Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-29-2020, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
I lost interest and sold off most of my parts when Ca started making gun owners register home built guns (80% lowers)
dang brother, the feels. rip </3
hope you have a change of heart at some point.
Old 06-29-2020, 5:48 PM

Of the featureless grips I like the Sparrows. I also have a couple different types of grip fins. If you're going to use a grip fin though get one with a thumb shelf. Also I'd had the buffer tube ring with the loop for a one point sling - with the Sparrow it gets in the way.

And ambi safety switch is also nice.
Old 06-29-2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
Of the featureless grips I like the Sparrows. I also have a couple different types of grip fins. If you're going to use a grip fin though get one with a thumb shelf. Also I'd had the buffer tube ring with the loop for a one point sling - with the Sparrow it gets in the way.

And ambi safety switch is also nice.
ah good things to keep in mind! cheers for the good advice.
this might sound a little reckless but i saw a stripped lower ar pistol thats registered as a semi auto on the forums yesterday, just bought it. going for a 10.5" ar pistol. makes a lot more sense then the full 16" ar for me.
i saw an awesome oppurtunity and i went for it. refining as i go haha
Old 06-29-2020, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

This is my recent build (and only AR, for now):

Major components include:

-Daniel Defense 16" mid-length lightweight profile barrel with gas block journal reprofiled to 0.625"

-Aero Precision No-Forward Assist upper

-Aero Precision STS lower

-Forward Control Designs (Sionics-made) Slickside Bolt Carrier

-LMT enhanced bolt

-Geissele SSA-E trigger

-LWRC Compact stock

-Geissele 10.5" Mk16 SMR

-LMT BUIS

I have the parts for the free State configuration as well, but my featureless components are:

-Sparrow Dynamics Featureless Grip

-AIM Sports A2-style "muzzle brake" (more of a compensator, really; I'd do a U.S.-made one for a few bucks more if I were to do it again)

-Strike Industries stock stop (modified to work at my preferred length)

I had originally considered doing a budget build (mostly PSA parts), but I knew I'd want to change it eventually. I decided to just buy it incrementally, piece by piece, as I could afford, until I had the carbine configured the way I wanted it, cost be damned.

I felt that 16" was a good compromise barrel length that also still permitted swapping muzzle devices. Mid-length is the best gas system length for that barrel length. I wanted ability to mount a bayonet. I wanted to emphasize lighter weight without trying to get into the ultralight stuff. I prefer no FA and a short throw selector. I wanted an excellent trigger (I have six Geissele triggers that I got for free, so I was GTG there). I wanted a quality BCG with good longevity. I wanted to emphasize potential for hard use (DD barrel and LMT bolt are part of that). I wanted it to be at least semi-ambidextrous. I wanted irons that were fully adjustable and suited for the full range of intended use until I could afford optics (I want to get a TA-33 ACOG, probably with a Midwest Industries mount). I wanted free float and a modular accessory mounting system with relatively slim handguards, but something strong.

So I got what I wanted. The only change I might make were I to do another one like this is to utilize an LMT MARS-L lower and buffer tube, modified to be better suited for a short-throw selector, with its ambi bolt-catch and magazine catch that comes with it. Maybe get V7 titanium small parts, at least some of the less expensive ones.

I'm not a fan of grip fins at all, and decided against fixed-mag with the AR platform (I went with it on my FALs, but they can be loaded with the many inexpensive chargers that I have; AR chargers, like the Mean Arms, are very expensive and space-consuming on gear). The Sparrow Dynamics both looks the best and feels the best in my hand. I've tried the Resurgent Arms, and I don't like how it feels, although it's still better than a fin. I reversed the levers on the selector to make it usable with the index finger of the firing hand; they are returned to the normal position with a normal grip and are quick and easy to swap.

I prefer side-charging, but I wanted to do a conventional AR first, without need for proprietary parts or sending them out to be modified. I'm also not satisfied by the currently available options for side-charging for the AR-15 (which are also very expensive).
Old 06-29-2020, 9:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplex View Post
and the fact that its a 1:8 twist is a plus over 1:9
1:9 twist is more accurate with 40-75gr bullets than 1:8 is.
I bet you are only shooting 77-80gr bullets though so you need the 1:8 twist...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 06-30-2020, 7:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
This is my recent build (and only AR, for now):

Major components include:

-Daniel Defense 16" mid-length lightweight profile barrel with gas block journal reprofiled to 0.625"

-Aero Precision No-Forward Assist upper

-Aero Precision STS lower

-Forward Control Designs (Sionics-made) Slickside Bolt Carrier

-LMT enhanced bolt

-Geissele SSA-E trigger

-LWRC Compact stock

-Geissele 10.5" Mk16 SMR

-LMT BUIS

I have the parts for the free State configuration as well, but my featureless components are:

-Sparrow Dynamics Featureless Grip

-AIM Sports A2-style "muzzle brake" (more of a compensator, really; I'd do a U.S.-made one for a few bucks more if I were to do it again)

-Strike Industries stock stop (modified to work at my preferred length)

I had originally considered doing a budget build (mostly PSA parts), but I knew I'd want to change it eventually. I decided to just buy it incrementally, piece by piece, as I could afford, until I had the carbine configured the way I wanted it, cost be damned.

I felt that 16" was a good compromise barrel length that also still permitted swapping muzzle devices. Mid-length is the best gas system length for that barrel length. I wanted ability to mount a bayonet. I wanted to emphasize lighter weight without trying to get into the ultralight stuff. I prefer no FA and a short throw selector. I wanted an excellent trigger (I have six Geissele triggers that I got for free, so I was GTG there). I wanted a quality BCG with good longevity. I wanted to emphasize potential for hard use (DD barrel and LMT bolt are part of that). I wanted it to be at least semi-ambidextrous. I wanted irons that were fully adjustable and suited for the full range of intended use until I could afford optics (I want to get a TA-33 ACOG, probably with a Midwest Industries mount). I wanted free float and a modular accessory mounting system with relatively slim handguards, but something strong.

So I got what I wanted. The only change I might make were I to do another one like this is to utilize an LMT MARS-L lower and buffer tube, modified to be better suited for a short-throw selector, with its ambi bolt-catch and magazine catch that comes with it. Maybe get V7 titanium small parts, at least some of the less expensive ones.

I'm not a fan of grip fins at all, and decided against fixed-mag with the AR platform (I went with it on my FALs, but they can be loaded with the many inexpensive chargers that I have; AR chargers, like the Mean Arms, are very expensive and space-consuming on gear). The Sparrow Dynamics both looks the best and feels the best in my hand. I've tried the Resurgent Arms, and I don't like how it feels, although it's still better than a fin. I reversed the levers on the selector to make it usable with the index finger of the firing hand; they are returned to the normal position with a normal grip and are quick and easy to swap.

I prefer side-charging, but I wanted to do a conventional AR first, without need for proprietary parts or sending them out to be modified. I'm also not satisfied by the currently available options for side-charging for the AR-15 (which are also very expensive).
Sounds like an ideal ar15, with solid parts. right on brother! My preferences are very similar.

Last edited by Suplex; 06-30-2020 at 10:08 AM..
Old 06-30-2020, 8:38 AM

if you're going featureless.. do yourself a favor and get the strike industries megafin grip. I have no idea why no one else suggested it. I've tried other grips.. this one is SUPER comfortable and still looks sexy especially compared to the sparrows.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Str.../si-ar-mfg.htm
Old 06-30-2020, 9:29 AM

Hey OP, my first (and so far only) build is basically an aero m4e1 except using an Anderson stripper lower, and made Ca featureless with resurgent arms grip and stock pin kit, and vg6 gamma muzzle device, and with a Romeo5 rds.

My intention for this build is to try out “multigun” action shooting in the future (I just attended my first action shooting practice with pistol, and it was so much fun!)

I figure for my first build I would keep it simple and get “known” mid tier quality parts until I got more experience and figured out my own preferences.

I also recently got a tromix 458S complete upper, since I would like to try out hog hunting, and decided that I wanted to learn to reload and to keep customizing my existing rifle rather than building or buying a new one that’s chambered in .308

Congrats on your first build OP
Old 06-30-2020, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Hey OP, my first (and so far only) build is basically an aero m4e1 except using an Anderson stripper lower, and made Ca featureless with resurgent arms grip and stock pin kit, and vg6 gamma muzzle device, and with a Romeo5 rds.

My intention for this build is to try out “multigun” action shooting in the future (I just attended my first action shooting practice with pistol, and it was so much fun!)

I figure for my first build I would keep it simple and get “known” mid tier quality parts until I got more experience and figured out my own preferences.

I also recently got a tromix 458S complete upper, since I would like to try out hog hunting, and decided that I wanted to learn to reload and to keep customizing my existing rifle rather than building or buying a new one that’s chambered in .308

Congrats on your first build OP
Right on brother, thanks for sharing. I actually just purchased a aero m4e1 pistol lower yesterday thats registered as semi auto, got lucky i found it! also ordered a 10.5 aero m4e1 upper with aero bcg. I realized this is really what I want, as apposed to the 16" m&p15 sport2, gonna try to ethier cancel or sell that one. its just too big for me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

It will end up looking similar to the one in the above link.

Last edited by Suplex; 06-30-2020 at 10:08 AM..
Old 06-30-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLA View Post
if you're going featureless.. do yourself a favor and get the strike industries megafin grip. I have no idea why no one else suggested it. I've tried other grips.. this one is SUPER comfortable and still looks sexy especially compared to the sparrows.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Str.../si-ar-mfg.htm
oo ya nice, definitly looks like the best fin choice.
I ended up switching over to a ar pistol, so cant go featureless, but good to know its out there for the future.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Right on brother, thanks for sharing. I actually just purchased a aero m4e1 pistol lower yesterday thats registered as semi auto, got lucky i found it! also ordered a 10.5 aero m4e1 upper with aero bcg. I realized this is really what I want, as apposed to the 16" m&p15 sport2, gonna try to ethier cancel or sell that one. its just too big for me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

It will end up looking similar to the one in the above link.
Edit: I saw you live in CA

Are you doing dros for that lower as a pistol via PPT?

Congrats on finding that deal.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Edit: I saw you live in CA

Are you doing dros for that lower as a pistol via PPT?

Congrats on finding that deal.
Yes, why do you ask?
Old 06-30-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, why do you ask?
Because I’ve been looking into doing a PPT for an AR pistol myself, and want to learn all about it!
Old 06-30-2020, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Because I’ve been looking into doing a PPT for an AR pistol myself, and want to learn all about it!
It's easy.
Find one for sale.
Meet at FFL.
Pay seller.
Do PPT.

Pickup after 10-20 days.
Old 06-30-2020, 1:29 PM

Really like my spikes megafin for featureless, and it looks way less retarded than the other options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottn View Post
Really like my spikes megafin for featureless, and it looks way less retarded than the other options

I care more about function than looks, which is why I won't bother with a fin, not that fins don't also look retarded.
Old 06-30-2020, 2:17 PM

Having a functional mag release is the reason I have a fin, seems way better than fixed mag
Old 06-30-2020, 3:07 PM

Just recently finished a build. Still haven't ran it through its paces yet or even test fired to be honest. Lots of things in my way as of late, ugh. Anyway, you can see my complete build here: http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1614133
Old 06-30-2020, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Having a functional mag release is the reason I have a fin, seems way better than fixed mag
Mine is featureless. I deliberately avoided fins. I like being able to wrap my thumb around the grip. Much more practical, IMO. Obviously there's nothing ideal about any of the featureless grip solutions.
Old 06-30-2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It's easy.
Find one for sale.
Meet at FFL.
Pay seller.
Do PPT.

Pickup after 10-20 days.
Naz- what he says. although not so easy with finding someone selling it. good luck!
Old 06-30-2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:

agreed! maybe its the backround of the sand but it actually kinda blends in on your rifle. theres no getting around the original fins looking bad though haha.
Old 06-30-2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It's easy.
Find one for sale.
Meet at FFL.
Pay seller.
Do PPT.

Pickup after 10-20 days.
It has been really hard to fine one for sale that was dros as type handgun and category semi automatic.

I have seen ones dros as single shot for sale, but wasn’t sure if that was ok to convert to semi auto

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
It has been really hard to fine one for sale that was dros as type handgun and category semi automatic.

I have seen ones dros as single shot for sale, but wasn’t sure if that was ok to convert to semi auto

Thanks!
cant convert now unfortunately; i just found out.
Old 06-30-2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
cant convert now unfortunately; i just found out.
But if you bought one that’s already dros as semi auto handgun in the past, aren’t you going to go? That has been what is hard to find for sale when I looked

Sorry that it ended up as not super easy.

my $0.02 is you should build up a rifle with 16” barrel if this doesn’t go through for you

Also, Ca7 isn’t a “single shot”. So it isn’t a single shot to semi auto conversion, so maybe that’s another route for you

Last edited by naz; 06-30-2020 at 5:03 PM..
Old 06-30-2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
But if you bought one that’s already dros as semi auto handgun in the past, aren’t you going to go? That has been what is hard to find for sale when I looked

Sorry that it ended up as not super easy.

my $0.02 is you should build up a rifle with 16” barrel if this doesn’t go through for you

Also, Ca7 isn’t a “single shot”. So it isn’t a single shot to semi auto conversion, so maybe that’s another route for you
i think i should be good with the stripped lower that i bought. for me it was actually easy. i wasnt particularly looking for it, but when i saw it i jumped on it. i got lucky. i thought the same thing with the ca7 but someone on here today told me that cant be done anymore. not sure how credible that is but worth looking into anyway if someone decides to do that.
Old 06-30-2020, 9:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It's not.

Put up a WTB with a high market price offer and one will magically appear.
Just make sure it's not from a new member in the last couple weeks with very low post count as those are almost all scammers.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Although it’s worth keeping in mind that there are a lot of new buyers during the pandemic, and most likely new people on the forum- like myself.
And yet you have 65 posts already.
It's the ones with 0 posts and a join date in the last day or two that are usually the scammers.
The scammers don't waste their time actually participating in any useful discussion.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:15 PM

I'd throw this in the mix: a decent rifle with a class under your belt beats a $3,000 rifle without. Get trained.
Old 07-02-2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratchett View Post
I'd throw this in the mix: a decent rifle with a class under your belt beats a $3,000 rifle without. Get trained.
What are your recommendations for classes in norcal?
Old 07-06-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
What are your recommendations for classes in norcal?
Hey, Naz! Man, I'm sorry - I don't have the slightest idea. Down here I'm all about ITTS in LA County. Up there... hmmm... the best I can tell you is Thunder Ranch but that's out of Lakeview, OR. Chris Costa seems to come to Linden, CA on the regular. Yes, I'm aware he's a controversial figure and I just ruined this thread.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 PM

highly recommend as your first build to keep it simple (K.I.S.S.), that is what I'm glad I did. All MILSPEC, except maybe a trigger and perhaps a N.M. front sight post. Pinned on gas block / FSB. In the case of SHTF or some other man-made or natural disaster that makes life desperate: Something that will still be the same as the first day you fired it. No batteries or fragile glass. Just pure iron sights and lots of trigger time. You can't replace being quick and accurate with the irons. After some significant time on the trigger, then maybe add battle tested components and accessories.
Old 07-06-2020, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratchett View Post
Hey, Naz! Man, I'm sorry - I don't have the slightest idea. Down here I'm all about ITTS in LA County. Up there... hmmm... the best I can tell you is Thunder Ranch but that's out of Lakeview, OR. Chris Costa seems to come to Linden, CA on the regular. Yes, I'm aware he's a controversial figure and I just ruined this thread.
What do you think about uspsa matches? I figured it’s better than shooting in a stall so I got signed off to participate in those at my local range to participate in those. Hoping to do my first match soon. There is also “3 gun” practice, which looks to be super fun.

I just found out my next door neighbor used to be an RO for his agency, so I’ll try to get coaching that way as well.

Btw, shotgunpreacher, I got my first lesson in why irons are needed when I pulled my rifle out of its case at the range this weekend and my RDS was out of battery. It was just sitting in its case so it “should” have had battery.... that would not have been ideal if it wasn’t being uncased for entrainment purposes
Old 07-06-2020, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Personally I have no interest or need for a collapsible stock so all of my AR clones (except 1 and it's pinned) wear an A2 stock. Trap door storage for the G.I. cleaning kit and the stock is sturdy as hell.

16" barreled AR with an A2 stock works great and looks good IMO.
Pictures!