Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-12-2018, 8:39 PM

Default Dillon 650 xl help

hello everyone I have a Dillon 650xl I have reloaded over 10k pistol rounds no problem I started reloading 223
For about 6months now and I can't seem to get it right my current problem is I can't get the case to seat a primer I preped cases with case lube swaged and de premed and cleaned primer pockets and I'm still getting no primers on 4 out of ten bullets and powder every were please help

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 10:23 PM

Maybe you are not swaging enough to take the crimp out completely. Have you used a Ballistic Tool Swage Gauge? It is basically a GO/NO GO primer pocket gauge. Look at the brass that is giving you the problems. If your brass is Lake City, Wolf, some Federal, other military brass, it will need swaging. If the brass is R-P, Hornady, etc and still giving you issues, then I'm not sure of your issue.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...prod71030.aspx

Thats the only thing that I can think of at the moment. Some 9mm needs to be swaged as well.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:40 PM

I don't think there's enough information to know for sure, your description of 4 out of 10 cases not being primed is pretty vague. With a case in the primer seating stage, I would do the following:
1. remove the case from the shell plate and verify a new primer is the rotary primer disc ready to seat
2. If there is no primer in the disc, then the problem is in the primer feeding mechanism.
3. If there is a primer, are you properly pushing the lever all the way back to seat it? You should feel the primer seating, after seating the primer, pull the case and verify its in. If the case is not properly swaged you will feel a lot more resistance, and possibly crunch the primer. My guess is you aren't getting the primers to feed correctly into the rotary primer disc.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
hello everyone I have a Dillon 650xl I have reloaded over 10k pistol rounds no problem I started reloading 223
For about 6months now and I can't seem to get it right my current problem is I can't get the case to seat a primer I preped cases with case lube swaged and de premed and cleaned primer pockets and I'm still getting no primers on 4 out of ten bullets and powder every were please help
You need to further define what's happening or not happening..
For example, is your primer system not fully indexing and therefore there is no primer under the case when the primer seater would be pushing it into the case, or are the primers falling out of the cases after they are pressed into the cases?

These are dramatically different reasons to have the same problem...

More questions/observations:
Are you getting a lot of primers down the chute that are not getting pressed into cases?
Do you have some spent primers or other crud around the ram that is limiting your ability to press the handle backwards to seat a primer?
Is your primer tube tip damaged and not dropping primers into the primer carrier wheel?
Are you running the plastic rod on top of your primer stack?
The weight of the rod helps the primers move through the primer tube tip.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-13-2018, 12:39 AM

I am not getting primers on brass and I do see the primers piling up on the chute

Old 06-13-2018, 12:41 AM

I do have the plastic rod in primer tube and its a whole new primer Assembly my last one went kaboom do to not swaging brass so I really check and make sure they are swaged

Old 06-13-2018, 5:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You need that primer pocket guage.
Old 06-13-2018, 6:36 AM

ordered it already

Old 06-13-2018, 8:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I do see the primers piling up on the chute.
If they are piling up in the chute, that means they are making it into the disc but NOT making it into the cases.
Unless the primer pockets are so big that they will not hold primers, you have an indexing problem, a user problem (not pressing the handle between strokes) or a mechanical blockage that makes you THINK you pressed a primer into a case.
Is the primer carrier disc indexing properly?

Next you need to look for what is stopping the press from pushing a primer into the case.
Either YOU are not pressing the press handle or something is getting in the way of the mechanical movement and blocking the ram travel.
Are there a bunch of spent primers down below the shellplate platform where the ram goes through the press frame?

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 06-13-2018 at 8:50 AM..
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM

You can over-swage. I'm not sure if you can swage enough so that a new primer will just fall out of the pocket. After you get the swage gauge, check to make the primer pocket is within tolerance.
Check size of primer tube(small/large).
Check full function of primer system without any cases in disc.
Disassemble primer system if needed. I've had various springs fail/break on 650.
Check for proper disc and locator pin size.
Take out and inspect the primer seater assembly.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:40 AM

no they are mostly on chute

Old 06-14-2018, 8:00 PM

maybe I am not setup right is any one near the Downey area that would help me set it up I can give you some money or reloading supplies for your time pm if Intrested

Old 06-14-2018, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Assuming the cases are prepped right, I would ask you, how does the lever push feel when it doesnt seat?

Have you checked if...
1) the primer catches the shell plate when seating?
2) the primer is centered to the shell plate?
3) the case is pushed properly into the shell plate by the primer stage spring loaded case holder? I prefer this set pushing firmly on the case, no space.
4) did you move or upgrade the indexer block?
5) is the shell plate assembled correctly with no washer or spacer between it and the platform?
Old 06-14-2018, 8:35 PM

1yes
2yes
3have not checked
4no
5yes

Old 06-14-2018, 10:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
1yes
Well there is your problem.

Old 06-15-2018, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

^^^^ that part. At a minimum, this results into unseated and flipped primers. At worst, this can result into a primer kaboom.

Solution, center the primer to the shell plate. I don’t have a unit in front of me, but if I remember correctly, this can be addressed by adjusting the indexer block or calibrating the platform (require free tool from Dillon). Calibration is only necessary for units that are older or ones disassembled outside of the factory. My memory ain’t the best.

If #3 is the issue, when doing caliber changes, check if the case is pushed to seat on the shell plate properly. Otherwise, the primer hole will not align the the primer seater.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 06-15-2018 at 9:31 AM..
Old 06-15-2018, 11:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
Solution, center the primer to the shell plate. I don’t have a unit in front of me, but if I remember correctly, this can be addressed by adjusting the indexer block or calibrating the platform (require free tool from Dillon).
Calibration is only necessary for units that are older or ones disassembled outside of the factory.
I thought you only needed to calibrate the shellplate platform (with the Dillon tool) if you had removed the shellplate platform.
He said he replaced the primer system.

Replacing the primer system does NOT require removal of the shellplate platform.
The priming punch screws into the bottom of the shellplate platform so moving the shellplate platform around on the ram does NOT change the alignment of the primer punch in relation to the shellplate platform/shellplate/case head.

A shellplate indexing problem would make the primer seating punch be misaligned to the shellplate/case head.
A primer disc indexing problem would mis-align the primers to the seating punch.

Old 06-16-2018, 4:27 AM
Veteran Member

^^^right on the primer system disassembly.

In troubleshooting, sometimes, problems are caused by factors unintentionally undisclosed. I described other solutions which may help solve the problem if caused by other factors.

For example. I’ve also seen a situation where the weight of an upgraded ergo lever and handle caused the shell plate to move forward just a tad to misalign the primer to the shell plate. A shim under the primer seating spring can help resolve the issue.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 06-16-2018 at 4:31 AM..