Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 03-14-2017, 2:41 PM

Lenny from Glockstore posted this pic on 3/10 (last Friday). That is their shipment of PF940Cv1 textured frames.

Old 03-14-2017, 2:43 PM

Also firearmsunknown.com also has them in stock right now...
Old 03-14-2017, 5:18 PM

Hmmm maybe they just haven't updated their web site yet? I'd love for my pessimistic view to be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
Lenny from Glockstore posted this pic on 3/10 (last Friday). That is their shipment of PF940Cv1 textured frames.

<snip image>
Old 03-14-2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson_2016 View Post
Hmmm maybe they just haven't updated their web site yet? I'd love for my pessimistic view to be wrong.
Most likely.

MagCommander also has them in stock and free shipping.

https://www.magcommander.com/product...source=rare.io

I ordered a PF940 Spectre from them last month and got it in 3 days. They're also active on this site.
Old 03-14-2017, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Purchased mine from MagCommander two days ago. In stock, free shipping, and tax free.
Old 03-15-2017, 8:38 AM

Received mine yesterday from Glockstore!!! However, I have an issue with the locking block rails being too thick for the slide and it being difficult inserting it into the slide. I checked the height on them and its coming out to .058" thick. I'm looking to thin them down to fit. I know some on here have already done that with success and was wondering if you can point me in the right direction in what tools I should use. Thanks for any help!
Old 03-15-2017, 8:46 AM

.058" is the right thickness for slide rails so there is no reason to sand them down. It's the width that causes friction. I suggest you read the last couple of pages of this thread for some tips on building and fitting.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
.058" is the right thickness for slide rails so there is no reason to sand them down. It's the width that causes friction. I suggest you read the last couple of pages of this thread for some tips on building and fitting.
I think that's probably good info. If I were to do it over again I would have started with polishing the sides of the locking block rails and left the height alone. But even with having polished the coating entirely away my rails are still a few thousandths thicker than the rails on the full-sized Spectre so I think I'm good to go.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:25 AM

I was just corresponding with someone at Brownell's by way of "live chat", and I was told that these PF940CV1 frames aren't expected to ship until mid April.

So I suppose I'm going to cancel my order there and get it somewhere else.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:52 AM

Midway is in stock on textured
Old 03-15-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladewurk View Post
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-15-2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmitchell View Post
I think that's probably good info. If I were to do it over again I would have started with polishing the sides of the locking block rails and left the height alone. But even with having polished the coating entirely away my rails are still a few thousandths thicker than the rails on the full-sized Spectre so I think I'm good to go.
.058" is the thickest the rails should be. .063" is a no-go. Glocks like to run a bit sloppy on the rails so sanding a bit isn't really a bad thing. What I was trying to avoid was taking off the coating if possible. Polishing would definitely help. I polished my Spectre front rails.

The full size frame definitely has thinner rails. My rear plastic rails are .048" because I didn't realize it was the depth that was rubbing and not the thickness. I only ran a few hundred rounds of 124g and 115g but no issues so far.
Old 03-15-2017, 2:56 PM

Quote:
.058" is the thickest the rails should be. .063" is a no-go. Glocks like to run a bit sloppy on the rails so sanding a bit isn't really a bad thing. What I was trying to avoid was taking off the coating if possible. Polishing would definitely help. I polished my Spectre front rails.

The full size frame definitely has thinner rails. My rear plastic rails are .048" because I didn't realize it was the depth that was rubbing and not the thickness. I only ran a few hundred rounds of 124g and 115g but no issues so far.
Thank you very much for the help! I went and measured the width of the rails on the locking block and it looks like the width tapers outwards from the front to back. On the front I'm getting .898" and at the end of the rail I'm getting .908" so a change of .010". That's when I realized if I slid the locking block into the frame it was about about half on the rail when i felt the resistance of it being too wide. I applied a little pressure with my hand to the sides of the locking block and it felt like a perfect fit but as soon as i let go then it felt like it was sticking.

Going to finish the frame this weekend and I will see the fit up then.
Old 03-15-2017, 3:18 PM

I got very close to the same measurements when I was fitting my slide. The AA .22 conversion slide fit with no issues at all. The G19 needed a bit of filing. Here's my front rails. I only filed the back where it was touching and this was all that was needed to have no friction at all.

Old 03-15-2017, 3:24 PM

Here's a top view. The angle is still there but you can see how little you need to remove to get rid of the friction.

Old 03-15-2017, 3:34 PM

One other note that's been bothering me. The video of the guy shooting and getting out of battery was pushing the slide into battery with the thumb of his trigger hand is probably not the smartest thing to do. If the pistol discharges for whatever reason, best case is the pistol flies forward. Worst case, you break your thumb. Slap the back of the slide into battery with your off-hand.

There were a few cases where these builds would fire with a trigger pull and when the trigger resets.
Old 03-15-2017, 9:06 PM

Has anybody tried any g19 magwells on the compact?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
One other note that's been bothering me. The video of the guy shooting and getting out of battery was pushing the slide into battery with the thumb of his trigger hand is probably not the smartest thing to do. If the pistol discharges for whatever reason, best case is the pistol flies forward. Worst case, you break your thumb. Slap the back of the slide into battery with your off-hand.

There were a few cases where these builds would fire with a trigger pull and when the trigger resets.
Back in December I took a handgun class and during one of the drills, we had to push the slide forward with our thumb and fire a round.

The purpose of the drill was to simulate jamming a pistol into an assailant's torso, where there was a possibility of the gun being out of battery and being unable to fire.

You will feel it a little bit, but my thumb was nowhere near breaking.
Old 03-16-2017, 9:44 AM

Seriously, has anyone here built one and NOT had a single issue?
Old 03-16-2017, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegar1 View Post
Has anybody tried any g19 magwells on the compact?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yes. Read the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviljon View Post
Back in December I took a handgun class and during one of the drills, we had to push the slide forward with our thumb and fire a round.

The purpose of the drill was to simulate jamming a pistol into an assailant's torso, where there was a possibility of the gun being out of battery and being unable to fire.

You will feel it a little bit, but my thumb was nowhere near breaking.
Was this your instructor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandBlastedSkin View Post
These are 80% lowers. Like most things in life, you'll have some issues and depending on your skill level, they might be significant or not. On the 3 I've built (PF940 and 2 PF940Cv1), there were some minor fitting but nothing major. If you have to fit or modify a stock Glock part to make it work in these frames, you're doing something wrong. I've been posting tips on what I think might be helpful to people that are building these. If you want something with zero issues out of the box or can't be bothered to troublesoot an issue, get a Glock. Or something else.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Was this your instructor?

LOL. Actually, it was with an instructor named Aaron Cowan from Sage Dynamics. Awesome class but not recommended if you have weak thumbs.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Yes. Read the thread.
These are 80% lowers. Like most things in life, you'll have some issues and depending on your skill level, they might be significant or not. On the 3 I've built (PF940 and 2 PF940Cv1), there were some minor fitting but nothing major. If you have to fit or modify a stock Glock part to make it work in these frames, you're doing something wrong. I've been posting tips on what I think might be helpful to people that are building these. If you want something with zero issues out of the box or can't be bothered to troublesoot an issue, get a Glock. Or something else.
Perhaps you should have specified "These are Glock 80% lowers." Not all 80%s are equal apparently, because almost anyone can finish an AR 80% without any issue.

It just seems like either the process has not been worked out properly, or the manufacturers of these 80%s don't do their job properly if the majority of builds end up needing some form of correction. Pretty off-putting to those that may be on the fence about building their own, and then see this thread.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM

Mine arrived, but I am prototyping something else I want to complete before I actually mill mine down. I have digital calipers if anyone wants specific measurements of any part of a pre-milled PF940C kit. Let me know and I'll measure.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you should have specified "These are Glock 80% lowers." Not all 80%s are equal apparently, because almost anyone can finish an AR 80% without any issue.

It just seems like either the process has not been worked out properly, or the manufacturers of these 80%s don't do their job properly if the majority of builds end up needing some form of correction. Pretty off-putting to those that may be on the fence about building their own, and then see this thread.
I think the difference with 80% AR lowers is that the mating surfaces are already milled and as long as you drill the trigger holes properly you can't really screw it up. The original Spectre definitely had some issues with the polymer rear rails and the rear trigger group housing that needed shimming for many people. The new compact frame is a huge improvement IMO. I'm not put off at all by the locking block being slightly tight on mine and I would highly recommend this kit to anyone. The steel rear rail insert is awesome and the time and effort to complete is really minimal. It's trivial to finish this with a dremel and a battery powered hand drill and a bit of sandpaper.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:37 PM

Just watched this guys video and he didn't a really clean job on it. Of course it was all on a mill, but still well done.

https://youtu.be/r936k0gUz8w
Old 03-16-2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:

No, I meant ALL 80% lowers. To think that anyone can just cut rails and drill fcg pockets and holes is naive at best.

How many people trying a PF940 (full size or compact) have done a 80% AR lower? I'm betting very few because a 80% AR lower is much more involved and the ones that are successful at it have some skills. The guy that had the 3 part build (What the Gun) is a perfect example of someone I wouldn't trust to finish a lower. He was sloppy and treated this project like he was a kid with legos. And it still worked! I'd like to see that guy finish an AR lower.

If anyone sees this thread and thinks these (minor) issues are off-putting, then they shouldn't try it. I've been posting every little issue that could possibly come up with a build to help those that are more confident in their skills to complete this and not afraid to troubleshoot an issue if it arises.

I just got back from the range and my PF940Cv1 ran flawlessly thru 250 rds (Rem 115g and Speer 124g). I was using G17 oem mags and GL9 15rd Pmags. I had some issues with the AA .22 but that was more of a kit, ammo and mag issue than the frame. I didn't want to deal with it when I'm paying by the hour at the range.
Old 03-16-2017, 2:46 PM

Just in case anyone's interested, he used a ball end mill to mill out the recoil spring channel (which is also how I prefer to do it), and you can get an 11 mm ball end mill from "merlintools" on ebay for $9.50 + $2.00 shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakborder76 View Post
Just watched this guys video and he didn't a really clean job on it. Of course it was all on a mill, but still well done.

https://youtu.be/r936k0gUz8w
Old 03-17-2017, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladewurk View Post
I got an email from Midway this morning with a coupon code for $15 dollar off $100 if anyone is thinking of purchasing through them. OFFER201703
Old 03-18-2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Actually yes, it was the third frame that had no issues the first couple had some hiccups...
Old 03-18-2017, 3:02 PM

The fullsize pf940 is on sale at brownells right now for $69.99
I am getting another as a dedicated 22lr.
Old 03-18-2017, 4:58 PM

Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOUNN View Post
Anyone got a Tracking # from Rainier Arms on the Smooth frames yet.. I've yet to see/hear anything.. Even emailed them..
I emailed them and got a reply on March 8th and he said they didn't have an ETA on the ReadyMod frames. The website now says expected ship date is April.
Old 03-19-2017, 7:37 AM

Anyone have one of these?
Old 03-19-2017, 7:48 AM

Just an FYI for a few guys. Just finished my frame yesterday afternoon, and it is functioning beautifully! Hopefully I will have a chance today to run down to my local indoor and give it a hundred rounds or so. I will give an an update after I range test.
Old 03-19-2017, 2:58 PM

Default fitting required

finished my poly80 g19 compact this morning. I used only hand tools (hand drill, dremel, and hand files). the tolerances are very tight. Because using only hand tools, this made fitting front and rear rails quite difficult. the holes didn't line up perfectly. I did some filing on the polymer to make the rails fit. But everything came out nice and straight. However, when i racked the upper, my front rails are perfect but my rear one were a bit too tall. the slide will stick a bit when charging on occasions. its not too bad, but something I notice. I going to oil up the upper and rails and rack the slide a few hundred times to break it in more before live rounds at the range. overall i'm quite impressed with the quality of the kit.

Last edited by UclaPeon44; 03-19-2017 at 3:01 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 AM

I just got my PF940C frame today, and I noticed it that comes with a 9 mm end mill instead of an 11 mm end mill like the PF940 did.

I don't have a Glock 19 upper yet, so I'm wondering: Is the recoil spring and guide rod assy. on a Glock 19 smaller in diameter than that of a Glock 17?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson_2016 View Post
I just got my PF940C frame today, and I noticed it that comes with a 9 mm end mill instead of an 11 mm end mill like the PF940 did.

I don't have a Glock 19 upper yet, so I'm wondering: Is the recoil spring and guide rod assy. on a Glock 19 smaller in diameter than that of a Glock 17?
It won't get the barrel block in one pass. I didn't use the end mill in finishing mine though. My comment is just based on watching completion videos on YouTube.
Old 03-20-2017, 2:32 PM

Brownells shipped some today
Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 AM

I used a vice and a Dremel (a knockoff Dremel at that, it's a Wen) and a cordless hand drill. The milling took me maybe 15 to 20 minutes, it's that easy.
The assembly and fitting were the closest thing to hard about it. I used mostly OEM parts and with the exception of having managed to have bent the front rails (which Poly80 helped me correct after talking to them) it was pretty intuitive. It cycles fine now, so now all I need to do is take it to the range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030495.jpg (57.0 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by KoshNarek; 03-21-2017 at 1:14 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 9:40 AM

Can't wait for the G26 version. Thinking about ordering another compact and cutting it down.