Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-11-2018, 7:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Perazzi High Tech RS

After shooting trap with an autoloader (Benelli Supersport) for about 5 years, I finally decided to make the switch to an O/U shotgun. While I do pretty well with the auto, it was getting to be too much of a hassle when shooting doubles with it. So I visited The Grand American last year, for those who do not know what that is, it is the largest Trap Shooting even in US with lots of manufacturers you can visit and try guns out for free.

Spent 3 days testing out various shotguns but ultimately, the Perazzi High Tech RS combo won me over. It took 10 months for me to finally get the gun as the Perazzi is custom build for me. When it arrived, it came in a surprisingly hefty Negrini case weighing 25lbs in sharp bright red color and the lettering "Perazzi HIGH TECH" on its side.

You'll find quite a bit of goodies inside; swag stickers, extra leaf springs and tools, tools for removing the stock, adjusting the comb, washers for comb adjustments, grease and as a fine touch, also a couple of Perazzi branded snap caps. Perazzi recommends that you store the gun with the trigger spring released to extend its life. I guess that's a thing for their leaf spring triggers.

I ordered mine with chrome receiver, chrome lever and dark blue lettering. The cell phone photo shows the lettering as kind-of black but it is dark blue.

The stock is also engraved with the Perazzi HIGH TECH RS lettering.

Ordered as the High Tech RS Combo, it came with an unsingle and O/U barrel. 34 inch and 31.5 inch respectively. Interestingly, when in unsingle configuration, the gun weights 8.8lbs but when in O/U configuration, it weighs less at 8.6lbs. The extra inches on the barrel and the high rib adds a fair bit of weight.

One detail that existing Perazzi owneers might be interested in, is that the checkering on the pistol grip is now larger. I did not know this until another Perazzi owner at my club told me about this. See picture below:

I did not have to do any adjustments on the gun itself. Straight from the factory, the gun was configured to shoot 50/50 which is exactly how I shoot with my Benelli Supersport. The only thing I had to do, is to tighten the screws on the adjustable comb as they came loose after a couple of rounds. The tool required is part of the case so it was an easy fix.

This gun represents a very drastic shift for me. The weight difference itself is very apparent, the Benelli weights 7.5lbs and the Perazzi comes in at 8.8lbs in unsingle configuration. The trigger is also very different, the Benelli has a heavy 7.5lbs pull but the Perazzi's leaf spring trigger is so light that my Lyman trigger gauge would not register it! When I first handled the gun on the range, I had to very careful not to pull the trigger too early. It becomes very comfortable after a few shots however.

The felt recoil is the most interesting part. I used a heavy load, Winchester #8 1 1/8oz loads at 1200fps but very little recoil was felt. I was half expecting to be pounded but it felt really good, very soft touch on the shoulder and it seems the gun vibrates just a tad when you fire instead of slamming back. I believe this is the work of masters at Perazzi; both their employees at The Grand who measured me at their store, and their master craftsman and women in their Italian factory who translated those measurements into a finely crafted gun that is basically molded to my body. When this happens, recoil becomes a non-issue. While I knew about gun fit and how it affects my shooting, it isn't until I shouldered this custom made Perazzi that I truly understand why it matters.

The result: scored a 25 straight on my 2nd round with this gun, followed by a 24 on the 3rd round.

Yes, it is THAT good. Even when going from shooting a semi-auto for 5 years into a completely different gun, if the gun fits you perfectly like a Perazzi, you'll have no issues with it.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:12 AM

That is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 12:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

that is beautiful!!!

Monday night league starts anew tonight - you should bring it out & show it off

Last edited by Bastard; 06-11-2018 at 1:07 PM..
Old 06-11-2018, 8:59 PM

Very nice looking gun. Almost impossible to explain to someone why there worth the money until you shoot a purpose built gun. Perazzi's are also built to last and you will be handing the gun down to your heirs. I have been shooting the same Perazzi TM1 and MX8 for over 30 years. With the TM1 i have shot over 200.000 registered targets and no gun malfunctions. The MX8 needs trigger springs once in a while but that's a known maintenance item and a 3 minuet fix.

Last edited by Ahansom; 06-11-2018 at 9:05 PM..
Old 06-11-2018, 9:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wow, that's a beaut! Congrats.

Wish I could afford something like that. I'm stuck with the lesser expensive BSA (Spain) O/U.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 06-11-2018, 9:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastard View Post

that is beautiful!!!

Monday night league starts anew tonight - you should bring it out & show it off
Thanks, I wish I can make it to a league shoot regularly but my work requires frequent travels. I'll sneak in and shoot during week days sometimes whenever I can take off and isn't required to travel.
Old 06-12-2018, 6:13 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

congratulations -- that is a beautiful shotgun! would love to see it in person the next time there is a South Bay shoot!
Old 06-12-2018, 7:04 PM

What a bute, I wonder how is it compare to A300
YSR, any input?
Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats Bear. Nice way to treat yourself.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 06-13-2018, 6:02 AM

Congratulation indeed Bigbearbear! Fantastic gun that you are obviously already enjoying.

As youíve discovered, a proper fitting gun that naturally shoots where youíre looking can be be a downright giddy experience!

Good luck, safe shooting, and enjoy your new shooting partner.

Ps. Iím so envious.
Old 06-13-2018, 6:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyCat View Post
What a bute, I wonder how is it compare to A300
YSR, any input?
Sure, it's like a Toyota Camry, and a Ferrari. Both will get you where you want to go, one is a purpose built, hand built, narrowly focused tool, the other is a Toyota

One costs about $750, the other costs about $12,000. One is an instant heirloom, one is grandpa's ford truck. One is art, one is Mad Magazine.

Both have their place in the game.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 06-13-2018 at 6:13 AM..
Old 06-13-2018, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
Thanks, I wish I can make it to a league shoot regularly but my work requires frequent travels. I'll sneak in and shoot during week days sometimes whenever I can take off and isn't required to travel.
Where do you guys shoot?
Old 06-13-2018, 9:09 AM

A Perazzi is an endgame dream gun for me. Congrats OP.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
The result: scored a 25 straight on my 2nd round with this gun, followed by a 24 on the 3rd round.

Yes, it is THAT good. Even when going from shooting a semi-auto for 5 years into a completely different gun, if the gun fits you perfectly like a Perazzi, you'll have no issues with it.
damn! I can buy a game!!!! I have a browning citori o/u but only 20ga. i've been considering an o/u 12ga. i joined trap league again after a little less than 2 yrs since I shot.

yours is beautiful! i'll be coming from a beretta al391 teknys gold sporting
Old 06-13-2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
One costs about $750,
Nope, much less, one NIB sitting in "for sale" for $650 and no one wants to buy it.
I'd say 500?
But anyway, a beautiful gun and i guess it was much more than 12K.

OP, enjoy it while you can, I just lost very close family member and recognised the life is too short to waste it on inferior things.