Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-12-2018, 9:15 PM

Default AMA Comes Out More Strongly (Ahem) Against Guns

I just saw this piece...

Frustrated AMA adopts sweeping policies to cut gun violence

Quote:
With frustration mounting over lawmakers' inaction on gun control, the American Medical Association on Tuesday pressed for a ban on assault weapons and came out against arming teachers as a way to fight what it calls a public health crisis.

At its annual policymaking meeting, the nation's largest physicians group bowed to unprecedented demands from doctor-members to take a stronger stand on gun violence — a problem the organizations says is as menacing as a lethal infectious disease...
The call for a ban on assault weapons is nothing new; i.e., back in February, I started a thread entitled Medical Profession Wants Assault Weapons Ban. What I found interesting about this, particular piece is some of the snippets it contains...

Quote:
...support for banning assault weapons was overwhelming, with the measure adopted in a 446-99 vote...

While it is no longer viewed as the unified voice of American medicine, the AMA has more clout with politicians and the public than other doctor groups. It counted more than 243,000 members in 2017, up slightly for the seventh straight year. But it represents less than one-quarter of the nation's million-plus physicians...

AMA members cited U.S. government data showing almost 40,000 deaths by gun in 2016, including suicides, and nearly 111,000 gun injuries. Both have been rising in recent years.

By comparison, U.S. deaths from diabetes in 2016 totaled almost 80,000; Alzheimer's, 111,000; and lung disease, 155,000. The leaders are heart disease, with 634,000 deaths in 2016, and cancer, about 600,000.
This was an AP report and I find it interesting they would note those statistics.

To my mind, it means they are going to, potentially, be more 'aggressive' with their voluntary surveys and questioning at the doctors' offices. But, if a 243,000 member organization has more political clout than the NRA with its 5 million-plus members, then the NRA is doing something wrong. Right?
Old 06-12-2018, 9:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

AMA, just like the tiny Bradys, is saying something most politicians want to hear. On the other hand, NRA is saying something they don't want to hear, but often have to, if they don't want to lose re-elections. That's the difference.
Old 06-12-2018, 9:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Seems fitting

share-92011-deaths-seano-323-by-these-496-by-these-10378468.jpg
Old 06-13-2018, 5:38 AM
Veteran Member

Politically, AMA have always been morons.

Most of you are too young to remember, but the official position of the AMA back in the 1970's was that anabolic steroids did nothing to enhance athletic performance.

Their goal was to send a message to young people to stay away from steroids, you'll die, and they won't help you.

Instead, all it did was send a message that the AMA are a bunch of morons, which, as we can all see, is still true to this day.
Old 06-13-2018, 6:29 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
Frustrated AMA adopts sweeping policies to cut gun violence

This was an AP report and I find it interesting they would note those statistics.
Tangent: Something I read on another forum discussing a couple recent celebrity suicides was interesting, I thought. When gathering these types of statistics it might be illustrative to label the cause of death “depression” for suicides by people with a history of depression (or where there wasn’t another motivating factor like unmanaged chronic physical pain / terminal diagnosis.)

It would certainly be more honest than calling it “gun violence.”
Old 06-13-2018, 8:57 AM

the AMA should focus on the 210,000 people killed every year through medical mistakes, not the 50 or so per year from "assault weapons"
Old 06-13-2018, 9:29 AM

^ ... THIS !
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
It would certainly be more honest than calling it “gun violence.”
Except the people who gather the stats on "gun violence" listed Dorner as a "victim" of gun violence, so you know their motivations are not pure.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 06-13-2018, 3:01 PM

Also wanting licensing of gun owners... I don't think you can license a right?

In an unarmed society, the armed criminal is king.
Old 06-14-2018, 6:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If the AMA wants to save lives, they could do a much better job by focusing on reducing medical errors...which would seem to be closer to their core competency.
Old 06-15-2018, 1:59 AM

For a minute I thought you meant the American Motorcycle Association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-16-2018, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

AMA and ABA are just another wing of democrat party.
Not sure what one could call adherents to a globalist, anti gun,make America last agenda !
The word Traitor might work !
Old 06-18-2018, 12:24 PM

I am a doctor, and this is EXACTLY why I am not part of the AMA, or the CMA (California Medical Association). Screw'em.
Old 06-18-2018, 1:39 PM
Veteran Member

And during my 30+ year career as a lawyer I never saw any reason to join the ABA.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old 06-22-2018, 5:10 AM

if the AMA were not partisan hacks they would demand th CDC

1) research the public health costs of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments. A

2) They would also be demanding the CDC look at elevated household violence risk of households which have a criminal domiciled.

3) generally advocate much longer prison sentences since jurisdictions that bother to look find 90% of murder is committed by prior criminals, 80% by prior felons or persons with ten or more arrests
Old 06-28-2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgun View Post
the AMA should focus on the 210,000 people killed every year through medical mistakes, not the 50 or so per year from "assault weapons"
Dianne Feinstein claimed 38 deaths annually between 2004 and 2013 when trying to resurrect the federal ban.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-ban-register
Old 06-28-2018, 10:11 PM

take away liability insurance for certain professions and see how quickly they change their tunes.