Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-29-2013, 9:40 PM

Default CMP Kimber 82 G Rifle

Anyone have any experience recently ordering a Kimber 82G from the CMP? Do these have to be delivered via a CA FFL? I've read through the CMP order info but haven't been able to find the delivery requirements?

Thanks in advance. KeevinW
Old 05-29-2013, 9:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's a surplus rifle, CMP sends it to your front door via FedEx.

It's the commercial rifles from CMP that need to go through an FFL.
Old 05-30-2013, 5:54 AM
Veteran Member

The quality has been very high, but you do need to disassemble the bolt and make sure there's no rust or gunked up old preservative in there.

As noted they'll ship right to your door, but when long gun registration starts Jan 1st 2014 that will change so put in your order now.
Old 05-30-2013, 6:09 AM

Yes, they are superb rifles for the money. About 10lbs or pure walnut and steel. And I purchased the 'rusty' one, which had no rust, just some old dried up yellow preservative on it.

And they (at least mine) shoots very well with any decent quality ammo.

WTS/WTT: Two Ser 80 Colt 1911s (Gold Cup and Combat Commander in NorCal (San Jose, Sacramento): Link
Old 05-30-2013, 8:35 AM

I should get one, too, huh?...to have a li'l bit of sanctioned US Govt firearms history. Man, the irony if it in light if all that's going on in our Country with firearms and the antis.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:53 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Yes, right to your door as others have said. The NICS (background check) is done by CMP. Get one you will not be sorry. Might be a single shot but every shot goes right where you aim it (skill is still an issue but not the rifle).
Old 05-30-2013, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coverme2 View Post
I should get one, too, huh?...to have a li'l bit of sanctioned US Govt firearms history. Man, the irony if it in light if all that's going on in our Country with firearms and the antis.
If you want an accurate but not Olympic grade single shot bolt action .22 for cheap it's kind of a no-brainer to get one. If you don't have a use for that, nevermind.
Old 05-30-2013, 3:38 PM

If a person wants one I would not hesitate as last time they were offered they went quickly. Many "Rusties" were purchased for $425, cleaned up and sold on GunBroker for $650+ so it is not like you can't sell it if you decide its not for you. Personally I think they are worth the $650 price so why wait @ $425.
Old 05-30-2013, 4:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
If you want an accurate but not Olympic grade single shot bolt action .22 for cheap it's kind of a no-brainer to get one. If you don't have a use for that, nevermind.
Personally for me it was more of an experiment with aperture sights, since getting the rifle with the sights cost less than what it would be to equip similar on an AR.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM

Mine arrives in the morning. Look out squirrels.
Old 05-31-2013, 6:39 PM

Got a chance to visit the Southern Store with minutes to spare before closing time. Had them delay shipping until I would be back home. Looks even better than I remember in the store.

Thanks FedEx

Dog approves

Unboxed

Cleaned up and waiting for the bolt to soak.

The ghost of Chesty Puller looked over my shoulder as I spent a few hours getting 20 years of preservatives off of it. Not sure I like the iron sights yet, but will wait a bit before I move to a scope. Managed to reduce the squirrel population a bit this afternoon but still need to refine the sights and relearn my fundamentals.
Old 05-31-2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut037 View Post
Got a chance to visit the Southern Store with minutes to spare before closing time. Had them delay shipping until I would be back home. Looks even better than I remember in the store.

Thanks FedEx

Dog approves

Unboxed

Cleaned up and waiting for the bolt to soak.

The ghost of Chesty Puller looked over my shoulder as I spent a few hours getting 20 years of preservatives off of it. Not sure I like the iron sights yet, but will wait a bit before I move to a scope. Managed to reduce the squirrel population a bit this afternoon but still need to refine the sights and relearn my fundamentals.
Nice, nice wood on that one. Congrats and don't give up on those aperture sights, with a little practice you will shoot as good as with a scope. By the way the adjustments on those are 1/5" per click @ 100yds, 1/10" per click @ 50yds, 1/20" per click @ 25yds. Mine loves Wolf MT or SK Std+.