Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM

Default 07 FFl remarking listed lower

There was a thread about this already that I bumped but I thought I would ask here as well. What's the consensus on having an out of state 07 remark/remanufacture a listed lower (knights SR15)? Is this legal or on the fringe?

For reference
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...84#post5370484
Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I suspect that the BATF would have a serious issue with that. If you remove the serial number, that is a serious problem right there. Overall, it is just a bad idea and asking for trouble. You would be better off getting a new lower made.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
I suspect that the BATF would have a serious issue with that. If you remove the serial number, that is a serious problem right there. Overall, it is just a bad idea and asking for trouble. You would be better off getting a new lower made.
I guess I should have clarified, not talking about removing any serial numbers or markings, this is what I want done: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=327169684

Valkyrie Arms in milpitas did those, my understanding is that gun is no longer a "Knights Armament SR15", but in fact a "Valkyrie Arms SR15". In the thread linked in the op however, it was stated that the work had to be preformed outside of CA. Looking for a second opinion on this.
Old 02-10-2013, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If it still has the other markings, then it is still banned.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-10-2013, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
If it still has the other markings, then it is still banned.
I disagree. By remarking a receiver, the 07FFL has essentially legally manufactured a new firearm. As long as it is entered in their books as a new one of theirs, it will be considered a new firearm with the make, model and SN as marked. The old firearm will be considered legally destroyed, and must also be logged out as such. And there shouldn't be any issue with removing SN's because the entire (old) firearm was destroyed.

Unless the CA 07FFL also has an AW permit, this must be done by an out of state 07 because CA FFL's cannot acquire banned AW's without the permit.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It still has the markings on it. You are talking about not physically destroying the firearm, but on paper and there is an issue with contacting the original manufacturer. Also, if the original serial number is removed, it is a problem and if it is not removed, then it is also a problem.

A lower is not an AW. The ban by name also requires that it be a semi-auto firearm, which a lower is not.