Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Default How to handle a home burglary? Report worth it?

I strongly suspect someone entered my apartment this morning with me in it but I didn't get a look at them and am not sure if they took anything. (door wide open, someone running away when they saw my dog.) I called the PD later in the morning and they want to send an officer out to file the report.

1. Is it worth it for me? Them? We don't have cameras in the building or anything.

2. I obviously own firearms and also happen to own 2 dogs, one of which looks menacing. How are LEOs with dogs in the house? Is warning them beforehand sufficient? Should I lock him up? <--if I lock him up he'll smell a strange person in the house near me and FLIP HIS $*#*. It'll be pandemonium in my small apartment but at least the officers won't have to deal with him directly. He's otherwise very friendly.

3. What's important info for them? What are they going to want to do inside my apartment? I'm a law abiding citizen but also don't love the idea of someone tearing through my stuff.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-2014, 1:03 PM

Report it. They don't have to put pen to paper but they can be aware of it.
Old 08-12-2014, 1:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Report it, you may find that something was taken that is not obvious to you at this time. It is also better to have it documented as it may help reveal a pattern of crimes in the neighborhood and make it easier for the police to catch the guy. Not to mention that if you do end up catching someone in your apartment at a later date and are forced to take action, you have documentation of previous break ins.

As far as your 2 & 3. don't believe all the garbage posted in OT. Everything will be fine.

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by retired; 08-15-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 1:19 PM

This may be good cause for you to get a ccw
Old 08-12-2014, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
Report it, you may find that something was taken that is not obvious to you at this time. It is also better to have it documented as it may help reveal a pattern of crimes in the neighborhood and make it easier for the police to catch the guy. Not to mention that if you do end up catching someone in your apartment at a later date and are forced to take action, you have documentation of previous break ins.

As far as your 2 & 3. don't believe all the garbage posted in OT. Everything will be fine.
This. What if five other apartments had the same experience but nobody reported it. Maybe there is a pattern they should know about. Just put the dogs in a room and shut the door.

Last edited by retired; 08-15-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 1:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Report it. They might not do much about it, but this type of burglary is pretty high profile. If they start getting a rash of them, at least it's documented.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 08-12-2014, 1:43 PM

So the dog will flip his **** if there's a cop in the house, but you didn't mention anything about your dog flipping his **** during the incident. If someone opened my door and ran away with the door open my dog would definitely run after him, just for the fun alone.

Are you sure you didn't leave the door open? Sometimes my front door blows open when I don't close it 100%.

The cops are just going to take a report. They have no reason to "rifle through your stuff". If you're sure someone opened the door, I would file a report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
Every time some idiot politician in Sacramento proposes a new anti-gun bill, I build an AR.
Old 08-12-2014, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Report it, incase you need to contact your insurance agent.
Old 08-12-2014, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheGrave View Post
So the dog will flip his **** if there's a cop in the house, but you didn't mention anything about your dog flipping his **** during the incident. If someone opened my door and ran away with the door open my dog would definitely run after him, just for the fun alone.

Are you sure you didn't leave the door open? Sometimes my front door blows open when I don't close it 100%.

The cops are just going to take a report. They have no reason to "rifle through your stuff". If you're sure someone opened the door, I would file a report.

I should clarify: I didn't leave it open, I left it unlocked - lesson learned. I just finished walking the dog and was getting ready to put them away and leave for work. I was in another room when the big dog flipped out and ran next to me giving warning barks and on alert.

I went to look and my front door was wide open and I heard someone leaving the building downstairs in a hurry. The reason I said "suspect" is because I didn't see the person, just heard them and saw what they did. There is some possibility that a series of coincidences led to this that weren't burglary but they're not high. The dog doesn't flip out when the front door is open unless someone strange is inside.

I'll just lock the dogs in the bedroom and let them go nuts. I think my assumptions on letting LEO into my apartment are way off base and I'd feel pretty horrible if it happened again to someone else and they got hurt.
Old 08-12-2014, 3:46 PM

Oh gotcha. Sounds like a good dog! I think you owe him or her a steak dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
Every time some idiot politician in Sacramento proposes a new anti-gun bill, I build an AR.
Old 08-12-2014, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheGrave View Post
Oh gotcha. Sounds like a good dog! I think you owe him or her a steak dinner.
HA! That's what my wife said. Steak he'll get...

Also I forgot to thank everyone for their help. Thank you all for the quick replies and bringing me back to reality.
Old 08-12-2014, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Report it.

Any cctv cameras at your apt? Check with the manager and see if you can see who is around your apt/may have entered the appt. Provide photos to the officer who comes to file the report.
"The message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Old 08-12-2014, 7:40 PM

1. Absolutely report it. Call the non emergency line an the dispatcher will walk you through everything, don't stress. Even if there is no evidence, my first stop would be to find any probationers/parolees remotely near your house and pay them a visit. Let them know I'm paying attention and I know someone is messing around.

2. You have a great dog.

3. Keep your guns locked up but quickly available for this exact situation.

4. Lock your doors!
Old 08-12-2014, 8:08 PM

Definitely check for cameras and if it bothers you report it. There are few things that annoy me as much as when people complain about a crime spree (not saying you are complaining...) in their neighborhood and how the police aren't doing anything to stop it yet when I ask if any of the incidents have been reported the answer is "no." As others have said, the only way law enforcement can detect emerging crime trends is if they get reported in the first place.

As to your other questions, I think we are all on the same page now. Definitely give Fido a reward; that's exactly what you want him to do.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 08-13-2014, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post

As far as your 2 & 3. Lay off the coffee and don't believe all the garbage posted in OT. Everything will be fine.
THIS PLUS 10. Report it.
Old 08-13-2014, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbackouris View Post
1. my first stop would be to find any probationers/parolees remotely near your house and pay them a visit. Let them know I'm paying attention and I know someone is messing around.
This is awesome advice! Please go try it and let us know how that works out...
Old 08-13-2014, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Get your security in order.

If it was a neighborhood kid or rat, they might pay attention to the LEO at your home.

Many Leo's track stats. The wise ones deploy resources to where they are needed.

Your report helps them understand where they are needed.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLT View Post
I strongly suspect someone entered my apartment this morning with me in it but I didn't get a look at them and am not sure if they took anything. (door wide open, someone running away when they saw my dog.) I called the PD later in the morning and they want to send an officer out to file the report.

1. Is it worth it for me? Them? We don't have cameras in the building or anything.

2. I obviously own firearms and also happen to own 2 dogs, one of which looks menacing. How are LEOs with dogs in the house? Is warning them beforehand sufficient? Should I lock him up? <--if I lock him up he'll smell a strange person in the house near me and FLIP HIS $*#*. It'll be pandemonium in my small apartment but at least the officers won't have to deal with him directly. He's otherwise very friendly.

3. What's important info for them? What are they going to want to do inside my apartment? I'm a law abiding citizen but also don't love the idea of someone tearing through my stuff.

Thanks in advance!
Report it. Document it, so if he/she is caught at a later date they can stack the charges on him/her. Residential burglary is a strikable offense. Easy one page report for officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralston View Post
Report it. They don't have to put pen to paper but they can be aware of it.
Exactly. And can increase patrol checks in area.
[QUOTE=Che762x39;14653914]Go decaf amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"

Last edited by retired; 08-15-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Old 08-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brl0301 View Post
This is awesome advice! Please go try it and let us know how that works out...
Huh? As a LEO following up on burglaries in the area, I frequently contacted known parolees as part of my investigation. They have lots of search provisions, making it a lot easier.

Leopards don't change their spots, and parolees rarely change their ways.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 08-14-2014, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Huh? As a LEO following up on burglaries in the area, I frequently contacted known parolees as part of my investigation. They have lots of search provisions, making it a lot easier.

Leopards don't change their spots, and parolees rarely change their ways.
I think I may have misread what was being said... I read it as advice for the homeowner to go do himself. I agree that its something I would be doing if I had burgs going on and knew of parolees or probationers in the area. Gotta love search terms makes work much easier sometimes. Sorry for the confusion