Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2014, 10:40 PM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,077
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default Nightforce 1-4x or Elcan OS4X

Trying to decide on what set up to go with. I have a mid range rifle set up with 14.5 barrel and expected max range of maybe 500 yards. Wondering if I should go with the NF 1-4 to give me more options from close range out to distance or just stick with the fixed 4X Elcan? Seems like with the NF you would either be at 1 power for close range or 4 power over 50 yards but not really in between. I know the Elcan is great glass and red dot daylight visible also.

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. I am also kind of looking at the Leupold MK6 1-6 as a third option but quite a bit more money.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Droppin Deuces's Avatar
Droppin Deuces Droppin Deuces is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In your THOTs
Posts: 5,993
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Nobody uses 2-3x on 1-4x scopes. That's why cattail levers exist - so you can just fast forward through the middle magnification. That said, I would choose the Nightforce with the ballistic reticle.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-10-2014, 9:53 AM
penguin0123 penguin0123 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,161
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Don't forget that Nightforce is not really bright daylight visible.

You can also consider the relaunched USO 1-4 with RDS technology for illumination.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-12-2014, 6:22 PM
problemchild problemchild is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 33.753276,-118.19139
Posts: 6,967
iTrader: 82 / 100%
Default

You really need to narrow down how you WILL shoot the rifle NOT some fantasy wish of how you want it to perform on the battlefield.

A.)

Do you kick down doors and room clear?
Do you fire at enemy forces across the street?
Do you hunker down and shoot prone enemies at 500?

OR

B.)

Do you blast tin cans in the desert for fun and some times go to the range and shoot at 100?

You cannot go wrong with an TA-11 JG Acog!
You cannot go wrong with a 1x6 or a 1x8.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-12-2014, 6:37 PM
static808 static808 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 896
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
Nobody uses 2-3x on 1-4x scopes. That's why cattail levers exist - so you can just fast forward through the middle magnification.
+1

not sure why manufacturers havent used this concept more often in designing glass. my trijicon scope has yet to stay on 2x or 3x...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2014, 8:15 AM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,077
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
Don't forget that Nightforce is not really bright daylight visible.

You can also consider the relaunched USO 1-4 with RDS technology for illumination.
Yes was aware of the daylight issue. Have not seen the new USO in person only in photos.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2014, 8:18 AM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,077
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
You really need to narrow down how you WILL shoot the rifle NOT some fantasy wish of how you want it to perform on the battlefield.

A.)

Do you kick down doors and room clear?
Do you fire at enemy forces across the street?
Do you hunker down and shoot prone enemies at 500?

OR

B.)

Do you blast tin cans in the desert for fun and some times go to the range and shoot at 100?

You cannot go wrong with an TA-11 JG Acog!
You cannot go wrong with a 1x6 or a 1x8.

Interesting response, had a TA11 on one of my other rifles. Pretty decent scope. Yes 1-6 or 1-8 are nice. My shooting varies, some time spent at range at varying distances, some time spent blastng around in the desert and sometime spent at training courses where typically it gets from close range out to about 300 yards.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2014, 8:39 AM
penguin0123 penguin0123 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,161
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Have you played with ACOG + RMR?

The more I play with that combo, the more I prefer it over the variable scopes. When shooting close in, I have a tendency to pick my head up. My habit of aligning the top of the rear aperture with the front post to correct for hold overs in very short range may have contributed.

All the "chin weld" talk aside, I personally find the high RMR intuitive. Take a look at the Russian optics and how high they are placed in relation to the comb; the Russian peasant seems to do fine with that. Also notice how some of the "tactical beard" crowd end up running a MRD on top of the ELCAN 1-4 anyway, even though the ELCAN can go down to 1x.

P.S. Anyone know what pistol that Russian MVD is carrying?




Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-13-2014, 9:33 AM
problemchild problemchild is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 33.753276,-118.19139
Posts: 6,967
iTrader: 82 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
Interesting response, had a TA11 on one of my other rifles. Pretty decent scope. Yes 1-6 or 1-8 are nice. My shooting varies, some time spent at range at varying distances, some time spent blasting around in the desert and sometime spent at training courses where typically it gets from close range out to about 300 yards.

By the way the fist part of my last post was not directed at you.



If you take a look at the fastest shooter in the world, Miculek, and what he runs you will have the right idea of what to run based on your type of shooting. I think he is running a 1x6 and a side red dot. There is a really good, but long, post on arfcon about 1x4 1x6 1x8 scopes with reticle views and specs.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j22CGzs5Vik

What about a Vcog?



I run an Acog on a few of mine and a red dot on others. The dot is good for 50yds and the acog from 10-600yds. The acog is my choice for a no hassle all around hardened scope.

The NF 1x4 is an old outdated platform and not the way to go.

Last edited by problemchild; 05-13-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Droppin Deuces's Avatar
Droppin Deuces Droppin Deuces is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In your THOTs
Posts: 5,993
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
Have you played with ACOG + RMR?

The more I play with that combo, the more I prefer it over the variable scopes. When shooting close in, I have a tendency to pick my head up. My habit of aligning the top of the rear aperture with the front post to correct for hold overs in very short range may have contributed.

All the "chin weld" talk aside, I personally find the high RMR intuitive. Take a look at the Russian optics and how high they are placed in relation to the comb; the Russian peasant seems to do fine with that. Also notice how some of the "tactical beard" crowd end up running a MRD on top of the ELCAN 1-4 anyway, even though the ELCAN can go down to 1x.
Probably the best sighting combo there is. The reflex sight on top of a primary optic is so much more versatile than even a 45 mounting position.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,077
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
Have you played with ACOG + RMR?

The more I play with that combo, the more I prefer it over the variable scopes. When shooting close in, I have a tendency to pick my head up. My habit of aligning the top of the rear aperture with the front post to correct for hold overs in very short range may have contributed.

All the "chin weld" talk aside, I personally find the high RMR intuitive. Take a look at the Russian optics and how high they are placed in relation to the comb; the Russian peasant seems to do fine with that. Also notice how some of the "tactical beard" crowd end up running a MRD on top of the ELCAN 1-4 anyway, even though the ELCAN can go down to 1x.

P.S. Anyone know what pistol that Russian MVD is carrying?






yes, that is a viable option but another $500-$600 for the RMR
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-13-2014, 12:21 PM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,077
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
By the way the fist part of my last post was not directed at you.



If you take a look at the fastest shooter in the world, Miculek, and what he runs you will have the right idea of what to run based on your type of shooting. I think he is running a 1x6 and a side red dot. There is a really good, but long, post on arfcon about 1x4 1x6 1x8 scopes with reticle views and specs.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j22CGzs5Vik

What about a Vcog?



I run an Acog on a few of mine and a red dot on others. The dot is good for 50yds and the acog from 10-600yds. The acog is my choice for a no hassle all around hardened scope.

The NF 1x4 is an old outdated platform and not the way to go.

The VCOG is nice but way pricey too. NF outdated? Some would say ACOG is also given some of their limitations although they are well proven over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-13-2014, 12:22 PM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,077
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
Probably the best sighting combo there is. The reflex sight on top of a primary optic is so much more versatile than even a 45 mounting position.

yes, I just can'g get used to that 45 degree mount option for red dot or back up sights.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-13-2014, 2:23 PM
Packy14's Avatar
Packy14 Packy14 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: socal
Posts: 4,621
iTrader: 127 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
The VCOG is nice but way pricey too. NF outdated? Some would say ACOG is also given some of their limitations although they are well proven over the years.
ACOG is old, but badass never really gets old.
__________________
NRA Lifetime Member

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:11 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.