Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-12-2018, 5:27 PM

Anybody have a minor mishap or two to discuss with the CCW deputies & still get approved? Specifically, I had an incident (misdemeanor battery complaint) three years ago which landed me in front of a city attorney, though no charges were ever filed. My official record is spotless. Mine is even more in depth than others as I have zero complaints or actions from a securities trader position, with half a dozen licenses being scrutinized actively, for over two decades. Other than the complaint, I do need to take some meds, buty driving is unrestricted, and my docs will advocate for my approval. Looking for an uplifting story with somewhat parallel type specifics. If not, the truth will suffice

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2018, 7:15 PM
To clear, just rack once✔
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criso View Post
Does anyone know how long an amendmant takes? I’m trying to add a gun. Also do you have to redo your picture and fingerprint too? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Takes a day or two. Depending on when you submit I’m sure. Yes you take a new picture and no to fingerprint.
Take a look at one of my previous posts on how long it takes. I did it a couple of weeks ago.

...and yes, they do take a fingerprint (both at the certification and at the OCSD).

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-13-2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny b View Post
Anybody have a minor mishap or two to discuss with the CCW deputies & still get approved? Specifically, I had an incident (misdemeanor battery complaint) three years ago which landed me in front of a city attorney, though no charges were ever filed. My official record is spotless. Mine is even more in depth than others as I have zero complaints or actions from a securities trader position, with half a dozen licenses being scrutinized actively, for over two decades. Other than the complaint, I do need to take some meds, buty driving is unrestricted, and my docs will advocate for my approval. Looking for an uplifting story with somewhat parallel type specifics. If not, the truth will suffice

Thanks.
I am not approved yet, so can't give you a definitive answer, but I had an arrest 3 years ago for Drunk in Public, which was later dismissed in court. I was honest about it with the interviewing officer and he said it shouldn't be an issue. Other than that, my record is clean as can be. I guess only time will tell though...

I can't speak to the meds though; the way I understand it you cannot carry a CCW while on any meds that can impair, so if you are required to take them all the time then that may be your bigger issue depending on what they are.
Old 06-13-2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
I am not approved yet, so can't give you a definitive answer, but I had an arrest 3 years ago for Drunk in Public, which was later dismissed in court. I was honest about it with the interviewing officer and he said it shouldn't be an issue. Other than that, my record is clean as can be. I guess only time will tell though...

I can't speak to the meds though; the way I understand it you cannot carry a CCW while on any meds that can impair, so if you are required to take them all the time then that may be your bigger issue depending on what they are.

Thank you.
Old 06-13-2018, 5:26 PM

So I have some good news for OC applicants... The department appears to have accelerated the process significantly - below is my timeline.

Application submitted: 6/2
Initial Interview: 6/5
Live Scan: 6/5
Additional Requested Documentation Uploaded: 6/7
Training: 6/9 - 6/10
Training Certicate Uploaded: 6/11
Permit Approved for Pickup: 6/13

Total of 11 days from application to final approval, with most of the time waiting on me. I am beyond impressed with the process and speed at which everything happened.

For anyone out there hesitating, I'd say just do it. They we're extremely helpful to me and nobody can complain with the process taking only 11 days!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ssick92; 06-13-2018 at 6:26 PM..
Old 06-15-2018, 7:16 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

So, it looks like we might have a runoff election for Sheriff in November. If Barnes had won >50.0% of the votes in the primary he would have won by default. Right now he's at 49.9% against Duke Nguyen, and slipping as they count more and more votes.

Duke Nguyen is anti-CCW. He says on his website "I am not against CCWs or a citizen’s right to bear arms. However, I do believe that we need to have a strong and transparent review process for all whom apply. It does not appear that this has been the case."

Pay close attention to the last line... that's doublespeak for him saying "I want to end OCSD's generous shall-issue policy". He worked for LA County for pete's sake, so it's not hard to tell where he stands.

What do we think of Nguyen's chances in November? Are we pretty ****ed if he gets into a run-off against Barnes? If Nguyen wins, does he have the authority to revoke everyone's CCW if he sees fit?
Old 06-16-2018, 7:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
So, it looks like we might have a runoff election for Sheriff in November. If Barnes had won >50.0% of the votes in the primary he would have won by default. Right now he's at 49.9% against Duke Nguyen, and slipping as they count more and more votes.

Duke Nguyen is anti-CCW. He says on his website "I am not against CCWs or a citizen’s right to bear arms. However, I do believe that we need to have a strong and transparent review process for all whom apply. It does not appear that this has been the case."

Pay close attention to the last line... that's doublespeak for him saying "I want to end OCSD's generous shall-issue policy". He worked for LA County for pete's sake, so it's not hard to tell where he stands.

What do we think of Nguyen's chances in November? Are we pretty ****ed if he gets into a run-off against Barnes? If Nguyen wins, does he have the authority to revoke everyone's CCW if he sees fit?
Even if there is a run off election Barnes is ahead of Nguyen by a significant margin so I would not worry too much. Barnes WILL beat Nguyen in any run off IMO!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 06-16-2018, 7:51 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Even if there is a run off election Barnes is ahead of Nguyen by a significant margin so I would not worry too much. Barnes WILL beat Nguyen in any run off IMO!
I sure hope you're right! A lot of people seem to dislike him over some of the small scandals that have happened in OCSD.
Old 06-16-2018, 8:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I sure hope you're right! A lot of people seem to dislike him over some of the small scandals that have happened in OCSD.
Last time I looked Barnes was up over double the amount of votes that Nguyen had. That was before the election on the 5th, however, it was still quite significant. Let us hope that when the final vote count is in Barnes is over 50% and its a done deal!
Old 06-16-2018, 1:12 PM

Recent check shows they still have 43,275 votes to count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

So where its the vote count stand on the election for sheriff?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:26 AM

As if today. Barnes is at 49.6 percent and Ngyun at 30.9 percent.

Harrington is at 19.4

Old 06-20-2018, 11:27 AM

26,000 ballots left to count

Old 06-20-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
As if today. Barnes is at 49.6 percent and Ngyun at 30.9 percent.

Harrington is at 19.4

Well even if Barnes doesn't win outright, it's pretty safe to say that the Harrington voters will be voting for Barnes in the runoff. I voted for Harrington, mostly because of his stance on Shall Issue CCW permits. I will be voting for Barnes in a runoff if it comes to that.

I'm not too worried about this one... The Governor race is where we're screwed.

Old 06-20-2018, 3:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well even if Barnes doesn't win outright, it's pretty safe to say that the Harrington voters will be voting for Barnes in the runoff. I voted for Harrington, mostly because of his stance on Shall Issue CCW permits. I will be voting for Barnes in a runoff if it comes to that.

I'm not too worried about this one... The Governor race is where we're screwed.

You should have voted for Barnes. He is the one that set up the current CCW unit as it exists today. It should be obvious to even the most mentally challenged among us (nothing personal!) that Barnes is pro CCW as evidenced by the existing 96% approval rate for CCW issuance in Orange County. A vote for Harrington (Who has ZERO chance of winning!) will result in a runoff election for a man who is obviously pro CCW. Just sayin!

Yes, I am aware that everyone has the right to vote for whom they choose. That said, you wasted your vote IMO. Just sayin!!!
Old 06-20-2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
You should have voted for Barnes. He is the one that set up the current CCW unit as it exists today. It should be obvious to even the most mentally challenged among us (nothing personal!) that Barnes is pro CCW as evidenced by the existing 96% approval rate for CCW issuance in Orange County. A vote for Harrington (Who has ZERO chance of winning!) will result in a runoff election for a man who is obviously pro CCW. Just sayin!

Yes, I am aware that everyone has the right to vote for whom they choose. That said, you wasted your vote IMO. Just sayin!!!
I don't vote that way. I vote for who I think is the best candidate. I understand Barnes has done some great things, and is mostly responsible for the policy that allows me to have my CCW now, but I still don't think it's far enough. I shouldn't have to prove that I need good cause at all.

I also voted for Travis Allen, and I don't consider that a wasted vote either. Some may disagree but I will always vote for who I want to win, not who I think is going to win.

Old 06-20-2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
I don't vote that way. I vote for who I think is the best candidate. I understand Barnes has done some great things, and is mostly responsible for the policy that allows me to have my CCW now, but I still don't think it's far enough. I shouldn't have to prove that I need good cause at all.

I also voted for Travis Allen, and I don't consider that a wasted vote either. Some may disagree but I will always vote for who I want to win, not who I think is going to win.

“Good cause” is something that is regulated in the Penal Code. A sheriff cannot make it shall issue. That is at the state level. Barnes has gotten OCSD as close to shall issue as possible. 96% approval as mentioned.

Harrington should have known that already. And if he did, he should have said that in his campaign.

Go team Barnes!

Old 06-20-2018, 9:29 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

I didn’t mean to take this thread off the rails! I was just a little uneasy upon seeing that Duke Nguyen is against CCW permits.

Let’s all make sure to vote Barnes in November.
Old 06-20-2018, 9:37 PM

as far as I'm concerned, welcome information and completely relevant to topic, thank y'all for the updates!

btw, picked up my renewal last week, in n out less than 15 minutes, that crew's running like a well oiled machine..

Old 06-21-2018, 5:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

[QUOTE=Yodaman;21786329]“Good cause” is something that is regulated in the Penal Code. A sheriff cannot make it shall issue. That is at the state level. Barnes has gotten OCSD as close to shall issue as possible. 96% approval as mentioned.

Harrington should have known that already. And if he did, he should have said that in his campaign.

Go team Barnes!

1000% true!!!

At the Costa Mesa gun show I spoke with Barnes and he explained this exact same thing to me. The California AG is informing all agencies that "Personal Protection" will no longer fly for a GC statement. An applicant must articulate something. You can expect to see those changes made state wide for those agencies that now issue for PP. The IA cannot decide to go shall issue as state law does not allow for this. There must be a GC statement. It can be anything the IA wants but there must be something beyond PP. Those who take the time to inform themselves of this would already know that!!!!!!!

Barnes is the best candidate for the job for many other reasons besides his stance on CCW. A vote for any other candidate is a waste of a vote!

Barnes WILL win in a runoff but it would be nice if it did not have to happen and he received more than 50% of the vote!
Old 06-21-2018, 6:59 AM

Barnes is at 49.5% as of today

Old 06-22-2018, 2:01 PM

Crazy the Barnes lost that much ground from write-ins.

On a positive note, I picked up my license yesterday. Total time was about 6 weeks, soup-to-nuts. I'm hearing that some applications are taking as little as 1-2 weeks.
Old 06-22-2018, 2:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbruin View Post

On a positive note, I picked up my license yesterday. Total time was about 6 weeks, soup-to-nuts. I'm hearing that some applications are taking as little as 1-2 weeks.
You can thank Undersheriff Barnes for that!
Old 06-22-2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:

Mine took 11 days from initial application to permit approval, and I hadn't done training or livescan prior to my interview. That department is running unbelievably smooth right now.

Old 06-25-2018, 7:59 AM

Quote:
So I have some good news for OC applicants... The department appears to have accelerated the process significantly - below is my timeline.

Application submitted: 6/2
Initial Interview: 6/5
Live Scan: 6/5
Additional Requested Documentation Uploaded: 6/7
Training: 6/9 - 6/10
Training Certicate Uploaded: 6/11
Permit Approved for Pickup: 6/13

Total of 11 days from application to final approval, with most of the time waiting on me. I am beyond impressed with the process and speed at which everything happened.

For anyone out there hesitating, I'd say just do it. They we're extremely helpful to me and nobody can complain with the process taking only 11 days!

My brother is applying and has finished his course. He needs help for a “good cause” statement though. Mine was in San Bernardino and i had a really good “good cause”, but he just wants to carry for self defense. Any good generic “good causes” that you’ve seen/heard work with the new accelerated application?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiqui View Post
My brother is applying and has finished his course. He needs help for a “good cause” statement though. Mine was in San Bernardino and i had a really good “good cause”, but he just wants to carry for self defense. Any good generic “good causes” that you’ve seen/heard work with the new accelerated application?

Good cause hasn't changed with the application process, just the speed at which everything is reviewed and approved.

There a ton of other threads here about good cause but I'm on mobile so can't pull them up right now. Almost anything works; as long as he can articulate it, it should be OK regardless of what it is for.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiqui View Post

There is no cut and paste and no not everything will work. You need to explain and prove why you are more at risk then any other joe six pack. Articulate it and supply documents supporting your cause.

If i am a dj with expensive equipment your gonna need to show reciepts and some gigs in compton or off crenshaw to help support your claim. Each cause is unique to each person

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 06-26-2018, 2:08 PM

My renewal info

About a month, not really any timelines just docs submitted then a email to pickup.
My previous qualified guns remained on and the new ones added as well. I was told whatever you qualified with (renewal) was what would be on the renewal but this was wrong.
I picked up early and was told to keep my current one till it expires, then use the new one.
My occupation is listed on the new one also, not sure why.
They also gave me 2 paper licenses to keep in the car or where ever in case i forget my plastic one.
Was told even a traffic stop i should send an email that i got a ticket.

Staff was wonderful as always

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 06-26-2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
My renewal info

About a month, not really any timelines just docs submitted then a email to pickup.
My previous qualified guns remained on and the new ones added as well. I was told whatever you qualified with (renewal) was what would be on the renewal but this was wrong.
I picked up early and was told to keep my current one till it expires, then use the new one.
My occupation is listed on the new one also, not sure why.
They also gave me 2 paper licenses to keep in the car or where ever in case i forget my plastic one.
Was told even a traffic stop i should send an email that i got a ticket.

Staff was wonderful as always
You have to let them know in writing when you make any official contact with any Peace Officer. Regardless if you get a citation or not!
Old 06-27-2018, 7:16 AM

OCSD does not want to hear from some other jurisdiction or political activist that their permittee has committed some kind of offense. This is a proactive monitoring of their licensees. It's a CYA.
Old 06-27-2018, 7:51 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Everyone I personally know who has ever mailed in a ballot is a Democrat. I’m talking about ten people here. I have no idea why that is, but yeah, Barnes’ lead started to fall very sharply once the mail-ins got counted.
Old 06-27-2018, 8:29 PM

Barnes is at 49.4% with no votes left to count.

Nguyen is at 19.5%

Old 06-27-2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Everyone I personally know who has ever mailed in a ballot is a Democrat. I’m talking about ten people here. I have no idea why that is, but yeah, Barnes’ lead started to fall very sharply once the mail-ins got counted.
I mailed in and voted all Republican. I like it for convenience but would rather everyone be required to vote in person with a voter ID. That is the only way to ensure these vote counts are legit.

Old 06-27-2018, 9:02 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I mailed in and voted all Republican. I like it for convenience but would rather everyone be required to vote in person with a voter ID. That is the only way to ensure these vote counts are legit.

I agree, but people get all up in arms any time you talk about requiring an ID to vote. Nevermind the fact that we have to present 10 different kinds of ID to buy a gun, which is a constitutional right...
Old 06-28-2018, 4:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Barnes is at 49.4% with no votes left to count.

Nguyen is at 19.5%

Barnes will crush Nguyen in the run off!
Old 07-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Signal Out of Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Barnes will crush Nguyen in the run off!

I sure hope so, but Hillary Clinton said the same thing about Donald Trump, yet here we are.

For Barnes’s sake, and for the sake of all of us in OC with CCWs, I hope he takes nothing for granted and campaigns his tail off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 07-01-2018, 1:58 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Remember that Duke Nguyen is blatantly anti-CCW.

(the more times that phrase gets repeated, the higher it'll appear as a search result on Google when someone searches for Nguyen's CCW position.)
Old 07-02-2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:

Mine took 9 weeks from application to approval. I did the live-scan right after the initial application. I had life stuff and couldn't take the class until a month after my initial application. I submitted the training cert and 4 weeks later got the email to pick up the license.

I got the email at 4pm on a Friday before a three day weekend! Longest 3 days!

9 weeks is still pretty impressive considering I didn't think we'd ever be able to do this!

As an aside.. anyone who voted Allen would most likely vote for Barnes!
Old 07-02-2018, 7:43 PM

Default CPL Timeline

I wanted to provide my timeline and experience dealing with Orange County. The staff is running at an extremely fast pace right now. From start to finish it took 16 days and was a very smooth process dealing with the OC Police Department. All the staff are courteous, reply to the online permit system promptly, and genuinely want to help you succeed.

9 June - Initial Application Submitted
9 June - Livescan Appointment
13 June - Initial Interview
15 June - Conditional Approval
23 June - Training
24 June - Approved
25 June - Permit Picked Up
Old 07-03-2018, 4:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adame24 View Post
I wanted to provide my timeline and experience dealing with Orange County. The staff is running at an extremely fast pace right now. From start to finish it took 16 days and was a very smooth process dealing with the OC Police Department. All the staff are courteous, reply to the online permit system promptly, and genuinely want to help you succeed.

9 June - Initial Application Submitted
9 June - Livescan Appointment
13 June - Initial Interview
15 June - Conditional Approval
23 June - Training
24 June - Approved
25 June - Permit Picked Up
You mean OCSD don't you?