Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-10-2018, 7:35 AM

Default Interaction with the public

I like to browse thru the numerous online videos via youtube or others on the different interactions law enforcement has with the public. One thing I see constantly is LE asking for ID in situations when they know the public isnt required to show it. Asking once, uh, so be it, but when its repeated over and over, whats the deal?

Last edited by bcoc2002; 06-10-2018 at 7:36 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-10-2018, 7:51 AM

Pretty vague question with many answers.

One reason I do it and like to see my partners do it is it’s nice to know who I’m talking to or vice versa. If I have had a poor interaction with an individual before, it’s noted and my partners are able to see that when and if they get contacted again. Much like premise history at a house.
Old 06-10-2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
Pretty vague question with many answers.

One reason I do it and like to see my partners do it is itís nice to know who Iím talking to or vice versa. If I have had a poor interaction with an individual before, itís noted and my partners are able to see that when and if they get contacted again. Much like premise history at a house.
+1 for the vagueness of the question. There are many many reasons.
Old 06-10-2018, 4:58 PM

When I'm given an ID, 99.9999999999999999999% of the time, I pretty much stop asking for it...

Last edited by Samuelx; 06-10-2018 at 5:01 PM..
Old 06-10-2018, 6:34 PM

I only asked for the ID when I need to identify the person.
Old 06-10-2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
When I'm given an ID, 99.9999999999999999999% of the time, I pretty much stop asking for it...
Lol!
Old 06-10-2018, 8:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Because with the screwy ways people spell names these days, it makes putting it in your log a lot easier. Many departments require (some places its law) you to log every stop and who you talked to, why, and their identifying information. You can thank all the social justice warriors blaming LE for “profiling” people.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Old 06-12-2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonBear723 View Post
+1 for the vagueness of the question. There are many many reasons.
Thats why I asked. Soo many officers, soo many different ways of vagueness.
Old 06-12-2018, 4:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoc2002 View Post
I like to browse thru the numerous online videos via youtube or others on the different interactions law enforcement has with the public. One thing I see constantly is LE asking for ID in situations when they know the public isnt required to show it. Asking once, uh, so be it, but when its repeated over and over, whats the deal?
How do you know that it's a situation where the public isn't required to show it? Youtube videos often don't show everything and different state laws vary on the subject. So many various situations result in so many various answers.

You can't buy happiness but you can buy guns and that's pretty much the same thing.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Old 06-12-2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
How do you know that it's a situation where the public isn't required to show it? Youtube videos often don't show everything and different state laws vary on the subject. So many various situations result in so many various answers.
Good point. Just because someone says something with confidence does not make them right. More often than not, these YouTube/sidewalk lawyers are wrong.

On the flip side, it does make it a lot easier to write your information down as opposed to asking you every question. Why sit there and ask your name, date of birth, address and so one when its all written in the same card?
Old 06-15-2018, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoc2002 View Post
I'm not a cop.

From what I've seen, cops almost always want to control all interaction with the public. And part of that control is to identify who they are contacting. They also seem to want to exert a sense of control over whomever they are interacting with. And getting the ID from someone is part of that. Its all in line with the "They Know Who you are;" "They Know Where You Live" dominance attempt.

IMNSHO.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.
Old 06-15-2018, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper3142 View Post
I'm not a cop.

From what I've seen, cops almost always want to control all interaction with the public. And part of that control is to identify who they are contacting. They also seem to want to exert a sense of control over whomever they are interacting with. And getting the ID from someone is part of that. Its all in line with the "They Know Who you are;" "They Know Where You Live" dominance attempt.

IMNSHO.
Then why are you posting you ridiculous comments in the LEO Forum?

You can't buy happiness but you can buy guns and that's pretty much the same thing.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Old 06-15-2018, 5:57 PM

He must have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

I can confidently say I never initiate asking for ID until I have reasonable suspicion to detain and identify someone. There are a zillion laws on the books, and I encouraged my trainees to become familiar with local and county muni codes, the penal code, B&P, H&S, W&I, and others. The more educated the cop, the more effective.

Last edited by GizmoSD; 06-15-2018 at 6:04 PM..
Old 06-30-2018, 2:11 PM

I like to tell the sidewalk lawyers, "Fine. If you think I'm violating your (whichever) right, then don't stop me. Let me do what I'm doing and then you can sue me and my agency for Miiiillliiiooonnnnsss of dollars. You're leaving money on the table arguing with me."

Funny, they never do shut up about it and do what I'm asking/directing/ordering. Guess they don't want or don't believe they'll get that big payday. Go figure.