Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 PM

Thumbs up Carbon Fiber Hand Guard by Cobra Tactical

So recently I came across a hand guard that seemed to be a great deal, but I could not find any reviews... so I thought I would give it a shot and share. I recently purchased a CTS Ultra Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guard 9.5" from Cobra Tactical Systems. I have to say was extremely happy with it, especially for the price. I purchased for $117.07 shipped to my door step, from purchase to at my doorstep it took 7 days (standard shipping) which I felt was pretty quick... my orders from PSA and Midwest took 2+weeks for comparison! Upon receiving, I had a couple questions... the customer service on their website was very quick to respond and answer my questions.

Upon receipt, the quality looked great and it felt great in my hand. It's a larger diameter, larger than Troy, Midwest and felt even larger than a quad rail. My first impression was for it being CF that is was a bit heavy, however I removed the 3 small rails that came attached on it and it literally cute the weight by feel in half! 10 oz w/ rails

A couple things to note is that this rail does not come with a barrel nut, which was not a big deal for me but worth noting. Also, the one thing I wish was slightly different in design is the plastic piece on the muzzle device end... a couple of the screws can be seen which would be nice if hidden (see picture 3).

I used this upper on 10.5 barrel and was EXTREMELY pleased with its looks. Made for a very clean look and still eft thread for a can/suppressor. The other option I really liked is that if you remove the plastic piece mentioned above it could easily fit a can/suppressor inside of the hand guard if you were to go with a 9" barrel and 9" rail and it would look amazing!

For anyone interested in a cool looking hand guard for a great price, I would certainly give these a shot!
Link:
http://www.cobratacsystems.com/colle...h-rifle-length

Last edited by KulG23; 05-07-2014 at 11:28 PM..
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM

I'm running the same handguard on my "SPR" build. I've seen it sold by a few dealers on eBay under different names so I'm not sure who really is the manufacturer for this part. From the finish of the mounting hardware and the metric screws I'm pretty sure it's produced overseas. The black hardware has the slightly glossy finish you see from airsoft mounts.

The style and mounting hardware is very reminiscent of the AP Customs setup. There are other carbon fiber tubes out there where you have to epoxy it to the barrel nut making removal very difficult. So I do prefer this mounting system.

I would've perfer the setup without the end cap. Mines is actually drilled cockeyed so I elected not to use it. If I cared enough I would fill in the holes with black dyed epoxy resin. I see your endcap have the same burrs mines did where the threaded screw holes were drilled through.

Overall I'm satisfied with the quality. I would love a Lancer Systems instead but I didn't have $250+ kicking around
Old 05-08-2014, 8:11 PM

Yes these are made for us overseas in South Korea. the end cap is aluminum not plastic. we have a version 2 on its way to us with a proprietary barrel nut and other improvements. ..Hopefully our supplier wont whore the new design out on ebay as well...
Old 05-09-2014, 2:50 PM

I Also purchased the carbon fiber handguard. Have to say I was equally impressed, really like that the CF has more of a matte look rather than the 'shiny' look you see in auto parts. I'm building out the rifle tonight, I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the finished product.

Old 05-09-2014, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I like the concept of this as I am a huge CF fan - bikes, car parts, rings, knifes - but the YHM design front cap held on by screws seemed kind of cheesy, but more of a concern would be running it with no front cap so I can have a partially obscured muzzle device. That is, I wonder if that cap is needed to hold the handguard together and give it support.

WTS: Gun stuff & things WTB: Glock 19 Gen 3
Old 05-09-2014, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

kinda looks like a piece of trash put together in someones garage. To each his own I suppose.

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

it's heavy for CF
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
I like the concept of this as I am a huge CF fan - bikes, car parts, rings, knifes - but the YHM design front cap held on by screws seemed kind of cheesy, but more of a concern would be running it with no front cap so I can have a partially obscured muzzle device. That is, I wonder if that cap is needed to hold the handguard together and give it support.
I'm running mines without the front cap. Wish It wasn't drilled for the front cap to begin with.

Last edited by firebert; 05-13-2014 at 10:24 AM..
Old 05-13-2014, 10:34 AM

I like it man. Looks great. Can`t beat their price and they seem like nice folks too.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebert View Post
I'm running mines without the front cap. Wish It wasn't drilled for the front cap to begin with.
The holes you can fill 2 ways I can think of easy... black RTV silicon (better than a hole) OR go to REI or a bike shop and look for the little plugs that go in the stem hex head bolt and snag a few and pop those into place. You can see the rubber plug I am talking about here.. that would be a cleaner presentation than holes.

WTS: Gun stuff & things WTB: Glock 19 Gen 3