Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Private Ammo Sales
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Ammo Sales For the Private Sale of Ammo. Read the rules before posting.

Old 02-21-2018, 1:22 AM

Who enforces this law? What if someone sells 1000 anyway because f them?
Old 02-21-2018, 5:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebix View Post
Who enforces this law? What if someone sells 1000 anyway because f them?
It doesn't matter.

Discussion of breaking the law or ways of getting away with it is a back stage pass to meet the banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-22-2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpspinner View Post
What about this?

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=1.&article=2.

(a) (1) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale of ammunition by any party shall be conducted by or processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.

(2) When neither party to an ammunition sale is a licensed ammunition vendor, the seller shall deliver the ammunition to a vendor to process the transaction. The ammunition vendor shall promptly and properly deliver the ammunition to the purchaser, if the sale is not prohibited, as if the ammunition were the vendor’s own merchandise. If the ammunition vendor cannot legally deliver the ammunition to the purchaser, the vendor shall forthwith return the ammunition to the seller. The ammunition vendor may charge the purchaser an administrative fee to process the transaction, in an amount to be set by the Department of Justice, in addition to any applicable fees that may be charged pursuant to the provisions of this title.

(b) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur in a face-to-face transaction with the seller, deliverer, or transferor, provided, however, that ammunition may be purchased or acquired over the Internet or through other means of remote ordering if a licensed ammunition vendor initially receives the ammunition and processes the transaction in compliance with this section and Article 3 (commencing with Section 30342) of Chapter 1 of Division 10 of Title 4 of this part.

(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of ammunition to any of the following:

(1) An authorized law enforcement representative of a city, county, city and county, or state or federal government, if the sale, delivery, or transfer is for exclusive use by that government agency and, prior to the sale, delivery, or transfer of the ammunition, written authorization from the head of the agency employing the purchaser or transferee is obtained, identifying the employee as an individual authorized to conduct the transaction, and authorizing the transaction for the exclusive use of the agency employing the individual.

(2) A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.

(3) An importer or manufacturer of ammunition or firearms who is licensed to engage in business pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(4) A person who is on the centralized list of exempted federal firearms licensees maintained by the Department of Justice pursuant to Article 6 (commencing with Section 28450) of Chapter 6 of Division 6 of this title.

(5) A person whose licensed premises are outside this state and who is licensed as a dealer or collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(6) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.

(7) An ammunition vendor.

(8) A consultant-evaluator.

(9) A person who purchases or receives ammunition at a target facility holding a business or other regulatory license, provided that the ammunition is at all times kept within the facility’s premises.

(10) A person who purchases or receives ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.

(11) A person enrolled in the basic training academy for peace officers or any other course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, an instructor of the academy or course, or a staff member of the academy or entity providing the course, who is purchasing the ammunition for the purpose of participation or use in the course.

(d) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
I'd like an answer to this as well. Plain reading of it seems to exempt C&R/COE holders from the need to go to an ammo vendor.
Old 02-22-2018, 2:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Damn, and to think poor ol Kest was called a "bootlicker" just a few short weeks ago for closing this forum down

How about a sticky thread on ffl's willing to make the transfer? Kinda silly to shop for ammo if you don't know or have anyone to make the transfer.

I second this request. It would be good to find shops that will do this and those that refuse.

And a thought - I always try to be a nice guy and buy something when I am doing a transfer. I think it's a nice thing to do, but also might help encourage shops to keep doing transfers, even if they don't bring a lot of money into the shop on the xfer itself.
“Would you really like to live in a society where you have no responsibility and no freedom, no choice, only the false option of obedience to the law, or disobedience followed by punishment? Would you really want to go live in a prison?” - Ursula Le Guin
Old 02-23-2018, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post
I'd like an answer to this as well. Plain reading of it seems to exempt C&R/COE holders from the need to go to an ammo vendor.
Its fairly accepted / common knowledge that a 03/COE is excempt from purchase restrictions, where they are the recipient. Are you really asking if that is a global exemption including the selling and being the one who transfers to another person?
Old 02-23-2018, 8:40 AM

The prk at its finest!

Thanks for the note Boss
Old 02-23-2018, 10:10 AM
YOU are next!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erichp View Post
Its fairly accepted / common knowledge that a 03/COE is excempt from purchase restrictions, where they are the recipient. Are you really asking if that is a global exemption including the selling and being the one who transfers to another person?
I think most individuals are not accepting this. I have both FFL03 + COE and was trying to buy some ammo and the seller still telling me to meet him at an FFL
Old 02-23-2018, 3:32 PM

I was referring to the legal situation as that is the question and the exemption is clear.

But like any law, No one is saying anything about the man on the street and their understanding. Just like we have shops that wont ship to us in CA like LAX. You cant fix stupid

I wanted to clarify what was being asked as the exemption seems a given. But I dont read it as card blanche to act as an ammo vendor as some can take that snippet or may want to. Though it would be great.

At the end of the day all this crap is all about CA wanting their tax, nothing else.

The Problem is becoming gun shops that are refusing to let folks do transfers. Once that told me they would do it last month are not anymore. Using DOJ audits as an excuse.
Old 02-23-2018, 3:48 PM
No Prisoners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
After seeking counsel and reviewing the text of the new law we are reopening the Private Ammo Sales forum.

We are simply providing a venue to arrange for the legal buying and selling.
As always it is up to each member to make sure their sales and/or purchases are conducted in a legal manner.

Just to be clear and for those unfamiliar with the law:
I don't know if there is a place to do this, but it would also be nice to have a way of sharing which retail ammo vendors have a very good selection of ammunition.

For instance if I were looking for a vendor who sells match grade .308, or 6.5cm, or stocks CCI Minimag. It would be nice to know which stores in, say the East Bay, carry a good selection of each caliber.

I think finding a good selection of ammo is going to be much harder than just finding who carries 55gr 5.56.

Would a separate thread where forum members can share names and locations of good ammo stores work? IDK
Old 02-23-2018, 4:06 PM
No Prisoners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveDR. View Post
So between my wife and myself we have 1000rds of ammo and want to sell it to one individual. So she sell her 500 and I sell my 500 each as completely separate transactions (through an FFL) and the individual takes home a total of 1000rds of ammo he bought in two separate transactions. Got to love laws that do nothing but make honest people have to jump through hoops because we all know the bad guys will too.
No, the bad guys will just go underground and buy on the NEWLY CREATED BLACK MARKET for ammo that never existed before. Great job Sacramento.

No self respecting criminal is going to buy ammo on the legal market.
Old 02-23-2018, 5:10 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
I don't know if there is a place to do this, but it would also be nice to have a way of sharing which retail ammo vendors have a very good selection of ammunition.

For instance if I were looking for a vendor who sells match grade .308, or 6.5cm, or stocks CCI Minimag. It would be nice to know which stores in, say the East Bay, carry a good selection of each caliber.

I think finding a good selection of ammo is going to be much harder than just finding who carries 55gr 5.56.

Would a separate thread where forum members can share names and locations of good ammo stores work? IDK
That's not a bad idea, maybe something in the Deals section.

It also gives me an idea for a community thread here in the Sales section.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 02-23-2018, 6:33 PM

That is a great addition. We may need to regionalize it though, else it could get a bit unruly?
Old 02-25-2018, 9:47 PM

How are your FFLs doing this? I contacted 3 FFLs in my area and all of them said they are not doing private party ammo transfers and that the DOJ has not even set up the required website that the FFL is supposed to upload the information to

Can anyone confirm FFLs have the ability to process these transactions?
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 02-26-2018, 6:41 AM

There are some discussions is the FFL's forum which may shed some light from the FFLs' perspective. The second thread may be a bit out of date, but is still informative.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1428022
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1410115
Old 03-05-2018, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auffie.hk View Post
For my recent transfer, my FFL charged $5. I think this fee is set by DOJ regulations, and because it is low some FFLs might be unwilling to conduct ammo transfers.
Where at?

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeandgunsandammo View Post
Where at?

guntransfers.com in Santa Clara.

I did this ammo transfer together with a PPT DROS, so I cannot say with certainty that a standalone ammo transfer will be done. After all, the fee is cheap and there's nothing for the FFL for the time and trouble he has to go through. If Mike (this FFL) is willing, think of it as goodwill (he's a good guy) and direct some of your and your friends' business to him.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auffie.hk View Post
guntransfers.com in Santa Clara.

I did this ammo transfer together with a PPT DROS, so I cannot say with certainty that a standalone ammo transfer will be done. After all, the fee is cheap and there's nothing for the FFL for the time and trouble he has to go through. If Mike (this FFL) is willing, think of it as goodwill (he's a good guy) and direct some of your and your friends' business to him.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
OK thanks. A bit to far.

Old 03-06-2018, 5:42 PM

How does this affect ammo for ammo TRADES.
I want to offer some ammo for trade only.
Do I still need to go through the same process as if the ammo was being sold?
Old 03-06-2018, 7:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedkills66 View Post
How does this affect ammo for ammo TRADES.
I want to offer some ammo for trade only.
Do I still need to go through the same process as if the ammo was being sold?
All transfers
The law does not specify "sales"
Same as firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-14-2018, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

Default Ammo Sales Forum RE-OPENED

So, one could (legally) go shooting with a buddy, and give him (not sell) 500 rounds of 5.56 for testing and evaluation?

“Here’s some Ammo go shoot it and tell me what you think?”

Is there a section that defines “Consultant-Evaluator”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by deephouse; 04-14-2018 at 7:58 AM..
Old 05-11-2018, 1:53 PM

OK, I read thru the above posts and Googled the issue(s). Ive contacted 3 local FFLs and received this: 1. We will charge $2.00/box and a 20% total value fee, 2. We don't do ammo transfers, 3. According to the regulations, you can give the ammo to a relative, friend, shooting buddy without going thru an FFL.

I have ~2k rounds of 45 I want to get rid of before I move out of state - and honestly need advice. Thanks in advance for the help.