Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-26-2011, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPR View Post
Did you take note of your groups at all?
That's kind of an apples-vs-oranges argument, duncha think? There are no "groups" to speak of if the rifle won't cycle the round.

I'm guessing that the Melonite-lined barrel of the M&P15 will probably tolerate the fouling caused by dirty, steel-cased ammo better than a chrome-lined barrel. I'm also guess that a Daniel Defense rifle is probably a superior build overall to the SM&P15 Sport model, and can yield better accuracy.

The trade-off seems to exhibit a good decision on S&Ws part, given that this will likely be a first rifle for many.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 10-26-2011, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Did you take note of your groups at all?
With the steel I did not.
With miwall reload I pulled 2in @ 100 yards.
I must say I am a little impressed with the mp15 sport.
It is definitely a shooter and for a 730dollar AR I am very impressed!
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTactics View Post
That's kind of an apples-vs-oranges argument, duncha think? There are no "groups" to speak of if the rifle won't cycle the round.

I'm guessing that the Melonite-lined barrel of the M&P15 will probably tolerate the fouling caused by dirty, steel-cased ammo better than a chrome-lined barrel. I'm also guess that a Daniel Defense rifle is probably a superior build overall to the SM&P15 Sport model, and can yield better accuracy.

The trade-off seems to exhibit a good decision on S&Ws part, given that this will likely be a first rifle for many.
Was just interested in the sport as it pertains to this thread. Am aware of the DD performance and quality. Mainly looking at entry level rifles to get my brother for Christmas. He keeps dropping hints and he's not getting an LWRC, DD, Larue, or other like rifle for a present, lol. If he wants one of them he can fork out his own cash Figure something like the sport with a case of ammo will be nice and cost me less than a grand.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
― Heraclitus
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

REPR, if you were my brother & bought me an M&P 15 sport with a case of ammoI would be extremely happy.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 10-26-2011, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

Quote:
... Mainly looking at entry level rifles to get my brother for Christmas. ...
I'm guessing the M&P15 Sport is a pretty good choice from all reports. Merry Christmas, and if your mom-n-dad aren't above adopting a 51-year-old son ... no, too creepy.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 10-26-2011, 2:52 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing the M&P15 Sport is a pretty good choice from all reports. Merry Christmas, and if your mom-n-dad aren't above adopting a 51-year-old son ... no, too creepy.
Just a tad, lol. But seriously the sport does look like a good beginner rifle for him. Something simple yet seems reliable.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
― Heraclitus
Old 10-26-2011, 3:50 PM
CGN Contributor

It's built very well and is a great value. Why did they change the rear site from the the MBUS flip to fixed in the CA version?

By the way, selling the upper on this rifle in the market.
Old 10-26-2011, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Guys,

I got my MP15 sport and CMMG 22LR conversion bolt last week, not getting time to go to the out door range to shoot 223s. Do you guys think it will be OK to shoot 22LR first with my brand new sport at my indoor range? any opinions/comments?

thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3000 View Post
Guys,

I got my MP15 sport and CMMG 22LR conversion bolt last week, not getting time to go to the out door range to shoot 223s. Do you guys think it will be OK to shoot 22LR first with my brand new sport at my indoor range? any opinions/comments?

thanks
You make me sick, just kidding But seriously just wait for the outdoor range, and give us a range report if possible. Remember, every time you use a 22 conversion kit a kitten dies.
― Heraclitus

Last edited by REPR; 10-27-2011 at 12:28 AM..
Old 10-28-2011, 8:11 AM

Anyone know offhand who's got the best prices on these gems? DDs Ranch?
Old 10-28-2011, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

DDs has them for $649 ... but it seems like transfer + shipping would bring it up higher than local prices. The best place locally (where I am anyway, lol) seems to be Sacramento Black Rifle ... $699 and they always seem to be in stock. Wild Sports has had them on sale for $650, but they never seem to actually HAVE one.

Old 10-28-2011, 8:57 AM

I see Buds has them, but I'm not clear whether they ship to CA as their terms of sale say no semi-autos to CA. On CA legal rifle. WTF?
Old 10-28-2011, 9:41 AM

Have had mine a few months now, 1,000 + rounds and not one issue or failure of any kind, cleans like new every single time, and just gets more accurate as you use it. I mainly have been shooting 5.56 Penatrater rounds, but a co-worker has been reloading them after the fact and the reloads fire just as accurate and just as flawless, highly recommend this rifle to anyone on a budget!
Old 10-28-2011, 9:59 AM

Sweet. Just ordered mine from Buds for $616 plus free shipping. Good stuff.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 AM

What parts need to be lubed? bolt?

Sorry newbie.

thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Tracy rifle n pistol has em 729 out the door.
Our dogs bite
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Just spray wd40 around the bolt
Our dogs bite
Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Just spray wd40 around the bolt
Can i apply Hoppes lubricant on the surface of the bolt?

thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

AR likes to run wet.
Old 10-28-2011, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

Guys,

My MP 15 sport front barrel cover is little loose, how can i tighten it? or is it normal to have little play?

thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 9:11 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

When they say Melonite, are they referring to the external finish of the barrel or internal? Pretty standard to see bare Steel like a del-ton or chrome lined?

I must say, the M&P has peaked my interest as a beater AR to run cheaper ammo though... People seem to be having good luck with steel cased ammo.

What real advantages does melonite bring to the table? Is this same/simmilar to the tennifer finish glock uses on the slide?
Old 10-28-2011, 9:47 PM

Can't make up my mind if I should buy one of these or start a custom build...
Old 10-28-2011, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
...When they say Melonite, are they referring to the external finish of the barrel or internal? Pretty standard to see bare Steel like a del-ton or chrome lined? ...
The barrel is Melonite treated both internal and external.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The barrel is Melonite treated both internal and external.
So how has your torture testing been going? Any results?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

I haven't done anything truly torturous yet, lol ... stay tuned.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Does it cycle WPA / Wolf ammo w/o any problems?

Im thinking of getting one of these as my beater... Dont plan on feeding anything but steel cased ammo. Need a cheap AR for run & gun, so its going to get beat on. Either I build off a lower and get a cheap barrel, or one of these. For the price, im thinking M&P Sport.
Old 10-29-2011, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

Does most of the ARs have that springy feel after the shot? My MP 15 sport also has that sprigy feel.

thanks
Old 10-29-2011, 8:56 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3000 View Post
Does most of the ARs have that springy feel after the shot? My MP 15 sport also has that sprigy feel.

thanks
not sure what is meant by "springy feel"... there is a spring in the buffer tube of course - and as discussed earlier in the thread all ARs have the "sound" - I'm not so sure about a "feel"...
Old 10-29-2011, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
not sure what is meant by "springy feel"... there is a spring in the buffer tube of course - and as discussed earlier in the thread all ARs have the "sound" - I'm not so sure about a "feel"...
Sorry, i mean spring sound.

thanks
Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'll be running several hundred round of Wolf, along with XM193 and M855 through it over the coming weeks ... stay tuned to my YouTube channel for the reports.

Old 10-29-2011, 2:46 PM
Made in the USA

just found (what I consider to be) a pretty serious drawback (imo)...

I've been using the bullet button that came with the rifle, but picked up a Radlock convertible bullet button today (for use in free states)... went to swap them out and the original bullet button wont come out - actually broke one of the prongs on the BB wrench trying to turn it.

I did some internet research (not a whole lot about this) - and from what I can tell, S&W must have used epoxy to permanently install the original BB

If anyone has a method to remove the S&W installed BB please post how to... I really dont want to drill it out and chance damaging anything... it sux that (if) they made this completely permanent.
Old 10-29-2011, 6:15 PM

Just traded for one, i am looking forward to picking this up in a few days.
Old 10-29-2011, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
just found (what I consider to be) a pretty serious drawback (imo)...

I've been using the bullet button that came with the rifle, but picked up a Radlock convertible bullet button today (for use in free states)... went to swap them out and the original bullet button wont come out - actually broke one of the prongs on the BB wrench trying to turn it.

I did some internet research (not a whole lot about this) - and from what I can tell, S&W must have used epoxy to permanently install the original BB

If anyone has a method to remove the S&W installed BB please post how to... I really dont want to drill it out and chance damaging anything... it sux that (if) they made this completely permanent.
Well you scared the heck out of me, lol. My plans are for this to be a "project rifle", and anything like this would make it a waste of money for me.
Mine is not not held in with epoxy and can be readily removed. I can't say that I know enough about Bullet-Buttons to tell whether the retaining nut is an odd design or not, but it did throw me for a loop at first.

I'll definitely do a video on this, as I am sure we aren't the only ones who will encounter this issue.

Last edited by ZombieTactics; 10-29-2011 at 8:58 PM..
Old 10-29-2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Well you scared the heck out of me, lol. My plans are for this to be a "project rifle", and anything like this would make it a waste of money for me.

Soooo, I put on my reverse-engineers hat and went at it. The BB installed by S&W uses an odd retaining nut, and it's pretty sneaky the way it is almost hidden. It's definitely not held in with epoxy and can be readily removed if you know what to do.

I'll definitely do a video on this, as I am sure we aren't the only ones who will encounter this issue.
Yep, they tried to pull a fast one. I used a small screwdriver to get mine off. I didnt have a BB tool. After I figured out what they did, it took about 15sec to get it off.
Old 10-30-2011, 5:36 AM

Forgive the noob as I am a noob to black rifle, but is it possible to put a red dot on it given the tallish looking front sight? How would one go about installing a red dot?
Old 10-30-2011, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crya79 View Post
Forgive the noob as I am a noob to black rifle, but is it possible to put a red dot on it given the tallish looking front sight? How would one go about installing a red dot?
Yep, not a problem. Works just great. Some inexpensive value choices are the Vortex Sparc and Strikefire.

Old 10-30-2011, 9:40 AM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Mine is not not held in with epoxy and can be readily removed. I can't say that I know enough about Bullet-Buttons to tell whether the retaining nut is an odd design or not, but it did throw me for a loop at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331Marine View Post
Yep, they tried to pull a fast one. I used a small screwdriver to get mine off. I didnt have a BB tool. After I figured out what they did, it took about 15sec to get it off.
thanks for the info guys - good to know it will come off easily... I just wish I knew how

I tried using a flat-head in the two slots - was able to push in far enough to engage in the slots, but it wont turn... a how-to would be great (even though I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot if I find it's a simply oversight on my part).

and yes, ZombieTactics, we arent the only ones, as I found a few other forums with same topic - but no solution... a DIY vid (or even just written explanation) would be awesome! Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 AM

I always wondered if the lower of the M&P 15 sports is as good or the same as the the higher end model M&P 15, the reason I wanted to find out is I might buy the sports model then use the M&P lower with a better upper build, then use the M&P sports upper assembly on my Plumcrazy lower
Old 10-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Im thinking of getting one of these as my beater... Dont plan on feeding anything but steel cased ammo. Need a cheap AR for run & gun, so its going to get beat on. Either I build off a lower and get a cheap barrel, or one of these. For the price, im thinking M&P Sport.
Mine does. I mixed wpa steel and pmc in my mags went thru 200 rounds no probs at all.
Our dogs bite
Old 10-30-2011, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Shot 160 rounds of Federal 223s from walmart through my brand new MP 15 Sport today, and it went flawlessly. This is my first AR and never shot a AR before, so cant compare to other ARs but it shot with out any FTF or FTE.

Had feeding issues with very first mag, because I was being gentle with charging handle.

Guys who have shot MP 15 Sport and also have experience with other ARs, please post your comparison.

Also, can you guys recommend a good butt pad? the plastic stock against the shoulder is OK but not comfortable.

Thanks

Last edited by Raptor3000; 10-30-2011 at 3:14 PM..