Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2010, 3:12 PM
DaveFJ80's Avatar
DaveFJ80 DaveFJ80 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DFW & LA
Posts: 2,022
iTrader: 94 / 100%
Default Maverick 88 or Mossberg 500 combo?

Not to beat a dead horse here, but looking for a "cheap" (in price) shotgun, on the Mossberg platform.... not looking for Hawk, Pardner, CD, etc.

No mods planned for it except for a Hogue Tamer forend and PGO grip that I already have for the Mossberg gun, which will fit onto the Mav 88. I know the slide assembly needs to be purchased if I put the forend on either gun. The gun will sit in the closet 99% of the time for HD use. The other 1% use will be at the range, possibly once every few months, if that.

With that said, is the Maverick 88 for $199 a good enough deal? Or is it worth spending an extra $50-$60 for the Big 5 Mossberg 500 combo? (I'd probably end up selling the 28" barrel, if that matters). What's the advantage/pro for spending that extra $50, besides having the 'Mossberg' name (even though Maverick is still technically made by Mossberg and says so on it)?

Just looking for some opinions.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host., the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved. and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to