Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-09-2013, 7:13 AM

Default Background Prep.

I've applied with a local S.O. and notified yesterday I ranked in band A. What can I do to prepare myself for the background if I get selected so I have everything together? I have a sealed copy of my high school transcript, I do not have a college one as I am still attending and waiting on grades from last quarter still.

I also did some footwork already and hunted down my previous tickets and accidents which was a chore. I had one in 2006 that I went to traffic school for so DMV had no record, I went to the courthouse, they had no record either, at least I got to beat the heat in the A/C for a few hourse neither did the agency who cited me... Hopefully a rough estimate of year and month will suffice? I've also been hit in company vehicles so I had to talk to my old employers and get records.

I don't want to get canned for with holding something I honestly do not remember or for providing inaccurate information.

As far as people I know would a list of phone numbers be ok or do they usually want addresses as well? How about neighbors?

Thanks very much guys for taking the time to read as well as advice in my other threads asking for help in the oral panels.
Old 07-09-2013, 7:57 AM

Yes, I couldnt find some info about tickets I wrote the year and approx month and explained it durring my interview when they asked me. Get a list of ALL your jobs and places where you lived. Get a list and all the info of people you may want to use as references. Get family members phone numbers, addresses, email, etc. Let the people who youve chosen as references know so they are ready to send the questionare back ASAP.
Old 07-09-2013, 8:13 AM

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy182 View Post
Yes, I couldnt find some info about tickets I wrote the year and approx month and explained it durring my interview when they asked me. Get a list of ALL your jobs and places where you lived. Get a list and all the info of people you may want to use as references. Get family members phone numbers, addresses, email, etc. Let the people who youve chosen as references know so they are ready to send the questionare back ASAP.
Just my $.02 about references. I have never applied to be a LEO but I did need a Federal Background Check in my present job, which I geuss would be very similar. One thing that held me up was my references not returning the questionaire in a timely fashion. You may think they will, but life gets in the way sometimes. I would suggest that once they receive and complete it, you go and physically pick it up from them and you physically drop it in the mail, or better yet, deliver it directly to the agency that has requested it. I hear this from nearly every new hire that this is what holds up their application. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 AM

I never thought of that thank you.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM

You can also go to the Social Security office and ask for a printout of your work history.
This will include dates and addresses.

Old 07-09-2013, 5:53 PM

A rough estimate re: ticket or accident many years ago should be fine. I'd be sure and explain the steps you took to try and track the info down.

As far as references, be sure and provide addresses whenever possible. In my opinion, if you put someone down with a valid phone number but no address it shows a lack of effort because all you had to do is just call them to get their address. If they are genuinely unavailable (say they just moved in June and are now out of the country in Europe on vacation or something), just put the number. Obviously if they give you directions that say to only put down phone numbers, then only provide those.
Old 07-10-2013, 3:45 PM

Ill sweat it out like everyone else. Good character builder, and a contribution on my salary he'd probably laugh at lol.
Old 07-10-2013, 4:22 PM

For my FBI 10 year background, I had to track down everything and list arrests where no files were charged (crazy ex gf). Letters were sent out to all contacts for confirmation. Had people calling me like crazy asking what it was about. There were 2 former addresses where I didn't get along with the former roommates any longer, but it didn't seem to hold me up.

Fingerprinting was interesting because livescan wasn't in effect yet. I had sprained my ankle and was on crutches. Crutched on in to the downtown USMS office, security questioned me and said I had to go to the Sheriffs for fingerprinting. I said USMS and my boss told me to come here.

As I started crutching away, with my phone dialing my boss, they stop me and said that they were just testing me to make sure that I was supposed to be there. I wasn't able to crutch on in because of the metal detector. More like hop on in. Those bastards.

Basically required for any work with the Federal Government. YMMV
Old 07-10-2013, 8:06 PM

That sucks but at least you made it through.
Old 08-12-2013, 9:48 PM

Thanks again to everyone who has offered help and answered questions for me.