Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Lesson learned today. If you clean off the cosmoline with some old undies it looks like you **** yourself and just threw them out
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DoorImpala View Post
Lesson learned today. If you clean off the cosmoline with some old undies it looks like you **** yourself and just threw them out

I just picked up more paint thinner, metal parts I soaked in thinner overnight came out clean without any oily residue, unlike my hot water effort. Which cleaned ok but left everything with an oily residue AND a pile of cosmoline floating in and stuck to the sides of my 5gal bucket. Ya don't think i woulda use the sink do ya! So the one I'm getting on the 14th will get the thinner Tx. Actually had forgotten about that from my Garand cleaning days!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSer45 View Post
wooo nice trickster! Did you do anything to the wood or just clean it?
Just steam cleaned it, hit it with some OOOO steel wool and put a coat of Fairtrimmer's Military oX Stock Oil on it.

You can't buy happiness but you can buy guns and that's pretty much the same thing.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"

Last edited by TRICKSTER; 11-10-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Ordered one

Old 11-10-2012, 12:45 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post

I just picked up more paint thinner, metal parts I soaked in thinner overnight came out clean without any oily residue, unlike my hot water effort. Which cleaned ok but left everything with an oily residue AND a pile of cosmoline floating in and stuck to the sides of my 5gal bucket. Ya don't think i woulda use the sink do ya! So the one I'm getting on the 14th will get the thinner Tx. Actually had forgotten about that from my Garand cleaning days!
Yeah, mineral spirits always worked for me. Not too toxic, cheap, and like you said, it gets stuff CLEAN.
Old 11-10-2012, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Here it is all clean. I did nothing to the stock but just steam the crap out of it with a steamer

For the gas piston. I cut off a small batch of thick cloth and jammed it in there using the piston. Removed all the cosmo out of the hole like a playdough toy in just one try.

Last edited by 2DoorImpala; 11-10-2012 at 3:08 PM..
Old 11-10-2012, 3:59 PM

all gone

http://www.jgsales.com/rifles-c-209_218.html
Old 11-10-2012, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad I placed one more order for 5 on Thursday. Hopefully they aren't the bottom of the barrel ones.

For Sale: IHC M1 Garand, Mega Maten .308 AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 11-10-2012, 4:06 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Here it is all clean. I did nothing to the stock but just steam the crap out of it with a steamer

For the gas piston. I cut off a small batch of thick cloth and jammed it in there using the piston. Removed all the cosmo out of the hole like a playdough toy in just one try.
Wow, your SKS looks great!
Old 11-10-2012, 4:41 PM
CGN Contributor

I finally got around to checking mine out. I selected matching numbers. So far, it looks pretty good. I won't have time to mess with it for awhile, so no pics yet.
Old 11-10-2012, 4:50 PM

I got around to clean 3 of mine. The gas tube and the piston where electropenciled to match. I don't see any signs of scrubbing though. I just they just numbered those that way?

If so, then those 3 are all matching.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

WOW J&G must be out of them, took them off their website and no more. Those went really fast.
Old 11-11-2012, 1:12 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
WOW J&G must be out of them, took them off their website and no more. Those went really fast.
Yep... Bobby Ricky got the last two.
Old 11-11-2012, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Apparently the first 500 went so fast they bought another 500. That 500 is now gone. I hope they find more if I don't get a Sino-Soviet in my next order. These things are a steal of a deal.

Quote:
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 11-11-2012, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

Old 11-11-2012, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-05 Xiuhcoatl View Post
First rule of C&R is if you snooze, you lose. I've never waited to pull the trigger on a C&R purchase and been happy about it. I've never bought one too early and felt too sad about it.

Quote:
Old 11-11-2012, 9:50 AM

think they might still have them at Century..
Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Sks's have been removed from the JG website
Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangerven View Post
think they might still have them at Century..
They can still be put into the shopping cart at Century.
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 AM
CGSSA Associate

Default classic will have them on the 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDOG805 View Post
If anyone decides they dont want a couple after you receive yours and youre in nearby ventura county and are wiling to sell please feel free to message me.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=642908
Old 11-12-2012, 3:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad 11 View Post
I agree with the others, your rifle is really unique. If it were me id keep it as it is. That stock is what it is, can you really make it pretty? If you need a straighter stock there's a place selling decent Romanian ones for $20 and keep the old one original http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=109380.0 ( A bunch of this batch have Romanian stocks too. )

Maybe show it at the Sksboards, they're debating the Albanian connection and yours would be a very interesting addition to that question.
Vlad,
Just wanted to thank you for "routing" me to the SKS boards, I hadn't even thought about posting it there. I consider myself "better educated" now as to the significance of this rifle because of that recommendation. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow on the way to Reno to put a few rounds through her!
Old 11-12-2012, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

No worries .. I learned something too (did not realize just how much Albanian bolt carriers are worth!)

Don't post much there myself but they know their SKS's, great place to glean info.

Happy to help save a nice piece, glad it worked out for you
Old 11-12-2012, 5:08 PM

Just got mine from the brown shorts today. Matching numbers on the bolt carrier, receiver and stock. Cosmo everywhere but the bluing is nearly about 90%. The stock has a few dings but they're minor. It's actually in better shape than my Romanian SKS.

Ordered it from J&G on election night and paid for hand select. I'm really stoked with the condition it's in and will post some pix once I get her cleaned up.

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)

Last edited by MrTokarev; 11-12-2012 at 5:14 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 6:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTokarev View Post
Just got mine from the brown shorts today. Matching numbers on the bolt carrier, receiver and stock. Cosmo everywhere but the bluing is nearly about 90%. The stock has a few dings but they're minor. It's actually in better shape than my Romanian SKS.

Ordered it from J&G on election night and paid for hand select. I'm really stoked with the condition it's in and will post some pix once I get her cleaned up.
Sounds nice, pic when you gettem! I'm wondering what going to showup Wed I ordered a matching hand select. Jokingly I asked them for less cosmoline

Just got thier email about the Yugo Toks being instock.
Old 11-12-2012, 7:39 PM

My two from J&G showed up this afternoon.

The one I chose matching numbers for is in really nice shape. 90% blue remaining, stock only has minor scrapes, and not inch-deep in cosmoline. A quick cleanup and she'll be looking spiffy.

The one where I didn't choose matching numbers is quite a bit rougher looking. Lots of cosmoline, lots of dings in the stock, and about 60% blue remaining. However, I think after I clean her up she'll look great at the range...definitely a shooter.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon, but I feel that these were a good investment at $500 for both. I think I'd feel that way even if both were in rougher shape.
Old 11-12-2012, 8:33 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Can you give us a clue as to what kind of steamer? Clothes steamer or something else? Where does one obtain one of these steamers? They look like they do a great job but I don't know what kind of steamer to get or where to get one.

Quote:

Old 11-12-2012, 9:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Can you give us a clue as to what kind of steamer? Clothes steamer or something else? Where does one obtain one of these steamers? They look like they do a great job but I don't know what kind of steamer to get or where to get one.
I use a Tobi Garment Steamer. Melts the cosmo right off. I think we got it at Walmart.
Just don't tell my wife.

You can't buy happiness but you can buy guns and that's pretty much the same thing.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Old 11-12-2012, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

I used heat gun to clean metal . Used it a bit on wood where cosmo was built up on insides , will steam the rest with old iron or shark floor cleaner from Costco . The bores look to be very bright with decent grooves .

Ya!
Old 11-12-2012, 9:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Took mine apart just now (yeah, I decided to keep it). All numbers match, the numbers on the gas tube and piston are electropenciled (still match though). Do they even stamp the numbers there?

It came full of this liquid kind of cosmo (I'm more used to the caked kind). So far it's cleaning off the metal parts fairly easily. The metal parts are in a great condition, aside from the bluing, which is fairly worn.

Now, about those steamers... What are they? That's as far as I'm willing to go on the stock.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 11-12-2012, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

OK here is my SKS from J&G via Scobun. After doing a complete cleaning job of the metal parts I did a light sanding of the stock starting with sandpaper followed by 0000 steel wool then applied a nice coat of carnauba wax. Stock does have some dents and dings but those are just part of the beauty of these rifles.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Finished cleaning the metal. There was more cosmo than it appeared... much more. On the upside, the metal has no pitting or rust whatsoever, and isn't even worn (other than the bluing). The bore is mirror-bright.

Next step - steaming the stock. That should take care of some of the dings, right?
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 11-13-2012, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Sounds nice, pic when you gettem! I'm wondering what going to showup Wed I ordered a matching hand select. Jokingly I asked them for less cosmoline

Just got thier email about the Yugo Toks being instock.
Just finished cleaning her up. Not as much cosmo as I expected so a quick mineral spirit bath cleaned up most metal parts without too much hassle. The matching number list is as follows; receiver, bolt carrier, bolt, trigger assembly, receiver cover and stock.

Here's one of the cleaned rifle. It's the one on the bottom, the one on top is my Romy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sks copy.jpg (95.7 KB, 31 views)

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 11-13-2012, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

I called J&G today after lunch just to check and they have a couple left. They had a couple regular grade, one hand pick and one numbers matching.

I asked the nice lady how the hand select looked and she went and got it, she said metal was nice, about 80% bluing left, no visible rust at all, dark wood, no cracks but some dings and dents, then she said it was probably one of the better ones she has seen..... ... I said I will take it.

We will see how well her discription is in a week or so.
Old 11-13-2012, 6:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTokarev View Post
Just finished cleaning her up. Not as much cosmo as I expected so a quick mineral spirit bath cleaned up most metal parts without too much hassle. The matching number list is as follows; receiver, bolt carrier, bolt, trigger assembly, receiver cover and stock.

Here's one of the cleaned rifle. It's the one on the bottom, the one on top is my Romy.
Ya did good!
Old 11-13-2012, 7:57 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
I use a Tobi Garment Steamer. Melts the cosmo right off. I think we got it at Walmart.
Just don't tell my wife.
Thanks for the tip!