Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-11-2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchan83 View Post
\

2. Has anyone tried to lighten the trigger? I find that it feels like a 2-stage trigger with a very light take-up and then an EXTREMELY heavy break. Even using a bipod, I find my sights moving as I try to squeeze the trigger through what I'm calling the 2nd stage.
No joke! That trigger is TOUGH!

"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us." - George Orwell
Old 04-11-2009, 8:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_lover View Post
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?pid=5984

wonder if they are black mags like these
Same mags but those are plated or stainless, not black. As for the trigger I have a marlin 7000 which is the heavy barrel version. A few years back I worked on the trigger. If I remember right I tweaked some springs and did some polishing and got the trigger down to about 3 and a half maybe 4lbs. The trigger definately is way better than it was. Mark

Last edited by railroader; 04-11-2009 at 9:06 PM..
Old 04-12-2009, 2:17 AM

Is there a magazine loader thingie for the 795?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=172513
Old 04-12-2009, 5:57 AM

Got my dads rifle yesterday and installed the red dot.
So far disappointed with the brightness, at least outside
surrounded by blinding white concrete, the green setting
seemed to show through better then the red. The dot is
huge, like a q tip size, alot bigger then I was expecting,
but probably make it easier for my dad to hit the target
since he has trouble with vision. Couple of pics

Old 04-13-2009, 5:06 PM

So my silly question of the day:

I'm filling out the rebate form and it says to include the proof of purchase sticker from the back of the owners manual...I don't see it in the back of the owners manual or anywhere else! Any advice on where I can find this proof of purchase sticker???
Old 04-13-2009, 5:43 PM

i had trouble locating mine also... on mine, the sticker was attached to the clear plastic bag that the rifle was in, in the box... hopefully you didn't throw that bag away...
Old 04-13-2009, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamanr View Post
i had trouble locating mine also... on mine, the sticker was attached to the clear plastic bag that the rifle was in, in the box... hopefully you didn't throw that bag away...
I hadn't thrown it away yet and that's exactly where mine was also.

Thank you Hondamanr!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 6:50 PM

so is there a rubber houge stock for these rifles
Old 04-13-2009, 8:40 PM

I don't think the 795 has enough of a following yet... trying to find accessories for it has been very difficult.
Old 04-14-2009, 5:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
No joke! That trigger is TOUGH!

Okay, the previous link I gave earlier was the wrong one but gave good pics of disassembling:
http://www.4shared.com/file/27056203...ml%3Cbr%20/%3E

This one tells how to work on the Model 60 trigger and I think that is very similar to the 795:
http://votefordavid.blogspot.com/200...igger-job.html

Single fin mentality
Old 04-14-2009, 6:45 AM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

I don't know if anyone else has covered this, but here goes...

The 795 seems to be an upgraded model 70. The model 70 didn't have a synthetic stock or the feature that holds the bolt open on the last round. The 70 and 795 use the same mags.

I bought my 70 years ago from B5 and payed about $120 for it. It's been a great shooter, and still is. Back then, there were hi-cap 25rnd mags available for it. I bought all that I could and am glad I did. I've added a scope and a bipod lug. I've noticed that over the years, my trigger has almost become a 2 stage. I've figured out where the slack is, then after that is where the hammer drops. The distance isn't much and takes a little bit to find it. This is the best varmit gun I have.

It seems that some are having difficulty finding mags for their 795s. I've got about a half dozen each of the 7rnd and 10rnd mags I could part with.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 04-14-2009, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

Sending you a PM

Single fin mentality
Old 04-15-2009, 6:09 PM

So my dad bought a new barska 3x9 scope from big 5, $40 I think. In about 5 shots had the scope zeroed. I was really surprised with the clarity of the glass. Little foggy at full zoom around the edges but he is mostly using it at 3x which is crystal clear. I like the finger adjustments, instead of using a screw driver. For the price and it came with rings it was really worth it for a plinking scope. The red dot he bought online had power problems so he ditched it right away. Had 1 inch groups at 50 yards and it was really windy, and I was using a backpack for support.
Old 04-15-2009, 7:27 PM

Just picked up mine today!

I read one comment about not using Birchwood gun scrubber or it will damage the trigger group. I was planning on using CLP to do the first cleaning, what have you guys used?

Sweet little rifle, just need to go try it out, hopefully this weekend. I bought 300 rounds of Mini mags to break her in. Also picked up a bore rod, since this is my first .22 anything.
Old 04-16-2009, 7:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah, I posted that. Darn near melted the frickin whole trigger group together. Just flat don't use anything but CLP and hoppes #9 on it. That should be plenty. If you use bore solvent or anything like that, take the trigger group and stock off first.
Old 04-16-2009, 6:05 PM

Thanks Bomb,

I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and give it a good cleaning. I will just use CLP for now as that stuff seems to work well.

Now, I am trying to figure out if I want optics or if I should go with that Tech sight... Hopefully hitting the range this weekend so I am gonna have to pick up a brick as my 300 rounds suddenly doesn't seem like enough!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I just got another 5k rounds at the reno gun show and man its a zoo. Out of 5 wal-marts not a single one had anything I am looking for????
Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 AM

I was out and about yesterday and on my way home stopped into a small shop in Atascadero to see if I could find some mags for my new toy. I figured it was a slim chance and didn't expect to find anything.

To my surprise, they had a few nickel plated 7 rounders (#707046) for $16.99. I should keep the location a secret so I can hoard all the mags for myself, but in the interest of fair play, it was Uncle Ed's Outfitters.

I wasn't sure if these would fit as the 795 was not listed on the package. It did list the 70PSS, 995SS and 70L which I believe are similar. They also look identical to the 10 rounders, just a bit shorter. I bought 1 to try out and will run back for some more if it works.

Check your local gun shop, you might get lucky if you are looking for mags!

Mine definitely needs more upgrades!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack View Post
To my surprise, they had a few nickel plated 7 rounders (#707046) for $16.99. I should keep the location a secret so I can hoard all the mags for myself, but in the interest of fair play, it was Uncle Ed's Outfitters.

I wasn't sure if these would fit as the 795 was not listed on the package. It did list the 70PSS, 995SS and 70L which I believe are similar. They also look identical to the 10 rounders, just a bit shorter. I bought 1 to try out and will run back for some more if it works.
You should be fine. I have found that 7 rounders from my Marlin 925 fit in the 795. However, the reverse is not true: my 10 rounders will not fit in my Marlin 925.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:34 PM

Ordered mine today from B5, $18x otd. I have a model 60 and love it. I haven't cleaned it yet and it's at about 1K rounds...still works like the day I bought it. Maybe I'll clean the 60 now that the 795 is coming. I can't wait.
Old 04-19-2009, 7:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Yeah, I posted that. Darn near melted the frickin whole trigger group together. Just flat don't use anything but CLP and hoppes #9 on it. That should be plenty. If you use bore solvent or anything like that, take the trigger group and stock off first.
I think electronic parts cleaner spray works fine on plastic.

Single fin mentality
Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikidklown View Post
I too picked up a 795 on sale + $20 rebate from big5.
I am in the process of turning it into an MP5 lookalike. It's coming up pretty clean. I will post a pic of it sometime. The transformation is complete I just need to figure out the trigger mechanism.

Ya Pics would be great. How much does it cost to make it look like an MP5? with all the parts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack View Post
Thanks Bomb,

I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and give it a good cleaning. I will just use CLP for now as that stuff seems to work well.

Now, I am trying to figure out if I want optics or if I should go with that Tech sight... Hopefully hitting the range this weekend so I am gonna have to pick up a brick as my 300 rounds suddenly doesn't seem like enough!
Also, since this is my first rifle, how do you take it a part for cleaning? All of my plastic handguns are basically 4 parts- takes a few seconds. But rifle, im not too sure of.

Thanks!

Last edited by doc66; 04-20-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Old 04-20-2009, 1:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you take it down past the action, trigger unit, and stock you're potentially in over your head. I took mine apart ONE time and that will be the last. You don't really have to do much more than go through all the parts with some picks and patches to keep her running smooth. I go through my barrel with patches, copper solvent, and finish it off with CLP and a bore snake about 3-5 times. Then I run one last patch down with a bit of CLP and check to see if any dirt is coming through still. Its just 2 screws, the one on the stock, and the one somewhere behind the trigger unit I believe. I'm not looking at it right now so I can't remember where the rear screw is.
Old 04-20-2009, 8:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

so what kind of scope mount can we put on this thing? i see there's no weaver rail on it, but one that's just a smooth mount. i also read in the rimfire central board some/someone has issues of the mount sliding? I guess this is where the 10/22 might have an advantage where a weaver base can be screwed in from the top?

donut,
mind sharing your setup?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
so what kind of scope mount can we put on this thing? i see there's no weaver rail on it, but one that's just a smooth mount. i also read in the rimfire central board some/someone has issues of the mount sliding? I guess this is where the 10/22 might have an advantage where a weaver base can be screwed in from the top?

donut,
mind sharing your setup?
I put a 10/22 UTG picatinny scope rail on my 795. Drilled and tapped the receiver, and used red Loctite to lock the screws into place. Solid as a rock.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič KalaÅ¡nikov -

Last edited by bigthaiboy; 04-21-2009 at 10:18 AM..
Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
donut,
mind sharing your setup?
It's a plain Jane 795 with a Shooter's Ridge Rock Mount tripod (9"-13"), Tasco something-or-other from Wally-World (in the blister pack) and Leupold Rifleman rimfire rings. I returned the scope since the elevation didn't seem to adjust very well, and not being adjustable objective, sucked at 25 yards. It stayed put when it was mounted, though.

I'm not sure if I'm going to leave it alone, put on another scope, or order a set of tech sights for it.

"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us." - George Orwell
Old 04-21-2009, 1:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

the more I read on this, the more discouraging it becomes. I'm ready to plunk some change on this since I wanted to get a remy 870 express on the same dros, but maybe i'll just wait a little while longer though I'd lose on the $25 rebate. i can't seem to get consensus or confidence inspiring info on the rings and scope. well, i think i got the scope narrowed odwn, but almost everyone i read about is complaining about the rings sliding. none seem to stick. anyone else really have this issue? this rifle will get shot a lot! like my gsg..
Old 04-21-2009, 2:29 PM

As I said in my PM, mine slid, but it was only hand tight and only slid after 2 range sessions. I think lock-tite and being tightened with a screwdriver will solve the problem, it was a LOT more secure after that...and hell, the scope I got was only about 30 bucks anyway...so with the money you're getting back from the rebate, even if you didn't like it...you really haven't lost much.
Old 04-21-2009, 3:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

true.. LOL.. probably read a little too much trying to find the right scope rings that had positive reviews, and came across the concerning stuff.
Old 04-21-2009, 4:28 PM

Default Help on the rebate

Hi,

I'd like to buy the 795 from Big5, but the rebate says it expires on April 30th.
Having never dealt with Big5, do you immediately get a receipt when you buy or after your 10 day wait? Thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyonder View Post
Hi,

I'd like to buy the 795 from Big5, but the rebate says it expires on April 30th.
Having never dealt with Big5, do you immediately get a receipt when you buy or after your 10 day wait? Thanks
You get the receipt immediately, but you will need tthe bag the rifle comes in for your proof of purchase, so you'll have to wait the 10 days for that.

You could technically buy these rifles the last day of the rebate (4/30/09) and still have the proof of purchase in time to get the $20 back since Marlin has to receive all of the info by 5/15/09
Old 04-21-2009, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyonder View Post
Hi,

if you pay for it in full you should be able to take the tag from the bag and mail it in, im sure big 5 wouldnt mind. ask them.

So far 3 big 5's in my area are totally out of 22 ammo. Bone dry.
Old 04-21-2009, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_lover View Post
if you pay for it in full you should be able to take the tag from the bag and mail it in, im sure big 5 wouldnt mind. ask them.

So far 3 big 5's in my area are totally out of 22 ammo. Bone dry.
I told my girl that I was getting the .22 because the ammo was so cheap and easy to find compared to 9mm and now I can't seem to find anything but mini mags. Fortunately, that's supposed to be great ammo and I paid about $7 per 100 so its not terrible.

But where the heck did all the bricks go?!
Old 04-21-2009, 9:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

sorry.. did i forget to leave you some at wally world? LOL j/k

just keep looking at wally's. i'm currently comparing the cci mini-mags, federal bulk 550 37grain and the federal 325 40 grain. i posted a gsg - can it do better in this sub-forum. that's why i was concerned about rings and stuff. i can easily shoot 300 or so rd per outing. part of what i don't like with gsg is optics removal to field strip. have to re-zero again a little.

guess i'll pick up the 795 tomorrow. i hope that last one isn't sold yet.

Last edited by high_revs; 04-21-2009 at 9:26 PM..
Old 04-21-2009, 9:37 PM

I have a supplier with 10 7rd nickel mags in stock and 36 10rd nickel mags in stock. They are labeled post-96 and post-88 respectfully. I can do $20 for the 7rd. and $25 for the 10rd mag. Shipping included.

They also have rifles in stock. Please contact for prices. In stock: 31 standard rifles, 1 carbon fiber, 6 stainless.

~Jim Crupi
Calfornia Handgun Exchange
916-307-7868
rudolfthered@att.net

NRA Benefactor Life Member
01 Dealer Redding, CA
US Army MP Corps Veteran
Former NRA Pistol Coach Level 3

I am always looking for Beretta D models in 9mm or a Compact Type M.
Old 04-22-2009, 5:18 AM
Veteran Member

Marlin has mags in stock for $17 but shipping is $8. Now if you buy more than one mag I think the shipping is still $8. Mark
Old 04-22-2009, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
Marlin has mags in stock for $17 but shipping is $8. Now if you buy more than one mag I think the shipping is still $8. Mark
Link? When I go to the Marlin website it looks like their store only sells clothing and such...no guns or parts that I'm seeing.
Old 04-22-2009, 7:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel2000 View Post
Link? When I go to the Marlin website it looks like their store only sells clothing and such...no guns or parts that I'm seeing.
You have to call them. I got a trigger guard and a mag from them last week. Mark
Old 04-22-2009, 8:16 AM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

I've got 6 7rnd mags left if anyone wants them. They're used but in great shape. I'll take $12 each shipping included. Take them all for $60 and shipping included. Send me a PM if interested. All my spare 10rnd mags have been sold.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 04-22-2009, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtx2001 View Post
I don't know if anyone else has covered this, but here goes...

The 795 seems to be an upgraded model 70. The model 70 didn't have a synthetic stock or the feature that holds the bolt open on the last round. The 70 and 795 use the same mags.

I bought my 70 years ago from B5 and payed about $120 for it. It's been a great shooter, and still is. Back then, there were hi-cap 25rnd mags available for it. I bought all that I could and am glad I did. I've added a scope and a bipod lug. I've noticed that over the years, my trigger has almost become a 2 stage. I've figured out where the slack is, then after that is where the hammer drops. The distance isn't much and takes a little bit to find it. This is the best varmit gun I have.

It seems that some are having difficulty finding mags for their 795s. I've got about a half dozen each of the 7rnd and 10rnd mags I could part with.
Yea thats what I have. A Model 70 HC.
The stock 25 rd magazine has long since broke.
When I mount a Bushnell scope on it i can shoot pennies at 50 yards all day long.
My some shoot the little plastic soldiers.
I'm lookin for another wooden stock that I can chop a few inches off it so my 10 year old daughter can shoulder it. She loves shooting the Marlin.