hoarding instinct with the first one. A safe queen and a user for me please!

But seriously, someone stop me, I need to be done for a good while. Unless a Tan DS8 Comp falls into my lap somehow!
Old 08-13-2018, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
A second Tali-Whacker LE today...this one is just a bit worn, which is good, I'll use it and can satiate my hoarding instinct with the first one. A safe queen and a user for me please!

But seriously, someone stop me, I need to be done for a good while. Unless a Tan DS8 Comp falls into my lap somehow!
Busse used / users are awesome for that... Already has scratches or stripped or convexed so beat the hell out of it... redundant Busse’s become collectors or assets because the user lasts forever.

I’m no expert, I just got into them a few years ago and know what I like... typically ugly tough comfortable knives hahah.

Good thing is that you can always get at least what you put into them... probably should have sold my TGLB for 100-200 more. Hope the Forsaken Gemini Comp is cool.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I thought about that. I'm pretty sure it's real so I think I'll live with it, for now. Not bad for $80!😎
Definitely worth rolling the dice on.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Did you get a box? This guy says the fake has a clip that says "Benchmade U.S.A." and the real one says "Benchmade", etc...

If you had a 940-1 and you can't tell, I guess it is pretty good right? Biggest giveaway is the price

Last edited by crufflers; 08-14-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Old 08-14-2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Did you get a box? This guy says the fake has a clip that says "Benchmade U.S.A." and the real one says "Benchmade", etc...

If you had a 940-1 and you can't tell, I guess it is pretty good right? Biggest giveaway is the price

That settles it; mine is fake 😞 And I actually overpaid for it too. It is pretty close but it's definitely fake, according to that video. I guess I don't have to worry about bringing it to work then.

But now I gotta get back on ebay and find the real thing again. Maybe.
Old 08-15-2018, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

I was really close to pulling the trigger on a Swamp Rat direct order...

Ratmandu black/black G10 handles... but I might just keep my Jackmandu with black G10. Yep, not cured. If you sell knives to minimize you hang out where you shouldn't hang out, hahah.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbedtruckin View Post
Attachment 728890Just picked this up about a week ago for edc, till the ka-bar arrives...
That's beautiful Damascus steel there.
Old 08-16-2018, 9:38 PM

I was at the Schenk factory in Idaho Falls today and picked up this 9.75” Kodiak

————————-———

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
TOTAL LENGTH: 9.75” (24.76cm)
BLADE LENGTH: 5” (12.7cm)
HANDLE LENGTH: 4.75” (12.06cm)
WIDTH: 1.25” (3.17cm)
BLADE THICKNESS: .158 (4.01mm)
WEIGHT: 6.4oz (181g)
BLADE TYPE: Drop Point
BLADE STEEL: ELMAX/F-52100
BLADE GRIND: Convex
BLADE FINISH: F-52100- cerakote and Elmax- stone washed
HANDLE MATERIAL: Gray/Black G10
HANDLE FINISH: Hand Contoured
HARDWARE: Micarta Pins and Glued
SHEATH TYPE: Black Leather, Belt Loop
SHEATH WEIGHT: 3.7oz (105g)
CARRY ORIENTATION: Right, Vertical
LANYARD HOLE: No
RETAIL PRICE: $149.99

Here’s their Website,

http://schenkknives.com

http://i68.tinypic.com/a45y0h.jpg

Last edited by MeatyMac; 08-19-2018 at 8:43 PM..
Old 08-25-2018, 7:25 PM

Scored a new to me Tom Mayo custom real TNT on the secondary market. Tom makes knives that are the TNT design Titanium frame locks, but this one has a Talonite blade, so Titanium & Talonite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0617.jpg (96.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0618.jpg (96.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0619.jpg (88.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 09-23-2018 at 2:19 PM..
Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
Scored a new to me Tom Mayo custom real TNT on the secondary market. Tom makes knives that are the TNT design Titanium frame locks, but this one has a Talonite blade, so Titanium & Talonite
^^^

IMG_20180825_15121.jpg
Old 09-07-2018, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Candiru. I haven't posted Candiru pics so I'll include some here, as well as one or two of the Izula after cleaning.
I am liking that Candiru. I am starting to appreciate the smaller fixed blades. I might keep my Mean Street Ergo BG... have kydex incoming for that one. My 311 is long gone though.
Old 09-07-2018, 3:29 PM

Promate Barracuda Sharp Tip Titanium Diving Knife (5“)

Last edited by DolphinFan; 09-07-2018 at 9:30 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 6:58 PM

Gone a little knife buying binge recently. Just cheap but functional knives that vary in size/purpose to round out my collection.

Delivery pending on a variety of cheap knives that I just ordered from the Knife Center:

Cold Steel 43XL Urban Edge Push Dagger 2-1/2" Plain Blade

Kershaw 1302BW Lifter Assisted Flipper Knife 3.375" Blackwash Tanto Blade

Smith & Wesson SWMP10G M&P Flipper 3.87" Gray Drop Point Blade, Aluminum Handles, Strap Cutter, Glass Breaker

Kershaw 2330BLK Al Mar AM-4 Assisted Flipper 3.5" Black Spear Point Blade

Also bought one of these at Sportsman's Warehouse:

M16® - 04Z TANTO LARGE -- Designed by Kit Carson in Vine Grove, Kentucky

Last edited by sgt1372; 09-07-2018 at 7:12 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Gone a little knife buying binge recently. Just cheap but functional knives that vary in size/purpose to round out my collection.
Some nice ones. I didn't like the Lifter though. Not a fan of that whole series from Kershaw. QC is sporadic though. You might have got a good one.

Those CRKT's remind me of the Colt Cobra's (United) I carried forever.

Last edited by crufflers; 09-07-2018 at 8:55 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I got my kydex for the Busse Mean Street Ergo G-10... great fit

Old 09-08-2018, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Who’s kydex?
Old 09-08-2018, 9:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Who’s kydex?
I tried a new place because he listed the exact knife I have without sending it in. Most Kydex benders do not keep these models forever. Prices reasonable, pics looked great, nice thumb breaks, etc... fit and finish is great. That is a small sheath, but only $25 shipped and took a couple weeks.

7rattlesbushcraft.com
Old 09-08-2018, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I tried a new place because he listed the exact knife I have without sending it in. Most Kydex benders do not keep these models forever. Prices reasonable, pics looked great, nice thumb breaks, etc... fit and finish is great. That is a small sheath, but only $25 shipped and took a couple weeks.

7rattlesbushcraft.com
Can’t beat that, I got a buybrown sheath for my silent knight and although it is a sweet sheath it was a bit pricey. I got two more Busse’s on order so maybe I look this guy up. I know brown has most of the Busse one in stock as well so like u said u don’t have to send ur knife off.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Can’t beat that, I got a buybrown sheath for my silent knight and although it is a sweet sheath it was a bit pricey. I got two more Busse’s on order so maybe I look this guy up. I know brown has most of the Busse one in stock as well so like u said u don’t have to send ur knife off.
Yeah he has a made to order section and a ready to ship section... his site is kind hard to navigate all choices.

I have a Forsaken Gemini Comp finish incoming that has been pending shipment forever - payment taken a while back. I guess a 6 month turn is not bad if it gets here this month. I've had these take twice as long. I hope the logo etch is as clean as the pics. I love a clean etch on a bare blade. Some like the HOGB8 I had are not visible and might as well be sterile. When you strip them you can etch as deep as you want before the stripper.

I have a leather TG sheath I will try on the Forsaken or maybe a SPEC-OPS or AZW, Brown order. Welke hasn't been getting every single new Busse release. Understandable with all the models that pop up. His stuff is right up there with anyone.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Yep, I’ve got a Forsaken Gemini coming as well coated w/red& black G10 then the follow up to that is a nuclear Urgent Fury w/green&black G10.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yep, I’ve got a Forsaken Gemini coming as well coated w/red& black G10 then the follow up to that is a nuclear Urgent Fury w/green&black G10.
I had to look that one up, hahah. Nice blade shape. Some of the recent stuff looks like it is for fighting dragon's or Orks, hahah. That looks nice. Their mulit-color G10 is really nice. My Forsaken is the green micarta.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I had to look that one up, hahah. Nice blade shape. Some of the recent stuff looks like it is for fighting dragon's or Orks, hahah. That looks nice. Their mulit-color G10 is really nice. My Forsaken is the green micarta.

Yea that dagger they had just a bit ago was pretty cool looking but I honestly see no practical purpose for it what so ever other than for just collection purposes. Granted my Silent Knight is pretty exotic but dam that thing was just to sexy I couldn’t pass it up and it was my first Busse purchase.

I am waiting for some SYKCO releases.