Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-06-2011, 4:33 PM

Default Need some help convincing parents

So im 16 and going to be a Senior in HS this next year. Last week I got a call from the marine corps, we talked for a while on the phone and I went in to their office to talk. They had me take a test on the computer, I forget the name of it and i scored a 75, which i guess is really good as they were all giving me high fives and saying that was one of the best they had in that office (Elk Grove).

After that my recruiter had me take a bunch of tags with things like self reliance, courage, education, and other things and to place them in order of importance. After i did that the recruiter said that im pretty much what the corps needs.

We talked alot about the education benefits and the different MOS's. However when i got home from the appointment my mom was pretty pissed, and my grandma even more mad, even though I said that I would get all the college I want, and a technical non combatant MOS (Firefighting) they still hear Marine and think jumping out of airplanes and shooting people.

Any ideas on what I can tell them to ease in the idea? Im not going to let them prevent me from doing what I want, but i dont want them to hate me for it.
Old 07-06-2011, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Stand your ground and by your convictions ...I was 23 when I joined and my parents were still adamantly against it. Don't wanna burst your bubble butt technically there is no MOS that is combat free..hence the term " every Marine a rifleman" don't start bas blood with your family over it...btw firefighter is Arff aircraft rescue fire fighting ...
Old 07-06-2011, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

They won't hate you. They might be pissed for a while. If you want to serve and you don't, you'll be kicking yourself for not joining. Unless they offer to send you to college, then do that and maybe get commissioned if you still want to serve.
Old 07-06-2011, 4:48 PM
Veteran Member

When you ship to boot and ...IF you graDuate and they see you in your service charlies they'll forget they were ever mad and theyll show u off to EVERYONE
Old 07-06-2011, 5:01 PM
Veteran Member

TELL em you'll come out light years ahead in maturity level, you won't be like some guys in ur town who never did anything with their life...you can go to school once you get to your duty station while you're on active duty even overseas all on the .gov dime. And you will still ha e the post 9/11 go bill if you decide to get out after your 4 or 5 year contract which pays you to go to school and covers basically all tuition and some bo...no recruiter spin here from an active duty Marine...btw you've still gotta take the real ASVAB..YOU TOOK the practice...don't go infantry unless you REALLY think its your calling ...there is no market for infantry in the real world....not knocking 0300 guys I work to support you guys ...just saying
Old 07-06-2011, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6114DAVE View Post
TELL em you'll come out light years ahead in maturity level, you won't be like some guys in ur town who never did anything with their life...you can go to school once you get to your duty station while you're on active duty even overseas all on the .gov dime. And you will still ha e the post 9/11 go bill if you decide to get out after your 4 or 5 year contract which pays you to go to school and covers basically all tuition and some bo...no recruiter spin here from an active duty Marine...btw you've still gotta take the real ASVAB..YOU TOOK the practice...don't go infantry unless you REALLY think its your calling ...there is no market for infantry in the real world....not knocking 0300 guys I work to support you guys ...just saying
Everybody loves to hire a Marine, even the 03 field....
Old 07-07-2011, 5:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster85 View Post
Everybody loves to hire a Marine, even the 03 field....
YES ...you're right . I have the utmost respect for grunts
Old 07-06-2011, 5:04 PM

Just do what makes YOU happy. I enlisted at 17 and it took alot of bugging my parents to sign the parental consent but they couldnt be more proud of me now. Just try to ease their mind about it, and tell them its what you want to do, if it is what you want to do, and stick to your guns. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-06-2011, 5:06 PM

You wont be sorry with the choice. Just stand your ground and talk with them about it in an adult manner. Yes every Marine is a rifle man though and most all of us will deploy at one point or another. Focus now on PT. Pullups, crunches, and running 4-5 miles a day. The key to boot camp is staying mentally focused and not giving up. I hated it while I was there, but now looking back on it I cant really recall the really bad parts and we laugh about the good/not so bad parts. Make sure it is what you want though before you raise your right hand and take that oath though.
Old 07-06-2011, 5:15 PM

First off, thanks for all of the comments.

I am supposed to get a call back sometime this week from the recruiter to go take the real ASVAB and talk some more and maybe workout with the guys down there.

I dont know if its the same with the Marines, but my cousin got a crap load of bonuses and promises in his contract for the Navy, but does this happen in the Marines?

Last edited by Sionadi; 07-06-2011 at 5:19 PM..
Old 07-06-2011, 5:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It sounds like he contacted you, you didn't contact him. Which brings me to my next comment. I would join the Marines only if you want to be a Marine. Not because you want to be a "firefighter" or anything else. If you want job training, etc. look at all the services and take the best deal. The Marines aren't for everyone. Trust me on this. ONLY sign up if you want to be a Marine. Don't sign up cause of a sales job. He's looking for people who want to be Marines. Keep that in mind.
Old 07-06-2011, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
It sounds like he contacted you, you didn't contact him. Which brings me to my next comment. I would join the Marines only if you want to be a Marine. Not because you want to be a "firefighter" or anything else. If you want job training, etc. look at all the services and take the best deal. The Marines aren't for everyone. Trust me on this. ONLY sign up if you want to be a Marine. Don't sign up cause of a sales job. He's looking for people who want to be Marines. Keep that in mind.
Ive been saying I wanted to be a marine since I was 5. So the want is there.
Old 07-07-2011, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionadi View Post
Ive been saying I wanted to be a marine since I was 5. So the want is there.
Cool. Hold out for what you want. Remember, if you fail school, your next stop can be infantry.
Old 07-06-2011, 5:42 PM

The test you took is the EST(forgot what it stands for), it looks at your ability in math and english. Don't just look into one job field, after you do take your ASVAB let your Marine recruiter present you what you qualify in terms of your score, remember some fields need to have certain medical test i.e. color blind-you can't be a Military Police, etc.

Convincing your parents rest solely on you with some help from your recruiter. If you wanted to be a Marine bad enough you will be able to convince your parents. Remember, you still have to graduate from high school, don't get any tattoos, don't get into trouble with the law...even a traffic ticket. Any problem can prevent you from getting certain jobs and or being a Marine.

Bonuses are for well qualified individuals, if you are qualified then you can get it.

Do not join because of bonuses, money, jobs, etc. All services have the same bonuses and incentives, it is just not being advertise more in the Marines. Why you might ask?If you join the Marines just because of bonuses and such alone, you will hate it.......Join the Marines because you want to be a Marine, it is not for everybody.

Goodluck on your decision.

Last edited by jaysponger; 07-06-2011 at 5:54 PM..
Old 07-06-2011, 6:40 PM

Go in to each conversation with a plan. Be prepared. Show the benefits and try to counter their concerns with rational arguments. The PM I sent can be applied to your conversation with your parents and grandmother.
Old 07-07-2011, 3:27 PM

Slow your roll and realize that the recruiters are telling you what they tell EVERY swinging johnson that shows up in there. You have 2 years to decide what you wanna do, until then keep your nose clean, stay fit, and keep your grades up. If at 18 you decide the Corps is for you (and it is certainly NOT for everyone, even many active Marines dont enjoy it) then by all means go for it.

Your parent need to get over it. When you are an adult they can either support you or eff off, and in most cases they will support you.

Being a firefighter doesnt mean you wont see combat. There are alot of combat action ribbons floating around EVERY MOS.
Old 07-07-2011, 3:34 PM

What questions should I be asking the recruiter? I know right now that if I cant get my contract the way I want it I will walk out, but how can I get bonuses and promises from the recruiters?
Old 07-07-2011, 3:41 PM

Quote:
What questions should I be asking the recruiter? I know right now that if I cant get my contract the way I want it I will walk out, but how can I get bonuses and promises from the recruiters?
You should go in with a plan and a set of demands, not questions. You need to research what job you want and dont give up til you get it. He will tell you its full and you cant get it til next October (random month), but you can ship now if you take (random) job. Dont give in, just say you want XXXX job (NOT FIELD, YOU WANT A SPECIFIC MOS) and you arent shipping til you get it.

I got a medical reclass in the fleet, but I shipped with the job I wanted and completed that school. My bro-in-law just chose an occupational field, and ended up with a horrible job in that field. Now we both do jobs that we absolutely hate.
Old 07-07-2011, 3:55 PM

Default Officer program

I would think about going into an Officer program, They will pay for all your degree.
Old 07-07-2011, 4:25 PM

Do what you need to do for yourself, just make sure you're making the best educated decision for yourself. You're coming close to that point in your life when people can't make decisions for you anymore. If you're going to join, you're going to join, whether it be at 17 or 18.

I gave up admissions to top tier UCs to try to pursue the mustang route. My peers may think they're living up the life going to school but I feel the Marines has put me light years ahead of them in terms of being financially stable and maturity. I really can't name a lot of my classmates who have: paid off a sports car, have thousands invested in a Roth IRA and Thrift Savings Plan, and will have no student loan debt without any money from the parents.
"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 07-07-2011, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves100 View Post
I would think about going into an Officer program, They will pay for all your degree.
Can you give me a rundown on what a officer program is/involves?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Can you give me a rundown on what a officer program is/involves?
Officer programs like OCS are available to individuals who have earned a 4 year degree and meet competitive academic and physical requirements. Others go ROTC (which sounds like a more appropriate route in your case if you choose to serve as a commissioned officer). Others I know who are pursuing or have achieved specialized advanced degrees such as medical and dental doctorates attend a shortened version of officer training and end up practicing their specialties in the military as commissioned officers (army/navy/airforce specific).

As others have stated for enlistment, definitely pick out an MOS unless you REALLY have no idea and don't care what you will be doing. No doubt the military will mature you faster beyond your civilian peers. A commissioned route of first earning a 4 yr degree may make your parents more receptive to the idea of you in the military. Either way, if you do enlist soon your family may be upset at first but will more than likely get over it in due time.
Old 07-07-2011, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themailman View Post
You should go in with a plan and a set of demands, not questions. You need to research what job you want and dont give up til you get it. He will tell you its full and you cant get it til next October (random month), but you can ship now if you take (random) job. Dont give in, just say you want XXXX job (NOT FIELD, YOU WANT A SPECIFIC MOS) and you arent shipping til you get it.

I got a medical reclass in the fleet, but I shipped with the job I wanted and completed that school. My bro-in-law just chose an occupational field, and ended up with a horrible job in that field. Now we both do jobs that we absolutely hate.
If you got the job you wanted then why do you hate it?
Old 07-07-2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
If you got the job you wanted then why do you hate it?
I no longer do that job, thus the reclass (see lat move). Just because you chose a job and think it sounds cool, well, it doesnt mean squat. What you read and see about the Marine Corps is really only the cool stuff (and when it's cool, its pretty cool) but you dont see the day to day life. You dont see the constant BS you will have to put up with. But, for alot of Marines, the good outweighs the bad. Its all about your attitude and motivation. YOU have the power to feel good at the end of the day, but sometimes its hard to do.
Old 07-07-2011, 6:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

They call that the Big Green Weenie.
Old 07-07-2011, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
They call that the Big Green Weenie.
LOL, me and that weenie are well acquainted
Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
LOL, me and that weenie are well cquainted
I eventually stopped fighting the big green weenie...lol
Old 07-07-2011, 6:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Forget promises. They're worthless. All that matters is what's on your contract. I fell for the talk. Combat Arms Bonus! They know you're interested in tanks, and you got a good shot at it! etc., etc. I got infantry. Not that I didn't like it, well, it was okay. You better think long and hard and don't listen to any promises or buy into the schmoozing. No regrets man, have no regrets!
Old 07-07-2011, 5:28 PM

When I was a recruiter I never spoke with someone under 18 with out parents present or at least them knowing where the child was. Obvious exceptions of course at high schools. You need to do your homework and check out ROTC programs, talk with every branch before deciding on Marines. All the programs the Marine recruiters spoke of are the same for all branches.
They talked to you to put it in your head early, and don't get me wrong serving in the military is a honorable profession, just make sure it is what you want and the right choice for you.
Old 07-07-2011, 5:49 PM

Oh that brings back memories. I was curious about the Marines right after high school. Took the asvab and got the "that's the highest score we've ever seen" talk. Then it started. 2 highly motivated marine recruiters versus me. They offered to pick me up twice a week and take me anywhere I wanted, do pretty much whatever I wanted. I would have signed up except:

1) The story about Gunny Ramrod seemed a little too familiar (gets pissed off again, but this time steals an airplane and buzzes the control tower, making the controllers spill their coffee all over themselves).

2) The story about all the unprotected sex around the world. Sex is great, but it sounded like these guys were one of the primary vectors for std's.

3) The story about the promiscuous lady soldier with the graphic details about what they saw... nevermind... too painful to remember.

Joined the IDF instead. They didn't have to make up or embellish any stories at the recruiting office -- "Best little whorehouse in the Middle East."
Old 07-07-2011, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member

I went into delayed enlistment when I was 17 and went off to basic training a month after I graduated. My mom couldn't sign the paperwork quick enough. Best thing I ever did. Went to college when I was older and more mature. No way I could have handled that crap at 18. I needed discipline then...and now.
Old 07-07-2011, 9:48 PM

Whatever you do, don't let them know when you start jumping out of airplanes and shooting people.
Old 07-09-2011, 9:29 AM

Get your college first! Its only a few years, a tiny span of time in the span of your lifetime. The doors you can open with a degree are countless. Even in the Marine Corps. Make sure your contract is tight (airwing is good!).. a good friend of mine did the firefighting gig in the Air Wing, He was a happy camper and I was quite envious. The Corps is not for everyone, that is for sure, attitude is everything with that life. Stay positive and motivated and you'll get through the hardest parts in no time.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am a high school teacher and I agree with the recruiters when they say school is for fools. When you join the military you have pay, housing and importantly a personel record where you have been evaluated and documented performance. This will help when you want a civillian job because its better than your starbucks supervisor saying you make customers good coffee.
And when you want to go to college you can. Plus youll be in the real world and probably not waste your time on some dumb useless major like a lot of civillians get brainwashed into doing. I dont know about the usmc but the army has a program called green to gold where you basically go to school full time in the army. Rotc is another option. Just ask your older friends how easy finding a job is after college. Finishing rotc will give you a job that pays a nice living and will either give you responsibility over a platoon or a 10 million dollar budget or more as an xo. That aslo carries well as experience in the civillian world. Almost any job now has experience as a prerequisite and the military is one of the few places where they will offer it to you at a competetive wage.
Joining the military has so many benefits that I did it at 27 with an established career and I just wish I did it earlier.
Your parents will be proud of you after boot camp. My only suggestion is to get the most pog job possible if you want to go to college and look at all the branches and options before going with one. Remember that recruiters got their job because they love their service and want to sell it.
Old 07-09-2011, 9:16 PM

Cheesy has a good point! Jobs after college are getting scarce for new graduates with degrees. And those chasing these jobs are facing stiff competition for them.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

let them know your desire and such,if they refuse to sign ,keep your conviction and keep your slate clean as you can because you can join at 18 without a parents wish's.
my parenst signed off when i was 17 and went in to the navy.
Old 07-23-2011, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

I really doubt they're pissed at you. They're just worried for your well being. My mom cried for a while when my older brother said he would join the Army. I was damn proud of him and stood behind his decision, my parents not so much. They eventually realized that it was his call. What you should do is try to shore up support from people your mom and grandma respect.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 07-23-2011, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

I signed up and THEN told my parents. Wait till you're 18, though, and make sure you read everything you sign. The recruiter will try to rush you through it. Remember, whatever he promises you, if it's not on the yellow contract you're signing, you're not getting it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
I signed up and THEN told my parents. Wait till you're 18, though, and make sure you read everything you sign. The recruiter will try to rush you through it. Remember, whatever he promises you, if it's not on the yellow contract you're signing, you're not getting it.

+1000000

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.