Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-04-2016, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnncld90 View Post
I do go backpacking and camping in remote spots so I was thinking of putting for personal attention why I am traveling and camping and hiking because i go alome alot and in remote spots where there often isnt help.
Relax.
This isn't LA or OC... you don't need some kind of extraordinary statement.

McMahon has stated on live interviews that if a person is not prohibited, and is of good moral character, the department WANTS to issue them a permit for self defense.

The more general you can be, the better.
Don't just say "Personal protection" (though that MAY be enough)... just include those two words in a simple, clear sentence.

My statement included only 13 words.
I don't even think she read the whole thing... "personal protection" was like the 2nd or 3rd word and I don't think she looked at it long enough to see anything more. Seriously... it was a glance, not even a "look"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScorpio View Post
I have no idea what current birth certificates look like.
They look exactly like any other formal state document... DMV title, marriage certificate, etc.... They simply photocopy your original cert onto the colored paper, then stamp it "Certified" and emboss it.

I think it has a micropattern that reads "VOID" on any copies made of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 PM

Quick question. How strict are they with the "grant deed." I own my home so I don't have a rental agreement and don't know where my grant deed is. Any suggestions?

thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM

Default San Bernardino Denial!

I just received my letter stating that I was denied because I did not meet the criteria for "good moral character as required by Penal Code Section 26150. The records supporting this decision are investigative records that are confidential pursuant to Code 6254(f) and the sheriff WILL NOT provide you with the detailed information concerning the investigation."
I now have 10 days to appeal this decision and the Sheriff or his designee will consider the appeal and his/her decision is final.
Brief background: I had some charges against me and ALL have been judicially dismissed per 1203.4 PC. The last incident was in 2005.
I have a state exposed firearm permit through BSIS (security guard work) and have the states of Arizona, Nevada, Florida, and Utah CCW's, all within the last 2 years.
In speaking with one of the ladies at the office, she said my file looked good and that I need not worry as they were handing them out "like candy."
Now, I'm denied and they won't explain the reasons for it as it is "confidential."
I will appeal but what am I going to address in my appeal if they can not disclose the "confidential" reason(s) for my denial?

Any ideas/leads as to what I should say in my appeal letter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mud
Old 02-05-2016, 12:45 PM

I dont have mine yet so this is just a guess, but are you a resident here permanantly?
And are your other ccw's non resident?
Maybe they think you dont live her primarily with all those other ccw's.
But idk man, that's a major bummer sorry to hear that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2016, 1:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickV110 View Post
Quick question. How strict are they with the "grant deed." I own my home so I don't have a rental agreement and don't know where my grant deed is. Any suggestions?

thanks.
I got a copy of my deed from the county. It was fast, easy and accepted at my interview.
Old 02-05-2016, 1:10 PM

No grant deed? You should be fine with a property tax bill instead.

"Current property tax bill, Grant Deed or Rental Agreement"
Old 02-05-2016, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWeeds View Post
I will appeal but what am I going to address in my appeal if they can not disclose the "confidential" reason(s) for my denial?

Any ideas/leads as to what I should say in my appeal letter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mud
Are you able/willing to openly discuss your previous issues (at least to a certain extent)? At the very least the criminal nature of your issues? IE: firearms related, drugs, alcohol, etc... You mentioned your last issue was 2005, meaning you've had other issues. Without know anything more about what's going on, it's hard to give you advice.
Old 02-05-2016, 3:01 PM

So I got the call today! Permit is ready. That's the good news! Bad news is I can't pick it up till Monday!

Timeline
04/20/15 - Called to schedule appt.
07/15/15 - Interview & Live scan
10/06/15 - Error on Live scan and needed to resubmit
12/28/15 - Received call and passed background
01/30/16 - 8 hour class/range
02/05/16 - Received call permit is ready for pickup
02/08/16 - Going to pick up permit
Old 02-05-2016, 3:14 PM

Thanks guys for your input, had my interview this morning everything went great, didn't ask any questions about my good cause, basically said it was for personal protection and he said ok and the we chatted about my job and then went and did livescan and photo then fingerprint and signature for my card. just gotta wait for the background clearance now
Old 02-05-2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickV110 View Post

thanks.
Go to the assessor's web site and look up your address and pull the property tax records.
I did get a copy of the grant deed from the mortgage company, but all she cared about was my most recent property tax bill.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-05-2016, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matix101 View Post
I dont have mine yet so this is just a guess, but are you a resident here permanantly?
And are your other ccw's non resident?
Maybe they think you dont live her primarily with all those other ccw's.
But idk man, that's a major bummer sorry to hear that.
Denial for residency would be stated as such, he was denied for GMC.

This is the 2nd Calgunner denied for this in the last 6 months.

Mudweeds:
Ditto what mstrmin said.
2005 is pretty recent... just barely outside of the 10 year window that they look most closely at.
The AZ/NV/UT/FL permits are meaningless when it comes to supporting GMC because those states are all shall-issue. Their application is basically a 4473, main difference is Florida will deny if you have multiple DUI within the last 3 years.
Likewise, the bsis exposed weapons permit is related to employment and is not a license to carry 24/7. If your prior issues involved drugs or alcohol, then again, what people do when on duty at work is often different from what they do on their own time.

The basis for a GMC denial?
Employment check... 5 simple questions, but work ethic/reliability issues could be a problem.
Neighborhood check... loud parties, fights with neighbors, racist comments, neighbor reporting suspected drug use.
And of course... the legal background check.

It could have been any one, or it could have been a combination of things, things that the agent you spoke with who said "don't worry" would not have been aware of yet.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2016, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydad2010 View Post
Had my interview today, exactly 90 days from application/Sarah's phone call.
Interviewer was professional and very sharp. After review of my originals and
taking what he needed from my copies, he left me with a questionnaire regarding my past, and some do and don't pages to sign while he went to run DMV. When he came back he did a review of my answers. Then directed to LiveScan. It was 1100 by then and was told to sign list and be back by 1300. When I returned the list was very long, and the technicians were advising LiveScan folks that the wait would be 2 hours. Bottom line in at 0945 for the 1000 interview time, out at 1345. Detective told me that soon, the applicant will be able to complete process at the counter. Also that by the time I renew, THAT process will also change. Overall a great experience with a very professional group of officers.
Had about the same exact experience, on the same day. In at 8:45 for 9am Interview and waited a couple hours for a 10 minute LiveScan. Then back to the office where all the fingerprint folks were out to lunch. Went to lunch myself and came back for a quick thumb print and done. The officer i interviewed with was very professional also. They did say that the DOJ work was taking more like 120 days currently also.

A couple things struck me as odd during the process though. They ask you to list all of your interactions with law enforcement for your entire life. If you were questioned or even arrested, for something that you did not do or were not plead, tried or convicted for, how would the information be of use to them in determining your fitness? Also, I was under the impression that all juvenile records were automatically sealed at the age of 18. If that is the case, then what right would they have to ask about issues in your childhood. I am pretty sure that I probably forgot at least one moving violation and accident, but it gets a little fuzzy when you are talking 38 years of driving memory. They ask some questions that seem to be testing how truthful you are in answering more than providing them information (Have you ever lost your temper?). And, of course, there were the 15 or so questions that were asked 3 times on paper and one or more times verbally.
Old 02-07-2016, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandrew View Post
A couple things struck me as odd during the process though. They ask you to list all of your interactions with law enforcement for your entire life. If you were questioned or even arrested, for something that you did not do or were not plead, tried or convicted for, how would the information be of use to them in determining your fitness? Also, I was under the impression that all juvenile records were automatically sealed at the age of 18. If that is the case, then what right would they have to ask about issues in your childhood.
No such thing as sealed documents when applying for a CCW. Even if you had sealed documents, they will find out and question you for it.
Old 02-07-2016, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
No such thing as sealed documents when applying for a CCW. Even if you had sealed documents, they will find out and question you for it.
Yep.
Same for that "stop and talk" at the park 10 years ago.
You don't know what was documented. If you provided ID, you were probably run for warrants so the contact was logged.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2016, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandrew View Post
Had about the same exact experience, on the same day. In at 8:45 for 9am Interview and waited a couple hours for a 10 minute LiveScan. Then back to the office where all the fingerprint folks were out to lunch. Went to lunch myself and came back for a quick thumb print and done. The officer i interviewed with was very professional also. They did say that the DOJ work was taking more like 120 days currently also.

A couple things struck me as odd during the process though. They ask you to list all of your interactions with law enforcement for your entire life. If you were questioned or even arrested, for something that you did not do or were not plead, tried or convicted for, how would the information be of use to them in determining your fitness? Also, I was under the impression that all juvenile records were automatically sealed at the age of 18. If that is the case, then what right would they have to ask about issues in your childhood. I am pretty sure that I probably forgot at least one moving violation and accident, but it gets a little fuzzy when you are talking 38 years of driving memory. They ask some questions that seem to be testing how truthful you are in answering more than providing them information (Have you ever lost your temper?). And, of course, there were the 15 or so questions that were asked 3 times on paper and one or more times verbally.
IMO they should not ask you about anything over ten years ago especially if had nothing to do with being arrested or accused of a violent crime. The fact is people forget or sometimes not even aware of what info some agency may have on them and only current verifiable info should be taken into account when making a decision on a CCW issue.

This is the reason we need a state standard that all IA's have to follow and that standard should be available to everyone even before you apply for a CCW, also any info that the a IA can pull up on you should be made available to you just for the asking even if they have charge a small fee for the info.
Old 02-07-2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Yep.
Same for that "stop and talk" at the park 10 years ago.
You don't know what was documented. If you provided ID, you were probably run for warrants so the contact was logged.
Indeed, I had an incident years ago where I was harassed by my friend's neighbor. My friend and I went to the local pd and filed a complaint against him. When I went to go apply for CCW, my interviewing officer and asked me about a vandalism report that was on my records. In the beginning I had no clue what he was talking about, but after providing me some more details, I clearly explained to him the situation.
Old 02-07-2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dale View Post
IMO they should not ask you about anything over ten years ago especially if had nothing to do with being arrested or accused of a violent crime. The fact is people forget or sometimes not even aware of what info some agency may have on them and only current verifiable info should be taken into account when making a decision on a CCW issue.
When I was handed the supplemental question sheet, she indicated to read and answer each question, quote "emphasis on ever" as each question began "Have you ever" or something like that.

So they are *asking* for everything.
On the phone, when I was discussing residence and job history with Sarah, she indicated that they only needed to go back 10 years (I had already ordered my SSI records because I could not recall specific dates from the 80s).
There is no indication in the paperwork that they only wanted 10 years, so I was accurate to the month and year on residence and job changes as best I could recall.

I did express concern that of my previous employers, only one was still in business with a valid phone number/contact person. It was a non-issue.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2016, 8:17 PM
membrum ex machina
CGN Contributor

To everyone that attended today's renewal class at 3rd st: thank you for helping to make a smooth running, well conducted session. Past classes have been bogged down with loud mouths and know-it-alls. Today went very well.
Mark 16:16
Old 02-12-2016, 1:27 PM

How does the process of renewal work in San Bernardino? Do you have to resubmit all the paperwork (Birth cert, gas bill... etc)?
Old 02-12-2016, 1:36 PM
membrum ex machina
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diese View Post
How does the process of renewal work in San Bernardino? Do you have to resubmit all the paperwork (Birth cert, gas bill... etc)?
A new application, with utility bill and property tax bill/lease, new background check and a 4 hour class. No birth certificate or live scan, etc. Fees for the class, the background, and the license. Can only do additions at time of renewal now

Sent from a remote location
Old 02-12-2016, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
A new application, with utility bill and property tax bill/lease, new background check and a 4 hour class. No birth certificate or live scan, etc. Fees for the class, the background, and the license. Can only do additions at time of renewal now

4 hour class including range, or is range only needed when making a change?

Quote:
Old 02-12-2016, 3:57 PM
membrum ex machina
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
4 hour class including range, or is range only needed when making a change?
Range only needed when making a change

Old 02-12-2016, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
Range only needed when making a change
Cool.

That's what it sounded like when you referred to Tuesday's class at Third St.
I didn't THINK you'd hold class at the HQ then drive to the range for qualification.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 PM

Default employeer knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoomedman View Post
Yeah this part blows. If they must continue to contact they really shouldn't say what it's for. Should be confidential and left up to you to explain the reason.

Oh gee that happens from time to time because you son has a top secret clearance and they periodically check up his immediate family. Whatever to deflect and keep going without other questions and nobody thinking you are a nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually asked my employeer for a letter of recommendation.

This does 2 things:

1. covers your *** if gun is seen by someone at work, you can just tell them non of their business.
2. IT MAY BE a very helpful letter to have to back-up your reason for CCW

Last edited by huey chief; 02-15-2016 at 10:17 PM..
Old 02-16-2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huey chief View Post
I actually asked my employeer for a letter of recommendation.

This does 2 things:

1. covers your *** if gun is seen by someone at work, you can just tell them non of their business.
2. IT MAY BE a very helpful letter to have to back-up your reason for CCW
Negative ghostrider.

You have a point with #1, though honestly, it really is none of their business. If your boss is aware, simply inform them that the company is aware of it.

For #2, in San Bernardino, there is no need to back up the good cause statement.
The letter will not even been looked at by the interviewer... it will be pushed back across the counter with any other extraneous documents you may have brought.
Even worse, if your employer indicates that you need the CCW for your employment, your permit MAY possibly be specifically restricted from the workplace. All permits are marked "Not valid for employment"
SBSD does not want to have their permit holders using the permit to carry as security people.

If you have a good relationship with your employer and the HR department, and you know it will be well-received, then it won't hurt to give them a heads-up that you are applying and for them to look for the employment verification letter shortly after your interview.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2016, 7:41 AM

Do I need to notify SBCSD of an employment change, or do I just show the change at renewal?

I know it says to notify SBCSD, in writing, of any changes of address within ten days; but I assume that means residential address. I know they are busy so I didn't really want to call.
Old 02-17-2016, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dale View Post
...The fact is people forget or sometimes not even aware of what info some agency may have on them and only current verifiable info should be taken into account when making a decision on a CCW issue.

This is the reason we need a state standard that all IA's have to follow and that standard should be available to everyone even before you apply for a CCW....
The standard, as far as the bare minimum, is there (no disqualifying convictions and that's it). But as you've said, IAs don't have to follow it. We know that the SBSD has its own "standards" but they are not published or otherwise available to mere commoners, so for all we know you can be disqualified because of how you voted or the tone of your skin or what you had for breakfast.

The state's requirements are relatively easy to understand, and though they are somewhat onerous, they're not difficult to follow. Freedom-loving sheriffs simply make sure they comply with the law, and that's it. They issue strictly per the law and respect carry as a right which make them virtually shall-issue. Self-important sheriffs play all these sorts of politically-masturbatory games with internal "standards," and all sorts of checks that ultimately won't make a difference in the streets. SBSD is simply not virtual shall-issue.

Last edited by Nopal; 02-17-2016 at 8:17 AM..
Old 02-17-2016, 8:21 AM

Default San Bernardino

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdafer View Post
Do I need to notify SBCSD of an employment change, or do I just show the change at renewal?

I know it says to notify SBCSD, in writing, of any changes of address within ten days; but I assume that means residential address. I know they are busy so I didn't really want to call.

I asked the same question when I renewed in November because I was looking at a new job. They told me I only need to tell them when I renew.

If you have any questions, I wouldn't be afraid to call. Even though they are busy, they are still very receptive. They would rather you get the right info, then act in the wrong info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2016, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorousAria View Post
If you have any questions, I wouldn't be afraid to call. Even though they are busy, they are still very receptive. They would rather you get the right info, then act in the wrong info.
This.

The staff is GREAT and I've never once felt rushed or felt like they resented my call. They are always more than willing to answer any questions.

Quote:
Old 02-18-2016, 9:06 AM

Thanks for the replies SonorousAria and Cokebottle!
Old 02-18-2016, 7:23 PM

My interview is tomorrow at 10am.
Old 02-18-2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
Good luck. Relax you'll be alright
Old 02-18-2016, 7:37 PM

Quote:
You got this...

Relax,

Let the them do their job.

Answer the questions honestly and succinctly.

Don't offer answers to questions they don't ask

Dress a little nicer than usual.

Don't offer additional info that you think will help.

You'll be fine ...

Carry Safely, Carry Discreetly, Carry Daily ...
Old 02-19-2016, 4:02 PM

How long has the City of Redlands been offering CCW?
http://www.cityofredlands.org/police/ccw
Old 02-19-2016, 4:11 PM

Cool

Thanks for the words guys. It helped. I was filling out the final two page questions and the officer walked back in and asked how many I had answered yes to. I told him 8 or 10 I guess. He tells me 4 is the max. I was like oh no, then he tells me just kidding. He got a laugh from my answer on detained or questioned by police, "no, not that I remember".
Good news was he gave me back my money order and paper work for Live Scan and told me it was thru the double doors.
Thank you Deputy Perea.
Old 02-19-2016, 4:33 PM

Made application on 12/15/15
Interview & Live Scan 02/19/16
Old 02-19-2016, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the words guys. It helped.

I was filling out the final two page questions and the officer walked back in and asked how many I had answered yes to.

I told him 8 or 10 I guess. He tells me 4 is the max.

I was like oh no,

then he tells me just kidding.

He got a laugh from my answer on detained or questioned by police, "no, not that I remember".

Good news was he gave me back my money order and paper work for Live Scan and told me it was thru the double doors.

Thank you Deputy Perea.
Now you get to tell this story to the next guy stressing out about their interview ...

Glad to hear everything went well.

Carry Safely, Carry Discreetly, Carry Daily ...
Old 02-20-2016, 9:31 AM

I have my SB county ccw interview set for 6/27. I'm 62, own a home, steady job, and stay out of trouble. I think I have good moral character, but then I may be biased.

Sixteen years ago I applied to LA county to be a sherrif's deputy. A conversation with a recruiter led me to believe that drug use as a teen would not be disqualifying. Determined to be perfectly honest I met my BI confessed to extensive drug use from age 16-21, dozens of moving traffic violations, two non drug arrests (no convictions), a few fights, stealing from an employer and more. I was summarily rejected on moral grounds and a history of narcotic use.

I have no doubt my LA County Sherrif's Dept application will come up and I see a steel door being slammed shut immediately. I don't want to waste my time or the investigators.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2016, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothill View Post
I have my SB county ccw interview set for 6/27. I'm 62, own a home, steady job, and stay out of trouble. I think I have good moral character, but then I may be biased.

Sixteen years ago I applied to LA county to be a sherrif's deputy. A conversation with a recruiter led me to believe that drug use as a teen would not be disqualifying. Determined to be perfectly honest I met my BI confessed to extensive drug use from age 16-21, dozens of moving traffic violations, two non drug arrests (no convictions), a few fights, stealing from an employer and more. I was summarily rejected on moral grounds and a history of narcotic use.

I have no doubt my LA County Sherrif's Dept application will come up and I see a steel door being slammed shut immediately. I don't want to waste my time or the investigators.

Any thoughts?
Your negative history was a long time ago. You've been clean since. I say go for it
Old 02-20-2016, 10:22 AM

I would thing with the time that has passed you stand a good chance.
I wouldn't let it slow you down. Stay the course.